50 and over 5k and beyond

May 2017 runs and workouts (Read 10 times)

Friday (yesterday): drove to state park. Long run planned. About 15 min pre-run dynamic stretches. Started on paved trail for about 1/2 mile, then onto dirt/grassy hiking/X-country trails. No one around, very quiet throughout run. Nice cool slight breeze, mostly sunny but run was mostly in shades of trees.  Ran all the 'trail points', easy run, w/ occasional short steep/gradual hills, took 30 second walk breaks about every 2-3 miles, only had an 8 oz filled w/ Heed in collapsible bottle. Cooled down on the 1/2 mile paved trail back. Finished 12.1 miles!! WOOHOO!! About 20 min post-run stretches.  I'm doing this so much more w/ consistency and it really helps w/ recovery and less soreness.  Not that I didn't know this but was beginning to neglect it now and then or not do them as long as I should. Once home, more yoga stretching and foam rolling.

Today:  rest day..........but I'm kinda thinking I might go for a short easy run later since legs feel good.

Hello everyone, I did survive the Crazy Legs Classic.  I wasn't expecting much, didn't equal my time of 5 years ago, but enjoyed the race overall, particularly the part along the lake.  As an explanation of how slow I was, when I looked up to see myself the had cut away to the award ceremony!  LOL       Running has been very sparse since then, but hoping to get out more this weekend.

AZ-  Happy for you to be moving back to the SW, but sad you are leaving the mid-west!     September will come quickly.  Any chance for a trail race between Baraboo and Bemidji?  I'm doing a road HM in September in the Dells, the one I affectionately call the half marathon from hell.   I swore I'd never do it again, but this is the 50th year it's been run, reportedly the oldest HM in WI.    You really have a lot of options for trail races down in the SW!  If we can't get one here, DW and I'll just have to travel there!  .   You are right about the race with temp of 40- in WI that's a great temp to start a race!

DW had her retirement party this evening, given by co-workers at her school.

Dan:  good to hear from you.  HAHA, that's funny about the big screen switching to award ceremony instead of showing your finish!! Good sense of humor about it, I would have laughed about it too!   What was the distance?  Congrats to DW on finalizing her retirement!! All that time now, what to do?!?   So how long does she have wait for you to join her? LOL!! I'm sure she'll be more busy before she knows it.  That's what I hear.

We enjoyed the mid-west but it's time to leave.  We knew we only had 5-6 yrs here so not a surprise. DH only has 2.5 yrs left for full retirement, who knows where we will end up afterwards?

The only race I have closer to WI is the Afton 25K/50K trail run, July 1st. It's along the St Croix River (MN/WI).  Christie is running the 50k, I'm the 25k. We would like to run one in MI. If not, this might do: http://www.experienceland.org/maah-daah-hey-trail-run/http://www.experienceland.org/maah-daah-hey-trail-run/

Friday, 5/12... 10.5 mile railtrail mtn bike ride today.   Rode the extra half mile to get to the railroad covered bridge in this link... https://newportnh.st7.vt-s.net/about-newport/pages/pier-wrights-railroad-wooden-truss-covered-bridges built I believe, in 1907.    Also set to meet with Ortho on May 23rd to discuss treatment options for my sore heel.    From what I read, the name for what I've got is 'Insertional Achilles Tendinitis'.   I'll keep an open mind....

Rich:  May 23rd can't arrive quickly enough, right? Dan has an excellent point. Difficult to find a doc/runner like Dan and even more limited within ortho field. It's somewhat a relief when there's a name/diagnosis for the injury.  I'm sure you'll be open to many suggestions/advice that will get you back on the running trail.  How is the weather there lately?  Raining alot? How is DW doing?

