50 and over 5k and beyond

June 2017 runs and workouts (Read 11 times)

justrundan

5 miles yesterday, 6.5 today.  working tomorrow morning in clinic, so hope to just walk a few miles before I go in.  it will be in the 90's by the time I come home. 

Chantilly- BMW motorcycles are not common like Harley or Honda, but there are a fair number around.  I don't get to ride often, so that was a good ride for me.

Altair- great pics!  beautiful area.

Rich- glad the heel is feeling better; keep it up!

Art- what are the temps if you get out 'early' for a run?  it's starting to heat up here, and of course is usually humid!

AZ- glad yesterday's run was better, less pain.  Keep it up.

Dan

Art in AZ

13 miles this morning under the usual clear sunny skies. Slight breeze as a low pressure front passes through the area. During the run a young guy comes up behind me and slows down and chats for a couple of minutes. He asks how old I am and I tell him and he goes "That's awesome you still run." and we do a fist bump. I tell him I'm doing 13 miles today and I get back a "Good for you" and "good luck" and he slowly pulls ahead.

AZ - What is this theory on training your body to cool efficiently? Only saw one article doing a quick search? And that was acclimating to the hot weather. I think I'm at that stage now what with the weather we have been having lately. Oh, what an offer on Duke City.  I'm trying to get out earlier. This morning I got out at 6:45 AM. Not to bad since it is still dry out. Though the temp when I finished was 88 degrees.

Altair - Interesting articles.

Rich - Good news on the heel so far. The bike rides get you some exercise while some parts get a rest. I plan on a long bike ride tomorrow.

Dan - Nice couple of runs. The morning temps are normally in the mid 80s and up. Though there is a low pressure system passing through the area so the temps will drop about 10 degrees before going back up middle of next week. So far the humidity has been low but soon that will start rising in a couple of weeks.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Happy Saturday!!

Rest Friday.  Yoga stretches and some foam-rolling while watching the original "The Fly" (1958) ......I watched it for the first time on a girl scout trip, I was a brownie and since it was a double movie night, the second was "Psycho" (1960). What was the troop leader thinking?!?   I still have to cover my eyes in the end of "The Fly" LOL!!

Saturday:  Today nothing went as planned ............first I overslept! Stayed up later than I should have. Got to the mtn dirt trail 'maze' two hrs later than I wanted to.  It's 75 degrees, 80% humidity, breezy and dark clouds in the distance.  Second, has to be a shorter run instead of long run. IT WAS A SAUNA in the woods   But wore long-sleeved tech shirt, shorts and arm band w/ phone/key.  I can hydrate at the car after each loop. Two mtn bikers on the trail, at different times and one other runner, going in opposite direction.  A "looking good" and a high-five and we kept going. HA!! Not sure if it's piriformis which feels better ..........but since I've never I.T. band problem, not sure if that's what's nagging me on left leg.  Anyway, it was annoying but didn't feel 'painful' when running, but uncomfortable when walking thus, no walk breaks, HA! It was a good run, totally drenched, ran the big loop twice, decent short hills, finished 5.2 miles!! Will attempt long run on Mon or Wed. Third, decided on shorter run b/c I had a Harley bike ride schedule w/ another female biker but had to cancel b/c of possible rain, it got more overcast later in day but it didn't rain after all!!  Oh well ......DH and I have dance lessons tonight.

NH Runner

Saturday, 6/10... 10 mile road ride with the Tryke today.   I usually ride Isabelle facing traffic the same way I do when I run, so bikers coming the other way will be on the same side of the road.    One biker at about the 4 mile mark yelled something as he approached and put his hand up to give me a high 5, I stuck mine up and we pulled it off, both of us going at a good clip...lol   Gave me something to chuckle about and another 'first' on Isabelle...lol   The next biker gave me a thumbs up, those guys made my day...lol  When I got home, DW is back from her big adventure looking for 'yard sales' and informs me she's bought a chair that I need to bring home.   We get there and durned if there isn't a decent mtn bike for sale that's got an 18 inch frame, just my size and bigger than the one I own now that's too darn small.   So, I loaded up the chair AND the bike and headed for home, tomorrow I'll find out if I bought a gem or a lump of coal...lol   The owner was an older gent who said he just rode it up and down the rode.

