50 and over 5k and beyond

August 2015 runs and workouts (Read 11 times)

NH Runner

Friday, 8/21... 7 mile mtn bike ride, easy paced recovery ride

Saturday. 8/22... 6 mile easy paced railtrail run.    Legs are slow to recover from a workout, but seems to be improving

adkkev... nice 3 days of workouts.    The rototiller's another machine that was given up for dead that I've brought back to life.    I'll post a picture soon.     I bought it cheap (as usual) with the idea of using it to till my new garden...

Chantilly... lol... Luau & pina coladas, eh? lol  My goal is to someday be an Ultra runner, but in the meantime...lol   Nice workouts lately, even the free weights...

az... wow!  you're on roll lately, nice to get that 12 miler in!

art... you're another one with lots of miles lately, nice!

ray... your recovery's looking good!     Snakes eh?   Only from a distance...

Friday: shake out run of 3.1 miles on the TM, 20 min elliptical, 20 min cycle and weights in gym.  Group trail run tomorrow has been rescheduled to next Sat.  Rain is in the forecast anyway.  DH is wondering when his return flight will be b/c it got all messed up in paperwork!?!   Good Luck having to deal with it on the weekend.    His flights anywhere is always full of (mis) adventures!!

Saturday (today):  overcast sky all day and it rain in afternoon.  Nice breeze.  Very muggy.  Friend came over for early lunch and we caught up on our summer adventures.  Did not get a chance to run which was the plan, even for a 3 miler, oh well.  Meeting to attend this evening.

Happy weekend everyone!

Art in AZ

Friday night the women decided to do breakfast before they went out for the morning. So instead of running this morning I rode the bike 6 miles to the restaurant. Ended up beating everyone there. Well after breakfast decided to go for a bike ride instead of going straight home. Pedaled around Gilbert on their bike paths headed East. Came to the end of that and headed North along the canal until I hit the canal of my usual route and followed that back home. Ended up with 28 miles total according to the Garmin.

Chantilly - You got a few days of good miles. The soil is in pretty good shape. I dig in the plants when they are finished producing and add whatever is compostable from the house. Sometimes I'll add some soil mix to help replenish the soil.

Ray - It looks like the recovery is going well. These will be Fall crops followed by Winter crops in a couple of months. The only real difference is I space out the planting so I get more during the season.

Rich - Are you looking to do any events before the end of the year?

AZ - So today was an unscheduled rest day.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

justrundan

Spending Thurs aft to today in northern WI at a nice resort on edge of Boulder Jct.  Friend and I rode cycles up, DW and his wife drove up in convertible.  Great roads to ride up here, went to the UP to see some waterfalls that were very beautiful.    Very nice bike trails for the personally powered type of cycle, so we used bikes the resort had for a 9 mile ride yesterday.  Riding back today, may get wet like we did on the ride up.    Well, that's my 'non-running' week report!  Back at it tomorrow.

Keep up the good work everyone.

Dan

Art in AZ

9 slow, easy miles this morning. Then a little garden work getting a couple of areas ready and planted some green Bean seeds. Now I wait and see how well they take to the weather.

Dan - A bike ride counts as cross-training to me. The waterfalls sound like a relaxing place.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Sunday, 8/23... 6 mile railtrail run again today.    Almost a duplicate if yesterday's run, where I was stiff early, but loosened late and felt good the last couple of miles.   I'm pretty sure that's progress...

az... with the shape you're in, what's a missed run here or there? lol   Hope DH found a way to get home yesterday...

Dan... sounds like a nice relaxing weekend.   Like Art said, bike rides count too...

Art...  I want to run some races this Fall, but am not looking to race any time soon.    Running is back to being pain free, but I need to just log miles for a while before getting my game face back on...lol

Edited to add picture of rototiller adkkev asked about.   Owner's manual says it weighs 320 lbs.    Covered with rust, wouldn't run and wouldn't shift.   I'll put it to good use next spring, kind' a fun to breathe new life back into a machine like this, I expect to be a gardening "Expert" by this time next year...lol

Art:  WOW!! Good bike mileage .......thought I was reading Forrest Gump ......biked till trail ended, then turn around and bike to another, etc.  LOL!! Temp must have made it tolerable.  Good running miles too!!

NH:  I need one of those 'things' for next year's 'planned' garden ........didn't get around to it this year.  But last summer, we had some delicious sweet grape tomatoes.  I would like to get a mini herb garden in pots though.  I think I can handle that, haha!! Hang in there with your training runs.

