50 and over 5k and beyond

August 2015 runs and workouts (Read 11 times)

10 miles this morning. Humid from the storm leaving the area. Supposed to dry out a little this week. Well no rain again here. Tempe to the West had 1.3", Apache Junction to the East had 1". Where I am at we got a couple of drops, winds and dust. Such is our monsoon season.

AZ - Hopefully the weather will cooperate and you can get in your Harley ride.

Art:  you've been getting in some serious training runs!!  It's funny how much the weather differs between those communities, so close to each other yet so different weather patterns.  Road Runner sports is my 'go to' place when I'm down in AZ.  I wear a 2-bottle Nathan belt and find it comfortable, fits snug with little bounce.  I carry a Nathan hand-held bottle too but I need to get a larger on soon.  I'm still checking out some hydration vests for 50k runs.  I borrowed DH's Camelbac for trail race in WA but it only has one pocket in the back so you have to take it off to get to your stuff. Hope the running gear works out for you!!

DH took the '55 T-bird to a car show about 1.5 hrs north (towards Canada) on Saturday.  I followed later on my Harley bike.  The breeze made the ride pretty cool but once I parked under the shade at the event, it was pretty warm walking around in the full sun.  WHEW!!  There is so much time one can sit around at a car show and DH decided to leave about an hr after I got there.  After getting home, we took the T-Bird and had dinner, then drove and parked the car at the monthly Sat. classic drive-in in downtown.  Visited friends afterwards, got home late and slept in.  So another 'rest day' ............I think I'm running out of using 'rest days' as an excuse just because I ran a 50K+ trail race, LOL!!   Anyway, I see that everyone has been running.  I've been lazy.  So I plan on running later today, not sure how long and debating on whether to run outside or on TM in gym.  It's cooler and breezy today.  My next race is the Durango Double (in CO) Oct 10 and 11. http://durangodouble.com/   Then a couple of weeks later (when I am back in MN), I'm running another 50k trail race south of Minneapolis,  http://surfthemurph.org/  My trail running buddy and a friend of hers are also running it so it'll be a girls' weekend!!

adkkev:  What spectacular photos!!  What kind of camera do you use?  I can't seem to post photos now.  What steps do you take to post pics?  So what distance did you (and DW?) get on this hike?  Are the photos taken from 'scenic viewpoints?'  The falls are absolutely breathtaking in person, I'm sure.  I see a couple of people walking along a paved trail (bottom of photo).  Those picnic tables aren't going anywhere.

NH:  What was the diagnosis for your injury?  And did the Doc give an estimated time for full recovery .......considering your exercise schedule?  Your running splits have been pretty consistent and great times, IMO. Does alternating biking and running seem to help or biking/running same day? It's smart training that you listen to your body, and experimenting can give you perspective I think.  Hope a day of no running foster recovery.  It does for me especially in the heat and humidity.  I just let my body dictate the pace and take walk breaks to help my body cool itself effectively.      

Art in AZ

Yea! the heat is back. NOT!   5 miles this morning under clear sunny skies, temp was 91 degrees towards the end. There is a high pressure area over us causing the temps to increase a few degrees and the humidity to drop. Felt dryer than yesterday. Weather person just mentioned the high today was 110 degrees. Feels like it outside when I went to get the mail. Cooler temps can't come soon enough.

Chantilly - The bleachers didn't feel that bad. Probably because I only did the one set of 10 up and downs. Going down is when I slow down some because the spacing isn't to my stride. So I have to pay attention. Neither of the belts have rubbed lately. I start out with the belt on the outside of my shirt. But after a couple of miles I pull the shirt out and wipe my face to remove some of the sweat. Thought that by covering the frozen water bottles they would stay cooler longer. I don't think it made a difference. I occansionally will run around the track when I do the bleachers. You're right, it is very comfortable. But I would get bored real quick going in a small circle and seeing the same thing over and over and ....

Rich - How long before the weather cools off and gets rid of the bugs?

adkkev - If there were trails like that close by here I would be running on them alot. Beautiful scenery.

AZ - I wouldn't worry about the 'rest days' that much. It would take you what, 2-3 days to get back in the thick of things again.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Art:  I soooo don't miss 'the valley' with those temps!! Even Flag is experiencing some warm temps but running at higher altitude somehow makes it more tolerable .......for me. I'll be back home in AZ and NM in mid-Sept into Oct.  I can't wait!!  Did you try out your new running gear?  Running bleachers scares the hell out of me.  When we lived in ND, the safest place to run (besides the TM at wellness ctr) was at the track and I don't know HOW I made it around and around and around ........for miles.  I would run clockwise one or two miles, then counter-clockwise, etc.  Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

So I got my butt out the door just after 4 pm.  Scattered clouds provided some shade when running in the open around the fairgrounds but the NICE breeze made my run through the woods to the nearby lake very comfortable.  Some flying bugs now and then but the breeze kept them at bay.  My splits were all over the place but didn't worry about the pace, just an easy run, finished 10.1 miles, yippee!!  DH went for a swim at the gym and had dinner ready when I got back.  Love this guy!!

