50 and over 5k and beyond

February 2018 (Read 11 times)

NH Runner

Thursday, 2/1... 5 mile trail run yesterday and today.   A small amount of snow this morning was enough to keep the Yaktrax's short carbide studs from digging into the ice under the snow and made for an interesting run, but no harm done.

Art... doing 50 push-ups non-stop isn't something I'd be able to do, instead I do 'em in sets.   In other words, do 10, then stop for a minute before doing another 10, or what I was doing, which was to hang off a door for 15 seconds before getting back to the push-ups.   It's surprising how easy it is to get to 50 when you break it up like that.  However, I got SORE the next day and couldn't do any 'til today.   And backed off to doing 6 sets of 5 push-ups to a set for 30 total.   And reduced the hangs to 6 X 10 seconds.  That was a while ago, now we'll see what tomorrow brings...

Art in AZ

Did another easy run but did 4 miles this morning while it was still cool out. So far so good,

Rich - I thought that might be the case but wasn't sure. After a run when I do my exercises it's usually one set one day and then two sets the next day. Usually do squats, some stretches, leg exercises and then push ups. Just enough to stretch out the body.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

justrundan

5 miles with fartleks last half of that.   TM of course,  minus 3 this morning. Tomorrow starts the HM plan for the May5 race in Door County.

Art, Rich- you are inspiring me to do more than just run, which is what I tend to do. Really need to work on core strength & flexibility. Don’t we all?  Tends to go away by our 50-60’s when we’ve sat for so much of our working life.

Dan

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Hello everyone! I took a rest day Monday and then did 4 miles Tuesday, 19 degrees with some wind and some snowflakes. Just did not feel it Wednesday and had to visit the dentist anyway for a crown that came off. Thursday, my day off and it was a sunny 47 degrees! Wore shorts and a long sleeve tee and did close to 9 miles, furthest run since a late November 12 mile. I tired and slowed down towards the end. It was very windy with increasing clouds and I was chilly, but not cold, warm when the sun was shining. After my run was finished temperatures dropped rapidly to the upper 30's and continued to fall with light snow last night and high temperatures today in the lower teens. I may get out and do a short run today. It is cold, but sunny out. This winter I think I will not often do the long runs in the real cold weather, I will have time to catch up as it warms up in March.

az - I'm not clear on how many miles you are running other than doing like a 16 to 20 mile long run followed by a 6 to 10 mile run the next day. I have to assume that you do at least 3 runs a week and you did mention doing some 5 and 6 mile trail runs near your home. If temperatures get into the 40s and it is sunny and not windy I often will chose to wear shorts and a tee shirt, a long sleeve one if it seems cool out. I like to feel cool on my runs and feel overdressed if I wear heavy clothes. I usually don't like to have solid food in my stomach and if I do eat will wait an hour or so before starting my run. I have heard that digestion stops when you are doing heavy exercise .

Rich - I admire you doing all that upper body strength training. I used to do push ups, but never could do many of them, pull ups - got up to doing 19 at one time but I could not do even one the last time I tried, may have to work on that, and some weight lifting. It is just that my focus is more on running right now. Still, I have snow shoveling, garden-yard work and I have to lift people in my disability aid job, all of which keeps me reasonably strong. Interesting fact: the word "arctic" comes from words meaning "under the bear" referring to the northern constellation the great bear. Also the name "Arthur" may mean "bearman" according to some interpretations. Some good walk/jogs and I'm sure you will get back to running soon.

Ray - Yet another race! Your description of the China Camp 10k was confusing in itself, I can see how you could have gotten off course! Guess you should have studied the race map! On the races I have run there are usually someone by each turn to direct you to stay on course. Well, as long as you were running for fun and training and it was a gorgeous day I guess it was worth it. I know that every year is different, but I have to get some idea of where my training levels are by looking at past records. My training plans are different this year, I know I need to work on speed. Interesting that you had read about the Brooklyn Marathon and that the top 20 finishers got a plaque. I don't know if my grandfather is in that picture I posted, perhaps back in the pack. I looked for his number, "82", but can only read the numbers of the front runners, none of whom seemed to be listed in the 29 who actually finished the race! There is available on eBay a high resolution copy of that photo, but I am not sure yet if I want to spend the money. There was also another photo of the start, but the print or negative seems to have some damage, and there are photos of the 1st and 2nd place finishers. I found mentions of the race in some of my books: "The American Marathon" and "Indian Running".

