50 and over 5k and beyond

April 2016 runs & workouts (Read 9 times)

justrundan

I've managed 2-3 runs/week, nothing long, hope to get out on trails at Devil's Lake tomorrow for something approaching a 'long' run, for me.

Conference in Baltimore was good, 2 nice runs along their Inner Harbor as the sun rose.

Ray- loved reading your Boston report, so hard in that heat.  Your tenacity and plain 'guts' to tough it out and finish are inspiring.  The providers in the medical tents know what a hurting runner looks like, and good thing, most runners don't realize it because of how badly they feel.  Rest up and then get back out there, like I know you will.

Rich- yes, 10 d in arow deserves a break!  nice streak.

adkkev- yes, spring has the animals out here in WI too.  Saw a group of 3 cranes in a corn field this morning while riding my motorcycle east to get service done.  Nice runs.

Art- nice 8 miles; is the canal path fairly quiet and not busy?

AZ-  I plan to send in registration for DWD this weekend.  Then get out with some regularity!   Good luck on your long run this weekend.

Dan

Art in AZ

6 miles this morning. Just a regular run. Now that I read that that sounds boring. Just a regular run listening to the tunes.

Rich - 10 day streak good for you. Take a break.

adkkev - some nice runs for you.

AZ - Good conditioning workouts. No doubt you'll be ready for your runs. No runs or travel planned now. But I keep looking. We're getting into the time of year here where pretty much every race is a 5K because of the heat.

Dan - The canal path is quite most of the time and hardly ever busy. Most of my runs along it I'll be lucky if I see more than 5-6 people during the week. The weekend is a little busier. I'll see more ducks than people most days.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

Rich:  25k trail run is right around the corner and the only thing that 'worries' me is running the hills. I was doing so well till this damn injury got me sidelined.  I hope my time back in AZ next month will get me some training miles on the mtn trails. Then just run my run on race day.  I'm always impressed with 'streakers' ..........never done one, longest is probably 6 days but that wasn't planned.  You deserve some rest days.  Your tryke is lonesome.

Art:  Yeah, I understand the PHX summer temps forces one to search for races elsewhere, thus plans for travel if you have the time.  Flagstaff summer running series has short distance races too which works out for those who aren't use to altitude.

Ray:  how are you doing?

Rest day Friday.  DH and I went to Dance Follies event to watch some of the dancers we hang with.  It was a great show, 2 hours with 10 min intermission.  It was fun to watch the students come so far and the confidence they gained to dance in front of a crowd! wow!!

It was about 53 degrees, 12mph wind, feels 48, CLOUDY, 56% humidity when I drove to the State Park.  Decided to run on FLAT trail.  Set Garmin to 6 min run/1 min walk break.  Tough start for about 1/2 mile with knee being stiff due to weather I'm thinking but the more I thought about it, it's probably from my last workout with the weights, squats.  After a mile, it started to loosen up so I just took it easy and slow.  After 2 miles on paved trail, got to dirt trail and ran it till I hit 8 miles, then started back on paved trail to parking lot.  I did run up/down a gradual hill a couple of times just because it was there .  Finished 10.2 MILES!!  YIPPEE!! My longest distance!! It's been just over 2 months since I started 'jogging' again.  I'm happy.  YAY!!   DH had salmon dinner waiting, what a guy!!

Art in AZ

3 miles Saturday morning before doing the days activities with granddaughters.

10 miles this morning along the canal path and did the 2 highway overpasses twice. Beautiful morning for a run. Clear blue skies, sunny, cool with a slight breeze. Now to finish breakfast and then a few house things and working on the car.

AZ - Nice 10 mile run. It's rough sometimes getting used to running hills after being off for a while. I checked the elevation of your 2 upcoming races. The first didn't look too bad for a trail race. But the second one, if I remember correctly, didn't that have the big mountain gain in it?

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Friday, 4/22... basically a day off, took Sim for an easy 1.5 mile walk

Saturday, 4/23... 7 mile easy mtn bike ride on the railtrail.

Sunday, 4/24... wrestling match early with 300 lb. rototiller, then 4 mile railtrail run.    Expanded the garden with the rototiller to include potatoes and lousy conditions for a run, windy with soft footing on the railtrail.    I lost the match with the tiller BTW...

az... if I remember right, you have a sissy injury equivalent to getting a sliver, while my injury is life threatening, is that right?    In any case, I'm already healed, so I win....lol   And good luck getting up to speed before your races get here, training seems to be going well, so you should be fine.   Nice 10.2 miles!