NH Runner

Tuesday, 8/4... 3 mile railtrail walk this morning followed by an easy 7 mile mtn bike ride later in the day.

adkkev... beautiful country and pictures!!

az... the injury that had me laid low for a while has healed, but I ended up with a slight pain in my lower left leg after my last run on pavement.    Since blood flow is what heals an injury, the walks and easy bike rides I'm doing are meant to increase circulation in my sore leg without aggravating what's sore.   Anyway, it's a minor pain that doesn't hurt when I walk, but I'm going to err on the side of caution for a few days just to be on the safe side.    Congrats on the 10.1 miles!

Art... it's hot where you live!!   Good for you to get that 5 miler in!    I made a post about my buddy in Miami dropping 7 pounds after a run, but forgot to mention the length of the run, but it was 6 miles!

adkkev

Monday - 3.25 miles running on the treadmill followed by 2 miles on the elliptical

Tuesday - 1 mile walking on the treadmill to loosen up my left achilles followed by 3.25 run on said treadmill followed by 3+ miles spinning.

Az - a '55 T-bird??  Very nice indeed.  I would love to find a Sunbeam Tiger some day but I doubt that's going to happen ... very few of them left & if any decent shape, quite expensive (for those of you that don't know what this car is, think Maxwell Smart).  My wife & I used to have a MG Midget in the pre-kids days.  As to our visit to Letchworth, not sure how far we hiked about ... maybe 3 miles all together, up & down & all around.  Most of the photos were taken from the trails we were on.  Those pics were taken with a point & shoot Nikon.  Jackie has more photos that I didn't share, she uses a Nikon D3300 (her Christmas & Anniversary present last year - our anniversary is 3 days before Christmas).

rmcj001

Chantilly - nice mileage and yard work you've been getting in.  Temps here have cooled off with all the clouds from the southern monsoons.

adkkev - Some nice pics and good work outs.  Things only get that green out here during the rainy season or when there's lots of green paint.

Dan - thanks for starting the monthly forum!  Hope you caught some fish.  HM will go fine.

Art - Gotta like those stairs.  Before they remodeled Stanford stadium we had some good bleachers to run.  Stay cool in those hot temps.

Az - Think to post pictures you need to find a site to host them first (not sure if it actually downloads the pictures from the URL or just has a pointer to them).  I use the google+ picture hosting (formerly Picassa?).  Think the Masters running forum has a writeup pinned to the first page.

NHRich - Sounds like things are progressing.  Just need to be patient ...

So, made a trip to Dr to check thigh/groin.  It looks like I tore the gracilis muscle and will be sidelined for a bit.  I now have a nice 2 inch purple strip from the groin down to the knee (3 inches near the knee).  Dr said I need to take it easier and my BP is up.  Guess I'll be walking for a little while.  Sigh, this getting old s*&t sucks.  I guess it is my turn to practice patience

Ray

Art in AZ

3 miles yesterday morning.

8 miles this morning. Sunny, hot and dry out.

AZ - Yes, the heat is challenging this time of the year. 10 miles at whatever pace is a nice run. Throw in the woods and a lake makes it a pleasant run to just relax and run.

Rich - The temperature makes it a little more difficult to run.

adkkev - There are a couple of Sunbeam Tigers around here. See them every year at the annual British Car Days in March. I had a MG Midget long time ago. As well as a Spitfire, a Sprite, 2 Opel GTs (one to drive and one to race). Now I have my Jensen-Healeys to play with.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Wednesday, 8/5... another easy day for me, 1.5 mile walk with Sim, followed later in the day with a 7 mile mtn bike ride.   Same routine, just taking it easy for a bit, but getting better.

adkkev... nice workouts Monday and Tuesday...

Ray... oh boy, when you get hurt, you don't mess around.    Good luck!!

Art... you asked about the cooler air and when it would get rid of the biting insects.    Deer flies don't seem to last long and are gone before cold weather arrives.    Right now it's mosquitoes and some pesky little gnat that likes to land on the back of your neck, then bite...lol   First frost won't happen 'til October, so it'll be a while yet before they're all gone.    Temp this morning was high 50's, perfect for a run.   

