50 and over 5k and beyond

June 2016 runs & workouts (Read 11 times)

adkkev

A new month already!!

We spent our weekend in the Adirondacks ... Saturday we went to the Wild Center in Tupper Lake with our granddaughter & other family, had a great time on the Wild Walk (an elevated walkway above the trees) ... and then on Sunday my wife & I decided to take a mini-road trip up along the east coast of Lake Ontario up to the St. Lawrence River ... stopped at some light houses, some wildlife areas, etc. along the way.  Because we were close to the lake we had a nice breeze that helped mitigate the humidity.  And we missed all the thunderstorms, etc., that hit eastern NY.  Saw a lot of osprey nests & their occupants ... and then on our way home through the Adirondacks we saw our first Adirondack moose!!

Hope everyone had a nice holiday weekend!!

Art in AZ

5 miles this morning to start the month. Weather is suppose to get past hot this weekend. Hot here is defined as 105 degrees. The predictions so far for Fri., Sat, and Sun. are 111, 114, 113. We might set some new records. Gotta love the weather here.

adkkev - The trip to Wild Center sounds like a lot of fun, especially the Wild Walk. What a great way to spend the day.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

adkkev Sounds like a scenic tour.

Art in AZ Hope you don't get too hot.  You had some good workouts recently. Did you get enough moisture for your garden so far this year?

az2mntrail Congratulations on your race. Sounds difficult, but you did well!

rmcj001 Nice mileage you have there.

justrundan Handy for you to be able to train on the DWD trails.

NH Runner Hope your leg/achilles is ok.

I haven't been running more than a couple of miles, due to some medical issues, not running-related, which have improved.

7 miles on the track.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

adkkev

Wednesday - instead of running today I decided to load up my new backpack and take it for an initial "shakedown" walk/hike on the nature trail.  Put in my sleeping bag, bear canister (partially full of random things), cook kit, fuel, & some water ... I was able to dial in the pack nicely & I was very pleased with how the pack handled the weight easily.  I think I'll be doing this off and on for the next few weeks, adding a few more things to increase the weight.  Hopefully I'll be able to take an extended long weekend backpacking hike over Father's Day weekend up in a part of the Adirondacks that I've never explored before.

And these "short" work weeks screw me up every time ... it's Thursday morning but still feels like a Wednesday.  But I'll get over it!

Good to see you back Chantilly!!  Smile

DARN IT!!  I posted in May, didn't check the 'month'

I copied and pasted to JUNE, yippee it worked!!

GOOD TO SEE YOU BACK CHANTILLY!! You were missed and glad that you are doing well.

Hi everyone!  After my Saturday HM trail race in CO, I left on Sunday and stayed till Tues. visiting DS/DIL and a couple of friends in Albq. NM.  Made it to northern AZ home on Tuesday, WINDY, WINDY!! for most of the drive on the interstate!  Ran on Wed, 6 miles. On Thursday, met up with Trail Divas for a 5.5 mile run starting around 8,000 ft and running down to 7,000 ft.  It was AWESOME!!  Rest Friday and drove to Phoenix to visit with 2 granddaughters and DD.  Picked up DH who flew in on Saturday morning.  Sunday and Monday, we drove to NM to attend two nieces' graduation receptions and visited family.  We returned LATE LATE Monday night.  Planned on running about 12-14 miles on Tuesday but barely made it to 9.5 miles!! I was so tired BEFORE I even started. Felt 'OK' with 1 min walk break after every mile till 6 miles then my feet/legs felt like cement!!  I  had to sit a couple of minutes a couple of times. No energy at all.  Walk break every 1/2 mile the last 3 miles. The 'heat' around 80 DEGREES!! didn't help either!! OMy goodness!!   Between AZ/NM, we lose/gain an hour and that hour sure affects my sleep.  I don't feel like I'm getting the rest I need to run at this elevation but I'm trying! So I rested yesterday and drank lots of COLD water.  Today, I will be meeting the Trail Divas again for a 5.5ish miles but I will get in a few miles before, would like to run about 10-12 miles today.

All sounds well with each of you.  Have limited time on computer at library.  Will check in when I can.  Be safe and stay cool!!

Chantilly75

adkkev You must have liked your hike last year, if you're going to do one again. Is the same person going with you?

az2mntrail I wish I could go back to Albuquerque. Such a scenic town. You will have to get used to the heat in AZ. Take it easy at first.  I saw up to 116F in the forecast for the Phx area. Don't know how Art in AZ manages.

8 miles on the track with a couple of walking breaks. An hour of yard work after lunch.

I bought weed killer this year and also got that EZ grass seed, which comes with a shell coating and mulch. It is growing in a couple of bare patches already on the side yard and the front yard looks a little thicker.

Sonata Arctica

Chantilly75

5 miles on the track.

Sonata Arctica

adkkev

Thursday - 3+ mile hike on the nature trail with the backpack again ... stuffed a few more things in the pack to increase the weight.

Chantilly - planning on a solo backpack to another area, this time in the northwestern Adirondacks.  Last year I hiked on a portion of the Long Trail in Vermont.