Art - So you get up early and back off in speed so as not to overheat? Wish I had that problem, it is hard to motivate myself to run in the cold.

Dan - minus 3 is very cold for a run, good you have the treadmill! Hope your training goes well for the May HM. I'm still considering a late May FM but don't know if if I want the trouble of getting off work on a holiday weekend and having to travel over an hour to get there, not to mention concerns that I may not be ready!

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
          Get up, get out, get out of the door!

Art in AZ

No running this morning since I had an early appointment. Got a little exercise in though. Saturday go back for the research study so they can evaluate this patch and then put on a new one for the next week. Then a couple of the grand daughters are coming over so that pretty much takes care of Sunday. Planning to get out Sunday morning.

Dan - Thank goodness for that treadmill, right? I really worked on upping the exercise and core work in 2016. I guessing it paid off as I kept getting faster as the year went on. So with the reduced running for a couple of months I'm trying to do more exercises to help work the core again and make up for the loss of some miles.

Altair - Gotta love the weather when it cooperates. The backing off in speed is so I'm able to do some running while on this medical study. The participants are not to do any 'strenuous' exercise and sweat too much. They are evaluating the patch adhesion so I'm trying not to get to strenuous or sweaty. I can't imagine what they would do during the summer here.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Friday, 2/2... I had to bundle up going into today's run, 14 degrees and windy.   3 inches of fresh snow overnight, so I grabbed the snowshoes and headed for the trail.   The dog sledders were just getting ready to head out when I got there, so after putting on snowshoes, I waited off to the side until the sleds were off.   The dogs were harnessed to the sled and the sled tied off to a tree.   Once the dogs sensed it was time to go, what a racket they made!   And pulling like crazy trying to get underway.  Once the rope was released, I'm guessing they were up to speed within 50 feet, it was unbelievable how fast they were away.   I headed out right behind them, running with walk breaks.   3 miles total and just as I was finishing up, the dogsleds came in behind me, probably after going 6 miles.  What a treat to have them for companions on the trail.   Later in the day, I managed 7 X 10 second hangs, a few push-ups and sit ups.

Art... you've got a nice routine for cross training, I think it's one of the reasons you race so well.    Hangs are what I'm focused on the most, I couldn't hang at all when I first started, just as soon as my full weight hit my shoulders, I'd have to quit...lol   I think it's the shoulder blade that loses its range of motion, but that may not be right.   Anyway, you're doing good staying active, but not TOO active, good for you.

Dan... nice treadmill run!  Minus 3 is a little much to be running outside, eh?   When you think about a race in May, you realize it's not that far away, good luck with training.   I built the tryke for exactly what you're talking about, upper body workouts.  This time of year it's really not practical with the weather we deal with, so I'm following Art's example by doing a 'little' cross training.   If you haven't done pull-ups in decades, what an eye opener it is just lowering your weight onto your shoulders, the pain involved was a shock! lol   Anyway, good luck getting into a routine of doing upper body exercises, keeping ourselves physically strong is a good thing.

Altair5... seems to me I read something about cold air constricting blood vessels.   It's my excuse for running so slow in the cold, but running in shorts and a T in 40 degree weather might actually be slowing you down, constricted blood vessels make your heart work harder.   I guess the next question would be is it a good way to train or not.   At any rate, you had a good week of training, nice!   Interesting, 'arctic' comes from 'under the bear', it'd make more sense if it came from 'under the blanket' with the cold we deal with...lol

NH Runner

Saturday, 2/3... 4 mile snowshoe trail run / walk breaks.

Art in AZ

Did 5 miles this morning. This might be the limit for running in the winter long sleeve shirt. Definitely a little more sweaty doing that last mile. I could probably wear a thinner long sleeve shirt but I would feel too cold and wouldn't enjoy the run. Maybe I could do 6 miles if I did a run/walk/run combo. Weather has been steady upper 40s in the morning might try that.

