50 and over 5k and beyond

March runs & workouts (Read 23 times)

Chantilly75

adkkev ice is not nice, rather have snow. I agree this guy is probably going to hike up a mountain.  He doesn't look like a runner or military.

NH Runner staying safe on the treadmill is a good idea.

rmcj001 I'm sure that co-worker will get faster with you coaching him.  ..3 turtles.…interesting.I've only got 2 snow shoe rabbits starting to turn color.

Fletch_NC Good luck on your race!  Is it a bit early for such severe thunderstorms?

The guy with the backpack doesn't look military, but maybe in some capacity?

stationary bike 12 minutes

ran 1/2 mile

bike 10 minutes

ran 1/2 mile.

Quads feel stronger, able to keep 90-100 cadence with one point heavier resistance now.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Yesterday was rest day.  But today:  Felt like running with 'face palm' ..........the wind was a bugger, about 20mph, chilly off the snowbanks, about 21 degrees, felt like 10.  But I toughed it out with a 5.25 miles in 54 minutes, WHEW!!  A few snow flurries this morning but it turned out to be mostly a sunny day with a few clouds.  Head wind was pretty strong for most of those miles making my breathing a challenge.  I need to find some hills, I'm getting bored running on flat terrain but the x-country ski trails and the Movil Maze mtn bike trail are still snow-packed, slushy, and muddy.

Have a safe and fun weekend of running everyone!!

Fletch:  GOOD LUCK on your 5K tomorrow!! Just run your run and have fun!!

NH Runner

Friday, 3/14... 4 miles of classic xc skiing today.  A few snowmachines went through on the trail while our weather was above freezing and now the rough conditions they left behind have frozen solid.   I stayed to the side, picked my way along and managed to get a decent workout.

And I got an e-mail from the Race Director of a local 5K that's supposed to run tomorrow, explaining they've re-scheduled the race for the 22nd due to the amount of snow still on the roads.   They're concerned about runner's safety dealing with vehicles.   Smart move!

az... nice run today!

Chantilly... you're getting stronger!   That increased cadence says a lot about your training.

Fletch... I'll echo everyone else and wish you good luck in this weekend's 5K.

ray... jealous of your turtle sightings and your weather.   Talked to my buddy today who's in the Maple Syrup business and he tells me this is the latest he's ever seen it where the sap still isn't running.

adkkev

6 miles on the treadmill @ the Y followed by a half mile walking cool down.  Streets around town are just a bit too treacherous with snow & ice in many spots ... and it was warm & sunny enough to melt some snow which runs down the street & freezes once the sun goes down.

Chantilly - maybe that guy was training to climb something like this ... this is my son & I just before climbing up & over the Chilkoot Pass in Alaska - the pass is the middle notch in that ridgeline.  2005 & I hadn't started running yet (that started in 2010).

rmcj001

Chantilly - Improvement, that's good!  Nice cross training!  I think the turtles are former pets, they're just bigger...Snowshoe rabbits?  That would be fun to see!

Az2mntrail - Unfortunately, we all have to work with what we have :-(  Not sure what a good substitute would be where you are, but find it.  I know the TM isn't that great, but you can do hill work on them - not pretty, but it can work.  Stay positive.  At least you're getting to run outside!

Rich - You weather sounds bad.  Sorry.  But, you gotta like the workout.  On the race, better to be safe then sorry.

adkkev - The scenery in the pic is awesome.  I assume you're much smaller now  and you're son looks nice, but what's going on with his leg? 

Fletch - Hope your race went well today!  Looking forward to your RR.

Friday, 3/14 (Pi Day), 5.5 miles in 48:23 to keep the legs loose and allow them to rest up a bit.

Saturday, 3/15, had 10K this morning.  Haven't been sleeping well, but forced myself to go to bed early (11:15PM).  Woke up an hour early and tried to go back to sleep must have dozed a little.  Alarm went off and got ready sort of slowly, felt awake, but tired.  Ate a bowl of oatmeal and chia (1/2 my normal amount), then dressed and headed to the race.  Grabbed my number and tried to warm up.  Temps at this point were mid 50's.  Heard them call the 1/2 marathoners and decided to do a bathroom break.  Tried to warm up some more as they called the 5Kers over.  They then called the 10Ker over to start and chatted with a high school kid (he looked older to me) and asked him what his goal was, he was shooting for 40 minutes.  He asked me the same and I said 47 maybe 46 minutes.  We went to the start and when they said go, he shot out like a rocket.  I realized I was going too fast in the first 1/4 mile and tried to slow down a bit.  Got passed by several people.  Legs felt, not dead, but not really springing.  Heard the watch beep at mile 1 and made sure I didn't look at it.  I could hear foot steps behind me and at about 1.5 or so the young woman finally passed me.  Didn't try to stay with her, just figured I need to run my race.  Over the next mile she methodically pulled away ever so slightly and we both caught the next two runners. Some time after mile 2 the leaders are coming back already, the kid I was talking to looks fresh and is ahead of a guy who normally runs around 36-37 minutes.  I yell encouragement as they go by.  The turn around is at just shy of 3 miles and as I'm approaching I can hear someone coming up.  As I hit the turn around I get to see him and he's close, tall and thin looks like a good runner.  I expect him to pass me, but he doesn't.  Over the next mile and half I can see his shadow and hear him.  Then I'm slowly pulling away.  I can just see the young lady who passed me up ahead and I'm by myself.  I look at my watch and I'm running a pretty good race and with a little less then a mile to go I realize I have a real shot at a PR.  I'm also very tired.  This race finishes on a slight uphill that twist and turns.  As I hit the last section, I realize I don't have my usual sprint, but I'm trying.  The last 50 yards it flattens out a bit and I'm picking up my legs trying to lengthen my stride.  Stopped my watch as I crossed the line and it says 45:32!  A new over 50 PR for me!  My estimate on the first 5K is 22:47 and second 5k 22:45 - so, pretty even.  Oh, the high school kid won the race in 36 and change.  The young woman ran a 44:59.

