50 and over 5k and beyond

August 2015 runs and workouts (Read 11 times)

justrundan

4.5 on the trails, then drowning some worms trying to catch supper at Devil's Lake.   No grilled fish tonight! 

Decided to register for the fall Madison Half Marathon on 11/8.  I'm afraid if I don't have a goal in mind my training will remain as inconsistent as it has been the last month.  We will see.

You all have a great weekend.

Dan

NH Runner

Saturday, 8/1... legs were a little sore this morning, so I decided to experiment a little with a recovery day.    First up was a 2 mile easy walk / jog on the railtrail, followed later in the day with an 8 mile easy bike ride.    So easy in fact, I got passed by a couple riding a tandem bike...lol   Now we'll see how I feel tomorrow...

Dan... dog-gone fish anyway, eh? lol   I'm eyeing a couple of Fall half marathons, but will hold off a bit to make sure I'm actually running again before I commit...  

Art in AZ

10 miles this morning. Humid from the storm leaving the area. Supposed to dry out a little this week. Well no rain again here. Tempe to the West had 1.3", Apache Junction to the East had 1". Where I am at we got a couple of drops, winds and dust. Such is our monsoon season.

Dan - Bummer on the no fresh fish for dinner. So now the training starts again for the Madison Half. I'm still undecided where to go .

AZ - Hopefully the weather will cooperate and you can get in your Harley ride.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

justrundan Too bad about the fish.  Should be good racing in Madison, I think they are known for being a "running-friendly" city.

NH Runner ...but the tandem bike had 2 people peddling! no fair! 

I hope to be in sub 2:10 shape for the HM.

Art in Az 10 miles is a good run for being in the dryness and heat. Too bad your garden didn't get a little of the rain.

az2mntrail Nice to have salmon cooked like that. Hope it cools off a little for you. Is your T Bird like the one in American Graffiti?

adkkev Nice for you to sit outside, maybe you can run outside soon.

rmcj001 Hot at your place, also. Maybe too much sitting at the movies…it can be pretty cramped for leg space sometimes.

No run yesterday due to work, but did 1 hour yard work and some weights.

Ran 14 miles at 6 AM and walked over 2 miles listening to disco dance party mix.  Then did 1 hour of yard work.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Sunday, 8/2... 6 miles this morning, 1st mile warm-up on the railtrail in 12:00, then 5 miles on the road...9:27, 9:19, 9:18, 9:13 and 9:33.    Eased up the last mile, then had a go at sprinting the last 200 yards, but didn't set the world on fire...   Encountered 4 different women, but no men.    Two were running, 2 on bikes.     That's consistent with most of my outings, looks like women are more active in taking care of their health than men.    Seems that way anyway...

Art...10 miles is a good run in that humidity.   Not much of a monsoon though, eh...

Chantilly... funny you should say that about the tandem bikers, when they went by me I yelled, "Hey, you guys are cheating!" lol     Nice 14 miler, congrats!    Disco?   The Bee Gees!!  lol

Yesterday's experimental recovery worked ok, but not what I was hoping for.    I'll either take tomorrow completely off, or go for a walk...

Edited to add a little excerpt from an e-mail I got from my buddy in Miami, Fl. today.   The guy weighs 195, so that's part of it, but this is crazy...

"I can't tell you how hot it was, it was brutal.   I lost a full 7 pounds.   I weigh myself just before I run and immediately afterwards.    That's almost a gallon of sweat. lol     Man, the pool feels awesome after these workouts..."

Art in AZ

6 miles this morning running to the high school, doing 10 sets of up and down the bleachers and then continuing my route. Hot and humid. Went to Roadrunners Sports yesterday to use a gift card I got and take advantage of the sale they were having. Got a new pair of shoes, new socks and new hydration belt. Wanted something a little different in shoes so I got the Brooks Adrenaline GTS-15 in Kaleidoscope. Also a new Nathan 2-bottle belt. My old belt was kind of stretched out so it wasn't snug anymore and the bottle holders were the same way. This model has different bottle holders so I'll see how long it lasts.

