A-Z Recipes

Ice Cream! (Read 335 times)

Hi! I don't post too much on the RA forums but I love to eat and cook so I had to join this group! Most of the recipes posted here sound SO GOOD. Anyway, my first thread HAD to be an ode to ice cream! Big grin I am not the most exact cook, so I need to tweak/figure out what the heck goes in my recipes before I post them. But I will and in the meantime I would love to see your ice cream recipes or other delicious ice cream experiences!
      Welcome meghan! I don't have any icecream recipes, but I've been on an icecream kick for about a month now. I should probably make my own the way we've been woofing it down lately! Is that your goat in your avatar?

skinnycaponesugar

I don't know how to make ice cream but I know you can mix plain ice cream with all kinds of goodies to create your own. My 5yo loves a cereal toping that has seeds and nuts, so we "fold" it into vanilla ice cream or yoghourt and add s swirl of honey (or maple syrup).

Love, Run, Sleep

I don't know how to make ice cream but I know you can mix plain ice cream with all kinds of goodies to create your own. My 5yo loves a cereal toping that has seeds and nuts, so we "fold" it into vanilla ice cream or yoghourt and add s swirl of honey (or maple syrup).
          We add things too! Our next conglomeration will be plain vanilla with oreos mixed into a milkshake. Just need to buy more Oreos as we ate them all at Easter!!
            That oreo shake sounds so good. There was a 50's themed restaurant where I grew up that had a mint ice-cream oreo shake and I still dream of it! I have recently been making my ice cream with skim milk, sugar and vanilla. I figured out that I do 1/4c sugar for every 1c of milk. It tastes really good when you eat it right away but when it freezes overnight it gets a little too icy. I think I need to use an egg, or something. Maybe whole milk or cream, something that will add a little fat to it! I tried to make caramel swirl ice cream yesterday and failed. Sad When I poured in the caramel, it froze up and got all hard and chewy! I wonder how I can make it liquidy, like the ice cream at the store?
              I found this "different" form of ice cream cake in a mag and my DH loves it! Its fun for kids too. I use the packs of mixed individual cereal boxes (the ones that have golden grahams, lucky charms, cheerios, etc) and put them all (depending on how much you are making) into a thick big ziplock bag. then you beat the hell out of it so its all broken down (but not completely obliterated) This is the part the kids would like. Put the mashed up cereal into the bottom of a glass baking dish (whatever size you want) Take somewhat-melted and mushy lo fat frozen yogurt and spread it on top of the cereal bits in a thick layer. Put the pan in the freezer and let it come back to normal ice cream consistency. Then I serve it like ice cream cake and drizzle it with chocolate syrup. it takes like 5 minutes to make and everyone thinks its neat to have all the different tasting and different colored cereal on the bottom.

