50 and over 5k and beyond

April 2016 runs & workouts (Read 9 times)

April Fool's Day!! Any stories?

Day started out as cloudy, by 9 am, snow flurries but mother nature must have been fooling with us b/c in less than 30 minutes, the sun came out!!  Rest day today! Have a great day everyone!

NH Runner

Friday, 4/1...Weather forecasters yesterday said rain today, but it was dry when I got up this morning with a revised forecast that said "possible" showers,    Anyway, with the temp at 70 degrees, I delayed going for a run, working on getting the garden ready instead.    At noon, I got dressed and headed down the railtrail for an easy 6 miler.    Everything went well until a 1/4 mile to go, when the skies opened up and soaked me good.   Quickest mile of the day as I tried to outrun the raindrops, but couldn't have gotten any wetter if I'd jumped in the river...lol    April Fool, eh?  Never trust a weather forecast...lol

az... you were smart to rest today, it was dangerous outside! lol

Art in AZ

Friday morning planned to just walk 3 miles but felt really good so ran 3 miles instead. Run felt good.
        Saturday morning rode the bicycle 7 miles to the 5K run and after the event rode back home. So a kinda spread out practice duathalon.
        Sunday morning got in a 9 mile run. The weather was sunny, bright, cool but windy.

Saturday's Run3rd5K report.
        Followed my plan of riding the bicycle there as a warm up and because it was close to the house. Clear sunny skies but still a little brisk. Arrived at the event and went to registration and picked up my bib and bag. Had them change me from the 70+ group to the correct group. How hard is it to read the form and get the group correct? Checked out the vendors, nothing new there, and then looked at the raffle table. Some nice items there. Even a few signed items by Sean Astin.

Lined up for the pre start activities and after the regular announcements they introduce Sean Astin. I was wondering whether he would be in attendance but with his mom 'Patty Duke' passing on Tuesday didn't think he would be here. So I was kind of surprised to see him here. He gave a short speech talking about his mom and the whole Run3rd philosophy. During his speech he mentioned that if we saw him along the side of the rode not to help him as he wanted to finish the race himself. This from a guy who did the Ironman in Hawaii a few months ago.

After the race he hung around and chatted with people, signed autographs and posed for pictures. I went up to him and offered my condolences on his mom and shook his hand. A very nice guy in my opinion.

Oh. The race. I finished 2nd in my group and 22nd overall with a time of 24:29. There were a lot of kids running this event as that age group is part of the focus of Run3rd. With that in mind the top female here this time was a 14 year old.

AZ - Enjoyed the rest day? No April Fool's Day story maybe. I got an email saying a won the prize for attending a series of web training classes. I guess I'll know for sure if the package arrives.

Rich - Nothing like a little rain as an incentive to run faster. Though in this case it sounds like it was more than a 'little' rain. We haven't had rain here for about 63 days now. So any water the garden gets comes from the drip system.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Saturday, 4/2... cross training day today, 7 mile railtrail run followed later in the day by a 5 mile tryke ride.

Sunday, 4/3... easy 2 mile walk with Sim today, basically a day off.    Today's wind was 25 mph, with gusts to 45, temp was high 30's.

Now a question for the gardeners on here, have you ever heard of what's called a 3 Sisters Garden?    The 3 sisters being corn, squash and pole beans.    Plant the corn first, when it's 6 inches high plant the pole beans and squash.   I'm assuming the squash provides shade to keep the soil cool and read that the pole beans will climb the corn stalks, eliminating the need to build something for the beans to climb.    Anyone have any experience with this?

edited to add: Hey Art, looks like we were posting at the same time.    Saw where Patty Duke passed, but am not familiar with her son.    I can't imagine doing an Ironman, he's obviously in great shape.   And congrats on the 5K finish, you did really well.  The bike ride to the event worked, eh?

Hope the rain situation improves and yeah, try as I might, I couldn't outrun the raindrops Friday...lol

adkkev

Happy April everyone!!  Unfortunately the weather is more February than April.  The winds are howling, it's cold, and snow is in our overnight forecast.  Snow fell all around us earlier today but we didn't get a thing ... just wind & sunshine.

Friday 4 treadmill miles

Saturday - work around the house day - hauling more junk to the dump, a run to Lowe's for garden soil (5 bags for $10), all that fun stuff.