Chantilly - 14 miles is a good run. It will be a while before I get a good 14 mile run in. At least one without a lot of walking and drink breaks. There is nothing in the garden right now. Well one basil bush. I did look at the planting calendar as it is getting close to starting again.

Rich - I vote for a walk. It seems if I have to take a day off I get antsy because I didn't get out. I agree with you on the breakdown of people exercising. I see more women than men here also. Even at events. Boy it would be nice having a pool. But this time of the year the water would be too warm to offer any relief.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Chantilly75

NH Runner Nice 6 miles on the trail. Are you still taking out the tryke? That's a lot of sweat for your friend.

Girls around here usually run in pairs. Guys run mostly by themselves.. But usually the TRI men are on their bikes in pairs, all dressed up like they are in the TDF. 

Art in AZ It must be hard to do the bleachers in the heat. Hope the shoes feel right.. Does the 2 bottle belt rub?  I used to have a 4 bottle and felt like it rubbed..I have been to the Runners' Den 3 or 4 times. It's quite a drive from Mesa, though. We used to stay near the Fiesta mall.

9 miles on the track because my foot was a bit sore from the pavement.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

NH Runner

Monday, 8/3... 3 mile walk on the railtrail this morning, the biting insects had a wonderful celebration at my expense...lol   I'll be taking it day to day for a bit, my sore leg's complaining after yesterday's pavement run...

Art... new shoes, new socks and a new hydration belt, eh?    Good luck with the new gear, just don't get pulled over by the cops for speeding...    Nice workout yesterday!

Chantilly... running on pavement has its drawbacks, doesn't it?   However, I do have an easier time relaxing when I run with solid footing under my feet.   Which brings me to the tryke.    The railtrail's so soft from the dry weather, I haven't been riding it lately.     Some sections are packed gravel, but others are like beach sand and the tryke bogs down in that stuff.    What I need, is someone to push me when I hit the soft stuff, but 'til I find someone, the tryke's just collecting dust...lol    Nice run yesterday!

adkkev

Weekend visiting Letchworth State Park in Western NY

Lower Falls

Middle Falls

Upper Falls

notice the freight train going over the trestle in the far background ... moving very very slowly!!

adkkev

Unique picnic tables at Letchworth ... built by the CCC in the thirties

adkkev

Upper falls, long distance

adkkev

from the top of the Upper Falls

adkkev

Followed some of the Seaway Trail on our return home, following the Lake Ontario shoreline.  Here are some sailboats out enjoying the gorgeous sailing weather ... viewed from Sodus Point

4.5 on the trails, then drowning some worms trying to catch supper at Devil's Lake.   No grilled fish tonight! 

Decided to register for the fall Madison Half Marathon on 11/8.  I'm afraid if I don't have a goal in mind my training will remain as inconsistent as it has been the last month.  We will see.

Dan:  bummer!! Maybe DW would have better luck?   From your recent trail race, your training shouldn't be too far off to be prepared for the Nov. HM.  Plenty of time to get more consistent runs.  So you decided not to run the Rails to Trails then which is a week prior to Madison.  I have to have a 'goal' as well to keep my training intact.

I hope to be in sub 2:10 shape for the HM.

az2mntrail Nice to have salmon cooked like that. Hope it cools off a little for you. Is your T Bird like the one in American Graffiti?

No run yesterday due to work, but did 1 hour yard work and some weights.

Ran 14 miles at 6 AM and walked over 2 miles listening to disco dance party mix.  Then did 1 hour of yard work.

Chantilly:  still amazing on your training!!  Great job on the 14 miler!  Maybe I should listen to disco music to make me run at 6 AM, LOL!! What the temps during that time in your neck of the woods?  You do ALOT of yard work, how big is your yard?   We have the FIRST year T-Bird, 1955.  I think the one in American Graffiti is a '56 which has air vents behind the front wheels that the '55 didn't have.  The 1955 picture on this website is the color of our t-bird.  https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/3f/1955_T-Bird%2C_aqua.jpg/220px-1955_T-Bird%2C_aqua.jpg