50 and over 5k and beyond

August Runs and Workouts (Read 21 times)

NH Runner

Friday, 8/22... 4 mile railtrail run without Mr.DillyDally, splits were 11:06, 10:22, 10:09 and 9:57.   There was a little discomfort in my leg, but it never got any worse so I just went with it.   I'm gaining...

mK... congrats on the 10K and 5K, those were good workouts that'll keep you strong.   Good for you!  

adkkev

Rich - good news on the leg!!!  Keep up the slow come-back ....

4.15 miles for me at lunch time around the parking lots & sidewalks near work .... misty drizzle but that made it relatively cooler in the humid air.

Chantilly75

adkkev You're continuing to get in some nice runs.

gito57 Wow! That was some bad migraine history.  Glad it is better now. One good thing about getting older?

Good luck on your HM (distance) this W/E!

NH Runner ....a dog's gotta do, what a dog's gotta do.....

mKayc Congratulations on your 10 Km!  Good to hear that you feel a little better.

I don't know about those heart rate monitors sometimes. I think they can be inaccurate just from rubbing on the shirt, sweat, loss of contact, whatever.

My heart rate was 150's to 160 for a 10 Km I ran and I could not breathe any more or run any faster; so that was a maximum effort for me,  but sometimes on a training run it would say 180 and I checked my pulse and it was not 180. 

justrundan  You have had some nice holidays....but, time to get to work, er, training...

12 miles on the track.

12 minutes stationary bike.

1 mile run

1 mile walk.

Ozzie was in my ears singing " I don't wanna stop, all fired up, I'm gonna go till I drop"

The Beatles promised a "Magical Mystery tour"

Then Blue Oyster Cult sang "Don't fear the Reaper" 

Acupuncture in the afternoon.

Next 3 days off due to work.

"dancing on the path and singing, now you got away,

you can reach the goals you set from now on, every day"

Sonata Arctica

rmcj001

Chantilly - Some nice runs there.  Yeah, my heart rate monitor took about a mile to really sync in and be accurate.  You could tell by the consistency of the readings.

Rich - Be careful with the leg.  Just be honest with yourself about the pain.  In the long run, an extra week off won't hurt.  If it isn't getting worse, that's good.  If it feels better, that's even gooder 

MK - good that you're getting in some good work outs and runs!  keep it up.

Dan - Good vacation!  Which BMW do you have?  High school friend's dad had r65 and r85.  Time to get to work on the HM?

adkkev - You're getting a lot of runs in these days!  That's gotta feel good.

Debra - Migraines - sounds like you had it tough.  I know what a really bad one can do and even the lesser ones can be pretty debilitating.  Coffee and autumn used to be big triggers for me.

WDRich - Take care of the strain.  You'll be back at it before you know it.

Tuesday, night run 8.1 in 1:08:12 - last 2 full miles were at very fast pace and felt easier then the slower paced miles.  Too dark to go really fast, but wasn't too bad.

Wednesday, nice slow recovery like run - 8.5 in 1:16:19.

Thursday, warmed up a bit and ran a quicker 8.6 in 1:09:42 - temp was 86F

Friday, still a bit tired from Thursday and DS1 off to China, 10.4 miles in 1:29:02 and only 84F...

Ray

NH Runner

Saturday, 8/23... 10 mile mtn bike ride on the railtrail in 47:29.   A good pace considering the conditions...

ray...it's day to day with the leg.   It's healed enough so it shouldn't get worse, mostly rehab now 'til I get back up to speed.   I ran yesterday, rode today and will take tomorrow off.   Solid runs for you the last 4 days, nice!

adkke....thanks!

Chantilly... what's the point of sitting on a stationary bike, shouldn't it be moving?    You're running well, is there a race in the near future?

