50 and over 5k and beyond

March runs & workouts (Read 23 times)

Crazy Diamond

Rich~Be careful out there with those crazy drivers!   Nice to be outdoors for your 7 miles and down 1#, too.  That's great!  Between meals is my challenge, too  -  I LOVE Lay's Classic potato chips! During the winter months I just don't get enough veggies in my diet.  So I slice up an assortment of raw veggies and grape tomatoes, sprinkle with a little Parmigiano-Regiano cheese for a nutty, salty kick.  Satisfies the crispy, salty craving with the added nutritional benefit of the veggies.  Occasionally do the same thing with air-popped corn with a few raw almonds thrown in.  Always carry a small bag of raw almonds in my pocket on work days for a quick, easy snack.

Today, sunny, but the wind made it feel like 15F.   Back on training schedule with 12 slow miles at the indoor track.  Lots of marathon training going on there.  Boston, perhaps?  At home, picked up sticks off the lawn and propped open the cold-frame that was previously buried under snow.  Dreaming of fresh picked greens and early peas.

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

Sat. snowpacked road photo GOPR1184_zps3e05cc8b.jpg 

SAT. snow packed

Sun: beautiful sunny day to run! photo GOPR1230_zps9092bcad.jpg    

SUN: beautiful day

Couldn't resist getting another run in.  'Warmer temps' around 15 degrees, 8mph wind, felt like 8 degrees, YAY!!

Finished 6.5 miles, 1 minute walk break after each 2 miles for a photo op.  Snowplow went through before my run.  Stayed around the neighborhood dirt road for snow traction but cautious around the icy patches. Slight wind so used the trees for wind break.  Just a gorgeous SUNNY day, felt awesome!!

Deb:  CONGRATS on the PR!! WOOHOO!!    I knew you were saving it for the last race of the series!! What's next?

Rich:  Been lucky so far RE:  drivers.  Neighbors know me now so they always slow down and wave to me when they see me running.  I run around the neighborhood so they get use to me running since I seem to be the only die-hard winter runner, now that's crazy!!! LOL!!  I buy cut-up butternut squash packs and saute them with a little butter; in separate small saucepan/microwave bowl, mix sweet spices with a little butter and add to squash after they soften. You can sprinkle in nuts if you want.  It's a 'healthier' version of a 'dessert' and filling.  I love sugar snap peas from the bag, very filling; DH dips them in lite ranch sometimes.  Deb has delicious ideas!!

Fletch

Deb - Congrats on the PR!  Just a matter of time for the sub 60 minute 10k.  Not much need for the cold frames here.  We're actually warm enough to plant in the ground.  DW and I planted lettuce, spinach and potatoes last weekend.  Had to cover them tonight, though.  Calling for lows in the high 20's.  They should be ok if we keep the frost off.  We're more worried about the local strawberry and peach farmers.

Rich - nice string of days with good runs.  Sounds like the Achilles is cooperating.

adkkev - 6.1 - good run.  +1 on the princess.  Got one (along with her little brother, the prince) who just makes my day.

Az - Nice snow run!

Chantilly - Nice 12 mile workout.  I'm so-so on the Moody Blues, but a big Pink Floyd fan.

Dan - Nice early morning runs.  I like running under the moon, too, and watching the sun rise while I'm on the run.

Ray - 7.2 and 7.5 - good work.  Great pace!

Babysitting duty with the grandkids on Thursday, but made it out Friday after work for 4 miles around town.  Spent all day Saturday refurbishing and painting porch furniture. I've been wanting to bump up my weekly miles, and my long run miles.  Decided to try a structured run/walk today.  Warmed up for 5 minutes, then went through sets of 5 minutes running, 1 minute walking.  A few times, when a particularly nasty hill would pop up in the run part, I was tempted to add a walk break.  And several times, at the end of a 5 minute run, I felt fresh enough to continue running.  But I resisted both, and stuck to the 5/1 minute plan.  It helped my consistency, and I was able to fiinish 10 miles (my longest so far), combination road and trail, in 1:45. Rest day tomorrow.

Have a great week, everyone!

rmcj001

Debra - Another PR!  Yes!  Sub 60 will happen soon.