Rich - What a treat to see the dog sleds again. So you got in a couple of snowshoe runs. A little more resistance when lifting the legs is good. I don't think runners get in enough cross-training. When talking with other runners, it seems it's divided between those that do and those that don't. Like you know, it's a great way to get a balanced workout.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Happy Monday Gotta stay positive each day ....

We returned from CA last night.  We drove/stayed/visited a dear couple friend in Corona Thursday.  Then Friday, we drove up to/checked into Westin hotel in Pasadena.  Met with groom (DH's best friend since 2002) who just flew in, for about an hour before he had to meet bride/wedding party for rehearsal.  He wanted to wing it though, HAHA!!  So I got in about 6 miles on hotel TM, NICE!! and some stretching and weights.

Then we met up with groom again with others for social hour at the hotel. Made sure I got some sleep.  A running friend lives in Pasadena and she picked me up Saturday morning.  Drove to a trailhead. Had to park a couple of blocks away, already LOTS of cars/hikers!  We started on a trail that didn't look 'popular' for about 1/2 mile and found it non-runnable so decided to return back to trailhead and get on trail with all the others.  Lots of hikers and mountain bikers.  We agreed to meet at the top.  I took off and ran all the way to the top, whew!!   NON-technical for the most part, lots of switchback with gradual incline to the summit.  Took some photos at the top and waited for RB.  We started back down, I ran and waited for her at the bottom.  There were a few runners so we high-fived each other!  At least 80 degrees by then! I'm sure the view is much nicer but the pollution/smog was pretty thick.  So finished about 6 miles again.

We stopped for breakfast, chatted/visited about running and places to run still .........she prefers trail running but does road races now and then. She dropped me off back at hotel.

Groom texted that he had some time for brunch so after quick shower, we all met again in the hotel restaurant with others from night before, sitting outside was nice, sunny and warm.  Then it was time to get ready for the wedding.  It was fabulous.  Traffic was awful from hotel to church and back.  Reception was at the hotel.  Live band was amazing.  We danced the night away.  Those ballroom dancing lessons do come in handy.  We stayed up till around 1 am!!

Saturday, 2/3... 4 mile snowshoe trail run / walk breaks.

Rich:  sounds nice!  Sounds like the injury is healing.  I just wore/still wear only my trail shoes when I run in the snow but if I find more icy areas than slush/snow, I will back off and see if I can find another trail that is more runnable.  Those temps!!  I don't miss MN at all during winter.  Stay warm and safe out there!

Did 5 miles this morning. This might be the limit for running in the winter long sleeve shirt. Definitely a little more sweaty doing that last mile. I could probably wear a thinner long sleeve shirt but I would feel too cold and wouldn't enjoy the run. Maybe I could do 6 miles if I did a run/walk/run combo. Weather has been steady upper 40s in the morning might try that.

Art:  good job on your miles.  I wear long sleeve shirts and a lite windbreaker on my runs, sometimes ending up taking off my windbreaker.  The cold sweat is not comfortable but the sun feels good and dries my sweaty shirt ......but I agree, if you're not comfortable running in certain temps, the enjoyment fades quickly.  Doesn't take much for cold chills to turn into shivers.  It's the wind that makes or breaks a run for me.  I'm vulnerable to ear-aches so I almost always wear a cap (from the sun and keeps head warm) with a separate buff that covers my ears.  There are runners up here, running in the snow and cold with short sleeves and running shorts!! 

rmcj001

Art - Sounds like you will be doing early morning runs for awhile, or at least, 'til it warms up.

Dan - Those temps just sound absurd here.

Altair - Yes, I guess I should have.  Course seemed relatively simple compared to the 1/2 course and didn't think it would be necessary to look too hard at it.  Trail races are always a gamble - DW and I joke about it whenever RD says the course is well marked - might be true if you already know the course...Hope you can be consistent with your running and your weather doesn't get too much in the way.

Rich - I'm not sure how long I could hang there, but I know I wouldn't feel like I was doing anything unless I was at least attempting a pull up. I know there is a fair amount of genetics involved and a certain power to weight ratio and I guess I got a bit lucky in picking my parents  My Mom didn't like it when people called my siblings and me "skinny", she would always say we were "wiry". I think it is pretty cool all the cross training you do!

