50 and over 5k and beyond

December 2016 Runs and Workouts (Read 12 times)

Chantilly75

3 miles @ 6AM

4 miles @ 10AM

30 minute walk.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Art in AZ

3 miles this morning. Temps in the upper 30s to lower 40s. In other words, it was cold for this boy.

Chantilly - Nice dual run. I like the avatar. Did you make that from the snow you had?

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Thursday, 12/1... another month in the books already...  9 mile tryke ride today on the railtrail.    Temp was mid 40's with the sun out when I started, but by 4.25 miles, it was raining.    Being the quick thinker that I am, I figured I'd better turn back soon or get wet...   I had adjusted the mechanism that propels the tryke to make it easier to row yesterday and it worked, but the length the handlebars travel back and forth when I row increased.   That slowed me down a bit, but overall I like the change.   As it was, the rain stopped shortly and I didn't get too wet...

Chantilly... I'm pretty sure foam rolling or a tennis ball to massage your muscles are also forms of myofascial release.   It's easy to find hotspots with your fingers, press on a knotted muscle and it'll hurt.   Once you find one, press down and hold for 30 seconds or more 'til you feel the muscle break apart.    There's a lot of video on the internet that explains it better than I just did if you'd like to try.    Nice workout today...

Art... do you have gloves for temps in the 30's?    My hands are the toughest thing for me to keep warm when it's cold.

justrundan

Happy December everyone.  I hope I'll make more than this one posting!

I've been running very infrequently, and doing some walking on TM early morning to get warmed up/woken up.  Also weekend hikes at Devil's Lake with weather allows.

PT has not scheduled me yet, so I need to call back and find out what's up.

November was, I think, an all time low since I started running.  O well, it happens.

Rich- you are very handy, getting the tryke adjusted for different action.  Nice!

Chantilly- You are very consistent despite your work schedule!

Art- Wow, that is chilly for you.

Still warmer than average around here, but it's headed in that direction.  Finally found someone to plow our long driveway after the man who had been doing it had to bail.  Now I'm not so worried about snow coming.

Dan

December?!? It's cold in northern MN!! overcast makes it more miserably dreary  No SUN in days!!

So got MRI on Wed, took almost 30 minutes of not moving, machine is loud but it was muffled with the headphones so I could listen to music while I took a nap. Next day, saw doc to discuss the problem.  The first thing she said was "I am amazed your knee has held up this long b/c it appears you HAD an ACL tear .......from long ago, I mean possibly YEARS ago." WHAT?!? Then, "with all your difficult uneven trail running, I'm amazed it kept you upright and running."  I know what ACL is/purpose/injury, etc. So (her) "the inflammation/pain (which I keep telling them it's not pain PAIN, just discomfort) radiates down the leg to your shin."  (me) No, I feel it radiate UP to the knee, from the lateral calf injury area, not SHIN area, of the tissues/muscles, not bone.  (she continues, not skipping a beat, while looking at her pager buzzing) "the scar tissue of the ACL and the healthier PCL are the only ones that's keeping your knee stable.  Additionally, the arthritis and bone spurs of the meniscus (had surgery in 95, and arthritis is a given) add to the inflammation/pain." (me, in my head) "I'm talking to myself. No one seems to be 'hearing' me."  Anyway, I asked all sorts of questions and finally 'options.'  (she, while she checks her pager buzzing again):  1) not do anything but R-I-C-E, try to run but it will probably become more aggravated/painful,  2) steroid injection in the knee to decrease inflammation & manage pain.  (me, in my head, I know decreasing inflammation helps the healing process but I hate any meds).  So running?  Possibly easy short distance running. (me:  seriously, 'short distances?!?')  Continue the injections when needed until it doesn't work anymore.  Preferably wear out the knee doing what I enjoy, running, if that's working w/ injections, until, 3) knee replacement surgery.   May or may not resume running again but can still stay active like easy cycling, swimming, walking, hiking ....... (me): yeah, yeah, I know.  Ok, I like the 'HIKING' and 'CYCLING' but not the 'EASY' part....  My own 4th option: second opinion.