AZ - Liked the pics, we don't get the white stuff here too often.  Way to get the run in.

Rich - Slow and steady is way to build.  Keep it up!

Chantilly - Enjoy your rest day!

adkkev - Enjoy your time with the GD.

Fletch - nice job, won't be long until you're doing those 1/2 marathons!

Friday, 3/21, 11 miles in 1:29:37, was one of those days where things just felt light and easy.   Saturday, 3/22, DW and I went for a run, she's just getting back after an injury, so not too fast.  We separated around mile 5, I did 7 in 62:25.  DW did about 6.2 in about same amount of time.  Sunday, 3/23, 12 miles in 1:47:41 and another 2.8 walking rest of way home.  Dish run so lots of hills.  Good week, finished with 60 miles (new high for me ).

Ray

NH Runner

Monday, 3/24... 4 mile treadmill workout today.   Warmed for 1.5 miles, then ran 60 seconds at 4 mph followed by 60 seconds at 7.5 mph.  Alternated between the 2 speeds for 1.5 miles, then a 1 mile cool down.   I tried going quicker with the sprints, but my achilles started talking to me and I thought I'd better listen.   I'm happy to be getting these workouts in, I've got a LOT of work to do...

gito & az... thanks for the snack ideas, good stuff!    I read the other day that eating just carbs isn't as good as eating carbs with a little protein added in.   One suggestion was celery stalks with natural peanut butter and another was whole wheat crackers with a little tuna fish.  I split the difference yesterday and ate natural peanut butter on whole wheat crackers and it worked great.   I already mentioned it's the in-between-meal snacks where I get in trouble and I guess protein is harder to digest than carbs, so stays with you longer.    For someone trying to lose a few pounds, it's good stuff to know.

gito... nicely done on the 12 miler and so soon after your race.   You're in good shape!

az... nice run!  I enjoyed the pictures and can see where you'd have trouble with slippery footing.  You do well to run in the stuff...

Fletch... that 10 miler is great for your fitness and I like the way you broke it up.   The next one will be easier...

ray... 60 miles!! I love the way it feels to be in the kind of shape that on any given day you can step out your door and take off on a 20 mile run.    You're either there, or very close.   And running really well!   Good for you!

justrundan

Debra- great job on the 10K, then 12 mi the following.  You are going to bring Sven's bluff to his Swedish knees!  That hill is all yours! 

AZ- Wow, that snow just won't quit will it!  Good for you for getting out there.

Ray- 60 miles!  Great job!

Fletch- Nice 10 miles.  I used the McMillan run/walk a lot the first 2 years, and still use it some.   Allows me to use a little more speed on an 'easy run' since I get the walk every so often.

Rich- good job on the TM.  Good thing to listen when your Achilles starts talking to you.

3.8 in the dark this morning, 4.8 yesterday in a brisk wind.  felt like single digits!  Really had to force myself outside this morning.  Since Tuesday morning is supposed to be colder, I'll take tomorrow off along with my usual Wednesday, and try to hit it hard Thursday.  Hopefully 2 days off will help my attitude.    If it doesn't the 50's by this weekend should!

Have a great week friends.

Dan

Fletch

Ray - Love those runs where everything feels "light and easy!" So glad to hear DW is able to start running with you again.

Rich - nice work on the TM.  Smart to listen when mighty Achilles speaks!

Dan - nice work, especially on days that you had to force it.  Hope you get the 50's this weekend.

3.25 miles, with striders, this morning, as the sun was rising.  39 degrees.

Run safe.

rmcj001

Rich - I'm sorry that your achilles is talking to you, but glad that you're listening!  I know how hard it can be to listen...Still, it's good that you still running!

Dan - I'm not a morning person, so to me it is impressive that you can get up so early to get the runs in!  You guys are going to kill the relay!

Fletch - Gotta enjoy those special days when the present themselves   Sounds like you had a good workout today!

Monday, 3/24, 7 miles in 1:04:45.  It was a recovery run and I was running with a work mate who took 10 days off for first 2.25 miles.  It was a little warm yesterday, but hopefully the forecasters will be correct and we'll see some rain tonight...

