50 and over 5k and beyond

March runs & workouts (Read 23 times)

Chantilly75

justrundan  It seems to be a bit harder transitioning from the treadmill to outside, but you got your LSD in! (The foam roller is your friend...

az2mntrail must be hard not to run as much after you had all those great runs in AZ.  It will warm up soon…..I hope...

Saw a little doggie wearing a green plaid jacket this morning in the snow…seemed to be having fun.

rmcj001 You have to show those young ones how to do it! Good on them for getting out the door.  Too easy for this generation to sit inside with their electronics.

50 MPW back to back should be keeping you in good shape.

adkkev better to run on the treadmill, than to chance the icy conditions.  Hope your weather makes up its mind soon.

9 miles. Triathlon group and a marathon group were there. Gave me some needed mental motivation seeing them.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Saturday, 3/8... 5 miles on the highway, 46 degrees and sunny, splits were high 8:00's.    I wanted 7 miles when I left the house, at 2 miles figured I'd better turn back at 3, at 2.5 miles, turned and headed for home instead.   My achilles is still on the mend and calling the shots, but at least I'm running...

Here's the 2011 Boston Marathon women's finish... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYrvIRe0zTc   What stands out to me is the condition of the race winner compared to Desi, the winner collapsed and had to be carried to the med. tent to be revived and Desi's standing there with her hands on her knees catching her breath.   A lousy 2 seconds...

Chantilly... I can't believe your snow AND your strong back, that stuff gets HEAVY!

gito... you're running a pretty aggressive training schedule.   You'll toughen up to it, but be careful about getting too sore.

az... your posts make me smile, always upbeat!  Keep up the good work!

Dan... excellent long run!  Who was it that said, "Everybody complains about the weather, but nobody does anything about it." ?

Ray... I'll trade the salt deposits on your shorts for the road salt on my truck....   Nice run you ol' phart...

adkkev... you're maintaining a solid base with the treadmill, something that's NOT easy...

justrundan

Ray, I hope that formula doesn't include walking distance. When DW got home from work Friday she wanted to go tor a walk, so I put another 3.2 mi on my legs!  Total 18 miles, but only 13.2 were running.  Yes, today was a rest day.    If I get a decent run tomorrow I may get to 35 for the week.

Rich- loved the video!  46 & sunny, wow that sounds nice.  We may hit 40 tomorrow.  take care of that Achilles!

Chantilly- nice 9 miles

Enjoy the warm weekend, mid-westerners!

Dan

Crazy Diamond

Chantilly-Fabulous mileage for you the past couple of days! Always inspiring getting motivation from those training around us.  on the snow.  It will come to an end, eventually.

Dan-Terrific LSD buddy!  You know you love that foam roller, don't you?  Mine is affectionately call "Helga", and I picture it as an East German shot putter turned masseuse.  "Vas is das tight ITB, fraulein?  Ach, vee need to vurk on dis!"

Ray-Awesome 11 miles.  70F degrees ... You know how to hurt the rest of us!

adkkev-Strong 5 miles.  Smart move to run it on the TM.  We don't want you to be slip sliding away!

Rich-Nice run.  Good thinking to adjust your mileage to guard your achilles. That was an exciting finish to Boston 2011.  Desi is amazing!

Friday, rest day.  Saturday was a beautiful  6 mile run on the asphalt bike path.  Around 25F w/ NE 15 mph wind.  A few icy patches, but great to be outdoors.  The path will need some patching due to the deep frost causing dips and cracking on the surface.  Today ran 13 miles LSD, walked 1 mile at the indoor track.  Huge 'Team in Training' group running today preparing for June HM.  The coaches gave the runners a lot of individual attention.  Many appeared to be beginners.  The HM is a tough one, a lot of concrete and very little shade.

Have a great week ahead. Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

NH Runner

Sunday, 3/9... 6 miles of XC Classic skiing.    No harm done from yesterday's run, but I'm paranoid from so many set-backs and playing it extra safe right now...

