50 and over 5k and beyond

February 2015 Runs and Workouts (Read 22 times)

Chantilly75

Double post.  Don't know how that happened.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Fletch

AZ - Glad you didn't get hurt too bad in your fall. Given the choice between a slip/fall on the ice...or a gym full of screaming kids and crying babies - I'll take my chance with the slip on the ice! 

Chantilly - nice runs. Several of the runners in our group here have talked about sports massage. They swear by it. I'm thinking I may give it a try if I have another flare-up with my hamstring or achilles.

NH Rich - nice cross training. It'll pay dividends when you are able to get back to running.

Ray - sorry about the leg issues. I know it is really hard to take yourself "out of the game," but it sounds like you may need to do that for a short while.

WDW Rich - nice sprint run with the dog. Can he/she do long distances?

Tuesday was supposed to be a weight training day for me. However, I had a big test looming this morning, so I never made it to the fitness studio. However, I did get far enough along on the studying to meet the Freaky Fast gang this morning for the Wednesday Speed Run. 21 total runners this morning, 29 degrees, under a beautiful full moon!  5.3 miles.

Run safe!

NH Runner

Wednesday, 2/4... here's a couple of pictures of the railtrail I took today.    The groomer's gone through and a few snow machines, so conditions were pretty nice.   The first picture is of a trestle that's just before the 2.5 mile mark where I turned around.    The second is at the half mile mark, I had just climbed the incline, turned around and took this picture so you could see what skate skiing leaves for marks in the snow.    It's weird to think of skiing up hill, but it's part of XC skiing.   5 miles total...

Art in AZ

Quick post while taking break from work.

5 miles Monday.

Exercise/rest on Tuesday.

5 miles this morning.

AZ - hope your feeling better.

Ray - you too!

Fletch - Good morning runs to help power you through the day.

NH Runner - Nice pics. I can see that would be a good place to run in during "regular" weather.

Chantilly - Nice avatar. I can tell that picture was from a different time. The shorts and grass gave it away.

WDWRich - nice runs.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

Sorry, got called away this morning and didn't finish my post.

Fletch_NC Good luck on your test. There must be quite a few runners in that group if there is usually 20+ runners out there in the early morning.

NH Runner Your photos turned out well.  I can see the ski marks in the snow!

Art in AZ Your HM will be soon.  Is it warmer, now?

9 miles.

Tomorrow is a rest day.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Fletch

Nice pics, Rich. That railtrail looks like a beautiful place to run and ski!

Art - steady, consistent training.  Good job!

Enjoy your rest day, Chantilly. You deserve it with the miles you put in.

No run for me today.  Scheduled cross training day. Joined in a great HIIT session this morning, focused on core work and cardio.  I'll be feeling it tomorrow!

Run safe!

NH Runner

Friday, 2/6... we hit -15 degrees last night, but it warmed into the teens this morning so I ended up running 5 miles on the railtrail.    I'd checked the trail before-hand and knew the footing was a little soft, but I really wanted to run outside, so just went with it.   I didn't push the pace, just got in the miles and called it close enough.    And yes, I'm fortunate to have the railtrail so close, it's great for getting out of the wind when it's cold and the sun when it's hot.

Art... training's still going well, do you have a goal for the half marathon that's coming up.

Fletch... High Intensity Interval Training (I had to look it up)  sounds like a great workout.   Sometime when you have the time, would you go into a little more detail?    I have an anaerobic workout I do that's 30 seconds of sprinting followed by a 30 second break.   I start with a dozen repeats and work my way up to 20 before moving to 60 second sprints with 60 second breaks.

Chantilly... I was hoping the ski tracks would show up in the snow.   Pushing off with the skis and driving with the poles at the same time is a great full body workout.    Enjoy the day off!

Happy Friday everyone!

Thurs (yesterday):  Wanted to get a XC training in so drove to gym. Temp was around 18 degrees, 10mph wind, feels 8 so ran 4.2 miles outside along the lake trail first. Then back inside gym: 15 mins elliptical, ran 2 interval miles on TM, followed 15 mins cycling, 1 mile cooldown run on mini track, then 10 mins on elliptical, finished with 15 mins post stretching. WHEW!  So 7.2 miles total, YAY!!  Just when I was finishing my cooldown run, a classroom of kids around 5-6 yrs old were let loose on the track!! LOL!! I don't know how often they come to the gym but I've seen them a couple of times just when I'm leaving (thank goodness, haha).  Bunch of cuties though, holding hands when they leave.   After DH got home, we went ballroom dancing!

Fri (today):  10 am: 12 degrees, 6mph wind, feels 11, cloudy and dreary but bundled up and got in a short recovery run of 3 miles.

NH: LOVE the photos! Looks like an ideal place for skate skiing, can see the prints, and gorgeous area for a winter run!  Great job on the 5 miler today!  Your getting some great results from your workout session, it shows on your pace times.

Fletch:  impressive that you are continuing your HIIT sessions, I get lazy on the core exercises now and then but it is important to incorporate them into our training days.

Chantilly:  love your avatar!  Great job on staying consistent with your training.

Art:  you have been doing awesome for your upcoming HM!  I know you will do great!  Temps are pretty warm there.  I can't wait for my getaway to Flag next month and run my mountain trails!

Art in AZ

8 miles this morning in clear sunny skies. Temps were in the low 50s. So getting warmer.