Hi everyone! Been a few days since my last post. Let's see .......ran 6.1 miles last Sunday with trail running friend on mtn bike trail; sporadic downpour on Monday, was dressed to run but after a couple of tries, I just called it a rest day.  Got call from DH's family that DH's father (my FIL) had another heart attack.    Deep long history of heart problems on both sides of his family, poor health, self-induced problems, etc. DH called hospital, 5 stents replaced, he's recovering.  So we decided to leave Tuesday morning.  I got up EARLY and ran 8.2 miles.  I have NOT run since!!    We drove for 6 hours to North Dakota, visited with FIL at hospital, and drove another 2 hrs to stay with family friend.  DH and FIL's GF do not get along. No safe place to run and it rained a couple of days.  Since my brother and his GF were flying into Fargo on Fri, we stayed in ND until Fri and drove to Fargo instead before driving home to MN.  They will be visiting till end of month.  YAY!!  So good to have family!!  That's the good news.  Sad News:  our dog, Odie, has been having problems since last winter and I've shared with you his antibiotic treatment that his Vet gave for Lyme Disease re-occurrence but DH kept telling them it must be something else.  Radiograph showed 'something,' possible tumors ....... but an ultrasound would be better and Fargo vet had them.  We have been discussing the worst scenario lately and what we want done.  So while waiting for brother/GF flight to arrive, we took Odie to Vet.  The ultrasound showed large growing cancerous nodules on spleen and liver.    We are  heartbroken but we suspected it.  So for now, just keeping Odie as comfortable as possible; not definite on how much time he has left but it doesn't sound very long.  Odie doesn't 'look' or 'sound' like he's in pain and Vet says it varies but the worst may yet to happen ......but he could also just go in his sleep anytime.  Just sad news.  Just the most amazing dog we ever had.  He's about 14 yrs old.  Yep, he lived a long and spoiled life .

adkkev

Az - so sorry to hear about your dog ...

5.5 miles late this evening on the nature trail ... cloudy, cool, still a bit muggy.  Just me & 5 rabbits on the trail ... not another soul.

Crazy Diamond

NHRich~Mr. Dillydallydog is just trying to keep you from pushing too much!   Re: Thanks for the reminder about biking, I really need to implement it more. I used to ride a lot more, but running has taken over!

Dan~Boulder Jct. is a beautiful part of our state.   Hope you and DS enjoyed the Cheesehead. I’ve heard it is a fun race.

mKayC~Look at the big improvement you’ve made! Congrats on the 10k and the strong 5k run. You’ve persevered through so much the past year. I believe you've turned the corner. Keep on, keepin’ on! Have you noticed any effects from the thyroid medication?

adkkev~You’re on a lunch-time running roll!

Chantilly~Awesome 12 miles + biking! You had some great music motivation with Ozzie, Fab 4 and BOC - more cow bell! 

Ray~Strong running, and in those temps, too!  How long is DS1 staying in China?

AZ~So sorry to hear about FIL, hope his recovery is going well. And Odie … so sad. Our furry pals have a hold on our hearts, and those hearts break as we have to say good bye. Give him a soft pat on the belly from me.   I’m so glad I got to meet and spend time with him during the relay in April. (((hugs))) to you and DH.

Ran running club’s half marathon this morning to get my 13 mile (Garmin says 13:23) training run in. Course was 1 loop (4 miles) around the park, then 9 miles out and back on a bike path. Race included 8 water/Gatorade stations, SS tech t-shirt, BIG finisher’s medal, post race breakfast/goodies, hipster polka band and beer.  All held at one of the two new Munich-inspired beer gardens located in our county park system. All for only $25 for club members -  not too shabby for a fully supported training run with perks!  Weather was 73F with 86% humidity, 67DP and dense fog. Has to be what the Amazon rainforest feels like!  Thankfully, the cloud cover never lifted or the rising temps could have been awful. Forced myself to maintain 11:00 – 11:15 pace which is a challenge when others are racing. Took 3 extended walk breaks for Gatorade/water at 4.5, 8 and 10 miles. Picked it up the last 3 miles to hmp.  This was the hilly section of the course!  Finished in 2:29 - have to keep reminding myself,  it was a training run!

Run strong, friends!

Quo Vadis?

justrundan

Cheesehead HM relay- Very foggy as DS and I drove to little Hilbert, WI.  I picked up race packet yesterday on way to DS & DDIL home.  DW decided at last minute to go with, so I didn't take the motorcycle.  (Really glad I didn't have to ride it home today.)  DW and DDIL went to farmers market in Appleton after they walked/jogged 4 miles.  The Cheesehead was well organized and a nice little race.