So, she asked what I would like to do.  Ok, see PT again, try the dry-needling on the INJURY on my CALF AREA including myofascial release massages on back of knee and calf area, and anything else PT suggests till the end of the month.  Then in January, will consider steroid injection, see how it feels while I start to increase exercises with some jog/walk/jog.  In Feb, will see if I need another injection before I leave for AZ, will try run/walk/run when I'm back in AZ.

DH was not impressed w/ the diagnosis. (him) "How could you have RUN all those tough mountain trails, marathons, even a 50k, if you had a serious ACL tear?!?" He agreed w/ my second opinion preferably see someone else in CO or AZ. But he also wants me to consider that I can always CYCLE.  WHAT?!? Not what I want to hear .............I'm really depressed, sad and disappointed right now. This damn weather doesn't help. I'm still processing all this. PT appt on Tuesday.  I'm going on the bike trainer for awhile now. Sorry, I will respond to personals later.

NH Runner

Friday, 12/2... 10 mile mtn bike ride on the railtrail today.  Temp in the mid 40's with a breeze.   I'm not keen on riding in the cold, but am going to keep it up as long as I can.   There's a little swelling around my right Achilles, I'm thinking it's the sheath the Achilles runs in, but that's just a guess.   Heel's doing ok, but I'm fine with cross training at the moment.     Maybe a Nordic walk tomorrow...

Dan... I recall you talking about getting a gate analysis, but nothing about PT.   Did I miss it?   Anyway, check back often, the more the merrier ya know...    And yeah, the tryke's my baby...lol

az... I really hope time spent with the PT gets you headed in a better direction.    Any runner can relate to how you're feeling, but don't get too far down, nothing's cast in stone just yet.   Maybe a second opinion will shed more light, you can have your MRI read by another doc, right?    And keep us posted, there's always a shoulder to lean on in here...

Art in AZ

Another 3 mile run this morning. Same weather conditions. Supposed to warm up a few degrees. Oh well, it's that time of the year.

Rich - Still a good ride despite the rain. Yes I use gloves. I must appear funny to people. Here's this guy running in shorts, long sleeve shirt wearing gloves. My hands get cold and my head also. I have a light beanie I take with in case I don't warm up enough or it's windy. It's usually the first mile or so before I warm up enough that I don't notice the cold so much.

Dan - Every little bit helps. I'll be doing more hikes now that the weather is better for them. Most everyone else don't mind going outside now. I remember family that had long driveways having to someone plow their driveway for them. What an adventure it was if they didn't get there on time.

AZ - I'd be depressed with your weather also. As for the MRI, nothing like hearing about something years after the fact. I agree with getting a  second opinion. It's bad enough when others don't really listen to us when we try to tell them something. And it's even worse when the doctor doesn't appear to be fully engaged in the conversation. There doesn't look like there is a good option either. Well 'good' that enables you to run like you want. Hoping for the best.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Hi all! I've been lurking and you are all doing such great things!!

Sorry to drop a note an leave. I will be back but for the moment, this is a quick note for Ray. If you're running the CIM ... I'll be at the expo tomorrow and at the start on Sunday. Good luck!!! More folks BQ from this race than any other!

Diana, I'll be at the Fourcorners Quad Keyah. Hope you had a wonderful time at all those trail runs this summer!! I drove by Bimidji and yelled to you around Sept. 14th but you were probably traveling in WI or somewhere. It's all good!!

Mary Kay

2013 Race PRs: FM - 6:30; 5k - 36:39; 10k - 1:24:06; HM -2:57:32

Persistence can change failure into extraordinary achievement - Matt Biondi

I am an extraordinary achievement - Me  

justrundan

AZ- That is rough, but I agree with option #4, get a good second opinion.  You may have been able to run with an old tear because your surrounding muscles are in such good shape and very strong.  I expect PT to be helpful for you.  Hang in there.

Rich- I have a problem (I think) with very tight hip flexors & hamstrings, and generally weak core. I want to get a good evaluation and instruction on exercises/stretches.  Then I just have to do the work!

Art- I hear you on the cold hands and head.  I always wear gloves under 40 degrees, it takes me about 2 miles and then the blood starts circulating to the hands.

Mary Kay- You're in California?  You have certainly traveled since you retired!  Nice!

Dan

Art in AZ

5 miles this morning with clear skies and sun. But still cold with a slight wind blowing.

