50 and over 5k and beyond

May... running in the rain, the park and other things (Read 10 times)

Happy Friday!

All is good here on Oahu  Muggy and HOT but clouds have offered some covering most of the days.  The news is always about the volcano on the big island.  Very interesting and fascinating, certainly glad we aren't on that island.  No, I'm not a 'beach/sand' person at all.  Thank goodness we have a view of the mountains tho'.

Art:  didn't know you ran this HM.  I don't 'see' any 'elevation'  The breathing is what makes it difficult due to the humidity, always a problem when living in MN.  I'll survive. Those short miles are better than none, WTG!

Rich:  WOW!!  look out for Mr. Speedy  Glad you're out there!

Dan:  DH is on the look out for surf waves each morning and evening!  He watches the surf channel most of the time, LOL!!  "No, dear, we are NOT moving here."  I say it with love and a smile, haha!  Good job on the short miles, muggy weather certainly makes a difference.

Picked up my bib from the volunteers who are wearing t-shirts that say "no mean people" ........ any meanness from any runners is not tolerated, it will get you removed from the course.  Guess they had problems with that prior years.  Good policy.  So everyone is all smiles at the small 'expo.'  Back of my bib says "LATE" so I won't get a race shirt until AFTER the race (if there are any left in my size).  Geezzz, paid $86 (with fees) and I don't have anything to show for it, boohoo!  That's ALOT for a HM ...... but I can always say I ran in Hawaii  3 miles yesterday and this morning with some elliptical and cycle and weights in fitness room.  Have to be at race by 4;45 am!!

NH Runner

Friday the 25th and Saturday the 26th I helped a family member move.  U-Haul truck and lots of lifting, so no running.

Sunday, 5/27... 8 mile trail run today.   Temp was low 60's and damp, but the heat's moving back in starting tomorrow.   A good solid run....

Art... the bike rides you describe in the rain are typical of what happens to me, the bike, my back and the back of my head all get dirty.   I suppose we could join a gym and ride a stationary bike, but what fun would there be in that...lol   10 miles a week, that's what I've read you need for mileage to maintain running fitness.   You're doing that and then some...

Dan... the temp was close to 90 and muggy here during Saturday's move.   That kind of weather really saps your strength, you did well to get in a few short runs.   I'd like to continue with interval sessions once a week this summer, hopefully increasing the distance to 800 meters and  running under a 7:30 pace, but we'll see.    I don't know how often you plan to do them once school's out, but my times do come down if I do them consistently.   Biggest concern will be my 'testy' heel.   And yes, we need to be mindful of those who paid the ultimate price to ensure the freedoms we all enjoy...

az... can't wait to hear how your half went.   'Late' eh?   Maybe labeling people as late is why they've had mean people in the past...lol   And yes, 'Mr. Speedy' is running another 5K in June and I ain't taking any prisoners...

justrundan

Rich-  because of my schedule I have to run Th, Fri & Sat and only have time for a long run on Fri or Sat. I’ll probabl try to get in an interval every other week, alternating with a long run.   Or just try harder to get my butt out the door more consistently. 🙄

I did too much yard work yesterday in the heat and still feeling it today!

97 here today and the ran a HM in Madison, an hour south!  Not sure how early it started.

DW and I plan to get out early tomorrow for a bike ride on a new trail near us.  Before it gets too scorching!

Dan

NH Runner

Monday, 5/28... 8 mile mtn bike ride on the trail today.   Lots of speeding ATV'ers, made me wonder how the older gent walking 3 dogs on separate leashes handled that.

Dan... interval sessions every other week should work, but our buddy Ray would know better than I.   I remember him saying he doesn't do speedwork other than to work a faster pace into part of a regular run.    That might be an option for you on your off week, eh?  In my case, my injured heel's wreaked havoc on what little speed I had before I got hurt and I'd love to get some of it back, if I can.   My next 5K's a month away, I'm curious to see if I can improve over the 5K I just ran...

Art in AZ

Got in an easy 3 miles Sunday morning.

Did 6.2 miles this morning combining a couple of routes. Weather was good for running and little traffic because of the holiday.

AZ - The elevation I remember is going up and down Diamond Head. No, not much compared to the mountains. But when you are accustomed to dry temps, that humidity does take some out of you. I do remember sweating a lot that day.

Rich - Thought of going for another bike ride but decided to go for a run instead. Helping others move is always a good cross training day. Seems like it was just a couple of weeks ago that the weather there was cooler.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

5/29... 5 mile road run today, the usual route that includes a run through the local covered bridge.   Pushed the pace a little in miles 3 & 4, eased up in mile 5...

5/30... looks like no workout today, I'm right in the middle of stripping wallpaper, repainting the walls and ceiling and having new carpet installed in my living room.   Some of the sheetrock joints need to be re-taped and smoothed over before I can go any further... 

Art... our high temps never get much above 90 degrees, but there's usually humidity to go with it.   And yeah, we went right from cool temps to 80's and 90's almost overnight, not our usual transition from Spring to Summer.    If I don't get carried away, riding the bike is a great way to help running muscles recover, so I usually just ride at an easy pace

NH Runner

Thursday, 5/31... another set of intervals today, 8 X 200's with a 1 mile warm up, cool down and 4 X 20 second strides before getting under way... A :56 is 7:28 pace, a 1:00 is 8:00...  :56, 1:00, :56, :59, :56, 59, :56 and 1:00.   Notice the difference in time running in one direction versus the other.   I knew I was going slower in one direction and tried to fix it, but never did...lol