Here's a fun little race to watch, Mo Farah goes up against U.S.A.'s 1500 meter Gold Medalist in Rio, Mathew Centrowitz... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUWEQ3UO4FM

Altair5... thanks again, those articles are an interesting read.

Dan... that's a couple of nice runs for a guy who's been struggling to get out, good for you!

Art... sounds like a fun back and forth with the younger runner.   Seeing you probably made his day, with luck, he's still got a lot of running miles to look forward to in the future.   Part of tomorrow's workout will include a spin on the new bike, I've been wanting to ride some of the side trails that branch off from the railtrail, but my smaller framed bike wouldn't let me stand on the pegs without feeling like I was going to do a header over the handlebars, so we'll see how that goes.   Also plan to do a short e z run...

My brother called as he is driving to San Antonio TX from NM .........for a week-long conference. Time flies!!  Gotta get ready for dance lessons, sorry to not respond back w/ personals.  Will do that tomorrow!!

Art in AZ

Did a 28 mile bike ride under clear sunny skies but it was very windy out. This route goes along the canals and includes a couple of good hills on the surface streets. With the wind this was a really good workout. Felt tired and a little sore after this ride. Thank goodness there were some easy stretches in there. Lots of people out in the hilly subdivision. Lots of bicyclists, a few runners and one lady roller blading.

AZ - What a combination of movies to show to girl scouts! What was she thinking? I liked "The Fly" but didn't care for "Psycho" much. Think of your running in those conditions as prepping you for your return to Arizona and Monson Season. Do I remember August as being the return time? That run could have felt like a long run in those conditions. Did you schedule a Harley ride for another date?

Rich - Nice tryke ride and thumbs up to the bike riders. My experience with people that are out exercising are most are very friendly and cordial. Practically all wave or nod as we pass. I'm not familiar with bike frame sizes as everything here in measured in tire size. Then the bikes I buy aren't from a dedicated bike shop. It sounds like it has 26" wheels which is what I have now. It is just a tad short for me based on the recommended way to measure. I really should be on one size up. I was at a Walmart here a few weeks ago and they had a really good selection. Made me think pretty hard about getting a new bike. Good luck on the trial run. Hope it works out for the best.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Another week is starting if you go by Sun-Sat........

Art:  we didn't reschedule our Harley bike ride but will try to get one in before DH hauls them back to AZ at end of the month. Don't mind since I didn't ride much up here compared to AZ/NM.  The moving company will pack/move most of our stuff.  DH doubled his stuff for sure and there are some things the moving company will not take so FIL may end up helping w/ some hauling/driving to AZ.  DH has the T-bird, a race car, a Chevy Laguna, his truck, and his new Ford Focus RS.  I might have my Caddy hauled down which will leave me w/ the Ford Focus RS to drive down to AZ, it's a  manual and I learned to drive on a shifter w/ a clutch which makes this a spit-fire of car.......that would be FUN!!

Nice LONG bike ride there!! My running in the 'sauna' on Sat is not even close to hot weather/monsoon season in AZ/NM .......the humidity here makes it tough for me to breathe in especially when running, high temps I can tolerate more it seems.  We are thinking we will be here till end of August.  Not in any hurry to sell the house, DH might visit a couple of more times to help out w/ the transition at the clinics he's leaving.

Rich:  It's cool to have other active people acknowledge the effort you put out each day whether it's riding or running, etc.  There's plenty of roller bladers around here, on the paved state park especially.  I have a pair but don't do that anymore and not going to. Picking up the chair for DW turned into a shopping spree for you, haha!! Glad it was a good find at a good price w/ little mileage.