NH Runner

Saturday, 5/13... 9.5 mile road ride on the tryke today.   One of the hazards of riding the tryke on the roads is the broken glass from bottles, etc. thrown out by motorists.   It's bad enough riding a bike, but keeping that 3rd tire out of the glass can be a real challenge...lol   A couple of times I thought a tire was going down, but was wrong.    Now Altair's gonna tell me to carry a spare...

az... man, you're doing so good lately, 12.1 trail miles is a great workout!    You're just doing typical runner stretches, right?    You're making good progress and getting stronger every day, nice to see.   I was wrong about the date to see the Ortho, it's Monday, the 22nd.    Their schedule is for 1/2 hour visits, so I won't get a lot of time.   The woman scheduling the appt. said surgery is the last option and I'm open for suggestions, so we'll see.    You asked about our weather and the next couple of days it's going to rain, then dry out with temps in the 70's and 80's next week.    Finally!...lol   DW hasn't been walking, but says she'll start soon.    It's tough not to nag, I'm just hoping she'll get a routine started when the weather improves and stay with it 'til it becomes a habit.

Art in AZ

Thursday was a rest day so I went for a 1.5 mile walk. To nice of morning to waste.

Friday got in another 5 miles in the morning. Weather was warm before it starts cooling off again for a few days.

13 miles this morning running along the canals. Did the long run today because Sunday morning it's an early (7:30) breakfast followed by a movie. So that will take up the whole morning.

AZ - I noticed the mileage similarity when I posted. With so many choices during the cooler months it's hard to pick where to go. But like you, those short courses or laps make me say 'not interested'. If I'm going to travel I want an interesting course to run. Too bad there isn't a race in Albuquerque or nearby that weekend.

Rich - Well it seems the doctor's visit paid off in that the x-rays found the cause. Now to wait and see what they suggest for the cure. At least you still have the other methods of exercise to help maintain your sanity.

Dan - Congrats on finishing the Crazy Legs Classic. To bad they cut away from your finish. And congrats to your wife on retiring. Does she have any plans after the excitement of retiring dies and starts wondering what to do with all that 'free' time?

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Thought about a short run yesterday but rested instead, stretching/foam rolling.

Today:  I will run but I left much later than I wanted to.....oh well.  About 68 degrees, some clouds rolled in, a few sprinkles and got sunny. Drove to the 'maze,' about 6 vehicles w/ bike racks.  Ran each loop twice, one other female runner, we high-fived!! HA!!  Then 5 mtn bikers riding the opposite way.  Rest of the time, it was quiet and a reflective run. Lots of roots to focus on.  After each loop, stopped by car to hydrate/stretch.  It was a great run, especially the short hills. woohoo!! About 75 degrees when I finished 8.1 miles!!  post-run stretches.  Got home, DH had dinner ready, yay!!

Art:  yes, it would be great to find a trail race in Albq when I'm there for the bike ride.  Still need to look around Santa Fe/Taos area. You've been consistent w/ your miles.  How far is it to Tempe Lake?  Anytime there's a 'cool' wave, you gotta take it!!

Rich:  great work out!!  I was actually feeling very grateful during my run that I'm injury is healing very well.  I'm working my way up to longer distances ......with much patience.  I hear you on DW getting started on a plan.  DH swims 4-5 times/week but when the pool is closed for a week or two, he doesn't really do anything else.  He use to walk around the neighborhood in the evenings, about 2 miles, when we had our dog. He tells me to ride my mtn/road bike to 'cross-train' when he doesn't even ride his!    Anyway, I don't nag, but I run an extra mile for him, LOL!!

NH Runner

Monday, 5/15... yesterday was a day off due to rain that started out as an inch of wet snow first thing in the morning.   I was mourning the loss of my vegetable garden, but the carrots, beets and snap peas that had already poked their heads through the soil survived just fine.   Today I got to thinking about my heel and how running on it at this point probably wouldn't change the world, so out the door I went headed for the railtrail.   3 miles with a few walk breaks thrown in, but definitely better than not running.   Iced my heel when I was done, turned on the news and everybody was still talking about Trump, so nothing changed...   The world would be a better place if everybody took up running, wouldn't it? lol

Art... I see you're doing your part making the world a better place, a couple of nice runs for you the last few days...lol   That 13 miler's a good indication of your fitness level, really solid as usual.  When I see the Ortho on the 22nd, I'll be asking questions about what's involved getting heel spurs removed, unless there's another way for me to get back running again, that's what I'll be pushing for...