Dan... a well deserved day off.   You've done well base building over the winter...

gito... your timing for taking Friday off was perfect.   And 2 nice days of training since, you're going to nail your next race!

I checked and the last time an American woman won Boston was in 1985.   It's even worse for men, 1983.   Desi was 2 seconds from instant Celebrity and all the endorsements that entails in 2011and I can't wait to see how she does next month.   Sadly, there isn't an American contender in the men's race this year.

Nana_

Hi Everyone, I'm new

:-)

Nice to see a group of Age-mates here.

I'm doing a beginner 32 weeks to HM,  just starting out.

Do ya'll have room for another here?

justrundan

Jo, welcome!  There's always room, us "middle-aged" runners have to stick together.  This group has great folks who can answer questions or point you in the right direction.  What HM are you doing?  Good luck with the training.

Rich- those skis are keeping you in shape.  Way to go.

Debra- nice LSD lady.  You are super consistent this winter!  Keep it up.

5 miles this afternoon, my legs were still feeling the long time on my feet Friday!    And the wind was wicked out of the southwest.  When I was going into it I really felt the work increase.  Here's hoping the relay in April has a nice SW breeze as we head from Oshkosh to Green Bay; it would be nice to have a push along the way!

Have a great week friends.

Dan

rmcj001

adkkdev - way to get the run in.  Better weather coming soon?

Chantilly - Racking the miles up.  Does help to have others around.

Rich - Liked the video.  Better to be safe then sorry with the achilles.  Good to hear you're running and keeping busy.  No set backs.

Dan - Good that you're keeping it up.  Keep the mileage up, that relay will be a breeze and you'll be getting more PRs soon.

Debra - Your training well.  Race this Saturday?  Gotta be looking good.

Jo - Welcome.  Us old people gotta stick together.

Saturday, 3/8, 7.7 miles 67:08 recovery run.  Sunday, 3/9,  7 mile 57:34.  Finished week with 57.3 miles.  Should be a cut back week, now I just need to figure out how much...

Ray

Fletch

Hey, missed you guys!!!  Thanks for all the well-wishes.  I am feeling much better now.  I have a pretty high threshold for pain, but I'm a wimp when it comes to the common cold.   I felt better Thursday, but the weather was horrible...mid 30's and pouring rain (we got about 3 inches of rain Thursday/Friday).  Without the cold symptoms, I probably would have run, even in that weather.  And with the cold symptoms, I would have run if the weather had been better.  But with a persistent cough and stuffy head, I was not going to run in a 36 degree downpour.  Call me a slacker.

So the cold kept me in Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday morning (at least got in some resistance band work on Thursday). Friday evening, dinner plans kept me from running.  And Saturday was a day DW and I had circled on our calendar for a while.  We spent the entire day with our 2 year old granddaughter.  Took her to see a play in Charlotte.  I missed running, but nothing could take the place of seeing her wide-eyed fascination as she sat mesmerized by  "Petite Rouge," the very creative Cajun adaptation of "Little Red Riding Hood." It was a great day!

Sunday...FINALLY got out for a run. 4.3 miles.  Had hoped for a longer one, but the time off left me with some heavy legs.  Hoping to get a few more runs in before the 5k this Saturday.  Realistic expectations for this one, given the setback last week.  I'm running it with some friends, and plan to really just enjoy the run.  May even forego the gps completely and do like Ray suggested...just treat it like another Gump run.

Ray - Impressive mileage!  We appreciate you "representing" the age group so well with the "young-uns" at work.

Dan - Sounds like a great weekend...nice walk with DW, rest day, 5 mile run.  Are you settled into your new work location?

Rich - Not paranoid...SMART!  Keep playing it safe, and you can keep playing.  Enjoyed the video.  Being new to running, I am just now becoming familiar with many of these names.  Desi looks like a fun one to watch.