AZ - DW was down in SoCal this past week too. She said it was really warm all week.  I guess the high pressure system moved a bit north, cuz Northern California got very warm starting Friday and Saturday driving around the bay DS2 and I saw temps of 83F in Hayward and high 70's everywhere else.

Been a little more consistent with my running last two weeks with only 1 day off in that span. Just shy of 90 miles for the last 2 weeks and my first 50 mile week in 3 months. Last week was very consistent with runs of at least 6.9 miles every day. Couple of weeks to Montara Mtn half marathon. Probably will keep the mid-distance runs and just try to get out there every day...

Ray

NH Runner

Sunday, 2/4... took the day off, inclement weather

Monday, 2/5...yesterday's inclement weather left a couple inches of wet heavy snow on the trail, so another snowshoe run today, 4 miles with walk breaks.   Finished up with push-ups and hangs.   I've seen most critters native to N.H. on the trail, including a young bull moose, black bear with a cub, deer, coyote, bobcat, turkeys, etc., but had only seen tracks in the snow of a river otter 'til today.   Saw it on the riverbank ahead of me and at first wasn't sure if it was a Fisher  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fisher_(animal) or Otter.  Still wasn't sure after I lost sight of it 'til a little further along the trail I could see tracks where it had slid on its belly in the snow, yep, River Otter! lol   If you're unfamiliar with a fisher cat, they've been know to grab a house cat right off the owner's lawn.   Similar to a weasel, just must larger.

Tuesday, 2/6... back on the trail today for a 5 mile run.  Yaktrax and running shoes today.

Art... good luck getting a routine down that'll let you work out without sweating.   I must have too many sweat glands, I start sweating just thinking about a run...lol   I wear boots when running in snow shoes, between that, the weight of the show shoes and the drag they provide in the snow, I better be ready to run by spring, eh? lol

az... busy week with the travel and wedding, with all the miles, if you were a car, you'd be considered high mileage. lol  But still in good shape, eh? lol  Yeah, I seem to have bounced back from the muscle tear, I thought it'd heal pretty fast.   This time of year, I'm adapting almost daily to conditions outside.  No a bad thing, it just takes a little getting used to.   We're forecast tomorrow for another 8 to 12 inches of snow, here we go again...lol

Ray... my buddy in Miami was a competitive weight lifter back in the day, but was having considerable trouble with his shoulders 'til he started doing 'hangs.'   He was curious how the shoulders of a non lifter like myself would do if they were subjected to hangs and the answer was, 'not so hot'.   He could barely put any weight on his shoulders when he started, but is hanging now for a minute at a time.   It's not a strength test, hangs are meant to treat a condition called shoulder impingement, basically loosening a shoulder and giving it more range of motion.  Your next half marathon is coming fast, good luck with training and on race day!

Art in AZ

No run today as I slept in some and then had to take care of a few things with clients. Did get another section of fence done and did some exercises so not a total loss. Will try again Thursday morning.

AZ - Busy week but you managed to get some miles in. I didn't think of using my windbreaker over just the long sleeve shirt. Might try that Thursday and see how it works. I see the kids around here run dressed like that. I shiver when I see them.

Ray - Wow. You really racked up the miles. Did you pass the pace bunny yet.

Rich - You never know what you might see on your runs. One of the benefits of where you live.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

rmcj001

Rich - Weather doesn't sound good, glad you were able to get a snowshoe run in. Left shoulder dislocated in high school PE class, speedball(?) and right shoulder dislocated in college playing ultimate Frisbee. IIRC, when I asked about right shoulder Dr said you've got "adhesions"  - keep using it, it will work itself out. 40 years later, it's better but I still can't through worth crap compared to pre-injury.

Art - just read an article talking about the importance of sleep for runners - good that you're ahead of the curve  No, not even close to the pace bunny (55 - 60 miles behind). Need to average about 5.75 miles a day to keep up, more to catch up.  Fortunately that's only about 6 extra miles a month, so -- lottsssaaaa time...

6.5 TM miles on Monday, 6.2 on Tuesday.  Hopefully another 6+ tonight...

Ok, got 6.8 in on TM last night.  Forgot to mention we've been mid to high 70's all week and still no rain in sight.  HP system is expected to leave, but next cold front is weak and no precipitation expected...

Ray