az... runners are special, aren't they?  Kindred spirits high fiving each other...lol  Nice run yesterday!   That's funny DH encouraging you to ride the bike, at least he's got your best interests are heart...lol   I met a couple of older women walking the trail a while ago while riding the tryke, when one of the women said, "Now that's the way to go", meaning the tryke.   I said, "I could use a push", the other woman said, "We could use a lift"...lol   That's what you tell DH next time he tells you to ride the bike, "I could use a push"! lol

NH Runner

Tuesday, 5/16... 9 mile tryke ride on the railtrail today.   Footing was better after the rain we've had, ended up a solid workout.   Yesterday's 3 mile walk / jog made my legs sore...lol   How bad is that? lol

Art in AZ

5 miles around the neighborhood this morning. Sunny, clear and cool. trying to get out a little earlier in anticipation of the warmer weather ahead.

AZ - I agree that running hills helps with our overall running. It's just when they get 'steep' that you really feel the workout. At least here I do. Tempe Town Lake is about 12 miles from where I live. When I do that route on the bike I get in 25 miles. If I ever ran that route to there I would need a ride home.  Though if I were to meet family there for breakfast I could run there but would have to leave a couple of hours before them. Hmmm....that's a thought but not likely to happen. Meeting them for breakfast. They usually want to shop afterward and I would be in no mood to go shopping.

Rich - Those crops are pretty hardy and it usually takes a deep hard freeze to kill them off. I'm all done with peas here but I have a few carrots and beets left to pick. An easy 3 miles probably felt good just to get out and run. Gotta love women with spirit.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Ominous clouds on the horizon all day, rain sprinkles all morning ......and I kept procrastinating .........watching the clouds.  Made dinner early. Then took off for a short run nearby on the fairgrounds, flat/mostly gravel/dirt road.  Ran about 1/2 mile towards the lake but a little muddy here and there, nice and quiet except for the noises of the critters ...........and guess what? MOSQUITOES!! Not too bad yet but they are getting ready, LOL!!  Finished 6 miles, w/ a few strides, good strong steady & sweaty run!   Sun peeked out for about 10 minutes but the nice cool breeze really helped.

I registered to run the 16 miler in this trail run, RB wants to run the marathon (I think), well, she better.  One of us has to run the marathon to make the trip worthwhile, ha!! We are camping!!  https://ultrasignup.com/register.aspx?did=41941  

Not sure if I want to run the HM in this: http://www.sourgrapesrun.com/   This was my first 'trail run' after moving to MN.  Was very disappointed.  After the 2nd loop on the well-maintained groomed grassy non-technical course, I got bored. It has short gradual hills though. It's only the closest trail event.  I remember I did place 1st in AG but had to wait couple of hours for the award ceremony.  Post run food was mostly eaten by family members, non-runners.  But why spend the entry fee if I'm already not excited about it, right? sigh>>>

July:  I  have the Afton 25K trail run.

August:  The Badlands 16 miler trail run.  Believe me I wish I could run the marathon or the 50K but I have to be patient due to injury area still healing.

Art:  I really enjoy running the hills, been working on my form and it has made all the difference.  Getting out EARLY for those runs , I just don't do early morning runs unless it's a race event.  I try now and then but I'm talking 8 am!  Not a shopper here either!! I rather run back, haha!! What/where is your next race event, if any?

Rich:  Starting out slow tests your patience, believe you me!  I was 'jogging' 1/2 mile, walking 1/2, etc, then jogging a mile, walk, jog, etc.  I'm grateful I've come this far since January.  Once you get your heel taken care of, you'll be rocking that trail!! You are doing excellent cross-training tho'.

