50 and over 5k and beyond

August Runs and Workouts (Read 21 times)

NH Runner

Monday, 8/18/2014... 3 mile walk / jog with my furry training partner today.   We stopped at 1.5 miles for a minute so he could rest, then continued on.   Splits were 13:43, 12:00 and 11:41.    Later found me on the mtn bike for an 8 mile ride on the railtrail in 37:10.     Very happy with my progress lately.

adkkev... upstate NY is beautiful country, I really enjoyed your photos.

gito... thanks.   And yeah, the country seems to be leaving a lot of people behind lately, doesn't it?    I don't know what the answer is, but the direction we're going in now sure isn't working.    Congrats. on your training runs, you're running really well.

chantilly... good luck with your back and Sciatica.   You're a trooper, that's for sure.   And a tough little runner...

az... you're another one who's running really well, having a training partner's a good thing, eh? 

adkkev

Rich - nice comeback so far!!  I like how you're mixing up the run/walk/bike riding ...

another 4.6 miles this evening around town ... a little slower than at lunch time & a little longer than I'd planned but hey, it was beautiful out so why not enjoy it!!

rmcj001

adkkev - who double workout!  We're going to start calling you hardcore - like Chantilly!

Rich - Sounds like rehab is going well.  Nice pup!  We've got 3 rescues as well, although I think ours weigh a bit more 

Chantilly - Good to hear the back is improving!  Whatever it takes!

Az - Sounds like it was a good week.  Nice mileage!

Debra - The 10K series sounds fun.  You'll do great!

Fletch - Hope the rehabilitation is going well.

Altair, MKay & WDRich - Hope your training is going well.

Took the weekend off and sent DS2 back to GATech.  8.5 miles today, should have felt better with all that time off, but...Sometimes time off is just time off.  Guess I should have been more active...

Ray

adkkev

Ray - nice 8.5 miler!!  Even if it was a little harder than you expected, it's still a good idea to take a break now & then.

Another beautiful day here in upstate NY ... so 3.25 miles at lunch time, this time "around the block" near our office building.  And yeah, it's a "big" block!

WDWRich

Well done everyone!  Keep up the good work,

Intended to do 7 miles Saturday morning, but developed a quad/groin strain early on and cut off at 3.1 miles.  Not sure where the strain came from, but going to take a few days off from running and maybe get out again on Thursday.  Strength training yesterday was no problem, so at least I can keep up with that.

Rich

PRs:  9/1/2012 Disneyland 5K 27:08,  01/06/2013 Resolution 15K 1:30:17, 03/10/2013 San Diego HM 2:18:05, 04/19/2014 ACT! Today 10K  51:54

Crazy Diamond

adkkev~Nice double - continue to enjoy your great weather.

NHRich~Sounds like Sim is catching on to walk/jog just fine.

Ray~I'll bet your next run will be much better.

WDWRich~Hope the rest days help the strain.  Great you can get in the strength training.

Took today as a rest day since I ran with my friend yesterday.  DS2 and I got in an hour bike ride before heading to the mall to shop for a few items for the school year and lunch.  More thunderstorms will be roaring in overnight.  Last night was a loud one!

Quo Vadis?

adkkev

another 3.85 miles on the nature trail this evening ... gotta take advantage of this nice running weather!!  7.1 miles for the day.

Chantilly75

NH Runner Sim did well on his long run! I didn't know a smaller dog would go for that long. Nice double workout for yourself, there.

adkkev A good way to spend your lunch hour!  That IS a big block to run around. Good to still go out in the evening.

rmcj001 A little staleness after some time off is to be expected.  Fitness stays "in the bank" longer than we think.

WDWRich Sorry about your strain.  Hope it heals up quickly.

gito57 Migraines commonly  lessen as we grow older, sorry to hear that it isn't true in your case, because they sure are miserable.