Sunday (today) - 4+ miles on the treadmill

Saturday we watched "The Way" on Netflix ... pretty good movie with Martin Sheen, directed & produced by his son Emilio Estevez.

This afternoon we went to see Zootopia with my son, his g/f, and our granddaughter.  What a good fun movie!!  Lots of good laughs & the animation is top notch (Disney of course!).

justrundan

Happy April everyone!  We will see if spring really shows up for good.  We had the craziest weather yesterday.  Strong wind out of the north, and bright sunshine alternating with heavy, blowing (35mph) snow!    We must have gone through that pattern at least 4 times, with temps hovering around 33 most of the day.  28 this morning, and then 71 by late afternoon!  We even put the top down on DW's convertible for a short ride.

I did great while in St Augustine, 25-30 miles between my runs and the walking that DW & I did.  The next to last day we were visiting a friend we 'found' there and I started to experience some irregular heart beat.  I often have premature, or skipped beats, but this was different.  I was monitoring my pulse while we were talking and it really felt like a rhythm called atrial fibrillation.  Fortunately it resolved on its own in about 20 minutes; I would have gone to the ER if it hadn't.   So no I am wearing a monitor that will keep track of my heart rhythm for the next 30 days, or until I get tired of wearing the darn thing.

I will be taking it a little easier, at least for the first week or so. Which is good, since I've not had any time to run anyway.  The weather took out any chance for a long run yesterday, so maybe next Saturday.

Art- very nice 5K time; do you feel the ride to the race gave you a good warm up, but not too much work?

Rich- I have heard of the 3 sisters, and tried it several years ago. I think it would have worked better I worked my soil better to improve it's fertility.  lots of clay here.

adkkev- I sure agree with you on the April weather.  DW & I watched the Steve Martin edition of Roxanne last night, I needed a comedy and love this one.

Everyone have a great week.

Dan

Dan:  glad all is okay.  Good to be on guard for such things especially being a health provider.  Has it happen before?  Do you get it checked out anyway?  DH and I get into the details on what's happening when things don't 'feel' well.  Being pro-active is very smart on your part.  You and DW seem to have enjoyed your FL trip.  You both deserve it.

Art:  CONGRATS!!  great finish on the 5k!  I think biking there is a very efficient way to get the warm-up and keep legs fresh from the pounding. And then, getting a 9 miler in the next day, WTG!! Yes, was sadden to hear of Patty Duke and what a memorable day to have her son at the event.  I always remember him from the wonderful uplifting movie, RUDY. I didn't know he did the Ironman, very impressive!!

adkkev:  I really enjoyed the movie, The Way, very inspirational, incredible cinematography.  It made me think of running/biking that path if I'm ever in France.  We had stupid temps here too.  It snowed Friday!! Saturday was freaking cold, about 23 degrees, 16-22mph wind, feels like 10 degrees!!  OMgoodness, so I didn't run outside and the university gym had events again so couldn't run on track. It was fine as my calf muscle 'injury' area felt stressed.  Didn't want to push it.  So had 2 days of rest.

Rich:  what we get weather wise with this crazy weather conditions, you all get later it seems!!  sorry   Trying to outrun the unexpected rain can give you a PR, haha!  Been there, done that!  Glad you got in some miles on Saturday.  Not a 'gardener' here but that's interesting.

My trail running buddy didn't get her LONG run in of 26 miles on Sat (she's training for a technical, hilly trail marathon) so she had to do that today.  We had tentative plans to run the mtn bike trail for her recovery run today, well, that didn't happen.  I could join her on the last few miles if I wanted to.  I didn't.  She is so much faster and I didn't want her to feel obligated running 'together.'  I was only planning on running 3-5 miles.  We will meet up later in the week for short run or hike on the mtn bike trail, I hope.  We had sleet/rain early this morning anyway and the trail was probably too muddy.  Partly cloudy, about 35 degrees, 12mph wind, feels 28 when I decided to drive to university gym this afternoon instead of running outside.  Wind is not dying down.  I'm trying to be consistent in getting drills and weights on my short run days.  Started with 20 mins on elliptical, 3.1 miles on track (6 min run, 30 secs walk break), 1/2 mile of drills, 10 mins on elliptical again, finished with 20 mins weights.  Good workout.  Then home to watch the women's NCAA game.  Championship games left, Monday (men's), Tuesday (women's).