NH Runner

Wednesday, 5/17... hammered out a decent mtn bike ride today, not like Art, but 12 miles on the railtrail at a decent clip.   I was thinking of mowing the lawn later today with the push mower, but am going to hold off 'til after I run tomorrow.   Anything rubbing on the back of my heel the way a pair of boots will, will aggravate my 'bad' heel, so it can wait.   I've cut the back out of the running shoe I'm running in, but still paid the price for Monday's 3 miler.   Only bad for a little over a day, but I figure I might as well do whatever I can, while I can.   And finally, after an inch of snow this past Sunday and temps in the 30's, we're at 85 degrees today and forecast to hit 90 tomorrow...lol

Art... yeah, that 3 miler was refreshing, the bike and tryke are nice, but nothing gets the juices flowing like a run, even one that's interrupted with walks...lol   And yeah, the reason I planted peas, carrots and beets so early was the planting instructions that read, "plant as soon as you can work the soil".    It's funny as runners the different ways we try to cope with the weather, you're out early to beat the heat, in the Winter, I'm out later to run in the warmest part of the day...lol    Nice 5 miler just the same...

az...I hear you with 'slow' runs testing your patience.  I'm sure you notice how I cheer the progress you've made, it's not easy coming back from an injury.   In my case, now that I know what I'm dealing with, I've decided to just do what I can 'til I start treatment.   My heel blew up a little after Monday's run, but icing calmed it down enough so I'm planning another run tomorrow.    That'll probably be it 'til the Ortho meeting, but we'll see.   A solid 6 miles for you yesterday, good stuff!   That's quite a race schedule you're working on, your love of running is showing.

NH Runner

Thursday, 5/18... 5 mile railtrail run with walk breaks.   Not bad, heel's a little sore, but nothing I can't tolerate.   Next up is mowing the lawn...

Rich: finally snow melting?!? And then the reverse on temps, wow!! Good job on getting some miles in, every one of them counts.  It's frustrating I know. Yes, I definitely appreciated all the encouragement from everyone here, and the long road back has been challenging but also invigorating w/ each mile I have met.  Hang in there!

It's nice and cool all day, w/ high of 57 and overcast turned to sunny day! Cool breeze was such a welcome when I needed it.  Drove to state park. Ran on paved trail and also some miles on X-country trails, w/ decent hill running. Finally got into a good steady rhythm after 3 miles. Took 30 seconds walk breaks after every 3 miles. Finished 12 miles!! YAY! Felt great!! Leaving for Hikefest tomorrow till Sunday.

Art in AZ

8.4 mile canal run this morning. Weather slightly warmer but it's getting warmer for the weekend and beyond.

AZ - I'm with you on the early morning runs. Unfortunately tis the season where I have to start getting out there early. Nice couple of runs for you there. See the patience has paid off and it's almost like you didn't have any issues earlier. A couple of planned races to keep you on the path. I don't have anything booked right now. Still deciding. I would like to do the Bryce Canyon half in July but prior commitments may not make it possible. We're still talking Santa Fe in Sept. and Monument Valley in Nov. It's hard trying to coordinate all the schedules.

Rich - A bike ride and a run the past couple of days. The trouble with me and the bike is I like to travel. There's been a couple of times I just get on and ride. Take water and food with me and just head in a direction and go for a ride. Don't you just love the temp swings.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Friday, 5/19... 12 mile ride on the roads with the tryke today.   Detoured enough to ride through the local covered bridge, which is always a treat.   Also, when I changed the tires and tubes on my mtn bike a few days ago, I noticed the rear wheel had 3 busted spokes all in succession.    I remember a branch getting caught in the wheel a while ago and thought one spoke had busted, hadn't realize it was three.    Anyway, I found a guy on-line who makes spokes to order and went through the ordeal of installing the new ones yesterday.   Not a difficult job, just time consuming.   My poor ol' mtn bike doesn't get a lot of attention, but he's lookin' pretty good right now...lol

az... yeah the snow's gone...lol  We were 92 degrees yesterday, mid 70's today.   Nice 12 miler yesterday!

Art... you do pretty dern good riding that bike!   There's something about a bike seat and my back side that doesn't encourage long rides...lol   I suppose part of it's also got to do with riding the tryke, I spend a fair amount of time sitting and riding between the two of 'em.   That and fit, my mtn bike's too small, but I've made enough changes to it that I 'get by'.    If I can get on it and go at a decent clip for 10 miles, it's served its purpose.   Nice run yesterday...