50 and over 5k and beyond

August 2015 runs and workouts (Read 11 times)

Dan:  good to hear from you! Are you running Door County HM next May? I hope to 'normalize' my long runs .....well, at least 10 miles.  I think it's more difficult to 'taper up' versus tapering down, at least for me.  Rest days for muscle recovery after a LONG or tough race seem unproductive but I know it's a critical part of training for the next one.  Anyway, hope you get in a run despite your always busy schedule.

adkkev:  Are those darn black flying insects 'deer flies?' They go for a ride on my cap. There are so many different species out there.

Today was SUNNY, with temps around 85 degrees!!  Barely a breeze.  Leg muscles feeling good after 2 consecutive days of running so decided to go for another short one. Started out later than I wanted to.  Anyway, went to gym again.  Ran 4.1 'easy' interval miles on 'rolling hills' program.  Could have run another couple of miles but I was drenched. Only 1 fan and it's being used by another runner.  Don't know what happened to the other fans. So 10 minutes of cool-down on the elliptical.

DH is planning on another car show tomorrow about an hour south of here.  I might follow later on my harley bike. Then we will be ballroom dancing at 9 pm!  Definitely an afternoon nap is in order, LOL!! Have a safe and fun weekend everyone!

Chantilly75

justrundan Hope you get out for a run.  Some nice holidays you have been having.

az2mntrail A rolling hills program would be helpful for trails. Do you wear heels for the ballroom dancing?

10 miles.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

Art in AZ

Rest day Friday. Well, had an early morning service appointment for the car.

6 miles this morning.

Ray - Ouch on the injury. Hope it heals soon.

Rich - Slow an easy wins the race. I know it must be frustrating but hang in there.

AZ - Nice runs for you. No races up north. Still thinking about the Groom Creek Half by Prescott end of Sept. Not sure I would feel ready for that. But it looks like I'm going to sign up for the Haunted Half on Oct. 31st. It will be a little South of me near the San Tan area. Now I have to look for my cape.

Dan - Hopefully the schedule will improve some so you can get some running time.

Chantilly - A nice run for you as usual. Working in the garden today getting it ready for a couple of things. I'm going to try and get a few things in next weekend. According to one of the schedules I have it's time for green snap beans, squash, tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

justrundan

I did get out for a (short) run this morning before having to go in for work.  My weekend to work Saturday clinic.

AZ- hope your Harley ride was refreshing.  I hope to get out on my bike tomorrow after visiting DD and DSIL tomorrow noon in Madison.

Art- nice 6 miles.  Sounds funny to these northern ears to talk of planing vegetables in August. 

Chantilly- 10 miles, steady as usual!  Nice.

I appreciate all your encouragement!  Thanks.

Dan

NH Runner

Friday, 8/7... 5 mile railtrail run, pace was high 9:00's after an easy 1st mile warm up.

Saturday, 8/8... 2 mile railtrail walk with Sim, followed later in the day with a 1.5 mile hike through the woods with Sim and my 13 y.o. granddaughter.    Hiked in an area designated as the town forest, with hiking trails, etc.   Not far into the hike, Sim got blindsided by a couple of off-the-leash mutts whose owners had absolutely no control over them.    Ended the skirmish with a well placed kick that didn't hurt the attacker, but cooled his jets long enough for his owners to get him under control.    Owner's response..."Sorry, he does this all the time."

Sunday, 8/9... 6 mile railtrail run this morning, easy 1st mile warm up, then high 9:00's.    Goal for me now is to regain the leg fitness lost after a 2 month lay-off from running.    Basic fitness is ok, running muscles and aerobic capacity, not so much...

Art... not to worry, goal is to slowly get back up to speed...

ray... wondering how you're doing.    You too Gito...

Everyone else seems to be running well, Dan, hang in there with the tough work schedule...

adkkev

Friday - took the day off from work - we took the canoes up to Lake Abanakee in the Adirondacks, ended up paddling about 10 miles or so.  Saw loons, osprey (and nest), great blue heron.  We were almost to our take out spot & saw the loons (again), so we stopped paddling and just floated along .... the large male came within 10 feet of our boats, acting as if we weren't even there.  This loon was pretty big too!!

Saturday - 4 mile hike up & over a ridge to a small pond  (Kibby Pond).... 600 foot elevation gain over the ridge ... weather was perfect for hiking.  We had the pond to ourselves ... saw a loon but he/she was out pretty far ...

Sunday - 6.5 mile hike to another pond/lake (this one is named Long Lake but it's not any larger than yesterday's "pond'").  Found a stashed jon boat & oars and so we took it out for a spin around the lake.  Another perfect day for hiking!!  Deer flies were pesky at the lake but overall the bugs weren't bad at all.  The trail is actually a snowmobile trail so it was pretty wide most of the way.  Rolling terrain, no huge ups or downs.

Back to work tomorrow ... give me a chance to rest up for next weekend's adventures!!

rmcj001

Dan - Pretty sure it's the gracilis - palpating (sp?) the muscle that is most sore runs pretty straight down from the groin to the back of the knee (most of the bruising also follows this line).  There is slight bruise about 2 inches up from this (Satorius?), so could be there's additional damage, or I misinterpreting all the various sore spots and bruising.  Good to see you getting in some runs.

NHRich - Dr made a comment that if things hurt at night I was overdoing it during the day, so did nothing for 2 days to see if it made a difference.  Nope, still problems sleeping when I moved - amount of exercise didn't seem to have any affect that I could determine.