Crazy Diamond

Happy Opening Day!  April is having fun with us.  Same temperature as Christmas Day + snow.  What???

AZ – Thanks for getting us going this month.  The weather so far has been one BIG April Fools’ joke!  Great job getting to the gym for workouts and running when the weather is mild.  You’re doing great!

Rich – Hang on to your hat running in that wind!  Three Sisters planting was used by several groups of native people in our area.   When DS2 was in 4th grade he chose a summer project to study the Iroquois people, and planted a 3 Sisters garden.  He did 2 separate plantings with a variety of planting seeds.  It worked well.   I recall the squash (acorn) being outstanding that year.

Art – Congratulations on your fine finish at the Run3rd 5k, and well done on the 2nd in AG!  What a treat to meet and run with Sean Astin!  “Rudy” is my go-tomovie when inspiration is needed, and as a “The Lord of the Rings” fanatic, IMHO he was perfectly cast as Sam in the trilogy.  His comments on his mother’s passing were so thoughtful and loving.  Although growing up with a celebrity parent with undiagnosed mental illness must have been horrific, he appears to have grown to be a very strong individual.

adkkev – Seeing “Zootopia” with your family, esp. granddaughter, had to be a blast!  “The Way” is on my Netflix queue … too many movies, not enough time!  Any big hiking trips planned for the summer?

Dan - When health scares happen away from home it is always unsettling.  Hope the results from the monitoring will be helpful in answering any concerns.  Sunday’s weather was ridiculous! Wore a down jacket in the morning, shorts & sleeveless top for my afternoon run –crazy!!!

Hey Chantilly, Ray, Fletch and others!  Hopefully life has just gotten too busy to post and isn’t due to injury or illness.  Check in when you can.

Finished March with 98 miles.  If not for a missed run on 3/31 due to thunderstorms, mileage would’ve been over 100.  That hasn’t happened for me since 2014!

F, 4/1 – 6 mile progression run on the gravel paths at the county grounds.  Lots of puddles from Thursday thunderstorms.

Sa, 4/2 –SRD, 6 hour indoor track meet, DS2 came in third in the 2 mile.  Then off to AHL hockey game and post -game concert with Dennis DeYoung.  Hour and half sing a long of his solo and Styx hits.  Awesome show!

Su, 4/3 – Changed planned route because of 35 mph wind gusts.  5 miles, felt like I was running in place at times!

M, 4/4 – Hip and ITB are not happy.   Too much bleacher time on Saturday I presume. Skipped gym workout today, but using foam roller, target ball and stretches throughout the day.

Run strong!

Quo Vadis?

Art in AZ

5 mile run this morning. Started just as the sun was rising.

Rich - Maybe you could attach a sail to the tryke for those windy days. I have heard of the 3 Sisters but have never tried it here in Arizona. I tried growing corn but it didn't turn out well. Sean Astin has been in a lot of movies and TV shows. Particularly Sam in Lord of the Rings, title character in Rudy, one of the kids in Goonies and others. He did the Ironman in October last year and mentioned at the event he was leading a more relaxing life now.

adkkev - I've been watching the crazy weather happening up there. Have family in Northern Illinois and Wisconsin.

Dan - Crazy weather for you also. Glad it was nothing serious so far. The bike ride to the 5K I think helped me warm up some. I got there about 45 minutes before the run started. So there was a rest period while I kept walking around.

AZ - Cross training indoors because of the weather isn't a bad thing. At the event I wished I brought my phone with for a couple of pictures. Decided to leave it at home this time. Lesson learned.

Gito - Congrats on the monthly mileage. Listening to Sean talk was good to hear about his thoughts and how involved his mom was with raising awareness of mental illness early on. Kind of inspiring.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Monday, 4/4... the wind gusts yesterday took down a neighbor's tree that's right on our property line, but the neighbor's a single woman, so it looks like the job of cleaining it up belongs to me...lol   Had plans to do that today, but it snowed all day, so I passed.    Bought gas and bar oil for the saw, so I'm ready for tomorrow if the weather cooperates.    Tried running on the treadmill with a full stomach a while ago and managed a mile, so call it another rest day today...