Dan... your training has been more than enough to maintain fitness, you're doing just fine.    Good luck getting out for something longer at Devil's Lake...

Art... nice weather lately, eh?   And some nice runs too.   Nice...

NH Runner

Monday, 4/25... 6 mile railtrail run this morning, to get out of the wind.   Right hamstring was as tight as a guitar string, I think I could have stopped and played a tune on the thing if I was musically inclined...

rmcj001

Az - Nice 10 miler this weekend! Physically I'm pretty good and today's run went extremely well. Mentally, well just a bit off, can't really explain it any other way. I guess I'm in the "now what?" phase...

Dan - Thanks! I don't think of myself as gritty, probably just the opposite and Monday was a non-good day. Glad you've been able to get some consistent running in!

Art - Some good running for you too! Sometimes I think the 5 and 10K are under valued. I'm kind of thinking that after the SF Marathon, might just invest my time in those races for a bit. We'll see...

Rich - Did you say wrestling match? Did I ever mention I got my HS Varsity letter in wrestling? I like the 2 week streaks, seems like you've done some consistent work and then the day off is good.

Walked last Wednesday, 4/20, and took Thursday completely off.  Got first run in on Friday, 7.1 miles followed by a mile jog to cool down. Saturday was a TM day of 4.3 miles. Sunday turned in to URD. Today's run was supposed to be just an easy jog, but it was a bit cooler and so was moving quickly and realized watch was measuring things way short and slow, so just kept speeding up. 6.2 miles (10K) in under 48 minutes -- a really good run for me.

Ray

Ray:  the typical "post-run blues"?  It happens.  But it sounds like you are giving the body some nice, easy short runs to foster its recovery phase.  Having a goal is typically the way most runners deal with the "so what's next?" dilemma. You seem to already be on your way by considering shorter distances.  Glad that you made it home safely.  Did DW take any photos of you in Boston event?

NH:  hope the hamstring loosens up before a recital ensues along the railtrail .  Even Sim got a run in.  My 'injury' is becoming a nuisance but I blame the slow recovery time to the weather conditions, LOL!! Good job on fighting the rototiller AND the wind on your run day.

Art:  my 10 miler on Saturday felt awesome!!  Hope yours did too.  Do your GDs help with your garden?  Or just eat the results of your green thumb?  I probably asked this before or you mentioned it but how old are they?  Do they live close by?  It's really nice you make time for them. Each of my upcoming trail races have good amount of gain/loss considering their locations.  It will be my first time running either one but I just 'run my run' and finish upright.  I'm really excited about them though.  Like the saying goes in dirt trail running, "it's only a hill, get over it!"

Dan:  how are you?

Chantilly, Deb, Sluggo, adkkev and anyone else I missed:  hope all is well.

About 37 degrees, 18mph wind, feels 30, cloudy, rainy!  Drove to gym.  Started with 15 min elliptical, ran 3.1 miles with some intervals thrown in on the straightaway portion of the indoor track, WHEW!!  15 min cycle, then finished with 10 min on elliptical.  Weight room was pretty crowded so didn't do that today. Knee actually felt better after the run.

NH Runner

Wednesday, 4/27... yesterday was an unscheduled day off due to rain and snow all day.   The ground turned white for a while, but faded away once the snow changed back to rain.    Today however, the sun was shining and the temp was close to 60.    Like a flash, I was out the door and down the railtrail for a 6 mile jaunt.     With the few hairs I've still got on my head flowing in the breeze, I cut a dashing figure.    Then it was over, pace was mid 9:00's after an easy first mile...

Ray... you were a good wrestler, eh?   My rototiller must have lettered in HS too...     Recovery from Boston seems to be going good, good for you...

az... I'm surprised you didn't bite at my smart aleck remark about your injury...   Doggone weather anyway, eh?    You had a good workout Monday and seem to be holding up pretty well, hang in there...

NH:  What?!?  SNOW yesterday ......and then 60 degrees today!!   Yo-Yo weather conditions for sure .....rainy here but today was WINDY!!  No, that "smart aleck remark" was FUNNY!!   Sounds like 'letting your hair down and blowing in the wind' made for a nice run!! 

Dan:  how is your training runs?

