50 and over 5k and beyond

March runs & workouts (Read 23 times)

Chantilly75

az2mntrail Hope you had a happy day!  That was quite the run in the ice and wind.

gito57 the intervals you did sound ok to me, but I don't know much about them. My group does 800 m. repeats, but don't know how long the recovery interval is in between the 800's, cause I never attend….

You could try googling interval workouts.

adkkev nice outdoor run for you.

NH Runner your weather must be still nice to get out for 6 miles.

1 mile run, 15 minutes stationary bike, 2 miles run, 15 min. bike  at 7 AM.

Then had to take the car in for an oil change.

Then 4 miles more on the track.

Felt a bit stiff-kneed, but Sly and the Family Stone made me " Dance to the Music." 

Had to shovel snow the past 2 days.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Fletch

Dan - Hope the move's going well.  Good work on the TM.

Debra - Congrats on the back-to-back 100+ months!  Good job on the intervals, too.  And yes, the 55 degrees was great.  But the forecasters were spot-on...by 6pm that same day, it had dropped to 30 degrees.  Continued down to 18 overnight, with sleet and freezing rain.

Ray - Nice work on the TM.  Hope you get a little...ok, a LOT more rain.

adkkev - kilts for the mud run...sounds like a lot of fun!  Good work on the TM.  And finally - an outdoor run!  WTG

Rich - Sounds like the Achilles is healing well.  Nice times on the run, and a good day on the skis.

Chantilly - Glad you're feeling better.  Nice workouts.  And I'll take the yardwork over your snow shovelling any day.

Az - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  So cool you could celebrate with a nice run OUTDOORS!

Felt great after my 5 miler Monday morning...but it was downhill later in the day.  Cold symptoms hit full force.  Woke up Tuesday morning feeling like I had been hit by a truck.  A little better today...more like hit by a station wagon...or a large Buick.   Need to get back on track for the 5k next weekend, but the way I feel today, I probably couldn't run a mile without stopping.  Think I'll just hit the sack early and hope it's better tomorrow.

Safe running.

THANKS everyone!! for the birthday greetings!!

Was hoping temp would be 'warmer' but it's around -8 degrees, 20mph wind, feels like -21

Tried to run but after 2 miles, came home, freezing to the bone and feeling dumb (even at 54, don't learn my lesson, LOL!! ) and throat feeling overwhelmed from trying to breath.

Glad I ran yesterday.  I will try again tomorrow. If it's SUNNY & wind is not too bad, will go for a short run.......although snow is predicted, ugh!!!

You know, I'm always amazed how many people call/text/email/send cards on my birthday .  WOW!!

Chatted with friends/family; laughter is the most under-rated gift!! 

Fletch:  oh no!!  Hope you feel better tomorrow too! I rarely get sick but when I do, it does feel like being hit by a freight train, bummer!

Chantilly:  glad you're feeling so much better! Cross-training coupled with snow shoveling and groovin', how fun & amazing!!

Deb:  intervals are tough but necessary from what I read although I tend to get lazy on them.  WTG!

adkkev:  doing great!! Staying consistent, glad you're enjoying the outdoor runs!

Rich:  glad the achilles are cooperating!

justrundan

AZ- glad you had a happy DB!  Always so great to hear from family and friends!

Debra- wow, strength training, lots of miles, intervals!  You are so going to kill that hill @ DCHM Lady!  I may have to come back in 2015 and try to keep up with you! 

Chantilly- You're right, with Sly playing it's hard to stay stiff while you're movin' and groovin' to that song!

Fletch- take care of that cold, you'll be back at it in no time.

forced 'rest' day for me, looong day at work.

Weatherman snuck in another subzero night on us, but not as bad as AZ; single digits sub.  Probably TM again in the morning, but planning on a long run Friday or Saturday, whichever looks most promising weather wise.  Maybe in the 40's?    It has to come sooner or later.

Dan

Crazy Diamond

adkkev-Nice run outdoors.

Rich-Great day on the skis.  Thanks for chiming in on intervals.

Chantilly-Don't you love it when the right song ques up just when you need a little motivation.   Thanks for the interval comments, I'll check out the web.  Hope you can hang up the snow shovel soon!

Fletch-get some rest, a little chicken soup and watch some 80's MTV - worked for Chantilly!

AZ-You get a A+ for getting out there at -8.  Warmer temps will arrive.  It's great to still get greeting cards in the mail, don't you think?