Ray,  Chantilly, you are both so right.  I really need to get to work on my HM training.  The 6.75 I did today was not pretty, and not pleased with the time, but it tells me where I'm at, so that's good.  DS started out, and right after the start 2 school buses took the relay participants to the half-way point.  DS came chugging in just about when I predicted and we exchanged the bib holder and I was off.  I had hoped to average just under 10 min/mi but did not make that.  As Deb said, it was cloudy/foggy and very humid.  But the temp didn't go up, so that was fortunate.  First 3 miles of my run were on packed gravel rail trail, then on roads.  The had the road closed off and volunteers at every intersection to control/stop traffic when necessary.  Very much appreciated.  My half of the HM was slightly longer; DS finished in about 1:04, my section was about 1:09.  Gotta work on that!     The meal afterward was amazing, far and away the best I've ever seen after a race.  One of the major sponsors was a restaurant in Hilbert, and they had roll with pork, salad, an egg/mushroom casserole, potatoes, grilled cheese, yogurt, ice cream and chocolate mile.  And I had some of it all!!    That's the way to end a race day!

Ray- I ride an R1200RT, very nice sport touring bike.  2005

AZ- so sorry to hear about FIL, so good some family will be with him for a while.  And sorry to hear about Odie.  And I'm sure you have spoiled him, good for you.

Deb- nice training run!!  and a steal of a price!  That humidity was tough though!  You are going to be in good shape for the Brewer minimarathon.

Tomorrow is supposed to be "stretch and strengthening" on my training schedule.  with the predicted high of 91 and humid, I'll be glad to do that in our basement!

Enjoy your weekend folks.

Dan

Altair5

Runs in the rain

.Hello All!

Ray - I looked at the Hanson books online at Amazon, as some of the comments there say it is a advanced training plan for a dedicated runner. I just don't have the time to run everyday or make my short runs be 80% of my weekly total. I am not sure about not having a rest day or no alternate training, but you can't argue with success and you are doing consistent moderately long runs of 8 miles or so with good paces.

Debra - some nice runs you had along the paved bike path with some cool temperatures. It is fun to see things emerge from a fog. Good luck with all those races and have fun with the training HM.

Mary Kay - Small increases in my distance that are hardly noticeable are how I want to train. Glad to hear that you are improving, despite the thyroid problems. To work through difficulties makes you a stronger person.

WDWRich - You should have just wore a little piece of a costume, like a cape or some face paint, just for the fun of it! I hope your strain gets better quickly.

AZ - Glad that you FIL is recovering from his heart attack and I wish your dog has some quality time with you before he passes, 14 dog years is a long time! It is hard running in the heat and humidity, but sweating helps get rid of toxins and maybe it helps fight off the remenents of your cold! And I am now glad to have some hills, I lived on the south shore of Long Island NY up until 2003 and it was all flat so doing hills was new to me. I do however miss running on the boardwalks next to the ocean, seeing all the different people walking along and looking out at the waves.

adkkev - Nice to be able to run during your lunch hour, don't you get sweaty? We also have some canal locks near here up in Rochester NY and there is a nice trail along the canal, but I have not yet run along it and mostly do runs starting from my house.

Chantilly - I hope that back feels better, you seem to know what you need to do. At least you are able to keep running. I think I have problems with my upper back between my shoulder blades, it makes cracking noises when I twist it and sometimes my hands feel tingly or numb, mostly if I lie down on one side for too long but also sometimes when I'm running. My doctor had me go for nerve tests where they stuck needles into my arm and hands and sent electric shocks into me! They said I have carpel tunnel in my wrists, but I still think the problem is in my back!

Dan - Hope you and DS had fun in your Cheesehead run! I don't think you lost a lot in having a break from running for a few days. Sounds like you had a nice time on your trip.

Rich - You are making a good recovery and it is best to take it slow. Nice to have a canine partner on your runs, I used to take my friends dogs out for runs. They do insist on stopping for sniffing or going to the bathroom!