Altair: lots of recent research provide different options and it's always good to stay abreast of such things.  Thanks for sharing.  I try to stay organic and off meds (RX or OTC) and look into alternative ways to treat any issues before meds or surgery.  Didn't know you were a vegetarian, good for you!!  I'm not but tend to eat more vegetarian meals for some years now.  DH is also more cognizant of his eating and does all the grocery shopping. We do some juicing as well.  What do you do/eat post-run?  The song was "Take it Easy" by the Eagles, written by Jackson Brown and Glenn Frey.  I made it through HS listening to the Eagles alot.  I don't know how many times I hiked the Grand Canyon up/down in one day so it was such a treat to share the experience w/ my RB, it was her first time to the area.  We are planning on hiking North Rim next time, do some overnight camping along the way.  When I run to "train my body to cool itself more efficiently," it's on easy less effort running days, between 60-100 minutes only.  I hydrate (take frozen water when I can) but wearing long-sleeve/capris also helps w/ less burning of skin. Then on race days, I wear short sleeved/tank tops/shorts and body doesn't feel too shocked/distressed by the heat/humidity combo. I know it's gonna be hot but I try not to complain about it too much, there's enough of that from other runners.  I always wonder why they thought it would be any different and/or didn't expect it?? Training days are just not for piling up mileage, it's to try to prepare for what race day might be, temp/weather wise, IMO.

Chantilly:  hope you got some mileage in? Any rainstorms up thataway?

It did rain but late at night and into this morning.  REST day for me.  Spent time throughout the day w/ yoga stretching/foam rolling.  Hope to get in a run tomorrow, will let legs decide the distance.  The piriformis area is less annoying now, and walking is improving.  Will definitely go and stay with my regular trail shoes and reg. brand of insoles I've been using from now on. Doesn't take much to mess up your gait/form.    We didn't go to the dance event either as the scheduled time was later than the text message indicated.  We got hungry and ran into some friends and had dinner instead.

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Rich - I saw several articles about using apple cider vinegar to dissolve calcium deposits.  This one's from a site called "Earthclinic" :

Calcium Deposits Remedies

May 24, 2017

Natural treatments for calcium deposits can break down deposits, reduce inflammation and relieve pain. Apple cider vinegar, magnesium and chanca piedra are three of our most successful home remedies. Calcium is necessary for the structure and functioning of the body, but excess calcium can lead to a number of problems, including calcium deposits. While treatments vary depending on the location and cause of deposits, natural remedies for the condition help balance the level of calcium in the body. Treatments such as apple cider vinegar and herbs help the body to use calcium more effectively and dissolve calcium deposits.

What Causes Calcium Deposits?

If you’ve recently received a diagnosis for calcium deposits, you are likely wondering how you developed the condition, especially since you are not one to overindulge in dairy products. While dairy is to blame in some cases, such as with kidney stones, a number of other factors are more common causes. In some cases, calcification is simply a normal part of aging, yet other factors include injury, infection, disorders with calcium metabolism, and genetics or autoimmune disease.

How Can I Naturally Treat Calcium Buildup?

No matter the cause of your calcium deposits, you can use natural options to treat them. While you may consider trying a number of options, some of the most effective include apple cider vinegar, magnesium, and chanca piedra.

1. Apple Cider Vinegar

One of our stand-by treatments, apple cider vinegar is an effective option for treating calcium deposits as well. The vinegar dissolves the misplaced calcium and even restores the natural balance of nutrients in the body. Drink at least 1 tablespoon of ACV diluted in 8 ounces of water daily.

2. Magnesium

Healthy cells contain high levels of magnesium and lower levels of calcium, so your calcium deposits are likely a result of an imbalance. Boosting the magnesium in your system will help breakdown the calcium deposits and restore the natural mineral levels in your body.

3. Chanca Piedra

Chanca piedra is a medicinal herb. The herb helps reduce inflammation and treat pain, but it also helps breakdown the buildup of calcium in the body. This option is so effective, you’ll likely experience immediate relief.

Depending on their location, calcium deposits can be uncomfortable or very painful. Give one of these treatment options a try or continue reading below to see what our readers recommend and let us know how it works for you!