Chantilly:  I live further north than Art, we are at least 7,000 ft where we live and the trees give great shade but the temps have been in the 70s and 80s here!!   But the 'dry heat' in the mountains are much more tolerable than the 'humid heat' of MN.  I love NM which is where I am from originally so Albq is our 'go-to-city.'  I miss it but have family there to visit including DS/DIL.  Have you ever been to the NM Balloon Fiesta in Oct?  (hot air balloons).  It's amazing!!  NM has tons of trail races but the big one is the Duke City HM and FM which I ran years ago.  So glad you are getting some miles in, albeit slowly ..........totally can relate to that!

Art:  Oh My, the temps are enough to get fried!!  We will be in Phx on Sunday for DH to fly back to MN, will visit GDs and DD then haul my butt back to the mountains!! Stay cool.

adkkev:  what an awesome plan for a solo hike!! wow!!  Smart to get the pack situated and do you 'practice' hiking with the weight? How long do you estimate it will take? Your trip along Lake Ontario sounds glorious!!  What's makes a moose an "Adirondack?"

Met up the Trail Divas and ran a trail that I had never run before although I knew it was there (among many others).  The first 3 miles were up/down rocky/dirt portions and then leveled off at the top.  I had already run about 6 miles on a different trail, rested for about 20 minutes before we all met up and finished about 5.5 miles.  So I ended up finishing about 11.5 miles and it felt a WHOLE LOT better than the sucky on on Tues!! Rest today.  Tomorrow (Saturday), I will be running the 10k here at a popular trail for the annual event.  I've run it before but it's been a few years so I'm excited about it.

Art in AZ

8 miles yesterday morning. Sunny and warmer. End of the run was about 8:10 AM and the temp was already in the mid 80's. Didn't feel too bad because it is still very dry out. That will change towards the end of the month.

5 miles this morning and it felt a little warmer then yesterday.

Chantilly - Nice to see you back. Glad to hear you are feeling better. The rain was pretty sparse this year so far here. When the area did have rain, it was always someplace else. Though the clouds and cooler temps were nice. How I manage the heat? Try to get out early this time of year and don't worry about it too much. I like the warmer weather. Though for the first time this year when I walked outside barefoot a little while ago, the concrete had absorbed enough heat that I hurried back in and put shoes on.

adkkev - Sounds like the new backpack will work out nice. The hike sounds like fun. Hope you see a lot of things and have good weather.

AZ - Some good runs for you back home. Yes, it is finally hot here. But it's still a dry heat so far. I'm hoping to be able to copy last year's runs before the half later in the year. Knowing now I need to be able to run longer in the heat. Trying to get in that good base before it gets humid here.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Quick check-in from the part timer.    Short runs and bike rides are the order of the day lately, but I'm at least maintaining.    Ran a 5K a while ago and took 3rd in age group, only because the guys behind me were limping worse than I was...

Garden's doing great, but now I have to learn when to harvest the stuff and how to store it.

Chantilly... good to see you up and moving again.

Everyone else seems to be having fun as well, eh?

Az... wanted you to see this  http://bhttp://breakingmuscle.com/yoga/help-for-your-shortie-hamstringsreakingmuscle.com/yoga/help-for-your-shortie-hamstrings   in case you're still dealing with chronic tight hamstring.   Be sure to read all the way down and watch the video, it works.

Don't hold your breath, but I'll be back...

Art in AZ

6 miles this morning, sunny skies and pretty warm. Had to take a couple of walk breaks because I felt tired. I wanted to pay closer attention to this run so I made a point to check the time and the temp. Left at 7:40 with a temp of 86 degrees. Slept in some so got a later start and knew it was warm out because the slight breeze didn't have that touch of cool. I could feel a warm breeze. So did my 6 miles stopping at the drinking fountain on the way out and again towards home. Also when there did a chin-ups going out and some pull-ups going back. When I got back the time was 8:45 and the temp was 95. No wonder it felt warmer. Maybe I'll add the temps to my log just to keep track.

Rich - About time you checked in.  Congrats on the 5K. Nice to hear the garden is going good. I'm sure you'll figure out when to pick the stuff. Do like I do. Pick and taste. Store the stuff. What are you looking to store. Stuff doesn't last long around here for me to worry about storing it much.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

justrundan

June greetings everyone. Lots to catch up on.

No long run this weekend. Took a solo motorcycle trip Thursday-Saturday morning, enjoying the beauty & visiting friends. Even got in a 4 mile run on bike trail in northern WI. Just over 750 miles in the 2+ days.

Another 4 miles this morning before church.

DD is up for supper while her husband is visiting his parents in India. Doing the grilling thing.

Will try to catch up on everyone later.

Welcome back Chantilly!

Dan

Chantilly75

adkkev I am having trouble figuring out the difference between the Long Trail, the Adirondacks and the Appalachians.

az2mntrail I saw a smaller balloon fest some years ago back east.

Duke City looks like a good marathon, but I really want to do the Turtle in Roswell. 👽

Your leg must be feeling better.

Art in AZ You do well to get out early.  Did you go back to the newer bagel place or is the drive just not worth it?

NH Runner Out-limping all the other older guys is still winning! LOL

justrundan Nice to get out for a bike ride. what kind of motorcycle do you have?

Saturday: 6 miles

Sunday: 6 miles

Monday: 5 miles

Sonata Arctica