800 Mile Club

Friday 12.27.19 Last Friday of the decade (Read 42 times)

Getting us started.  No real recap.  Generally good reports yesterday, including a picture of Steve that we can not be unseen!  Lots of family time, recovering from meals and driving from relative to relative.   It's all relative....

Enjoy your day off, those that have one.     I got out in the warm gloominess for 5.2 miles and that will do it for the day!

Christmas is 12 days, so Merry Christmas!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

Marathon Maniac #957

Morning, KSA.

Not a day off for me, but I am working remotely from home, so that's a little better.  I am still hacking and coughing and generally feeling a bit cruddy, but this is by far not the worst cold I have had, so I don't feel like I really have much room to complain.

30 minutes on the bike to nowhere for me today.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

KSA--wow, "last Friday of the decade" sounds so monumental!  Thanks for the start.

Quickadder--I looked it up. That's too weird for me.   I do have a ton of New Orleans-based music and some Cajun holiday tunes as well, though.

dnaff--The Rudolph thing was well done!

Holly--hope you're over the cold soon.

Our streak of brilliant blue skies came to an end today with some cloud cover on this very mild morning. I was so warm that I peeled off my shirt while stretching after my 5-miler.

Have a great weekend!

ETA: Side question for you mechanically-inclined...10-year-old Bosch dishwasher has been great, no problems. We usually use it once a day. On Thanksgiving (with extra cooking and dishes) it stopped fully draining, leaving water on the bottom. I drained with a wet vac. Filters were clear but I pulled the cover to rotate the impeller by hand (seemed fine) and checked the little flap valve (whatever that's called). Worked fine afterwards...until Christmas (which may just be a coincidence). More extra use, more water on the bottom. Repeated the checks and it works fine again. I never find any obstructions. Any theory about what might be going on? I can't find anything online about this particular set of circumstances. TriBee thinks it just doesn't like working holidays but I'm skeptical of that explanation.

Be safe. Be kind.

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Thanks for the start, KSA. Nice morning run.

Nice biking with a cold, Holly. I'm glad you can work from home today.

I went 6 RW miles in balmy 43° temps this morning. I would have worn short if I had packed any, but I didn't so I didn't. We're packing up and heading to Chester, NY (near Ribs' old stomping grounds) in about an hour to visit more relatives for an overnight. The journey continues.

Have a greta last Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Tramps—always listen to TriBee.

Tramps—always listen to TriBee.

Words of Wisdom! 

SteveP - That picture . . . 

Last Friday of the Decade - Dang . . .

I went for a power walk when I got home yesterday - a little over 4 miles in about 54 min.  On the return I threw in 1 min slow runs every few minutes until I had 5 of them.  The butt is not amused today.  I had better luck on the treadmill.  I'm guessing it's because the moving belt helps do some of the work.  Anyway, I won't be doing that again for awhile.  Guess I need to stick with my PT's recommendation of no running until I can jump rope for 5 min without any residual pain. (No, not 5 min w/out stopping)  I've been jump roping every other day, but definitely not anywhere close to 5 min.

That's it for now.  Enjoy ~~

Image result for happy friday images funny

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Falconfixer

Hey y'all, no o' Jay o'clock this Friday!  Even if I'd been in Prattville, the Y canceled classes this week.  Anyway, I got out for one lap of my 8.1 mile course.  Did it at an 8:20 pace.  Weather continues uncommon fair (sorry, I've been reading Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series).  Some cloud cover, but still delightful temps (mid-50s).  Afterwards, DW, DS#2 and I took their pups for a walk/run.  I had the younger one and she did her fastest 2 miles that I'm aware of....19:27.  I suspect if she weren't worried about the other pup (an older rescue German Shepherd) she might have been faster (which would likely have been very tough on me!).