WINDY all day!! Between 15-22mph wind but temp was 'warmer', about 55 degrees, partly cloudy, feels 50.  Procrastinated, to see if wind would die down ......nope.  Was dressed to run since morning.  'Looking' like a runner can be motivating, I told myself.  Finally, afternoon came around.  Decided against going to gym, will go there tomorrow.  Ran to/from lake on dirt road, knee/calf area felt stiff and tight again till after a mile, it loosened up.  Finished 5.1 miles, YAY!!

SO NICE today!!  About 55 degrees, slight breeze, partly SUNNY!!  Tempting to go for a run but need to be patient and 'follow' my 3x/week runs so to not re-injure myself. Drove to gym.  Less people there, awesome!  Started on elliptical for 25 min.  Then 45 min of weights.  Walked a couple of laps.  Core exercises and drills with medicine balls, stretching.  Finished with 10 min on bike.  Hope tomorrow is just as nice as today so I can get in at least another 10 miler.  DH has a family member graduating from High School so early Saturday morning, we are driving to and staying in Aberdeen, SD.  Then Sunday morning, we will drive up to Grand Forks, ND for a car show.  So mostly driving all weekend.  Usually my run days are T, TH and Sat. but because of the graduation event, changed run days to M, W, Fri.

How are you all doing?  Looks like everyone is BUSY!!

NH Runner

Thursday, 4/28... yesterday's railtrail run in the soft footing didn't set well with my right Achilles today, so I took the mtn bike for an 8 mile ride.    Seems to have helped my Achilles, so mission accomplished...

az... yes, Tuesday's weather was crazy.    Parts of the state got 4 inches of snow, but locally we got about an inch.     Frustrating, but not unexpected this time of year.   Your workouts are going well az, I know you want to do more, but you're doing pretty well already for someone who's less than 100%...

NH:  It's amazing how the weather is still so wacky in different parts of the NE and midwest in regard to snow/cold temps.  And somehow it doesn't surprise us, weird!?!  So what part of the soft terrain gave your achilles some frustration?  Glad you could work it out with some cycling.

It was gorgeous in northern MN!! About 60 degrees.........YES!!  With slight cool breeze, MOSTLY SUNNY!!   Drove to state park. Plan is a 10 miler.  Set garmin to 6 min run/1 min walk break.  Back of right knee/side of calf area is tight but took it easy and it loosened up after a couple of miles.  Finally reached dirt/grass trail (X-country trail) with occasional gradual short hills, ran them till I reached 9 miles. Changed walk break to 30 seconds about 6 miles in.  Feeling good with walk breaks as I stretch my calf area.  Focusing on keeping good form on hill running.  Started back to car on paved trail. Last 2 miles were great!! No walk breaks.  Finished 11.5 miles!! YIPPEE!!  Post-run stretches about 15 min.  Drove home, washed my car.  DH is getting ready for bee season.  Rest days Sat and Sun.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!

NH Runner

Friday, 4/29... 4 mile railtrail run today.   Easy paced and picked my way along to avoid ruts and soft footing.

az... the railtrail's rutted from ATV traffic and large sections of it also have loose sand.    I'm assuming that's what's putting stress on my Achilles if I land wrong in a rut or try to push off too hard in the soft stuff.    I just need to ease up on pace and I'll be fine.    You had an excellent run yesterday!   Congrats.

Participation seems to be waning here lately, doesn't it?    Not sure what's up with that...

justrundan

The long trail run I was going for last Saturday?  not so much; I tripped at about mile one, tried valiantly to stay upright and  then pitched forward into a roll, so minimal damage.  After I wiped off some mud and talked with the middle aged runner who had seen the fall I went on, but within a half mile realized I had strained my left hamstring.  I started to go on, but realized with this trail I had no idea how long it might be before I could take a trail back to the parking lot.  So I doubled back and got in maybe 2.5 mi.  Fortunately it hasn't hurt too much since, so I think I'm still good to train for DWD in July.  A few short walk/runs on TM during week to check out the strain, and today did 7.5 on country roads around home.  Low mileage month for me, but at least I'm moving.

AZ- you are right, this midwest weather doesn't know what it wants to do.  42 and breezy when I went out this morning, now raining since 1PM. Next week is warmer they say, hopefully you way as well.  You are coming along very well from the injury.

Rich- Hope the Achilles will work out soon.  Running with ruts is pretty treacherous.

Everyone must be super busy right now.  I feel odd posting when I'm not running.  That's my excuse, and I'm sticking with it. 

Dan