Chantilly:  where and when is your Sept. HM?  You must have an incredible yard by now.

Dan:  HEY, I'm jealous of your bike trip!!    Good to hear you are getting some leisure time with your busy work schedule.  You deserve them. Yeah, rained most of the weekend here too.  Can you believe the temps?!?  Only in the high 50s here; would have run outside but it was pretty  windy.  Actually looked pretty depressing.  I got caught in a downpour a couple of weeks ago when riding my harley back from a car show.  Glad it didn't turn to hail. Those 4 miles seemed endless.  DH was in the T-bird following behind me. 

So I waited till the rain let up later in the afternoon today and drove to gym.  College kids are back!!  Most playing basketball and tennis and in the weight room.  My first mile was a warm up and then 4.1 effort pace interval miles on TM, then 1 mile cool-down on mini-track.  Total of 6.1 miles.  YAY!!  Did about 1/2 mile of combination of butt-kicks, knee-highs, lunges, scissors, etc.  Drenched.  Finished with some weights.

Chantilly75

NH Runner That's a good sized tiller.  You should be able to get gardens done with that. As long as the  stiffness loosens up, I think you're ok.

az2mntrail Good workouts there for you. Hope Mr.az gets home ok.

Do you find the college kids motivating? I like it when our local teen-20's group trains on the track in the winter.

(actually, if you saw my yard, you would wonder where all the work put in is at 

justrundan Sounds like you are getting in some good biking.

Art in AZ Another long bike ride for you. Have you ever thought about a triathlon?

rmcj001 You seem to be ok with the gradual increase in mileage. Hope the snake lives for another 10 yrs. Did you like the movie?  We really enjoyed it.

2 days off due to work. 6 miles today, then back to work.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

rmcj001

Chantilly - Liked the movie, I wasn't a fan of rap or  NWA, but I can understand their appeal.  Hopefully the snake will live a long happy life, but it's doubtful I will ever know...Solid run today for you.

NHRich - looks like the rototiller has found a new home!  Should make garden prep a snap.  We'll be looking for notice that you've opened up a small engine repair shop.  We had a couple of chainsaws that stopped working, DW wanted to just toss them and I thought they should be easy to repair.  Took them to a repair shop and the guy said " compression is gone, buy a new one" ?!  I hate to throw stuff out that seems like it's barely been used  and one of the chainsaws was only 1 year old when it stopped working. Sounds like your training is progressing, the races will come soon enough.

Art - Nice bike ride!  Good job on the 9 miles this morning! The growing season in Az sounds interesting and fun.

Az - Is it school season already? DS1 is on quarters, so won't start until mid September.  DS2 is doing an internship this fall and doesn't leave until early October, but would normally be back in Atlanta now.  An URD here or there can do wonders, but I here you on wanting to get out and run.

justrundan - Sounds like a good trip.  Hopefully you got "warm" rain.  China was all warm rain - didn't mind, made it seem "colder".

Did a fair amount of hiking Friday and Saturday nights, but no running this weekend. 8.3 miles today followed by a 2 mile cool down walk. Should be walking to food trucks tonight, so should get in another 3 miles of walking.

Ray

NH Runner

Monday, 8/24... easy 7 mile railtrail mtn bike recovery ride.

Tuesday, 8/25... ran with the "Tuesday Crew" today, more of a social gathering than a run, but we managed to get through 4 miles...

az... I wonder if you wouldn't be better off with what's called "Raised Beds" for your garden.     Basically a wooden box in your yard you fill with loam, then plant your veggies.   Compost piles, rototillers, horse manure.... who knew gardening could be this much fun!!!     Nice workout...

Chantilly... the stiffness seems to be never-ending for some reason.    Probably just a lack of miles, but what a pain.    Hang in there with work!

Ray... I wonder how many people would have the patience required to have me work on their small engine.   Basically a learn-as-you-go affair, I don't fix things in a hurry...lol    RE: your chainsaws, we seem to be more of a throw-away society every day, don't we?   Tough to buy quality these days.   You're recovering nicely from your injury, that 8.3 must have put a smile on your face, congrats!

You couldn't ask for a nicer day today.  It was gorgeous!!  About 65 degrees, 45% humidity, 11 mph wind, sunny.  The 'wind' kept me cool in the shade along the State bike Trail.  The local 'running club' posted their Tuesday workout run at the same area I was starting my run so I waited around for 15 mins, doing dynamic stretching.  No one showed up!!  Oh well.  Lots of cyclists and roller-bladers on the trail.  Took 1 minute walk break every 2 miles.  Felt great although it took about 2 miles before I fell into 'my groove.'  Finished 14.1 miles, yippee!!

NH:  I would like to try a 'smaller' garden box as you suggested.  We have compost that DH piles in the woods behind our home.  I'm reading up on organic gardening and herbal gardens in med/large 'pots.'  You had better luck with a group run than I did.  I need to get on my bike to enjoy this weather.

Chantilly:  most of the college kids at the gym play basketball or lifting weights.  Not too many run, and if they do, it's only for a mile or so.  I've noticed that they may be fast but they don't last very long.  I find the track team motivating; they take over the mini-track so I have to watch them from the TM.

Ray:  glad to hear that you are taking it easy on getting back to your speedy self.  Good 8+ miles.  There will always be races.  Wish there were more places to hike around here (off the beaten path) other than the muggy park with all the flying insects.  Does DW have races coming up?

rmcj001

Az - 14 miles to start the week?!  Cool. DW signed us up for 1/2 marathon on 9/19 - DS1 and GF too.  Think Moonlight Run is at end of September, but it's only a 5k or 10K.  October we have at least 2 longer races.  November a Full and a 1/2 marathon, plus we usually do a Turkey Trot and then beginning of Dec is CIM.

NHRich - some nice runs and biking you've been doing.  Yes, throw away society is right - it's not the parts, it's the labor costs.  Of, course, sometimes it's impossible to get the parts 'cuz it would cost too much to make them available...

Tuesday, 8.8 miles in slightly warm weather. Shoes are about to wear out, so I need to think about finding another pair.

Wednesday, 9.3 miles in 90F weather - felt a little humid, but nothing like you guys get in the east or midwest.

Ray

Ray:  Actually I started the week with a 6.1 trail run through the woods with trail running buddy on Sunday.  Yeah, the 14.1 miler felt good on Tuesday, an ideal outside run. I like having races lined up which keeps me in training mode.  Are you still running in vibram or some other minimalist shoes?  CIM looks incredible!  Another family affair, awesome!  I don't have any races after Oct. 24th, Surf the Murph 50K.  And I may be back in the SW around DEC .......hmmm!

Yesterday (Wed)., drove to gym for a shake out run to loosen up leg muscles.  Started with 30 mins on elliptical, talking with a friend I hadn't seen all summer, time flew by!!  Finished with a 3.2 miles on TM, second mile at effort level.  Might run today, if not, will run tomorrow.  Then Saturday it's a group trail run.  Sunday, meeting up with trail running buddy for another trail run through the 'maze.'  Temps are rising again.

Predicted high of 80 degrees!! With humidity in the 60s!!   So a rare morning run.  Temp already hovering around 70 around 9 am; 55% humidity but with the 10 mph wind, it felt great to run 'against' the wind.    Drove to state bike trail, ran 5 miles on paved and 5 miles on dirt with some decent short inclines.  The humidity was rising pretty fast so easy slow pace.  I hid a frozen water bottle on the way and by the time I picked it back up, the ice had melted.  It felt good to pour it over my head towards the end.  The last 1.5 mile was not pretty but had a good kick the last 1/2 mile which felt endless!!   Finished 10 miles, drenched. Had to sit in the shade to cool down.  A familiar feeling but the ice water made a difference.  Drove home and washed my car.  

rmcj001

Az - Turns out fitbit sends their weekly report with totals reflecting end of week as Sunday.  You can change your default for your webpage, but afaik not the weekly email.  So, I changed everything so my week begins on Monday to match.  Yes, I'm still running mostly in the Vibrams. Currently have a little over 1200 miles on the orange pair of evos and about 450 on a pair of See Ya's.  I do trail runs in a pair of New Balance Minimus and hikes and walks in Nike Free's 5 and 3 - so, fairly minimal.  Let me know if you decide to do CIM.

Yesterday was supposed to be hottest day of the week and temps seemed around 93F.  Took a couple of water breaks to rinse the salt of my face it mile 7+ and mile 9+.  Got in 9.6 miles and the another 1.5 walking.  Last night on the news they said it would be warm today, but should be the start of a cooling trend...NOT!  Started running today and it just felt hot.  Legs felt heavy and breathing labored.  After a about 4.5 miles I decided that if I could make it to a 10K I could walk.  At 6.4 miles I commenced the walking.  Walked 3 miles and hit most of the drinking fountains on the way back.  Got back and check the temps 96F - it felt hotter to me.

Have a good weekend everyone!

Ray