I took a rest day Wednesday the 13th after my long run. Thursday the 15th it was sunny, but cool and breezy, I did 3.87. Saw an airplane doing some stunts! Friday increased a little to a 6 mile run. Saturday I was going to run but some trees had fallen in my yard in the wet, windy weather and I worked with my neighbor to cut them up and clean up debris. The big one he has a friend with a big chainsaw who will come to cut it up, soon I hope! Sunday another 3.87 miles and 4.15 Monday. Tuesday was a day off work for me and I left early afternoon for my long run of the week, I planned to do a bit over 13 miles. A sunny day, about 82 degrees at start. I saw a blimp low on the horizon, I had to look twice to be sure it wasn't just a dark cloud. I soon lost my view of it behind a line of trees. From mile 2 to mile 4 1/2 the course climbs about 150 feet. Now I was out in farm country and heard some frogs jumps into the drainage ditch as I ran along the road. The next mile was very scenic with some nice distant views of the valley. Heard the cry of what must have been a hawk flying into the woods and saw a group of turkey vultures circling over the field. The next mile dropped off about 50 feet in height. Now was the hard part, the next mile and a half goes uphill a bit less than 300 feet and the start of this is very steep! My pace slowed to a tiny shuffle, but I continued on without taking a rest stop like I usually do, I thought it would be good training for my HM on the 31st. I made it to the high point of my run at the 7 mile mark, mostly downhill from here! I saw another runner going the other direction and stopped for a minute to talk with him. He also was doing a 13 mile run that day, his route being closer to the lake area, but passing me at this point. We wished each other a good run and I continued, now feeling a bit fatigued. I don't know if it was brain fog or what, but I became confused as to where my next road was. This course is convoluted and I had a little hand-drawn map to help me, but the road when I got to it was unmarked. Unsure, I ran up it a sort ways and it did not seem familiar so I turned back to the road I was on before and continued. I was thinking my turn was further along. I soon realized I had made a mistake, but it was too late to retrace my route again. I ended up like cutting off a corner of my course and instead running a diagonal line back to my house. I was disappointed that I had made a mistake and cut about a mile off my intended run. But maybe my subconscious was telling me something because I ran out of steam by my last mile and it was a struggle not to slow down and walk, I just managed to shuffle along like I was doing on that steep hill. I was hot and tired when I finished. It was now about 85 degrees. I took a dip in my pool and relaxed. Anyway, I had made a new course for myself of 12.11 miles! I was very unhappy with my pace, it took 2 hours 51 minutes, a 14:08 pace. The week before I did a similar distance in a 12:18 pace. What went wrong? Well, I climbed about an additional 100 feet or more of hills on this run, one being rather steep. It was also hot and a bit humid with little shade on a very sunny day. I just had 2 mugs of tea before my run, should have drank a glass of water or taken some beverage with me on the run. Heat and dehydration can definitely work to slow you down. I also would have done better if I had more long training runs and more time to gradually increase my millage on the long run. Legs sore, rested Wednesday, then did a 3.87 on Thursday at a 12:05 pace and my legs were still very sore so I took another rest Friday and then did a 4 mile run today. I felt much better and stronger and finished in 42 minutes 4 seconds, like a 10:31 pace which is not bad for me right now. Perhaps My difficult run did me some good in my training. I have no time to try a 13 mile run now before the HM and I think it best to taper down to some short runs, maybe a 7 mile run next Tuesday.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
                      Get up, get out, get out of the door!

NHRich - great times for your four miler!! Nice biking, too! Isn't the leg bound to hurt a little?

Adkkev - Great runs in spite of the heat!! You were smart waiting until the evening!

Chantilly - You are so right; HR monitor times are really all over the place, particularly on gym equipment. I did HR training for four months so I wore my own monitor at the gym and learned which machines were closer to accurate but they are really only reliable for trends. How did today's compare to yesterday's?

These HR times you are reporting sound possible. Consider how long it takes to manually check your pulse. My HR can drop from 168 to 128 in 20 seconds. If it takes you 20 seconds to count out your pulse .... I think we can expect to have higher rates when more physically fit (I may have read that) and the important part is whether your rate drops quickly when you slow down. I could be wrong.

I was really only recording HR to measure progress because improvement from the thyroid med was so subtle in the beginning and then I started reporting the HR results because there's such a big gap between what the HR charts say we should have for a 75% effort and what I really have. My reading at aerobic level has been around 127-130 for years so I'm assuming the charts are based on Martians and we need to make our own average ranges.

Great 12-13 miler and good tunes!! Sounds like a strong day at the gym!!