Chantilly - Half is next Sunday. It is warmer right now. Highs in the lower to mid 80s. Above average for this time of year. Plus it's close to record temps for this time also. During the so called "Spring" here the temps can vary by 35 degrees from morning low to afternoon high.

Fletch - the cross training definitely helps. Though that HIIT training really takes it toll on you sometimes.

NH Runner - The goal is to finish. I'm planning to be under 2 hours. How much I don't know. My best half recently was 1:50:23 two years ago around the same time. We'll know in about a week.

AZ - I'm ready to go. Deciding what kind of taper to do for next week. Initial long range forecast looks good so far. As long as it isn't raining I should be fine.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

justrundan

AZ- OUCH!     That ice sneaks up on you- I know!

How long will you be in SW when you go back?  I know you're looking forward to that time!

NHRich- great pics, super place to run or ski.

Art- You've done a nice job preparing for your half- good luck, looking forward to RR.

Chantilly- nice miles; you never have short runs, great job!

Me, shorter runs early in week, finally had time to do 7.4 this morning on TM, hopefully warm weather holds and I can get to the rail trail tomorrow.

Have a great weekend everyone!

Dan

NH Runner

Saturday, 2/7... got out early this morning for 6 miles of skate skiing before the snowmobilers hit the railtrail.    Nice!

az... nice run and cross training session!   Glad you liked the photos.  The railtrail follows a local river to the next town 10 miles away.   I've run it as an out and back a number of times while training for a marathon.

Art... can't wait to hear how your half goes...

Dan... 7.4 miles is a serious distance to run in the treadmill, good for you!

Here's a copy and paste of what NOAA's predicting for NH weather over the next few days...

Tonight Snow. Low around 12. Calm wind. Chance of precipitation is 90%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches possible.

• Sunday Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 16. East wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
                        • Sunday Night Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 8. Wind chill values as low as -1. East wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.
                        • Monday Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 17. Wind chill values as low as -1. East wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.
                        • Monday Night Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 10. Northeast wind around 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.

justrundan

NH- sounds like NOAA's favorite phrase is "could be heavy at times"!  Let us know the final total.

Odd weather here this winter.  We've had freezing drizzle, freezing rain, freezing fog as often as actual snow.  I'd prefer the snow, esp since we live on a hill. 

Great weather for outside run today.  went from the beginning of the river walk to the end, then continued out a back road to Devil's Lake State Park and back.  11.1 mi total.

Hopefully a walk with DW at the lake tomorrow.

Dan

AZ- OUCH!     That ice sneaks up on you- I know!

How long will you be in SW when you go back?  I know you're looking forward to that time!

Me, shorter runs early in week, finally had time to do 7.4 this morning on TM, hopefully warm weather holds and I can get to the rail trail tomorrow.

Dan:  great job on the back to back run, 7.4 miles yesterday and 11.1 miles today!! YAY!!   Weather predictions can be a great butt kicker, right NH?!? LOL!!  Same here with the "odd weather" .......we had fresh snow, just enough to aggravate DH in getting driveway cleared again, LOL!!  I am planning on staying for a month; DH will be flying down for a week again.  I will be visiting family, friends on the drive down and have a few meetings in AZ and NM too.  I can't WAIT!!

It was SUNNY today and much warmer around 22 degrees, 8 mph wind, feels 16 degrees around 10 this morning!! AWESOME!!   So got my butt out the door for a 'short' run, 6.2 miles.  The 'winter fest' is going on in town on the frozen lake with curling, turkey bowling , and the annual polar plunge!! NUTS!! The frozen lake has the usual ice-fishing tents/shelters spread all over as well.  I've missed the 'activities' the last 2 yrs last yr (1st yr) so wanted to WITNESS the crazy people taking the plunge in 34 degrees lake!!  Most were dressed in costumes, as teams or individuals, some did it for charity or in memory of a loved one, birthdays, etc.  A few bikini wearing ladies, most guys in shorts/t-shirts.  It was a happening place, HAHA!!  Photos below.  Lasted about 45 mins.  Afterwards, we went to gym to get in additional workout. I did 30 mins. elliptical, 30 mins cycling, 15 mins rowing.  The local charter high school had their teens in the gym playing basketball and as usual, families with their kids. A couple of moms walking with strollers on track .....in the 'running lanes'!!  Must have been irritating for the few runners who had to keep going 'around' them.  I would have been, and would have mentioned it and pointed to the posting to walk in the inside lanes.  Relieved I wasn't running! 

Turkey Bowling!!

Curling tournament

Ice blocks from lake to make room for the plunge!!

The plunge!! "Paul Bunyan" in the center with his "babes" on the side! LOL!

NH Runner

Sunday, 2/8... 4 mile treadmill run today.   First 2 miles at an easy pace to warm up, then 1.6 miles of intervals, alternating between 4 mph and 7.5 mph, 60 seconds each, then .4 mile cool down.    I had planned to run the 1 mile race today that's part of the town's annual winter carnival, but 5 inches of fresh snow overnight changed my mind.

Dan... 11.1 miles is excellent, congrats!

az... I was trying to think what it would take to get me to jump into 34 degree water, outside, in February...lol  That's a spectator sport if there ever was one.    You're still doing well maintaining fitness, good for you!     We posted at the same time, so I didn't comment on the pictures.   One word... Brrrrrr! lol