50 and over 5k and beyond

June 2015 Runs and Workouts (Read 14 times)

justrundan

Ray-as usual, great race! Loved the race report. I hear you on the stairs!

Well that's a first, the post last night was about 4x this long?  I've lost entire posts before but never just a portion. 

Art- you're staying steady, nice work.

adkkev- our area had a 2" downpour Thursday night, it skirted our house so we only got about 1/2"

AZ- tough balancing act with Grandma's and the trail marathon relatively close together.  Stay healthy.  I you and DH can make it here in 2016, we'll definitely do DWD.

Chantilly- good run when you were already tired.

Didn't get to the trail this weekend, too much going on with family here.  Yesterday got in 5 mi with several good sized hills, then some hill sprints near the end.

DD, DS and their spouses here for weekend.  Big celebration weekend, celebrating Father's day and 4 birthdays.  DD, DW and DS have birthdays on 6/28/29/30 respectively, and DDIL in July.   had a campfire last night for s'mores and hot dogs.  Tonight I grilled baby back ribs for the six of us, with corn on the cob and 2 kinds of salad.  Dessert is yet to come!

Enjoy the rest of your weekends!

Dan

Art in AZ

Chantilly - You picked a good time to visit during those seasons.

AZ - I thought you meant a full but wanted to make sure. Where in Washington? I've been to the Seattle area several times and enjoyed those trips. Salmon and wild rice. One of my favorite meals.

adkkev - Hope those 2" of rain aren't all at once.

Dan - Big celebration weekend indeed. Ribs, yummmm.

Did a 26 mile bike ride this morning. Wanted to do a couple of hours of exercise and figured the bike was the way to go. A 2 hour run wouldn't have been very pretty. Sunny, very warm, slightly humid. But there was a breeze. Not that it mattered much unless I was stopped at a light.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

adkkev

3.85 miles on the elliptical followed by 4.65 miles on the spinning cycle late this afternoon @ the gym ... all hill programs.

Lots of rain all night long, tapered off slowly through the day.  Not sure how much we actually got but it was substantial.  So we spent much of the day scraping old wallpaper border off the walls of one of our bedrooms ... tedious work standing on a ladder.  But we got it done ... Jackie spackled the cracks/holes so once that dries the room will be ready to paint.  She just needs to decide what color she'd like.

The prison escapee was caught this afternoon ... the news is reporting that he'll be medivaced to Albany Medical Center after he's stabilized.  AMC is just down the street from my office building ... we see & hear the helicopters a lot during the day.  Should be interesting to see how much state police present is visible in the area tomorrow morning.

Chantilly75

az2mntrail Why are you tapering in the hot gym?  Is it for the hill workouts?

adkkev Did you need the rain?  Sounds like it may be interesting around the office tomorrow.

justrundan Campfires and ribs…."summertime and the living is easy"  

Art in AZ Nice distance on the bike. The Bisbee stairs look too hard for me, but the town and the craft beer is appealing.

9 miles after breakfast, sunny 70F

2 miles after lunch, 87F

2 miles after supper, 87F

I was hot during the afternoon run, had to take a break in the house after the first mile. A small breeze made the supper run feel a touch cooler and I didn't take a break that time. Ran slow today, up to 11 minute miles.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

az2mntrail Why are you tapering in the hot gym?  Is it for the hill workouts?

adkkev Did you need the rain?  Sounds like it may be interesting around the office tomorrow.

justrundan Campfires and ribs…."summertime and the living is easy"  

Art in AZ Nice distance on the bike. The Bisbee stairs look too hard for me, but the town and the craft beer is appealing.

9 miles after breakfast, sunny 70F

2 miles after lunch, 87F

2 miles after supper, 87F

I was hot during the afternoon run, had to take a break in the house after the first mile. A small breeze made the supper run feel a touch cooler and I didn't take a break that time. Ran slow today, up to 11 minute miles.

Chantilly:  I'm in the 'warm/hot' gym b/c it's paid for, LOL!  More importantly, I can use the elliptical, cycle and other indoor gym exercise equipment that I don't have at home.  The weight room has A/C which is separate from the TMs.  By the time I decide to workout, it's usually late afternoon and it's actually much hotter outside then inside, and too many flying insects with the higher humidity.  I'm focusing on toning and strengthening leg muscles especially with some weights.  They have kettle balls too which are great.  And, yes, I like the hill workout on the TM and it makes me run faster intervals which I really don't like to do.  For now, running on TM is shorter miles but I will be running outside for endurance every other run now.  I can totally relate to the hot temps and how it can really affect our runs. A slight breeze makes a world of difference!  Good job on your determination to run 3x in one day.  Stay cool and safe.