Good to see you taking things slowly, gives me inspiration to follow my own advice

Az - No real idea, other then muscles were a bit tired and overworked from marathon.  Didn't think I was running too fast any real injury, just maybe worked a little too hard beyond what they could really do.  Probably didn't do my self any favors when I knew something was wrong and finished the run anyway - should of shut it down.  Hard to know sometimes.  Some good runs there, bike riding and still waiting for the pics of the TB!  Oh, DH sounds like a keeper

Chantilly - Good runs and thanks for the well wishes!

Art - Worst part of the injury is that right now we getting cooler then normal temps!  Nice runs and stay out of the heat!  Good luck on the garden - squirrels seem to be getting all our tomatoes this year

adkkev - all the hikes and pics look wonderful.  Good workouts and hope you don't wear out the leatherman

So, took 2 days off completely and then Friday took a 5 1/2 mile hike.  Saturday, 4 mile hike and worked on hedge.  Sunday, DNS - had 5 mile race scheduled, contacted race officials to see if I could get a deferment (site says no, but thought I'd check anyway) - no go,  but did give me a $20 coupon on my next race.  Good enough.  DW was still doing 1/2 marathon so drove her and then waited for her.  After she left, there was an 85yo waiting for the 5 mile race and talked to him a bit.  He said Nancy Dietz was doing her first competitive race in 25 years.  Wished him well as he headed out on his 5 mile jaunt.  Went back to car to charge phone so I could get some pics when DW came back.  After about an hour it was at 75% and headed back to the start.  There was still time so decided to do some hiking, 1000' of elevation gain and 2 miles later got back in time to see 85yl finishing his 5 miles.  6 minutes later Nancy Dietz, DW and several others finished up.  DW gets some food and drinks and I tell her Nancy Dietz was in the race, she knows the name, but not the face.  I see her and go "I'm pretty sure that's Nancy there".  Couple minutes later Nancy comes up to DW and thanks her for motivating her to keep moving at the end (she passed DW shortly before the finish line).  Anyway pretty cool for DW!

Ray

Art in AZ

10 miles this morning. Typical weather. Sunny, clear skies, hot and humid. First half of run felt slightly tired. Figured I probably spent too much time doing yard work yesterday. Ate some grapes, had the gel I took with this time and some water. Didn't seem to make too much of a difference. Just felt tired during the run. Walked after every mile for a couple of minutes. Also it felt drier out and I wasn't sweating like I was earlier. Just felt tired. Drank a large glass of dark chocolate milk and rested for about a hour. Felt fine after that.

Dan - I'm sure you enjoyed the run even if it was a short one.

Rich - I see your mixing up your exercises. Some dog owners just don't have a clue. If they do it all the time that means put them on a leash. Do you have any leash laws by you. We do here but it's mainly enforced in the parks and at events.

adkkev - Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend. I'm jealous. My son came over this morning and we were talking about future hikes and such for when the weather gets cooler. I have an inflatable 2-person Sevylor kayak we take to the lakes around here. Fun when we get out.

Ray - Too bad about the race but you got something out of it for next time. I bet your wife felt good that Nancy came by her after the race.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Monday, 8/10... 6 mile run this morning.   Warmed with an easy first mile on the railtrail, then ran the pavement for a 2.5 mile out and back through the local covered bridge, splits were low 9:00's.     We've got rain coming in tomorrow and I don't have any plans to run, but would like to get a walk in if the rain holds off long enough.

adkkev... nice weekend!    Not so sure about that day off from work though, tsk, tsk! 

Ray... I'm not one to sit around with his foot propped up, waiting for something to heal, so I'm probably my own worst enemy when it comes to this stuff, but I prefer to keep moving.    Seems like the walks you're doing should help with your recovery as well, eh?     Whether it'll work or not remains to be seen, but I've started watching my resting heart rate as a way to tell if I'm doing too much.    Supposedly, if it's up a few beats, it's an indication you might be over training.    A fever or illness can also increase resting heart rate, but that's easy enough to rule out.   And what a treat for DW to run with one of the top women marathoners of the '80's, wow!    Hang in there with that injury!

Art... yeah, I'm getting better at recognizing when I need a day off from running, walk breaks are a nice alternative.    We do have leash laws in town, but some people think they only apply to other people...lol    And I understand people wanting to give their dogs a chance to run, but like you said, if you know your dog's aggressive to strangers, keep 'em on a leash.    After the dog's owner said "Sorry", I just told 'em a leash would be nice...lol    And I didn't kick their dog to hurt him, I tipped my foot down so it was more of a forceful push.

adkkev

from Friday's paddle adventure ... nearing the beaver dam on the small stream we found ...

adkkev

from Friday's paddle adventure ... Jackie taking photos along the way

adkkev

From Saturday's hike ... Kibby Pond

adkkev

I have no idea what these are ... this is a close-up of whatever it might be!!  It was maybe 4 inches tall at best.

adkkev

Monday - 1.6 miles on the treadmill followed by 8 miles spinning.

Chantilly75

Art in AZ The Haunted Half looks like fun.  I hope you can get some things planted soon when it cools down. We are waiting for the Suns schedule to be posted, before deciding on winter travel.

justrundan Have a quiet weekend at work.

NH Runner So glad to hear that neither you nor Sim got hurt by the dogs.Some people! Yeah, it takes awhile for the fitness to come back.

adkkev Enjoying your pictures. I tried to find that flower? (the one with the ?grapes? But a description of it is not good enough for google search.

rmcj001 Congratulations to your wife. The hike must have been ok for you. Hope you can gradually feel better.

4 miles on Sunday, then developed sciatica, so no runs for the past 2 days. Started Pilates exercises again. I have arthritis in the lower back which causes sciatic pain from time to time, Pilates will help it after a few days. Working tomorrow.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica