50 and over 5k and beyond

Hi! (Read 120 times)

Crazy Diamond

Hello gang!

Ran the 2nd of 6 Winter Series race this morning.  After sitting for a week in the cramped jury box, my legs weren't exactly ready for it!  I hadn't been out for a run since Monday.  Worked long hours on Friday and Saturday to make up for missed worked due to the trial.  Signed up for the 10k a while ago, but had until race morning to switch to the 5k.  Decided to stick with the 6.2 distance and just run.  I was happy to be out in the sunshine, although it was 8 degrees w/ a brisk SW 12 mph wind. The route was a double out-and-back, relatively flat with a moderate hill at the turn-around.  Garmin time was 1:03.  Not a PR, but I've not been running consistently since the relay in October.  The race series is well run, benefits childhood cancer research and always a fun group to run with. Next up:  Running Into the New Year 10k at the State Fair grounds on New Year's Eve.

AZ~You have been getting in some great miles!  It sounds like you have been finding some interesting trails to run in MN.  Previously, I'd been called as a reserve juror (7 times!).  Didn't have to report to the courthouse, only had to call in. This was my first time on a jury.  It was emotionally exhausting, but met some wonderful people.  To see our judicial system in action was an eye-opening experience.  So thankful to live in this country!

Quo Vadis?

justrundan

Deb- nice 10K, especially after spending the week in a cramped jury box!  Kudos to you.

AZ- you're really developing a consistency even in the cold.  Good job.

Last run was over a week ago; came down with bad respiratory infection Monday, missed 1/2 day WEdnesday and got through the week.  I did go for a 2 mile walk Friday, but that just increased my cough.  Hoping to be out again by Tuesday, don't think I'm quite ready tomorrow.  Chilly here too, but not in the same league as northern MN.

Have a good week, enjoy some good runs.

Dan

Predicted frigid brutal cold temps/snow tomorrow so I know I had to get my butt out there today.  Don't want to run on TM unless absolutely necessary.  I drove to paved bike trail along the lake for my run.  About 33 degrees, feels like 22 degrees with the 15mph wind, actually wasn't as 'bad' as it sounds once I warmed up. Going out by noon helps. Ran 3.5 miles paved trail and about 1.5 miles on snowy cross-country trail, up and down the 'hills.' It was snowing the whole time I ran; trees are great windbreakers!!  After 5 miles, I took a walk break by walking back to the truck to drop off my sunglasses.  I still wanted to run longer, maybe 2-3 miles.  I can't believe what happened next!!   I stepped into a 'hole' (covered by leaves/snow) in the dirt parking lot and kinda 'tweaked' my left ankle (just the upper portion of it)!!  JEEEZZZZ!!  on flat terrain, dammit!!! I was so mad. S&%T!!!  Some colorful language under my breath.  So that pretty much ended my run, it was about 26 degrees when I left, getting more windy. Once home, I've been R-I-C-E. It's a little swollen but I can walk on it. It's one of those "R-I-C-E it for 2-5 days" and see how it feels. Poor ankle, so many injuries (from basketball mainly), they are pretty tough, still getting me out on the trail!!

Dan:  oh no!! I hope you're feeling better.  It's tough to just wait for the day when you can run again, I know Sad

Deb:  jealous of your racing!!  WAY TO GO on getting your runs in in these temps!! oh my 8 degrees!!!  But when the sun is out, it really makes a difference in motivation.  Great finish time!!

Crazy Diamond

AZ~hey, it sounds like someone is adapting pretty well to Minnesota's weather!  Wink Your turned ankle episode sounds like mine 5 weeks ago.  You're having a great run and then "WHERE DID THAT BLEEPIN' (insert: hole, rock, root, chestnut husk, ect.) COME FROM!"  RICE, RICE, RICE, and I hope you heal fast! ((hugs))

Dan~So sorry you are starting out the winter feeling crummy!  You'll be back out there before you know it.  Take care, and feel better soon.Smile

Snow and ice on the bike path, so headed to the indoor track today for a pleasant and safe 6+ miles.

Run strong friends, and have a wonderful Thanksgiving Day celebrating with family & friends!

Quo Vadis?

WDWRich

Hello Friends!

Nothing new to report.  Training is going well, running up to 8 miles on the weekends and shorter training runs and speed work during the week.  Mostly, I wanted to check in and wish you and your families a very Happy Thanksgiving.  Enjoy!

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

Rich:  Same to you and your family and loved ones.

And, to everyone else; safe and happy holidays!!

justrundan

Hoping to try starting the holiday run streak from Thanksgiving through new years day tomorrow.  My throat and chest may rebel, so I'll try to just get in 2 miles for starters.  Then it's off to pickup DD & her hubby and head to my sister-in-law and family for Thanksgiving dinner.

I'm thankful for the health to be able to run, and for all of you and your support!  Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Dan

justrundan

SLOW 3.4 this morning, 22 degrees.  lungs held up OK.

Dan

Crazy Diamond

I'm so thankful for all the support and inspiration from my Mighty Master friends!

Rich~Keep on keeping on with your training! Happy to read all is going so well.

AZ~I'll be thinking of you tomorrow as my family heads out to run/hike a section of the Ice Age Trail.  We'll do a winter picnic, too!

Dan~Yea!  You got out there and ran farther than you planned.  Wishing you all the best on running the holiday streak!  Last year I signed up for Coach Jenny Hadfield's Holiday Challenge and it really helped to keep me motivated.

DS1 and I headed out to the snow covered bike path for a pre-dinner run this afternoon.  Only a few dog walkers and 1 other runner (hardcore, in shorts!) on the path.  Mid 20F and a little breeze.  Hopefully the 4.5 miles I ran will cancel out the calories in the homemade cinnamon ice cream on top of the pumpkin tart for dessert!Wink

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

Deb:  AWESOME!!  That's the way to get an appetite for scrumptious dessert with no guilt!!  Joking

Big grin  Dan:  WAY TO GO!!  Glad your body held up to the demands of huffin' and puffin' in those cold temps!!

Dan, you have a healthy attitude in making that commitment; very realistic, and I know you will.  I don't think the distance matters that much unless you need to complete certain mileage each day but running at least a MILE every day till whenever was good enough for me.  Yet, once out there, you just keep going as long as you can.  I had to make sure I would be able to run the next day.  The longest I ever did was almost 6 months back in AZ while training for my first FM.  It was tough but I had to stop due to the '24 hr flu' (in summer is really crappy) which hit me like a freight train; whoa!! ....... set me back a couple of weeks.

Anyway, HIGH FIVE to you and Deb for running today.  This is the second year that I didn't run on this day.  I would have run today, at least a mile if my ankle was healthy.  But ankle is feeling so much better, will go for a run tomorrow and see how it holds up.

It snowed all day today, BEAUTIFUL winter wonderland.  So thankful for DH's health most of all.

Hey everyone! Hope all is well with each of you and time spent with loved ones was cherished.

I've noticed that there is just a few of us sharing our running on a consistent basis:  myself, Deb, Dan, and Rich mainly.

I lurk, now and then, in the master's "50 and over, 5k and beyond" topic, and it looks like their numbers are dwindling as well.

Ray, who started the topic of monthly runs, is in that group and sharing on a regular basis.

It sounds just like what we are sharing with each other.   No reason to be redundant, IMO.

So I wonder if we should just merge with them, there's not too many of them left in that group either.

What do you think?

justrundan

That sounds OK with me AZ; the more we can keep together for support, the better.

4 miles this morning on Baraboo's river walk.  Very peaceful, and didn't have to worry about hunter's out in the country!

Have a great weekend all!

Dan

Crazy Diamond

Agree.  I'll probably begin posting on the other forum beginning with the new week.  Miss all our ol' buddies!  Hope they are doing well.

Beautiful day of trail running and hiking yesterday.  It is one of my favorite areas to snowshoe and nordic ski, but not enough snow yet.  4 miles of trail running and 3 miles of hiking the advanced Moraine Ridge trail. Hills, hills and more hills!  Climbed to the top of the look out tower and the clear day made for excellent viewing.  Chili and cornbread in the warming cabin topped off a wonderful day.  The family agreed it was a much better alternative to the crunch of post-Thanksgiving shoppers at the mall.  Today, 8 miles at the indoor track.  Hey, I got a 3 day streak going!

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

justrundan

Deb- 3 days for me too, 13 miles total. Hoping to get out tomorrow after church, weather is still supposed to hold up OK.  Sending PM your way Deb.

See you all at the December run forum tomorrow!

Dan

Deb, Dan, Rich, and anyone else:  ok, majority wins, LOL!!  Will catch you all on the other forum (monthly runs) with Ray beginning Dec. 1st, Sunday.  Perfect timing!!