Chantilly75

az2mntrail Yes, the gym has a lot of variety.  You would need that for trails.

My track is so stuffy in the summer, I don't usually go there unless it is raining.

12 miles at 6 AM. Stopped in the house for a drink after the first hour. Felt ok.

Pulled weeds and watered the flowers.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

adkkev

3.85 miles walking on the treadmill, progressive inclines on a hill program followed by 4.5 miles on the spin cycle at the gym.  Glad I decided not to cancel the gym membership ... it's been a very nice fall back with all of the goofy weather we've been having.

It poured like crazy for a whole 20 minutes..........and then the sun came out!! Talk about "goofy" (adkkev) weather.  Work took most of my day so didn't get to run till around 3pm.  About 78 degrees! 12mph breeze, 51% humidity, partly sunny.  Drove to paved State bike trail, ran 2.1 miles of that.  Then 4 miles on XC ski trails with a couple of short decent 'hills', ran up them 4 times.........finished with run back of 2.0 miles.  8.1 miles total today, feeling good, leg muscles are doing well.  Ran with camelbak hydration pack, gonna take a little bit of getting use to.  Wondering if I should just wear my Nathan waist hydration belt which I am use to & find more comfortable, but it has only 2 bottles which I can fill with water only, have pocket for gels, etc.  Need a good strategy of hydrating for my upcoming trail marathon, and making sure I can make it to the aid stations.  May need to add a larger hand-held water bottle (filled with hammer heed).  Altitude will be about 3500 ft.  Not bad, so not too concerned about that. I'm really excited about this trail run!!

Chantilly:  these warm temps are taking abit of getting use to, even at 6 in the morning.  Good job on the mileage today!

adkkev:  same here with retaining the gym membership.  I know I will need to work on speed which I prefer on the TM.  It's much more do-able when indoors.  Are you training for any upcoming races?  So relieved the drama of prison escapees has ended.  How long is the renovation gonna take?

Chantilly:  You asked what color is our '55 T-bird (the first year, by the way).  I will try to post a picture of it asap.  It's pretty and really attracts women b/c of the paint color from my observation.  DH is a total gearhead and loves classic cars.

rmcj001

Friday, 6/26, Turned into a rest day.  Just couldn't find the motivation to get out and run.

Saturday, 6/27, 6.2 (10K) in 46:12 - too hot for a race. DW, DS1 and DS1's SO did 1/2 marathon - 2 1st in AG and 2 2nds - everyone placed! Not a too bad and we got to meet SO's parents.

Sunday, 6/28, 16 mile long run in 2:23:55 - again too hot.

Monday, 6/29, 10.2 miles in 1:32:22 - only 85F...

Tuesday, 6/30, 10 miles in 1:34 in 90F+ - totally zapped, but got 200 miles in for June...

Dan - That is totally bazaar!  I believe I say it right after you posted and I remember there being more there and it making me smile.  Not that I can remember anything now, just that there was more...odd.

Art - Things are drying out quickly here now that warm air is here, just a few fires this past week.  Hopefully, you can find some warm weather plants for your garden.

adkkev - Your weather and the escapee situation just sound odd.  Grew up next to a prison and BF's Dad was superintendent, just a few stories from back then...

Chantilly - Leg has been good last month or so.  You've been miss consistency with the number of runs you're getting in.  Like the multiple sessions.

Az - Already got another marathon line up?  wholly crap, that's just too close together for me.  I know you'll have fun!  Can't wait to see your t-bird!

Ray

adkkev

Nice running Ray!!  

5 miles on the elliptical (hill program) at the gym followed by .75 miles walking on the treadmill at a slight incline.  More wonky weather.

Art in AZ

5 miles this morning. Felt OK running but at the same time felt the humidity a little more this morning.

adkkev - After putting wallpaper up once and then taking it down a few years later, I will never put wallpaper on any of my walls. I know how you felt. Hopefully the weather improves there soon.

Chantilly - Wow! 25 miles over 2 days. Let me check my log. Yep, that's been about my average per week during the past 6 weeks. I feel I'm slacking off. But I see you are taking the breaks due to the heat. I can so sympathize with that.

AZ - Tough decision of the hydration. Too bad somebody doesn't make a water bottle you could clip onto your belt. I looked once before for something to add to my Nathen belt. A handheld would work to a degree but would bounce too much. I have used a bigger round bottle in my holders, but that was for hiking.

