50 and over 5k and beyond

December 2015 Runs and Workouts (Read 7 times)

rmcj001

7.1 miles on TM last night watching Rudolph...

Had to put out the garbage this morning, so was up earlier then usual and the sunrise was gorgeous. Amazing what a few clouds and the right light can do! Thought briefly about waking DW to see it, but realized by the time she would have been able to get outside the amazing colors would be gone 

Ray

NH Runner

Thursday, 12/3... it's been raining here since Tuesday, so took the last couple of days off.    Ran 6 on the railtrail late this morning when the rain finally let up.    Not the best running conditions after so much water, but it was nice to get out.     Pace was low to mid 9:00's.

Ray... it's pretty quiet around here lately, our little group keeps shrinking.   You did well to get 7.1 in on the TM, WTG!

Art in AZ

I agree it's pretty quiet here. Wonder what everyone is up to? I've been wondering where everyone has gone for a while now. Is there another list or is having this is a forum not such a good idea now. When it started there were a lot of us that moved over. Now, how would older runners find us if they didn't know we existed?

Low week so far. 11 lousy miles.

8 miles Sunday. Then busy with work Monday through Wednesday. Got 3 miles in Thursday before work and stuff. Nothing today but I hope to get out over the weekend.

Ray - Running and watching TV on the treadmill is one way of 'zoning out' to get the miles in.

Rich - The weather here has been nice for running in the morning. Too bad work has gotten in the way here.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

rmcj001

Thursday night, 7.2 miles on TM watching junk on TV. Think I've got the winter blahs.  Had some rain sweep through Thursday morning. Friday unscheduled rest day - just didn't feel it.

Looking at the forecast for tomorrow in Sacramento shows rain  highly likely for first hours of race with highest chance at 7am (start time).

Rich - Yes, it has been a bit quiet. I think the group energy level is down a bit.  Wonder what Dark Horse is doing these days?...

Art - Last week was pretty dismal here too (running wise), this week will be a bit better.  But, only because I have marathon on Sunday. Work has been a bit busier here too, tho we're trying to get some group runs going again.

Ray

Art in AZ

5 miles this morning. Nice sunny crisp day for a run.

Ray - Good luck tomorrow. Hope the rain is finished before the start of the race.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

NH Runner

Saturday, 12/5... took yesterday off, ran 6 on the railtrail today.    Just beyond the first mile I caught a toe on a rock partially imbedded in the dirt and went down hard.    Put my hands out to break my fall, jammed my little finger and scraped my left knee.    Not much you can do but shake your head when this stuff happens, so I walked back to the 1 mile mark, reset my watch and resumed the run.    Ran the first 4 miles in 10:14, 8:59, 8:30, 9:06, walked some in mile 5... 9:54 and finished with a 9:03.

art... you're still doing ok, I've read 10 miles a week is enough to maintain fitness.    Sometimes that's enough, eh? lol

Ray... I agree, everyone's busy with the holidays.    I'll keep posting as long as there's an interest, it only takes a minute.    I wonder about Chantilly, as steady as she was, maybe she's gotten hurt.    Haven't seen a post from Dark Horse since he bailed out of Cool Running.     At any rate, good luck with the tomorrow's weather!

NH Runner

Sunday, 12/6... 4 mile railtrail run today, pace was 9:00's.    Wife went to a "Cookie Swap" today and came home with enough cookies to feed an Army...

justrundan

Still around,mostly lurking. Some TM walking, cough almost gone but if I run much it still comes back.

Everyone have nice weeks.

Dan

NH Runner

Monday, 12/7... 5 mile out and back through the local covered bridge today, after a short warm-up.    We're having really nice weather lately, today's temp was close to 50 with no wind, perfect for a run.    Quicker pace for me, looking for a little "quality" in this run... 8:48, 8:21, 8:15, 8:04 and cooled the last mile in 9:31.

Dan... hang in there with the cold...

Art in AZ

No running Sunday but spent time in the yard pulling weeds, washing the car and a little garden work. Today was busy with work and another road trip to Holbrook Tuesday. Maybe I'll get some running in on Wednesday.