Ray

NH Runner

Saturday, 3/15... 2 mile early run on the treadmill followed by another 4 miles later in the day.   I'm working on form, trying to figure out what's causing my achilles to bother so much and think I've found something.  We'll see...

adkkev... nice picture!   And nice run on the treadmill.    That's quite a climb up through the notch, definitely not flat!

ray... you must be really happy with the way you're running lately, you've been making steady progress for quite a while now.   Loved the race report, congrats. on the PR!

Chantilly... my son left this morning headed for Georgia and the start of the Appalachian trail.   I think a lot of people start this time of year...

justrundan

Wow, almost a week since I posted!   I ran outside Monday and not again until today.  This was the week we moved to the different office building, so went in early and left late most days, packing stuff and catching up on charting on the computer so I wouldn't be way behind as the moved slowed me down.  In @ 5:30 W&Th, just could sleep past 4:30 both days, felt the stress of leaving the building my partner and I helped build (figuratively) 29 years ago.  Friday awake at 4, so I studied for the ACLS recertification I had that day.  I'm glad I wasn't there for most of the move.  By the time I got back from the course they had most of the stuff over in the new office, so I spent several hours trying to arrange things, or get started anyway.  DW picked me up and we went out to eat at a local diner, and I had some coconut cream pie for Pi Day!  That's the only way I get it, DW hates coconut in any form! 

Today I ran 8 miles on the riverwalk, the last 2 doing 1/4 mile intervals, with 1/4 mile walk/jog recovery.  Overall felt good. Than back to the 'new' office to really get things put away and get ready for Monday morning!

AZ- way to tough it out in the wind.  It really cuts through the layers when it's cold! 

adkkev- love the hiking picture!

Ray- Great race, nice RR!  I can only dream of that speed!  Too bad you can't take my place in the relay next month. 

Rich- working on form sounds like a good plan.  Is there a running store near you where they analyze gait and form?  If it doesn't get better, maybe even a sports medicine clinic that works with runners?

Have a great rest of the weekend!

Dan

Fletch

Chantilly - You're really consistent with the workouts.  When the weather is nicer there, will you switch from the stationary bike to riding outside?  RE: thunderstorms - not too uncommon this time of year, when we get a stretch of warmer weather.

Az - Way to keep toughing it out in the cold.  Hope you see some better weather soon.

Rich - nice ski run Friday.  Hope the Achilles continues to improve. UPDATE:  hopeful for you...maybe you found something!

adkkev - Now THAT looks like a place I'd love to go hiking.  Beautiful!  Thanks for the pic.  Hope your thaw comes soon, but in the meantime, nice work on the TM.

Ray - great race report!  Congrats on the PR!  Sounds like it was a fun race.  I'm really jealous of your consistent pacing.  I hope that comes with time...I'm still new at this, but it's hard for me to stay consistent over more than a couple miles.  These high school kids amaze me (see RR below).

Ran the Shamrock and Roll 5k in the little Village of Whispering Pines this morning.  My third race, so I wasn't so nervous.,..slept better than before the other two.  Got up, showered (DW says I'm crazy to shower, then go get sweaty running, but it helps loosen me up), ate my power bar with a cup of coffee, and headed up to the race.  Met up with a police officer friend, who also does some work with us at the radio station.  He runs triathlons, but had agreed to run this 5k with me, and with his police dispatcher, who just started running in January (today was his first race).  The three of us jogged around warming up before heading to the start.  I had been debating all week about whether to run with the gps, trying to pace myself better, or just take Ray's advice and try to treat it like a Gump run.  At the last minute, I ditched the gps, along with the headphones and music.  At the horn, as usual, it was a cluster of elbows and knees.  Luckily, the village closes the roads for the race, so we had a wide path, and things mellowed out quickly.  My police officer friend (Sarge) jumped out pretty quick, and I settled in about fifty feet behind him.  Lost the dispatcher somewhere before the half mile point.  At mile one, I felt pretty fresh, but resisted the urge to pick up the pace too much.  It was a pretty flat course, but I knew there was a hill coming up just after the 2 mile mark.  At the water station (about 1.5 miles), I slowed to a walk, grabbed a cup, drank it, then continued walking for about another 30-45 seconds.  That allowed me to pick up the pace a little.  Was starting to tire a little just past mile 2, but stayed with it until we came out of the last turn and headed down the last 1/3 mile straightaway to the finish.  Took a short walk break, then tried to kick it up a notch to finish.  When the finish arch came into view, I saw 26:?? on the timer.  That helped me find one last kick.  Crossed in 26:54, a new PR (1:30 faster than the race 3 weeks ago)!  I went in hoping for something in the 27's, so needless to say, I'm pleased.   Finished 10 seconds behind Sarge, and he and I caught our breath, grabbed a water, and headed back out to finish the last little bit with the dispatcher.  He was struggling a little, but seemed to pick it up when he had us there with him.  He finished in 38:??  18 yo high school kid won in 17:23.  The 13 yo who won the race three weeks ago, finished third in 18:24.  Dang, these kids are FAST!