Ray

NH Runner

Tuesday, 3/25... 6 mile road run today with a decent hill in the third mile, pace was mid 9:00's.   Anyone who's watched the Weather Channel lately knows we dodged a major snowstorm in Northern New England tonight and tomorrow, the biggest Nor' easter of the season is passing South of us, then heading out to sea.   Yayyy!

And after  5 days of running, I need a day off, so won't be here tomorrow.   I'm happy about THAT too! 

Nice runs guys...

adkkev

8 miles tonight as the sun set & the stars came out.  Crispy but thankfully no wind.  Looks like tomorrow will be a treadmill run since we'll be under high wind warnings (gusts to 50mph!).

Rich - happy to hear that the storm is passing you to the south & east!!

rmcj001

Rich - Enjoy the rest day.

adkkev - A lot less windy on the TM.

Tues, 3/25, 7.2 in 1:00:05 - nice warm sunny day.

Wed, 3/26, 7.3 in 1:04:01 - Cloudy stormy day   Got rained on for first mile, then mostly dry.

Ray

adkkev

5 on the treadmill this evening, 1/2 mile cool down walk afterwards.

Nice couple of runs Ray!!

Crazy Diamond

AZ~That's still A LOT of snow!  Good for you getting the miles in.  Sunshine makes everything better!

Fletch~Watching the grandkids sure didn't slow you down.  Nice work on the 10 miles.

Ray-WTG on the 60 mile week!  Hope DW continues to heal well.

Dan~Rest days work wonders, enjoy!  If the weather prediction for this weekend is correct, it's going to be sweet running!

adkkev~Your 8 mile sunset & starry sky run wounds wonderful.  Moving to the TM with those high winds was a wise move.

Monday, rest day.  DS2 on spring break so did some bummin' around. Haircuts, new running shoes for son (size 13 ), lunch and a movie.

Tuesday, 4 miles with DS2 on the bike path.  14F and wind was brutal in the open areas.  This winter won't soon be forgotten!

Wednesday, 8 miles at the indoor track.  Picked up to HM pace the final 2 miles.

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

Fletch

Deb - Nice, quality time with your son.  Good running, too.

adkkev - Hopefully, you're getting to a point where the star-lit runs far outnumber the forced TM runs.  Good job sticking with it through the bad weather.

Ray - Yay, rain!  Good runs.

Rich - Good string of running days.  Hope you had a nice, restful day.

3.4 miles this morning.  29 degrees.  Covered the newly planted lettuce and spinach with plastic, but I'm a little worried that it may have gotten too cold for them.  May end up pulling them up and re-planting.

Running in the Discovery Place Kids 5k Fun Run in Rockingham, NC this Saturday.  The radio station is a sponsor, and I have to be there representing the station, but they encouraged me to run as well.  And it doesn't take much arm-twisting to get me to enter a race.  This is the first year for this race.  Only about 100 runners registered so far.  The race starts at 10:00 am, which would normally lead to more "day-of" registrants.  However, the forecast is for thunderstorms this Saturday.    We'll see how it goes.

Safe running!

NH Runner

Thursday, 3/27... 5 miles with the middle 3 @ tempo.   I'm jumping in on a 16 week half marathon training program with just 10 weeks 'til my half, so am going to loosely follow the thing until I can catch up.   Today was supposed to be a 1 mile warm-up followed by 5 miles @ 8:28 pace followed by a 1 mile cool down.   I'm assuming the 8:28 is my tempo pace after giving my projected time in a 5K.   Anyway, I ran 8:27, 8:36 and 8:31 for the 3 quicker miles and the effort felt about right.    Next up is a 12 miler on Saturday @ 9:05 pace.  My achilles may have something to say about that one...

gito... we had wind gusts to almost 50 mph yesterday, I'm with you, this winter can't be over soon enough!   Nice time with your son and a couple of quality runs, good for you!

adkkev... you're logging some nice runs lately, is there a race you're preparing for?

Fletch... for an innaugural event, 100 pre-registrations isn't bad.   That's quite a job you've got, racing and getting paid at the same time...Good luck with the garden!

ray... got to love running in the rain, eh?  Saw on the news where California is trucking fingerling salmon from the hatchery right to the ocean due to conditions caused by your drought.   Most wouldn't survive being put into the streams due to the lack of water.