Ray - Congrats to everyone for placing. This warm weather really takes some of the fun out of running.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Ray:  it's on my bucket list and it's a TRAIL run so I will have FUN, FUN, FUN!! It's a women only event too.  No problem taking walk breaks if I need to. I don't feel any pressure.  I know I can finish.  Grandma's was a good 'training' run in taking walk breaks, and running a 'long' run a month before another just fit quite nicely with my schedule.  CONGRATS to the whole family on their placement!! WOW! How exciting!!  You do know that running in hot temps (and high humidity in my case) does affect how effectively body cools itself, it takes time and can really zap alot out of you for sure.  I run with effort when I run outside now with these high temps/humidity combo.  Also need to try to mimic expected weather conditions (it can be in the 70s/80s in WA).  Be safe and stay hydrated.

Chantilly:  smart on listening to your body.  Great mileage lately, impressive!!

adkkev:  do you need the moisture there?  It's been good here, with sprinkles one day and a downpour the next but the sun peeks through and humidity rises as fast as the temps, and the flying insects take over.  I'm a mosquitoe bait!!

Dan:  how are you doing on your taper?  Body needs a rest now and then for muscles to recover, but you'll be ready on race day.

Art:  oh my!! you've had some lightening shows in the 'valley'!!  I remember those sudden monsoons and incredible thunder/lightening, and awful flooding in some areas of the city.  Trying to decide if I should purchase a new hydration back pac (have 'old worn out but still works' one)........leaning towards Nathan Intensity.  I prefer not only a chest strap but a waist strap for less bounce (from hiking/running experience in Grand Canyon).  Stay safe!

Drove to gym to get some intervals on the TM.  Started with 10 mins elliptical, ran 6.2 miles on hills program with only 1 min walk break at 3 miles, then 20 mins on elliptical, 10 mins on cycle and 15 mins of weights.  DH went swimming.  We had salmon and roast cabbage with awesome chives-mustard vinaigrette (recipe I found and it's one of our favs).  YUMMY!!

AZ - I thought you meant a full but wanted to make sure. Where in Washington? I've been to the Seattle area several times and enjoyed those trips. Salmon and wild rice. One of my favorite meals.

Did a 26 mile bike ride this morning. Wanted to do a couple of hours of exercise and figured the bike was the way to go. A 2 hour run wouldn't have been very pretty. Sunny, very warm, slightly humid. But there was a breeze. Not that it mattered much unless I was stopped at a light.

Art:  forgot to answer your Question.  www.wildwomanmarathon.com is in Trout Lake, WA which is about 1/2 hr. north of Hood River, OR.  We've been to Seattle a few times as well.  Have niece whose DH is in the Navy and stationed there.  Also a best friend and her DH who manages a "unique cabin resort on the Strait of Juan de Fuca on the Washington's Olympic Peninsula" ..... www.chitobeach.com ....... where you can see Canada about 15 miles away.  I spent a week there a couple of years ago, went running/hiking, sightseeing in Forks.  DH and I spent about 10 days visiting, exploring and riding our harleys up and down scenic byways including Olympic N P last September.

What towns, if any, did you run through in your 26 mile bike ride?  Or did you stay along the canal?  Any breeze really feels 'cool' despite the high temps.  

Hope everyone is/had a great holiday weekend!

DH and I had no plans so just stayed around and checked out the local happenings. Temps are hitting the upper 70s with some slight breeze but humidity hangs around 50-60%.  The fires in Saskatchewan are still going and getting worse, many people have been evacuated.  Believed to have been started by lightening, and high temps/winds have accelerated the conditions.  We've had thick smoke in the air for most of the week across the midwest.  Rested Thurs but gym was closed on Fri. so couldn't run indoors.  Despite the smokey climate, I had to get in a long run yesterday, Saturday.  Went to paved bike trail.  Lots of cyclists for the holiday weekend, many camping in the State Park.  Tough run especially between 10-13 miles; slower pace to compensate for the hot conditions but finished 15 miles.  Drenched but occasional breeze was a real life-saver.  Ran with hydration pack again.  Just has a chest strap, no waist strap which I think would help the shoulder strap from 'slipping' to one side and causing friction against my neck.

Thunderstorm came through early morning but not sure if it had any effect on the forest fire in Saskatchewan which is further north and west of MN.

Chantilly:  how are you doing?  You're west of me so I'm assuming your area is getting alot of the effects.

Dan:  What about your area?  The weather stations are saying the smoke has been seen/felt as far as TN.