Was a fun day!  Ray - thanks for the suggestion.  I don't know that I'll run them all this way, but treating this one like a Gump run, with several hundred friends, worked out well!  Next up (on a short turnaround) is the Discovery Place Kids First Annual Fun Run 5k...in two weeks!

Fletch

Dan - sorry - I was typing my post, when you posted.  Nice run on the riverwalk.  Glad you're able to get outside some now.  I know it's tough leaving the old building.  I'm sure there are lots of memories there.  Hope things work out well in the new location.  And I'm with you on the coconut pie.  DW is a fantastic cook and baker.  Makes some amazing cakes, pies and cookies.  But she hates coconut, and will not cook with it.   So it's off to the diner when I have that craving.

NH Runner

Sunday, 3/16... 4 mile treadmill run again, working on form to keep my achilles healthy.   I took the pace to 7 mph late in the run and everything seemed ok, so I'm going to try running outside tomorrow.   I wonder if there's a way to check the accuracy of a treadmill's indicated speed, the effort to run a given pace is a LOT harder than it is running outside...

dan... you got in a nice 8 miler with a few sprints thrown in, good for you!   And good luck in the new office, 29 years is a long time, but tomorrow you start making new memories.   And no, there's no-one locally to analyze my form.   I'm pretty sure I know what I've been doing wrong, but tomorrow will be the real test.

Fletch... congrats on another PR!   I think there were predictions on here that you'd go under 25 minutes in a 5K, now I think you're going even lower!   Enjoyed your race report, that 13 y.o. has a LOT of potential!

adkkev

Ray & Fletch - nice running and congrats on your PRs!!

Rich - is your son hiking the whole trail or is he section hiking?  Considering the start date I'm figuring he's going for the whole deal at once.  Good luck to him!!

5.6 windy miles today around town while the sun was still shining ... wind chill of 10 degrees.  Streets had some wet spots and the few icy spots were easily avoided.

justrundan

Fletch- great race and nice RR.  You are really improving quickly.  Keep up the steady workouts.

adkkev- nice chllly run around town, kind of like it was here! 

Rich- good luck with the outside run tomorrow.

4.6 easy miles on the township roads near our home.  24 degrees, but when running into the east wind it felt like 8, and my face agrees with the weatherman!

Have a great week!

Dan

Chantilly75

adkkev I like your photo.  Looks like quite the climb. Pretty rocky, too. You used some hiking poles there?

rmcj001 'way to go on your latest PB!  Still had enough to push at the end. Enjoyed your RR. Nice to also hear how you perceived the others doing around you.

NH Runner 7 MPH on the treadmill is a good pace.  I have always felt that the treadmill is easier than running outside, no wind, cars, weather, curbs, ruts, etc. Hope the achilles likes outside.

justrundan hope you like the new office.  Love coconut cream pie, myself, but only have it about once a year because no one else in my house likes it.

Fletch_NC Congratulations on your race!  A great improvement with the sub-optimal weather conditions for training. (and a cold)

rest/work yesterday.

7 miles today.

Got motivated by adkkev's home improvements and started to strip kitchen wallpaper this morning.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

This is a perfect example of what I need to avoid, when you're running correctly, you drive with your hips, not pushing off the way this guy's doing.   And look at the straight legged heel strikers in the background.   Comments?

justrundan

Interesting question Rich.  Does the best form include both hip drive and somepushing off with the calf/foot?  I certainly don't know.  Ray, you're the speedy guy, what are your thoughts?

The fellow with the backward cap appears to be leaning back, heel striking and looks like he is braking!

I've wondered what I would look like if I had 15 pictures from different spots in a HM, as I fatigued, how would it change.  Afraid to see it!

During my run this morning I was trying to concentrate on keeping my head up and shoulders back; I tend to look right in front of me, not 100-200 yds ahead, or more.

Easy 4 miles this morning.  An advantage of getting out early- I can run down the middle of these rural roads and avoid the camber on the edge about 95% of the time.  Saw 3 vehicles in the 4 miles that forced me to the side of the road. 

Get those brackets filled out folks!

Dan