Debra - Great week!  I know it's only been a couple weeks, but how do you like the new HM training plan?  And how was DS2's HS musical?

Chantilly - With the mileage you are doing, I can see how you're the one constant at the track.  Maybe they should name it after you...or at least give you your own lane!

adkkev - Glad you're able to get out, at least occasionally.  I guess that's the "good news, bad news" situation you are all in this time of year.  Good news...it was warm enough yesterday to start melting the snow.  Bad news...it was cold enough last night to freeze the snowmelt.

Az - Glad you're getting out some, too.  Be careful.  I know what you mean..."patience.....bummer!"  But - "fall on the ice....more bummer!!"

Jo - Welcome!!  I think you'll find this to be a very helpful group.  I just joined the group in December (just started running in September), and I can honestly say that the interaction with this group has done more to keep me motivated than anything else.  They are all helpful and encouraging.  Glad to have you join us.  I hope your training goes well, and we'll look forward to you sharing the progress with us here.

Sorry for such a long post...like I said...missed you guys!  Have a great week.

adkkev

No runs for me over this past weekend ... we worked on our room renovations Sat & Sun (took a bedroom & divided it into two rooms, one a walk in closet from our bedroom, the other a 'dressing room' - 90+ yr old homes just weren't designed with much in the way of closet space, etc.), installing closet organizer & flooring.  Plus we picked up several pieces of furniture for the house, an antique desk that my wife will use as a dressing table & a couple pieces of unfinshed furniture that she's staining right now.  Home Depot loves us.  As does the unfinished wood furniture store.

Hope to get a run in this evening, maybe even outside since it's "warmer" than it's been lately!!

And now the forecast is calling for 'substantial' snowfall on Wednesday into Thursday.  So, Ray, I'm not sure that "better weather" is coming very soon!!

So, welcome to Jo ... best wishes on your training for the HM!!

Fletch - great to see you're getting back on track.

Nana_

Thanks for the warm welcomes. Glad I found a group of great folks here

Monday

:15 mins

R :20  W:40

I'm doing that  Galloway 5K beginner training plan (kinda sorta, my log is open)

Dan - good 5 you did. I hope your wind goes in your favor next time

Ray - great mileage, I always like me a cutback week (and rest days)

Fletch - wise to stay on the bench with cold symptoms. great time with the granddaughter. I'd trade a run-day anytime for same. Glad you got out Saturday. have fun on race day. I'm here to keep this-beginner accountable; seems like a great group here.

adkkev - thanks for sharing about your room reno. Gonna like that when it's done. Hope your "warmer" weather appears.

Hello to everyone else, see you tomorrow morning

NH Runner

Monday, 3/10... 7 miles of skate skiing today.   Nothing exciting except the LACK of snowmobilers, sometimes it's nice just to have a little peace and quiet...

Jo... welcome aboard!   This is the start of an exciting journey for you, becoming a runner is fun, rewarding and exciting, not to mention GOOD for you...   Glad you found us!

adkkev... sounds like we've both got the same "better weather" forecast, 6 to 12 inches for us...  I've done the remodeling routine also, it's frustrating, but rewarding when you're done.

Fletch... you might not feel 100% yet, but those few days off haven't hurt your fitness.   Grandkids are special aren't they?   Little brats steal your heart...

Ray... strong as ever.  A cut-back week's supposed to be 70% of weekly mileage right?   Same intensity, just less mileage.

Dan... maybe you need to design a running shirt with a sail built into it.   A helping wind?  Run it up and take full advantage... lol  I'll buy one, but it has to be tech material...

Chantilly75

NH Runner Yeah, that was quite the finish.. If the race was only a few hundred feet longer, it would have been Desi's win.  Did you read that Ryan Hall will be there?  Another one I like to watch.  He doesn't get enough respect for his 2:04 at Boston. People complain about Ryan's 2:04 and say that Boston isn't an official record, then go on and on about  Beardsley and Salazar at 2:08 and Bill Rodgers at 2:09.  So I hope that Ryan does well there.