I got some parts to repair my DW's bike (which I'll do, but I'm not sure she'll ride it that often) so that will take some of my time today.  Her birthday is tomorrow and that is part of her gift (main gift was a winter coat) but she did mention a desire to ride the bike again; I tried to make it rideable (I'm a pretty fair wrench) but the shifter (an old Grip Shift) was partially separated.  I was able to find a seven speed shifter on line (it's a Schwinn Paramount from the late 80s/early 90s) with old Dura Ace components (which shift very well with working shifters) so hopefully this won't take too too long.

Have a greta day everyone!

BTY

Tramps - check its union contract. 

2500 yards in the pool this morning.

1000 yards warmup, crawl, in 9:20 or so.    Swimming just a touch slower than yesterday's ~9:00 1000-yard repeats.   The effort was about the same so I can tell I'm a little tired from the extended effort.   Waited 1:40, then started the intervals portion.

10*100 yards in 1:30 with 1:30 rests, for 3:00 intervals.   I haven't done 100-yard crawl repeats in just about 1 year and wasn't sure what pace I should shoot for, but 1:30 is a nice round number.  The first two reps were 1:26, then 1:28, and then I started hitting them right on the nose, either 1:29 or 1:30 the rest of the way.    I would occasionally check the clock at 50 yards and would be around 42 seconds or so, and then adjust back to hit the target.   Noteworthy because there weren't any reps where I swam 46 seconds or slower and had to do a hard finish - basically steady effort throughout.   The only one that I pushed harder on was number 10 where I did a hard-ish finish to bring it in in 1:26 - same as the first one.  This effort felt similar to running 400-meter repeats on a track in 1:30 (6:00 mile pace) 

Finished with 500 yards alternating 50 yards breaststroke/50 yards backstroke, in 9:54.  Total workout time was 59:54.

About a month ago I happened upon a pace calculator that is similar to the MacMillan calculator I used for years when running.   I did the 50, 100, 200, 400 and 800-yard tests, and found out that I have a very high regression rate, meaning either I am built for sprints, or I have not developed my endurance and stamina very well....I tend to think that it's the latter...and I remembered that calculator this morning AFTER I completed the workout.     So I went back and checked my 1:29 - 1:30 pace against the recommended times for various effort levels, and found out that 1:29.00 is my target time for 100's in  Zone 4.  The various zones are Easy (2), Tempo (3), Threshold (4) and Fast (5 and 6).  Now I need to dig a little deeper and find out the recommended rest time between efforts when swimming at Threshold - my guess is that it's a (50% effort : 50% rest) ratio, and if so, I hit it right on the head......So in the new year, I intend to take advantage of this resource and design more effective workouts to become a better swimmer and a fitter me.  This is gratifying to me because I have been looking for something to affirm that my workouts are more than just an end unto themselves.   Unlike running, swimming is not a whole lot of fun.  This comes shortly after reading an article the other day that said that swimming 2 miles a day, 4 times a week, is an ideal fitness activity.   Woot!

Have a greta weekend, Runners!!

Brian

Joe618

Morning all!!   Last Friday of the decade...yikes...thanks Karen (I guess) for the reminder...sounds so austere and "final"! 

Tet, you asked about Swaziland and Lesotho.   The summary you pasted about Lesotho was very accurate.   It was a very harsh place, high in the mountains, with few resources...an accident of history in many respects.   Swaziland had a little more going for it, more arable land but has been fully decimated by the AIDS crisis.    They are both small, poor, hard places.   We lived there for almost six years while in our late 20s and feel that we gained about 20 years of experience in those six years.   Hard times are often good.   I began running while we lived there as well and ran my first half marathon and first two marathons there (started three, finished two). 

Tramps, I wonder about either a) the drain valve or b) something downstream from the dishwasher.   Since it worked when you only use it once per day, you could have a slow drain elsewhere that clears out in 24 hours but won't if you run two loads a day.    My only help.   And, as I read of Falcon (Mr. Super Wrench) describe how he's going to fix his wife's bike shifter with a bunch of parts he found on-line, I'd listen to his advice before mine. 