Dan-Hopefully Monday's below zero was this winter's last hurrah!  The weekend weather is looking good for your LSD.  Thanks on the training, I have to get some hills in soon, though.  Otherwise Sven's bluff is going to kick my behind!  I'm hoping the Parrotheads are back at the top of the bluff.

Ran 7 super easy miles, walked 1 mile at the indoor track.  Oooo ... hip flexors reminded me about the previous day's intervals!  Although it was in the mid 20s yesterday, a lot of folks still using the track.  The sidewalks are a mess, but this weekend's warm up should help clear them.  Stretched, then home for foam rolling.

Quo Vadis?

Chantilly75

Fletch_NC you may have the influenza if you feel like you've been hit by a truck…take extra rest and get well soon.

az2mntrail hope your weather warms up soon.

justrundan hope the weather co-operates for your long run this weekend

gito57 do you have access to a treadmill for a simulated hill workout till the weather warms up?  Even if you have stairs in a building, they can help.  I have read of some runners using parking garage ramps for hill training. ( in the early hours when the place is closed to cars)

17 miles run

Walked 2 miles.

"I am the only constant "  during 3+ hours at the track, watching people come and workout, then leave, more people come and workout and leave…another aerobics class starts…and finishes…..and I am still running...

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Thursday, 3/6... another 10 minute treadmill warm-up, then 4 mile road run.  Pace was similar to the other day, high 8:00's.    I've either run or skied every day for the last 11 days, so it's time for a day off tomorrow.

Chantilly... yes, our weather's been better.  Nights have been below zero, but daytime temps 30 or better.   17 miles is awesome, WTG!   And I meant to tell you the latest edition of New England Runner lists Desiree Davila as registered to run this year's Boston Marathon.   My absolute favorite runner to watch, she's base training in Kenya right now...

Fletch... good luck with that cold.

Dan... the weatherman's forecasting 40 degrees for us this weekend too.   WHERE has the winter gone? 

az... hang in there.   You're doing just fine maintaining fitness indoors.

gito... yup, intervals will get your attention.  Once a week is all you need...

adkkev

Rich - yes, you've earned yourself a day off, that's for sure.

Chantilly - 17 miles!!  awesome.

Debra - nice 7 miles.  and yes, the sidewalks are a mess here too.

6 miles tonight around town ... decided to go out & run outside rather than at the Y despite the 15 degree temperature (it was -7 when I went to work this morning).  Not quite as many hills as Tuesday evening but still managed to fit in a few along the way.  Of course when you live on the top of a hill, everything is uphill when you're heading home!

rmcj001

AZ - Happy BDay!  Good that you were able to get out for a run.

Chantilly - Guess your cold is history!  17 miles!  WTG!

Debra - back when I was doing sprints, intervals weren't so bad - kind of liked them.  Not any more!  It's all mental...

Fletch - So, sorry you've got a bug.  Did you get your flu shot?  Hopefully you'll be better soon.

Dan - this winter has been brutal to you'all.  But, you're still getting the runs in!  Good job!

adkkev - Glad you've been able to get outside for some runs.  Gotta like it!

Rich - nice to see those times starting to drop.  Achilles is holding up so far...keep it up.

So, did a 2nd session Monday night of 2.5 miles in 20:10.  Tuesday 7.5 in under 1:04:00.  Wednesday at work 5.1miles in 51:40 or so with work mates.  Then 3 miles on the treadmill in 24:48.  Another 7.5 in under 1:04:00 today.  Mileage for last week was 51. If I stick with my plan, this week will be 56.  I'm feeling the extra mileage...

Ray

Crazy Diamond

Chantilly-Awesome 17 miles!  Keep it up and you're certain to be ready for your April marathon.  No TM, but the warmer temps we've been having should melt the icy sidewalk for some hill repeats next week.  There's a 70 yo man that runs the parking ramp where I park at work during the winter months.  He's been told by the attendant not to run there.  See him every Thursday.  Gotta love a rebel!

Rich-Super run/ski streak.  Enjoy your rest day, although don't think you ever rest!  Desi Davila is a joy to watch.  Can't wait for Boston.

adkkev-Great 6 mile run outdoors and peppered with some hills.

Ray-51 mpw!  Nicely done, your speed is fantastic!

Fletch-Feeling better?

At the indoor track last evening, warmed up with 1.5  easy miles, then tried a 3 mile Tempo run at 10k pace, followed up with another 1.5 easy.  ITB and right knee a bit bothersome, extended session with the foam roller at home.  Rest day today, but never too restful at work!