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
                  Get up, get out, get out of the door!

NH Runner

Sunday, 6/11... 4 mile railtrail run today, e z effort, but pace was a tad quicker.    My heel still complains a little, but doesn't get worse as a run progresses like it used to and overall, has improved 30 / 40% since I started the eccentric heel drops.   Cautiously optimistic at this point.    Family BBQ overruled a test run for the new mtn bike today, so...

Monday, 6/12... 9 mile ride today on my new mtn bike 'Raleigh'...lol   No issues with arms falling asleep because of a lousy fit, my new bike's a winner.    I tried taking one of the side trails that intersect the railtrail, stood up on the pedals to climb a steep section and had the rear tire spin on the wet leaves.    That in turn jammed my right heel when the pedal bottomed out, causing an instant sore heel, but nothing serious.   Gave up on climbing hills for the day though...   All in all a really enjoyable ride...

Art... what a ride, eh?  Nice!   My road bike  just hangs there collecting dust, something I need to change.    Do you ride on main highways, side roads or a combination of both?    Heading North out of town, I've got about 3.5 miles of highway with a wide breakdown lane to ride in, then it narrows to the point of being dangerous, so I turn back.   Everything else is worse unless I load the bike, drive and park...lol   BIG difference in the way a bike feels if the fit's right, there are sites on line (which is what I did) to figure out what size frame you need.    Rather than Walmart, I'd try Craigslist if you're in the market for a new bike, good used is much better than poor quality new.   And yeah, those of us who work at staying healthy share a common bond, don't we?

az... rest days are good.   Lots of fun running into people who share the same passion for staying healthy, we're like one big crazy family...lol

Altair5... I've got organic apple cider vinegar and magnesium supplements sitting here on the shelf, fancy that, eh?    I take both, but not religiously.    And thanks!

Chantilly75

justrundan Pretty hot there for your runs.

Art in AZ Challenging bike ride in the wind for you.

az2mntrail  What strange movie choices for young girls to watch! Was it at the Drive-in? Hot workout for you.  Hope the piraformis area heals up ok. Yoga should help it. A lot of work to move house.

NH Runner A couple of nice runs for you, pain-free. That's another good deal you've gotten at the yard sales. Are mtn bike tires smaller around?

My 30 yr. old bicycle is a man's 26"  --it is too tall for me, so I balance on the left side and throw my right leg over, get off it the same way. I haven't ridden a girl's bicycle since I was about 12. I like the frame and larger tires that men's bikes have.

Altair5 Your photos are very nice. Sounds encouraging that you got up to the 51 mile week without any lasting effects.  Too bad about the dental emergency.

I got a black eye last week when the wind blew the garden gate back into my face, my eyeglasses got bent, bump on the forehead, felt kinda dizzy, wicked headache, had to take a couple of days rest.

Yard work continues, walking almost daily.

yesterday, I walked 45 minutes and ran 3 miles.

Rode my bicycle to the store and back, a total of 6 miles.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Chantilly:  OMgoodness, glad it wasn't any worse .......the wind can be such a nuisance sometimes whether in the garden or running.  there's actually an emoji for that!  Okay, another bad joke.  Relieved that you are okay!!  Hope you have extra glasses around.  Good combination there, walking and running some short miles.  Making plans for NM in Oct? If I run the Duke City HM, I won't run Las Cruces which would work out for me the more I think about it.  I'll go back to Albq the following week for "The Day of the Thread" bike ride.

Rich:  Great to hear your heel is doing better each time out but don't have a relapse due to bike riding!!  I have a Raleigh Willard bike, the all road bike, still getting use to the shifting.

So I got up at 7 and got dressed to run ........it's raining, it stopped and I got into car to drive to state park .........started raining again!! It's throwing a NHRich, haha!!     I'm doing household chores, waiting.........stopped raining, got ready to go again ..........there's thunder now and starting to POUR now!!  At least I'm dressed for a run .....that's a start.  Almost 10 here.  Have plans tonight so upon calculations, latest to run would be 2 pm.