Sweaty

This is the recipe that always prepared and I was very good, you do not need ice cream machine. 1 liter of water 16 to 20 tablespoons of powdered milk 1 tablespoon corn starch 1 tablespoon gelatin without flavor 150 to 250 grams of butter plant neutral 200 to 250 grams of white sugar 3 yolks 3 egg whites To flavour, cocoa, vanilla, rum fruit pulp, envelopes drinks instant dieticas if it is your preference, escencias or artificial flavors Procedure. 1 .- boiling water with milk and add sugar until dissolved - 2 .- moisturize gelatin in a little water and heat deep in micro or bain marie to be completely dissolved, add the gelatin to the milk. 3 .- Dissolve the starch in a little water and add to milk. Allow to boil the milk until bubbles I, a fire is not very high so it does not burn or spill milk 4 .- add fat removal and off the kitchen, moved with batidor hand. 5 .- liquefy the mixture immediately followed x 2 minutes, turn off the blender and let stand until lukewarm, re-liquefy again for 2 minutes more, we can liquefy up to three times until the temperature drops a little, add the yolks , liquefying and liquefy again until the mixture is almost cold. Covered with paper film egg whites in the refrigerator. 6 .- empty the mixture into a bowl of steel or aluminum, cover with aluminum foil or film. 7 .- lead the freezer, the freeze must be swift to prevent ice crystals or to separate the mixture. Importantly, the refrigerator must have an average temperature of -18 ° C -25 ° C This is the basic recipe for making the ice cream. For make the ice cream mix To have a proportion of the amount paid this basis for approximately 4 litres of ice cream. For half of the mixture will be used to be kept clear 3 above, (you must at room temperature. 3 more are needed for the other half. This mixture can be divided into 4 servings for four flavors. For beating egg whites. For every 3 egg whites a cup of sugar. (To get a clear spongy and very well aerated, it is desirable that the blades are very clean with no trace of fat as well as where the container will beat, to wake up a little first fight with a little sugar, sugar should be incorporated gradually, it may be in 3 parts for the sugar is dissolved well). It is advisable to beat the first clear before drawing the mix of ice cream base of the refrigerator to prevent it from being melted. When beaten egg whites, remove the ice cream mixture and divide in the amount you want half or a fourth quarter if it adds half of the beaten egg whites. Put the number based in mixing bowl chipping in smaller pieces. Beat vigorously until being wasted away at that time to add the flavor you want is liquid or powder, the amount of flavor is to taste stronger or milder but is by mixing approximately half an envelope for instant beverages, it is preferable to dilute a little mixture into 2 tablespoons water, beating until incorporated, and add clear movements Sheath Can be placed pulp natural fruit, chocolate, instant coffee or experimenting with new flavors, so if it is advisable that if the mixture tastes very liquid must incorporate into the mixture before adding the egg whites 1 or 2 tablespoons powdered milk, and then egg whites Mix with the clear enclosures movements to avoid losing air mixing. Citrus fruits are natural if they should add 1 / 8 teaspoon citric acid as a preservative, envelopes and bring preservatives. From my experience there is no exact amount of flavor the amount and intensity is to taste. After making the mixture cool again, aluminium packaging or special containers for ice cream or separate vessels, this is how you want better frozen. May be replaced by egg whites whipped cream, or chantilly. I hope I have been of help and try to explain as best I could, I hope you have luck to make it really easy if you follow the steps carefully. Certainly it is better to leave 2 days freeze the mixture base and a whole day after ready for the consistency right. Are really very creamy. Big grin
                I don´r suffer from insanity, I enjoy every single moment. L.L
                  wow, both sound so awesome. it's always good to have an ice cream maker free recipe! sometimes i make a version of the cereal ice cream cake too, it goes crushed oreos, chocolate syrup, icecream, oreos, syrup, ice cream....you get the point . Big grin ps. my avatar is not my goat (i don't have a goat)...but i wish it were.
                    Did I hear the words skim milk and ice cream in the same sentence?!?! Shocked I make icecream frequently, but am a fan of the "apply to the thigh" recipes!! I use heavy cream & whole milk in mine! Throw in a little pumpkin & spices in the fall, or some fresh peach preserves in the summer...mmmmm!! Sometimes I use peanut butter, or strawberry freezer jam, or oreos. We have a million varieties in our house.
                    So do not get tired and stop trying. - Hebrews 12:3
                      Haha, I know! I used to use a heavy cream/whole milk recipe but it got expensive and was sometimes too creamy (I didn't think it was possible!). Here is a recipe that combines two of my favorite things: ice cream and beer. Guinness Ice Cream 1 c milk 1 c heavy cream 2/3 c guinness 2 t + 2 tsp molasses 1/3 c brown sugar cocoa powder to taste chocolate, cut into chunks - mix guinness & molasses; bring to boil over medium heat; once at a boil, kill the heat and set aside to cool - off the heat, combine milk, cream, sugar, cocoa powder - slowly add guinness & molasses into /sugar/milk/cream mix, whisk to combine - cool for 2 hours or so in fridge - turn into ice cream as per the instructions for your machine. add chips whenever (mine lets me do it at the end while still in the machine while i think for other machines you mix the chocolate in by hand) SO GOOD
                        I made some Bailey's ice cream on Friday and it was really good. Hmm...I'm noticing the start of a theme to all of my ice cream recipies--mix milk, alcohol and freeze! Wink 3 c whole milk (2 c milk, 1 c cream would be okay too) 2/3 c Bailey's (or more, if you want!) 1/2 c sugar 1 egg, beaten (I don't usually use eggs in my ice cream and I didn't notice much of a difference, so I guess it's optional) Pinch salt Chocolate chips/chopped chocolate/whatever (I bought 2 of the super dark chocolate bars that they have at the Trader Joe's checkout) Mix milk, Bailey's, sugar and salt over low heat As it's starting to get hot, add the egg but make sure it's not too hot so the egg doesn't scramble! Whisk vigorously over heat I cut the heat just as it was starting to simmer Put in fridge until it gets cold And then, into the ice cream maker! I dumped the chopped chocolate into the machine about 5 minutes before it was done. This ice cream was very good and bonus, I have most of a bottle of Bailey's left to drink! Big grin
                        zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I made some Bailey's ice cream on Friday and it was really good. Hmm...I'm noticing the start of a theme to all of my ice cream recipies--mix milk, alcohol and freeze! Wink
                          I keep thinking that Kahlua would be good in ice cream... Big grin

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

I keep thinking that Kahlua would be good in ice cream... Big grin
                            YUM
                              i love making ice cream! i make a batch every week in the summer, practically-- i use a kitchenaid mixer and the the ice cream bowl and dasher you can buy separately for the mixer. it's super simple and turns out really great ice cream (if you take your time... freeze the bowl 8+ hours first, and give your ice cream batter a chance to chill in the fridge for a couple of hours before you start mixing it in the bowl. that is: freeze your bowl overnight, and start your batter at least 4-5 hours before you plan on eating it.). i'm lactose intolerant and date a vegan, so most of the ice creams i've made lately are vegan, using coconut milk instead of milk & heavy cream as a base. to do so, i generally use: - 2 cups of heavy/fatty liquid - coconut milk, for example, or soy creamer, or heavy cream if you want to use that - 1 cup of lighter/less fatty liquid - soymilk, rice milk, oat milk, almond milk, dairy milk... you get the idea - 3/4 c of sweetened flavoring liquid - guinness w/ 1/2 c sugar dissolved into it, strawberry puree, lime juice w/ simple syrup, etc (all of the above? hmm...) - any special adds i want to play with (berries, chocolate chips, cracked toffee, essential oils or flavor extracts etc) i prepare my ice cream batter first - dissolve any sugar into the liquid as necessary, steep any tea in any milk, etc. i set that in the fridge to get cold. when everything is COLD, i start the mixer and carefully pour it all in, let it mix on the lowest speed setting for about 20 minutes, scrape it all out, stick in the freezer for half an hour to firm up and then eat! i recommend avocado ice cream & ginger-orange-chocolate! so good!