Rich - What kind of cookies?  Weather here has been warmer than usual also. Suppose to cool down in the next couple of days.

Dan - Hang in there.

Art in AZ

Mesa, AZ

rmcj001

No running yesterday, just a couple of 3 mile walks to keep legs loose.  Here's a description of CIM that I wrote for Boston marathon thread:

Yesterday's CIM race felt warmer then last year's, but not much.  I remember shivering as we waited for the start, but not really yesterday. Things didn't go as well as I hoped, but not the best either.  I got a bit out ahead of the 3:35 pace group and when I saw pacers catch up I went with them.  Turned out it was the 3:30 group and I thought, well might as well go for it. I leaked out a bit in front of them just before the 1/2 way point.  When the BQ-3 group caught me at 14 miles went with them. Was feeling good that I was staying with them until mile 17 when we dropped to a 7:35 mile and kind of went "uh-oh". Mile 18 was 7:45 and I started to think, "I need to slow down or I'm going to blow up", too late.  So, I let them go and figured I try to stay with the regular group. They caught up to me at mile 20, but by then I knew I couldn't maintain anything close and was just hoping to finish around 3:35. Started to feel ill around mile 24 and hammies were feeling funny. Think the 3:35 group passed me here as a big cluster went by. Tried to give it a little extra as I approached the finish, but right hamstring started cramping and about 10 yards out had to slow almost to a walk. Finish time was 3:37:53, BQ - 2:07.

For scenery and interesting things to look at, this might be one of the worst courses. I think the pacers are pretty good and can be really helpful. Tho there was a bit of rain yesterday it wasn't too bad - my shoes are still wet.  It was just a tad warm for my preferences (I'm always surprised at the amount of clothes people wear).

I don't drink much out on the course and gotta admit I prefer Nuun over Gatorade, so that didn't bother me. But, I had 1 nuun at station 2 and then 4 waters (didn't finish any of them) and didn't feel thirsty, but I did cramp up at the end.

Ray

NH Runner

Wednesday, 12/9... took yesterday off, but legs were a little sore today, so ran just 3 easy miles on the railtrail.

Art... the cookie swap involved 8 women each cooking a batch of cookies to share with all the other participants.     So... my wife ended up bringing home 7 different batches of cookies, from chocolate chip to molasses and just about everything in between...lol    Somebody had to help eat the things and I'm reluctantly doing my part...

Ray... shooting for a 3:35 finish, your time seems pretty darn good to me.    I don't have to tell you, with everything that can go wrong, predicting a marathon time is slightly more complicated than doing it for a 10k.    It sounds like you ran the best race you could on that particular day, done in at the end, but solid most of the way.     Congratulations on a fine race!

rmcj001

Art - When running on TM w/o distractions, there's just too much time to think...It's winter, time to ease up and just try to maintain w/o losing too much. You're doing fine.

Rich - recovery 3 miles, sound like a good time of year for it.  On marathon pacing, I was trying to decide which pace group to go with and picked 3:35 at first. When I mistakenly got with the 3:30 group, I changed my mind and decided to go for 3:30. If I really wanted 3:35 I would have stayed with them and then I got greedy and tried to keep up with the BQ-3 3:30 pacer.  So, I kind of knew I was going to blow up, was hoping for a more gradual fade tho.  So, last 10K was just under and hour, 59:13 or 9:33 miles - just a little too positive of a split. I wasn't too disappointed - just not my best race.

Wed, 5 miles on TM in 42:35.

Ray

NH Runner

Picture has been removed....

justrundan

Well Rich, I would guess 223 has worse form, crossing arms over midline as he strides.  Did 954 win?

Ray- nice FM, as usual.

finally got back outside for a short run before the weather gets a little colder the next week.  Felt good to be outside and off the TM.

DS & DDIL coming home this weekend so we can all go to the dinner theater production that DW has done every December for 11 years.  The church we attend puts on "The Buzz in Bethlehem" and DW is the innkeeper's wife.  (She's the brains behind the operation!) 

Everyone have nice weekends.

Dan