Thanks to all who responded to the 3 Sisters question.   I've done a lot of work to improve the soil on my garden Dan, so hopefully I'll have better luck than your attempt.   And I read that about the Iroquois people gito, really interesting stuff.   I stopped today and bought seeds for Butternut and Zucchini squash, plus pole beans and I'd already bought corn and Winter squash seeds earlier, so everything's in place if Spring ever gets here...lol

Adkkev... Happy April!   You're a busy man with the garden lately, eh?   And a workhorse on the treadmill, nicely done!

Dan... I wonder if it's a runner's thing to have a heart that can toss in an odd beat once in a while.   It must have been unsettling to have yours feel like Atrial Fibrillation, thankfully it resolved itself.   Now, riding around with the top down on the convertible in Florida might be considered rubbing it in by some, but given your weather back home, you were justified...lol   Hopefully wearing the monitor will find you with no serious problems, you're smart to be taking it easy and keeping an eye on yourself.   Good luck!

az... a thunderstorm is another motivator to make me run faster, great way to find that "extra effort", especially when the lightning bolts are close...   Too bad you missed running with your buddy, but you got in a good workout just the same

Gito... I can't believe you passed on running in a thunderstorm, they're such a great motivator for a little unscheduled speed work...lol    98 miles for the month ain't too shabby though, good for you!   And starting out April pretty strong as well, nice!

adkkev

We had more snow fall today (7") than we've had most of the winter.  Thankfully it wasn't very windy today so there wasn't any blowing snow to deal with.  But it seemed like everyone forgot how to drive in snowy weather ... despite the nice job the plow crews had done this morning, people drove either overly cautious or way too fast ...

4+ miles on the treadmill this afternoon.

Crazy Diamond

Primary election day in Wisconsin, usually no biggie, but I'm so happy to know tomorrow the ads will take a break for awhile and the candidates will move on.

Tu, 4/5 - 4 miles along the river on the parkway. 34F, sunny and gusty winds in the open areas.

Run strong friends!

Quo Vadis?

NH Runner

Tuesday, 4/5... pressed for time today, my youngest granddaughter stopped by after school and had requested stuffed peppers for supper, which caught me by surprise at how long it takes to fix them.    Brown rice takes 40 minutes, then the stuffing goes into the peppers and then the oven for another 40.    Different recipe with cheeses in the rice that takes the extra time.    Anyway, 3 mile railtrail run was all I had time for today...lol   I did manage to get the downed tree cleaned up this morning, so the day wasn't a total loss...lol

adkkev...the Tiger Lilies in my yard looked a little "stressed" after the sun melted the snow off 'em today...lol   All that nice weather we had a week ago made 'em think Spring had arrived...lol   Nicely done on the T.M. again...

gito... living in NH, Primaries are always a big deal here.   I watch the craziness and wonder what the Founders would think of today's election process.   Not much I'm afraid, but at least they've moved on and left Wisconsin for the bigger fish that are coming in the next few weeks, eh? lol   Nice 4 miler on the parkway today...

NH Runner

Wednesday, 4/6... 6 mile railtrail run today, fresh snow made for slippery footing.    Spring's disappeared for a few days except for the Robins, they seem to be here to stay even if it means tossing leaves and snow aside to find a worm...lol

Art... missed your last post for some reason.   I wonder how long it'd take me to break my neck with a sail attached to the tryke in a 45 mph wind...lol  Not long I'm afraid...lol

Art in AZ

Tuesday - Rest day sort of. Dressed for a run but decided to dig up a big dying bush before the garbage truck came by. Couple of hours later I was finished.
                                Wednesday morning - Thought I would get a long run in. Got ready, filled up my water bottles, grabbed my shades and radio and left. About a couple of miles into the run decided I needed a drink. It was pretty dry out. Wait. Where's my water bottles? Duh! Back home on the counter. Turned around and headed home. So got 4 miles in. Maybe tomorrow.

Rich - Windy out? And then snow. Ugh. Is the tree suitable as firewood? And you could use the sawdust as mulch sortof. Nice that your granddaughter wanted you to make dinner.

adkkev - Winter's last hurrah hopefully since it decided to leave all that snow.

gito - I feel the same way on the primaries. We get a reprieve for a while before it starts again.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