Ray - Jeese, you are running some amazing miles! 8.5 to recover from an 8 miler, then another 8.4 and 10+! Great weekly total!! Saying goodbye, rough!! Sad

AZ - I am so very sorry about Odie!! ((Hugs)) to you and DH. I know he will be in your hearts long after he's gone. It seems like it hasn't been that long since you were in ND with FIL's last hospitalization? Hope he's recovering well!! Glad you're visiting w brother and GF!!

Debra - that's a Great HM time!! Congratulations!! Sounds like rough conditions for extended running, too! I have been reporting on HR and jogging time to measure improvement. Though its subtle, I am feeling stronger, thank you!

Dan - Congratulations on your awesome HM! 2:14 is fantastic time!! If you had to let DS win, 5 min is perfect, just close enough to remind him that you were faster because your run was longer. If it were me and my daughter, I'd have to let her win, the price of peace. Definitely stay out of the heat!

Altair - thanks for the support! "To work through difficulties makes you a stronger person." Yes but is there a choice? I have a PhD in this and I may need to protect myself from getting more.

Do not worry; you will kill your HM! A 12 mi training run is more than enough preparation!! Rest now is way more important to your performance than miles!! "Should have ...taken some beverage with me on the run." You didn't really run without hydration I hope? That is much too long in any weather, much less summer heat, to be running without water!

So I jog/walked two hours (8.16 Tmiles) yesterday! The longest I have been able to do that in recent memory is 2.65 mi. I completed the first 20 miles of the Marine Corps marathon last September (walked 6) and that's the last time I remember feeling healthy. I did two 20 milers back to back on NYE/NYD but felt like I had a flu and walked the last 7 miles of each. It's been downhill since! Considering this latest turn, it was a miracle that I pulled 13 mm for you guys during the relay! So glad to start coming back!! Looking forward to getting into a real training routine and meeting some expectations!

Run strong and safe, all!!

Mary Kay

2013 Race PRs: FM - 6:30; 5k - 36:39; 10k - 1:24:06; HM -2:57:32

Persistence can change failure into extraordinary achievement - Matt Biondi

I am an extraordinary achievement - Me  

dammit ..........lost a really nice post!! ugh!!   Will respond later .........

Crazy Diamond

Ray~Hope all are safe and sound!

Took NHRich's advice and did a 20 mile recovery bike ride with DH this morning.  Beautiful ride --  thanks, Rich!  ITB remains tight from yesterday's long run, more foam rolling and stretching today.  DS2 and I headed to LRS for new XC spikes in the afternoon.  He measures a size 14 which they do not carry in stock and have to be ordered.  Hopefully, he'll have them before the first meet.  Celebrated a new school year with a stop at the frozen yogurt place next door.  Espresso and Salted Caramel -- oh, ya! 

Have a great week everyone!

Quo Vadis?

Cloudy with sporadic light rain this morning ........my brother (DB) and his GF rode our mtn bikes while I ran.  GF cycles more than she runs.  She finished a 50 mile ride a couple of weeks ago from CO to NM with my other brother and his wife, IMPRESSIVE!!  Anyway, my DB took a different route to go longer while GF stayed with me to get familiar with my running route near home so they will know if they go by themselves.  Pretty muddy areas from the rain the last few days on the dirt road to the nearby lake.  The cool breeze in the shade was NICE ......good steady run for an hour, finished 6.5 miles, YAY!!

altair:  that sounded like one tough run.  High temps/humidity does affect pace.  I know my body shuts down when I don't hydrate.  I focus on quality miles versus junk miles especially on long runs.  Sometimes body prefers a short tough workout than a long dragged out sluggish run.  Way to hang in there!  Good luck on the HM.

Deb:  Yippee on the good training run.  The yummy food and goodies sounds like it was worth the 13 miles!

Chantilly:  Just have to shake my head ....."12 miles around the track" .......still amazing girl!

Dan:  Way to Go on the finish!! Dad and Son activities will make cherished memories!!  Good to know what needs work to run those miles, keep it up! Congrats to you and DS!

adkkev:  I love the solitude and stillness on trails; your running trail sounds so energizing.

Rich:  Your biking miles will certainly strengthen your running muscles; glad to know you're doing well.

Ray:  sounds like you're fully recovered and getting some great mileage!  Take care.

Kay:  glad to know that things seem to be more in balance; thyroid problems do affect energy levels; keep your chin up! Are you training for another race?