Hitting the road in a couple of hours for the HUFF 50K trail race tomorrow morning.   Need to pack and get all the fluids put together.   I like this race...in 2004, I ran their 10 mile loop option and it was the first time I had ever run on trails AND the longest I had run since my African days (see above).   I've been a fan of this event ever since.   Feel good going into it.   No time objective as the weather usually dictates trail conditions and trail conditions usually dictates time and effort.   And the temps are warm, so we'll have quite a few muddy stretches to navigate around.   Yet, the objective is to run well for the entire distance and I know what that feels like.   Haven't run well in a marathon/ultra since May, so hoping that's the case tomorrow.    I'll try to post a quick update when I'm done and will post full info on Sunday.

Rock your Friday, folks!!

________

I have nothing particularly clever or profound to add as a tag to each message...I just like to run.   

...mornin'........

finally

gotten everything settled down,

picked out my Best Orthotics,

and headed out for a (hopefulyy) Arch-Friendly work-out

the soccerfield  was full of Geese

Undaunted,

I strode out to do Battle

OR

Limp back to the car                              (it could have gone either way)

=========

...60-min RC.......arches held up, Geese held off.......

==========

to Celebrate,

here is one of my Favorite Stand-Ups

Dennis Wolfberg-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc1RAd81YV8

ETA-

Good Luck joe

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

the soccerfield  was full of Geese

Undaunted,

I strode out to do Battle

OR

Limp back to the car                              (it could have gone either way)

Have fun at the HUFF 50k, Joe!  I looked at their website saw this link to their famous soups

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Good luck at the Huff tomorrow, Joe!     That's so interesting about Swaziland.

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

dnaff

Good luck  Joe!

Slow day around here, grocery shopping, dog walking, some yoga.  My true workout has been endless loads of laundry.  With the house cleared of family, I have been greeted with mounds of sheets and towels.  Washer and dryer in the basement, linen closet on the 2nd floor.  My stair climbing could almost rival Tet!

evanflein

So I mentioned the last Friday of the decade comment somewhere else, and was scolded that nope, the new decade starts 2021. So next year is the last year of the decade, although it's true that this is the last year of the 20-teens. Whatever. I'm kind of looking forward to starting a new year.

It was -20° here at the house this morning, and by 11 a.m. it had dropped to -23° so got colder as the sun came up. Lovely. It should warm up though and be above zero by Monday I think. Maybe I'll get out for a run outside before New Year's! As it is, I only need 3.5 to hit my 2000 mileage goal for the year so will knock that out on the treadmill in a bit.

Good luck at Huff, Joe. I can't imaging running a 50k now. I ran 10 miles last week in Hawaii and it almost killed me (almost). Good thing there's lots of time to ramp up before I start more marathon foolishness...

Tramps, you run your dishwasher daily? And it's just the two of you? Wow... is it a small one? DH and I run ours maybe twice a week, maybe 3 times if we do extra cooking. And yes, we almost always cook at home. Maybe it's cuz we handwash our wine glasses and big pots? Don't know. We have a Bosch too, although it wears a Kenmore Elite label, and love it. It's over 15 years old though and some of the racks are wearing out but still works like a champ.

TammyinGP

out of the loop since i haven't been around to read the dailies for the last 3-4 days. sorry all.  Been pre-occupied with Christmas prepping, David sick, going to urgent care, blah blah blah.  He's on the mend now, but does have mono-hep. liver and spleen enlarged and jaundiced so was a bit more serious then just mono can be.  he's had two prior tests for it  - back over Tgvng when he was sick and we took him to urgent care and again up at school a couple wks ago when he was sick again. Guess you can have mono for a couple wks before it actually shows up positive in a test.

haven't even been able to run much but planning on heading out in about an hour for some trail running. I keep thinking it's gotta warm up some but probably not. it'll be a layered up day.

Tammy