Yes, I guess we all try whatever it takes to get better.  The trouble with acupuncture is that it doesn't help right away, so if I feel better after a couple weeks, was it the acupuncture treatments or the reduced mileage?

Ah, the old shopping for school supplies, kinda miss that....

7 miles on the track in NB1080v4, my heaviest, most cushioned shoe.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

adkkev

3.15 miles at lunch time ... a bit warmer & muggier today but there was a decent breeze to help keep me from overheating.

Crazy Diamond

adkkev~Nice double again yesterday and great you're able to run at lunch time.  Shower facilities at your office? 

Chantilly~Great 7 miler!  If the NBs help to cushion and prevent pain, it's worth toting around a few extra ounces, eh?  I should've put "chronic migraines" in past tense.  You're right, they have lessened since the days I lost an average of 14 days/month for around 7 years.  Occasionally, I'll still get a whopper.  It may be a coincidence, but my migraine's intensity, duration and frequency fell off right after I began running 4 years ago!  More likely, it was hormonal!

Ran 7 miles on the paved bike path w/ DS2 on his bike.  Went out around 10:30am to acclimate to the 82F w/  high humidity.  Carried iced water in hand-held and DS2 carried some diluted Gatorade for me.  1 mile easy, 10:53, 10:36, 10:29,10;26,10:31, 10:49, final mile easy.  The path is fairly shady the first 1.5 mile, the next 2 miles is open prairie to the turnaround.  Just a bit of a trial run for the HM I'm running as a training run this weekend.  It will have similar conditions.

Run strong, friends!

Quo Vadis?

NH Runner

Tuesday, 8/19... 3 mile railtrail run, splits were 12:08, 11:26 and 11:05.   I left Sim home, didn't want him to get a complex if he couldn't keep up with the blistering pace I was running...

Wednesday, 8/20...10 mile mtn bike ride on the railtrail in 46:20.    Footing on the trail is soft in some places, similar to riding on a beach and great for working your legs.   Ended up getting in a good workout.

adkkev... thanks.   Nice running lately.  And doubles?   Good for you...

ray... the dog's skinny, but we'll fix that.   I could always give him some of the extra I've put on in the last couple of months...

WDW... take care of that strain!

gito... I think Sim will make a good training partner for shorter runs, he's a little out of shape so we'll make a great team...    Do you ride the bike much?   Sometimes after a hard run, the bike works great as a substitute for a recovery run.  Nice run today!

Chantilly... yes, Sim's holding his own.  The picture of him is a little deceiving, he's bigger than it appears.

justrundan

Wow, take some vacation, then too tired to be up early, then too busy with work, suddenly 5 days without a run!  Should get out tomorrow morning early unless thunderstorms are too close.  DS & I have the Cheesehead Run in Hilbert, WI this Saturday, so just going to take it easy tomorrow and Friday, loosen up and hopefully haven't lost too much during this down time.

deb- you are really going to be ready for the HM next month!  Way to keep the miles up.

And speaking of miles, Chantilly, you just keep racking them up, sore back and all.

Rich- hope the quad heals quickly.

Ray- nice 8.5.  Your inactive is my active!

Thanks for all the well wishes on the MC trip- Friday-Sunday was one of the more relaxing times I've had recently.  We found a lovely cabin on the edge of Boulder Jct, WI and enjoyed riding some of the rural roads in that area.  Just didn't ride enough of them.  

You all inspire me to keep going; after missing so many days i find it frustrating, but you help me get back out there.!  Thanks!!

Dan

NH Runner

Thursday, 8/21... 2 mile walk / jog on the railtrail with Sim today.   With splits of 13:49 and 13:02, I may change his name to Dillydallydog.   It's constantly, "Wait, I gotta pee!"  "Wait, I gotta poop!"  "Whoa, let me smell this for a minute!"  