Ray:  that's a bummer!! How did it happen?  Walking is so under-rated but it comes in handy.  Wishing you a speedy recovery. Yeah, I download some photos on photobucket that I want to post here but there seems to be a glitch.  Will keep working at it.

adkkev:  I really like Nikons too.  I have a digital SLR.  Had a point-and-shoot (cool pic) Nikon which was stolen at a race in TN yrs ago.  But I tend to take photos/videos with my GoPro much more.  I love photography and have neglected my hobby for a few years now.  Achilles problems take the longest to heal.  You've been very smart in staying active and listening to your body.  Great job on two days of training.

Art:  Early morning runs are staying consistent with you.  Have you thought about any races up north?

NH:  glad the running/biking is keeping you active and injury free.  Totally can relate to the mosquitoes when I run in the woods and other flying insects that can be very annoying as they buzz around you and your trying to swat at them in mid-stride.

Drove to the state park around 3 pm.  It was about 73 degrees, 70% humidity, 8mph wind, hazy/cloudy sky which made the day comfortable for a run outside.  It wasn't as 'muggy' but I was drenched within 3 miles.  The slight breeze really helped.  Ran about 4 miles on paved bike trail, then 5 miles on grassy/dirt trail through the woods with a few decent hills, then run back to car.  Ran total 11.1 miles, yippee!!  Gonna feel that in my hamstrings and glutes for sure.  Lots of cyclists, walkers and rollerbladers.   I know there is a rollerblading race coming up soon, not sure where/when.  Need to get back to my foam rolling and stretching.

adkkev

Wednesday - 5.3 miles on the elliptical (progressive hill program) followed by 1+ mile cool down on the treadmill.

Sunshine, blue sky, low humidity ... looks like a beautiful day today.  Sadly I am only seeing it through my office window.

Ray - hope everything heals well & quickly ... and you maintain your patience & don't go out & aggravate the injury!!  I think that's one of the hardest things for runners to deal with.

On the insect front ... a lot depends upon where you go around here.  The nature & bike trail along the old Erie Canal has both mosquitoes and deer flies.  My wife took a short hike yesterday to some waterfalls in the southern Adirondacks & there were a few mosquitoes & some gnats buzzing about but no deer flies.  IMHO, deer flies are the worst ... those things just annoy you, buzzing about your head, and insect repellent has no effect on them at all.  Double-siding some duct tape & attaching it to your hat will help catch them but then you have a bunch of buzzing deer flies attached to your hat.  

We have taken some hikes while up in Alaska and the mosquitoes up there are treacherous!  You can truly be walking through clouds of them.  Head nets are essential!

NH Runner

Thursday, 8/6... one of the joys of living in NH is our early voting during presidential primary races.   Too bad elected officials aren't as concerned about how we feel after the elections...   I got up feeling pretty good this morning, headed for the railtrail expecting to run about 6 miles, but once I got under way my leg felt a little tender, so I backed off and decided to run just 4.    Walked jogged the first mile in 11:53, then ran 10:04, 9:49 and 9:39.    Easy walks and bike rides have worked so well with recovery, I hopped on the mtn bike later in the day and rode 7 easy miles, hoping for a repeat of the way I felt this morning, tomorrow morning...lol

az... nice run yesterday, you've bounced right back after that 38 miler...

adkkev... double sided duct tape, eh? lol   You could carry a tiny pair of scissors and clip the wings off the deer flies once they're attached to the duct tape, that'd teach the little buggers...lol

adkkev

adkkev... double sided duct tape, eh? lol   You could carry a tiny pair of scissors and clip the wings off the deer flies once they're attached to the duct tape, that'd teach the little buggers...lol

That's what my Leatherman is for ... 

Chantilly75

az2mntrail That's a couple of good days running.  Nice to have supper waiting for you. Fun weekend at surphthemurph if friends are going. Yes, I have a huge yard and it takes a long time to do everything, but I enjoy being outside and wouldn't like a condo.

Art in Az You'll be tired of 100+ temps. I remember the MG, not lucky enough to ride in one. What would you be planting in the garden next? if the weather co-operates, that is.

NH Runner Couple nice walks with Sim there.  Important to keep the blood flowing….especially at our age….

rmcj001 Sorry to hear about your injury. Hope some ice and then rest heals it up ok. But, yeah, it takes longer when we're old..er.

adkkev I remember vaguely about the Sunbeam, but after you mentioned Maxwell Smart's car, then I knew what it looked like. Nice hiking around for you and your wife. Both of you are photogs, eh?

3 days off due to work, then 6 miles yesterday and 8 miles today.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

justrundan

You all have been quite consistent, way to go.  Me, not so much.  Hope to get out tomorrow sometime if call is not too busy.  Varies a lot.

AZ- yes, I'm passing on Rails to Trails this year after realizing that DW's only time off in the fall, when we go to Door County, is that weekend.

You are really becoming the ultra woman, those long runs/races are amazing!

Ray- you tore the gracilis??  Wow, or I mean, OUCH!  take it easy for sure!  Hang in there.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Dan