Run safe, run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

Chantilly75

NH Runner I will be excited to see Desi Davila running in Boston.  She ran such a great race there in 2011. I feel a lot of the womens' races are just runners in a pack, then a sprint to the finish, but Desi seems to be more of a Joan Benoit style runner.

After 11 days, it is probably time to take a rest day.

adkkev nice run outside for you in messy/cold conditions.

rmcj001 that's a lot of miles.  Are those work mates about your ability, speed-wise or faster/slower?

gito57 I don't think I would run in a garage unless someone was with me (creep factor) but good on that older guy!  Hope the knee rolls out ok.

5 miles.  Sore back from snow shoveling. Now I have 3+ feet out there.

Sonata Arctica

justrundan

Chantilly- wow, nice 17+2!  and another 5 today,  You are a machine.

Ray- 51 mpw, my o my!    I think I've hit 35 once and that was only at the end of marathon training!  (yes, I was undertrained!)

Debra- you continue to do a great job at the track.  Hopefully the paved paths will be clear by tomorrow or Sunday.  some around here were great today, others still snow/ice covered.  Take care of that ITB.

Rich- "Where has the winter gone"?   LOL!!  Enjoy the warmer weather.

adkkev- nice job getting out there.  It sure is nice to be off the TM for a change!

LSD today, 14.8 total, the last 1.6 walking back to my truck from the coffee shop where I finished the run.  My body is telling me it's not used to this and doesn't like it.  I'm afraid I may have to hit the foam roller, much as I dislike it! 

Enjoy warmer weekends friends.

Dan

Hey there!  Week has been inconsistent in regard to running, still enduring the weather changes.

Tues: 5.4 miles to celebrate my 54th birthday .  Wed: WINDY but I tried to tough it out, only to just finish 2 miles, ugh! It was bitter cold with the windchill Thurs:  gentle snow most of the day and got WINDY.  Snow swirling off our roof and trees swaying, DH came home early and we went out for dinner instead Today:  what a difference a day makes!!  23 degrees, 16mph wind, feels like 8 degrees!!!! Couldn't wait to run!!! Partly sunny, snow-packed road with some pretty scary icy patches.  Snowplower was opposite side of road and it left sheet like icy surface on the paved road so I just kept running back and forth on the dirt road which had some snow for traction.  Finished 4.1 miles. YIPPEE!  Headwind was pretty chilly, should have worn the thicker balaclava.  Backwind was pushing me too, had to slow down near icy patches to avoid slipping.  Wanted to go further but need to take it easy and slow for a few days before adding more mileage.  Patience ......bummer! 

Chantilly:  WOW!! just incredible training runs!!  WTG!!  glad you got over the sniffles

Deb:  foam roller is my bestie .  Great 3 mile tempo at 10k pace!! Hope the rest day helps the ITB and knee.  I prefer to write and send letters/cards to family and friends.  It's becoming a lost art but I make the time and enjoy it just as much as receiving them.

Fletch:  sending well wishes.  miss your positive posts.

Dan:  GREAT JOB on the 14+ miles and finishing in front of a donut shop is a great motivator, LOL!!

Ray:  always amazing! 50+ miles for the week, YAY!! A recovery day is just as important. When is your next race?

adkkev:  isn't it exhilarating to be outside?!?  As trail runners say "it's just a hill, get over it!"  WTG!!

Rich:  11 days of serious activity, awesome!!  Hope you enjoyed your day off!

rmcj001

Az - definitely good to get a run in!  Next race should be Quarry Lakes 10K (zoom running event) - oh, and I'll rest when I'm dead   Ok, not that long, but soon.

Debra - Hope the roller helped.  Tempo run sounds...well, like work.  Should help.

Chantilly - Too much cross training.  Nice recovery run.  Work mates are much slower and can't go far yet and 25-30 years younger - kids these days...

Dan - You need to be more friendly to the foam roller - it's only trying to help.  Hanson method recommends only 20-33% of weekly mileage be done on the long run.  That would mean your mileage for this week should be somewhere in between 44 and 72 miles   Glad you were able to get it in outside.

Long run for the week for me today.  11 miles in 1:30:58 only about 70F today  that's not a tear, it's the sweat pouring off my head. Speaking of sweat, got embarrassing salt deposits all over my shorts - getting old sucks!

Ray

adkkev

5 miles on the Y treadmill this evening, followed by a half mile walking cool down.  The streets around my house were just a bit too icy this evening so I decided to head for the Y instead.  That's the trouble with warmer days and cold nights ... all that snowmelt freezes up on the streets.

Ray - nice 11 miler!  70 degrees??  We barely made it half way to that today!

Wishing everyone a nice weekend!!