MK - Well hello there. Nice to see you again. Been a long time. I see you are getting around out there.

Dan - Even if I exercise a little to warm up before I go out that first step outside hits you. After the run we went to a farmer's market and even though it was a little warmer out, the wind picked up making it feel colder than when I was running. Wish I had my gloves and hat then.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Saturday, 12/3... grabbed the walking sticks and headed out for a 5 miler on the railtrail this morning.    Temp was 36, with little wind.   Started out walking with short periods of running, but gradually turned it around so I was mostly running the last couple of miles.   I'm still favoring my heel a little, so today's goal was to give my running muscles a little attention, but still take it easy on my heel.    Not a bad workout...

Art... there's a lot of days in the Fall where I do exactly what you described, running shorts and gloves.    I had a guy tell me a while ago, "Every time I see you I say to myself, look at that damn fool!"   Meaning me wearing shorts and gloves...lol   Sticks and stones will break my bones, etc...lol   Lots of photos in New England Runner mag. show runners doing the same thing...

MK... hopefully Ray will see your post and look you up this weekend.   Good to see you post again and good luck running Ray down...

Dan... it took a while to sort through, but my sore hip and knee, plus the swelling in the back of my right heel was all caused by a tight hamstring.   I mistakenly thought I could fix the problem with stretches, but the real problem was leg muscles so knotted that stretching only offered temporary relief.   It'll be interesting what your PT finds when he/she looks at your hamstrings, good luck!

Chantilly75

Art in AZ Some nice runs there.  Yes, it would be chilly for you after this past summer. Gloves are a good idea.

NH Runner Good ways to mix it up this week...keeps the heel guessing..

justrundan Nice to get in walks and hiking while waiting for the PT.

az2mntrail  Sorry to have such news delivered to you in such an uncaring way. Anyone who doesn't run always says they are "amazed" by our accomplishments. I would imagine that an old tear isn't your current problem. What did you have done in Colorado that helped you with those races?  A second opinion is probably needed. Preferably with a sports' doctor.

mKayc Very nice to hear from you.  Hope you post more. Have fun at CIM.

5 miles yesterday, then the track was closed for a Meet.

11 miles today plus one hour of walking.

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Sunday, 12/4... 32 degrees with a brrrrr...eeze today...lol   Took the tryke out for an 8 miler and early on met the old gent who walks his 2 dogs almost daily.   He asked how far the tryke traveled with each row and I didn't have the answer, but I do now.   The tryke's tire is 20 inches in diameter, rounded out it's circumference is 62.8 inches.   Meaning a complete cycle of rowing, pulling the handlebar towards me, then pushing it away, moves the tryke 62.8 inches.   There are 63,360 inches in a mile, divided by 62.8, means I push the handlebar forward and back 1,009 times per mile.   Today's ride was 8 miles, so I cycled through the rowing motion 8,071 times!   One final number, as of today, the tryke's got 585 miles on it, meaning I've cycled it through 590,265 times.   I didn't actually measure the tire, so this number isn't exact, but reasonably close.   You'd think I'd be sore...lol

Chantilly... I like how you take advantage of every opportunity to get your miles in.    You don't run every day, but when you do, you don't mess around.    You also had a short note at the end of last month where you said your friend had run a sub 4, but had never run an Ultra.   Then something about, "I think I can get in shape".   Care to elaborate?

Chantilly75

NH Runner That's a lot of math to figure out your rowing. It sounds like a lot...no wonder your arms are in shape.

The race in San Diego is an ultra, I'm wondering if I could do 12 hrs. I have to increase my walking distance and add in some days with double runs.

6 miles at 6 AM

30 minutes walking.

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Monday, 12/5... just over 4 inches of fresh snow fell over night that I cleaned off the driveway this morning, then headed for the railtrail for a 3 mile walk / jog.   It wasn't much, but different pushing through the snow...

Chantilly... the tryke's helped my arms, but my shoulders and back seem to be the biggest beneficiaries.    It's all good, I've never stayed with any upper body exercise 'til now, it's good to have something I enjoy.   When is the Ultra in San Diego?   12 hours!   Staying hydrated and fueled must take a lot of planning...