Art in AZ

Monday was a rest day.

5 miles this morning. Saw no one on this run. Thought that kind of strange.

AZ - That's the trouble with accumulating more stuff. It poses some interesting decisions if you move. The rain can be so fickle at times.

Rich - Good news on the heel while running. So the bike was a good investment. Being comfortable sure helps no matter what you are doing. I'll have to take a look on Craigslist and see what is listed. Most of my riding is along the canals and the side streets. I do have to ride on some of the major streets but I try and find ways around that,

Chantilly - Did you beat the gate up afterwards?  Sounds like a good bump if you got a little dizzy. Glad you're alright. Nice combo there getting out.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Tuesday, 6/13... was upper body workout day, so loaded Isabelle in the truck and drove to a section of the railtrail with better footing.    Still enough areas with difficult rowing to make for a good workout, 9 miles total.

Chantilly.... mountain bike tires vary in diameter from 26 to 29 inches, so they tend to be slightly smaller than road bike tires.   Man, you took a shot to the face from that gate, eh?   Things like that, that come out of nowhere and don't give you time to react are the worst.   Glad you're ok, and doing pretty well to keep moving, all things considered...

az... I snickered at your weather, glad to know it's not just me being chased around by storm clouds...lol   A Raleigh 'Willard', eh?   Put a standard shift on that thing with a clutch and you'll be fine...lol   And yeah, no more hill climbs on the bike for me for a while, another of my dumb stunts that didn't pan out well.   Here's hoping you finally got your run in...

Art... 5 milers are good.   Good luck with Craigslist, I'll be surprised if you don't find something.   Tomorrow's another planned run, should be a good test considering my heel's still 'tender' from the last bike ride.   I'm betting I'll finish feeling better than when I started...

NH Runner

Wednesday, 6/14... 5 mile railtrail run today, one quick break at 2.5 miles.    Time for a day off, lots of yard work waiting for me, plus this is day 8 with no break.   Not like Ray's streak, but more than enough for a guy as out of shape as I am...lol

So Tuesday was the most interesting day ....  for a run ......around 1pm, stopped raining, drove to state park. Staying on paved trail would be 'faster' and better footing after all that rain.  Dark clouds seem to be moving more south.  Took off, cool breeze, sprinkle on and off but decided to turn back at 4 miles when the storm clouds looked more menacing and moving closer instead, YIKES!!

Around mile 5, THUNDER and sprinkle turned to shower.  I'm in the open portion of the trail, a running target!!    Knew there's an overpass bridge, made it just as the downpour began, more thunder!!  Only have 2 miles to my car through the shaded part of the state park.  Waited about 20 min, stretching, took photos/video of the storm, practiced some dance steps.    Finally it's letting up, just sprinkling now and I took off.  Finished 6.2 miles.

Made it to car just when another shower began.  Drove through rain, and upon turning off to my street at gas station, I heard LOUD sounds on my car, it's HAIL!! Saw an empty space at gas pump which is under a covering, stopped and waited about 5 min. Hail turned to rain and I drove to house, another downpour after pulling into garage.  There's a huge thunderstorm warning w/ possible tornado all around the counties.  It let up after an hour, stopped raining for rest of evening.  DH had a long day, he met me at the dance studio.  However, there is another thunderstorm predicted around 10:30pm and boy, it was LOUD but a spectacular lightening show for at least an hour.  Luckily, no power outage in our area.  Heard that a church steeple got hit by lightening.

Wednesday (today):  Woke up to blue bird sky morning, breezy, sunny today!! Rest day. Piriformis area has been less annoying each day, YAY!!  Yesterday's run felt good, didn't take any walk break till at 6 miles when I was waiting under the bridge. Lots of stretching/foam rolling each day.  Wore regular Cascadia shoes and the montrail insoles, I know I aggravated the piriformis when I ran in different shoes w/ different insoles than I normally wear, really messed up my gait/form.  Been a whole week and it's finally feeling better.  Tough lesson learned!