Debra - Great job getting in your runs with all the driving duties, etc! Yes, I am happy to know what is wrong. I'm way past that time when learning I was flawed got me depressed. Six 10ks is a big goal but sounds like lots of fun! Your speed is impressive!! Running on newly paved paths make me feel so special, like someone invited me to a premier. Glad you're feeling some fall temps! Oddly, I was up with those thunderstorms, also and then last night.

Altair - nice of you to share!

AZ - Glad you're over those sniffles! you got some good miles in even with your cold!! 34.5 weekly miles is great!! training for a Du? Nice!! You said, "Hope the doc learned to be more diligent…" Nope, he argued with me that he was right and I just shook my head. Again. I have to stop complaining and find another office!! I am trying to follow guides about absorption. Yes, the humidity is a drag, literally! Nice about the bug free six miler on Sunday!

adkkev - I know the area in NY near where you live (I think). Had to travel to Niskayuna a bunch 2007-2009. It was so lush with green that I never knew where I was. Thank goodness, I never had to go in the winter!! Nice fall 6 milers along the canal and in the woods!! Great job getting those doubles in!! you must have nice weekly miles?

Chantilly - Now see it gets me angry to read that your doc told you you are too old to run marathons. It's like they're the expert in medicine so they're the expert in life? I don't think so! Ask any infant's mother whether she calls the doctor or asks another mother when she wants advice about kid's crying. Hope your sciatica paid eases up! that sounds quite annoying!! numbness and tingling sounds serious! pulling the weeds and pushing the mower is some new form of pilates? It must have been quite special to see the double rainbow!

Ray - What are you calling interval training? I'm trying to figure out the difference between that and my speed work or fartleks. Nice miles!! Big weather swings! Sometimes a run is just a run. Hope your next runs feel better!

NHRich - What a sweet dog!! You were so fortunate to get him! Kinda surprised he made it with you for 2 miles. I'm tired after a 1/4 mi. with my terror. Looking for dog meds to calm him down. Sad about Sim's owner. Glad to see you're progressing!! You'll build up your miles quickly once you get over the initial transition back. Biking is a really wise choice for rehab!! Yeah, I'm familiar with those wait, I have to pee stops.

WDWRich - So sorry to hear of your muscle pull and glad you can still do strength training! Good move cutting back!! Hopefully it will heal quickly!

Dan - Glad you had a great time! So you and DS are wearing foam cheeseheads, right? Pix pls! Progress back is slow and frustrating.

I jog/walked a race (10k) Sunday that I completed in 2012 with a better time then but was able to jog more on Sunday than Saturday. 4 mi Interval speed work on Tuesday at the gym without the inhaler. After warmup, started at 4:1 and ended at 2:1 with 14:30 being the fastest speed. My HR was around 127 until 2.6 and then it jumped to 167! Stayed high during jogs for the rest of the run. Yesterday repeated this with the inhaler and felt stronger. Complete 5 mi and speeds were slightly faster. I sprinted twice during the last mile and was able to jog all four miles. HR was 140 after first 20 min of walking then 170 during first jog. It was 180 during last jogs but I didn't feel the same fatigue that I felt the night before with 167 HR. Go figure. I am just trying to measure improvement so I won't lose motivation but what I see is the measure of how weak I was compared to two years ago.

Run safe and strong, all!!

Mary Kay

2013 Race PRs: FM - 6:30; 5k - 36:39; 10k - 1:24:06; HM -2:57:32

Persistence can change failure into extraordinary achievement - Matt Biondi

I am an extraordinary achievement - Me  

And after all that whining, I had a strong run tonight. It was short (5k) and slow but I didn't feel I had to walk because of breathing or faintness, just to get more distance. After a 6 min warmup, i walked 2 min after each mile except the third when I walked a min in the middle. I do not remember the last time I was able to do that. I know I haven't been able to do it since spring. Nice!

Mary Kay

2013 Race PRs: FM - 6:30; 5k - 36:39; 10k - 1:24:06; HM -2:57:32

Persistence can change failure into extraordinary achievement - Matt Biondi

I am an extraordinary achievement - Me