Is your trail starting to melt?

justrundan walking is still 'time on your feet" so it counts.  35 MPW is a nice number.

gito57  2 good runs there….your bike path must be melted off, then.  The prairies are having quite a bit of melting, with the strong sun and longer days.

Jo_  welcome to the forum!  The Galloway method is good for beginners and should bring you along quite well for your HM in Oct.

rmcj001  still keeping your speed up..Are you still doing that challenge online? (forget the name)

Fletch_NC it's not wimpy to rest with a cold.  It would not have helped your fitness, to try to force out some runs when sick. It may have caused your "cold" to hang around longer, you will be fine this weekend, you have some solid training under your belt, that a few days off can't take away.

adkkev You and your wife are really doing quite a bit of renovating there.

Did you know that 100 years ago, people really didn't have much for bedroom closets, they had a wardrobe,  which is like a huge dresser, only it was for hanging up clothes. My grandma and her family still had these in the old farmhouses when I was little and we would hide in them.

8 miles on the track.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Hi there JO!! Great to have you join us!! I subscribe to the Galloway philosophy which has kept me running for years.  I modify it according to my fitness level but I keep those 'walk breaks' in my training runs and races.  Looking forward to your sharing of your training for the HM, exciting!!

Rich:  thanks for sharing the video, I watched that race and jumping up and down to the end!!  She ran for AZ state in her collegiate yrs and was always tough to beat!! "Peace and quiet" ..........love those on my trail runs!!  You've really has some cross-training days all winter, doing good!!

Fletch:  good to have you back!!  Those 'rest days' can be a positive prior to races so I know you will do great on the upcoming 5k!!

Everyone else seems to be doing awesome, staying healthy and consistent, WTG!!

DH and I returned from our wknd getaway to Minneapolis Sunday night, and he flew out early this morning for DC, a week long business trip.  Nice temps there too .......just like here in northern MN!! my oh my!!  I couldn't wait to finally run on the dirt portion of the frontage road!! The wknd sunny days melted most of the snow on the paved road; the dirt road in my neighborhood was too muddy/slushy so I stuck with the "dirt road" on the shoulder, YIPPEE!!  Partly sunny day, 41 degrees!!! Unbelievable!! But 18mph headwind for most of my 'TRAIL' run irritated my throat, felt like 30 degrees, still incredible!! Finished 4.5 miles, nice and slow, YES!!  Then headed to my new Monday routine of Zumba class which I signed up for till April 7th, plus a strength/weight class on Tuesdays starting on the 25th. SPRING IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER!! YAY!!

Fletch

adkkev - Hope you were able to get out in the warmer weather.  Looks like you're getting another blast...hopefully we're reaching the point where the severity, and frequency, will dwindle.  I can relate to the renovation job.  DW and I purchased and renovated (still renovating...it's never completed) a Sears catalog home, originally built in 1926.  No Home Depot in our area, but the Lowe's people know us by name.  Love the character in those old homes.

Jo - Nice run Monday.  Like Az, I frequently take walk breaks on training runs, and even in races, if needed.  I really started to enjoy running more, when I stopped worrying about the walk breaks.

Rich - Good day on the skis.  How far into the spring does the snow typically hang around (enough to ski)?

Chantilly - Nice track work.  And yes, as hard as it was to NOT run with the cold symptoms, I know it was better for me in the long run.  I feel pretty good about the race this weekend.

Az - Way to tough out the cold wind. I know you're looking forward to the warmer weather.  And with the Zumba and weight work, you'll really be in good shape for Spring!

No running on Monday, but DW and I took the dogs on a 2 mile walk.  Followed that up with some ground prep work in my small garden.  I know those of you still covered in snow hate to hear it, but we're planting lettuce and potatoes this week!  Wrapped up with some resistance band work in the evening.  Ran 3.2 miles this morning, with a few striders thrown in at the end.

Stay safe, everyone.