Beginners and Beyond

TuesDAILIES: Wakey Wakey (Read 33 times)

LRB

Hi,

It's dark and cold out but dry so one out of three ain't bad. Plus, it's usually snowed out and slushed out this time of year, so I better "enjoy it" while I can.

Bye!

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Good morning!

I did 1:15 on the trainer.  It's in the low 30s, headed to around 40 today.  Meh.

Have a great day!

Runner with a riding problem.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I overslept by 20 minutes (thanks to one cat that sat on the alarm clock and blocked the noise - I think they are getting too smart), left the house 10 minutes later than normal, but got to the office on time.  Only to find our Outlook and networks are down and we can basically not work.  Yay.

7 miles tonight.  Outside.  Sigh. Hoping not too hot by 7pm.

Damaris

Cyberic

Hey virtual people,

Could not get used to the Zero-Drop of the Altras, and did not want to push it and risk injury. OTOH, I have a brand new pair of shoes that I'm not using (yet another one) that has a roomy toe box. Decided to buy gel heel raisers that I put under the Altra's insoles, and I now have a pair of Altras that are NOT zero-drop. Wore them on my run commute this morning. They will be part of my rotation from now on.

I'm also experimenting on how to revive stinky tech clothes that start stinking after one minute of wearing them. For that I need to understand why the stink is stuck in the fabric, and then how to remove it. Started reading in my lunch break yesterday, did an experiment last evening at home, for a partial success. I'll be working on that in the next few days, probably. It will be my hobby besides my hobby.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hey virtual people,

Could not get used to the Zero-Drop of the Altras, and did not want to push it and risk injury. OTOH, I have a brand new pair of shoes that I'm not using (yet another one) that has a roomy toe box. Decided to buy gel heel raisers that I put under the Altra's insoles, and I now have a pair of Altras that are NOT zero-drop. Wore them on my run commute this morning. They will be part of my rotation from now on.

I'm also experimenting on how to revive stinky tech clothes that start stinking after one minute of wearing them. For that I need to understand why the stink is stuck in the fabric, and then how to remove it. Started reading in my lunch break yesterday, did an experiment last evening at home, for a partial success. I'll be working on that in the next few days, probably. It will be my hobby besides my hobby.

Heel raisers? I've never heard of that.  What brand and name if you remember?  I might try that with my Altras when my achilles begs for mercy.

Damaris

RunningOnSand

Hey virtual people,

I did this a couple years ago, and for me at least, it pushed my whole foot forward so that my toes kept hitting the tip of the toe box. Sad Sadly it didn't work for me b/c I liked the wide toe box of the Altras. I'm glad it is working for you.

ETA: also, re: stinky clothes...what I have done (successfully...but given the Altra story maybe this won't work for you, lol) is put said stinky clothes in boiling hot water with a mixture of vinegar and baking soda. Let soak for a few hours. Then launder as normal. The smell should be gone.

DavePNW

Wakey wakey eggs & bakey.

My tech clothes don’t seem to stink after I wash them. Or I just don’t notice. But I’d think my wife would have said something.

8 miles with 12 strides.

Dave

DavePNW

ETA: also, re: stinky clothes...what I have done (successfully...but given the Altra story maybe this won't work for you, lol) is put said stinky clothes in boiling hot water with a mixture of vinegar and baking soda. Let soak for a few hours. Then launder as normal. The smell should be gone.

Seems like vinegar and/or baking soda are included in the home remedies for everything. Washing clothes, removing warts, you name it. I wonder if the folks trying to cure cancer have tried it.

Dave

RunningOnSand

Seems like vinegar and/or baking soda are included in the home remedies for everything. Washing clothes, removing warts, you name it. I wonder if the folks trying to cure cancer have tried it.

If they haven't yet, they should. Hey, maybe Whiskers knows something about this--I believe she is a scientist!

It reminds me of Windex & My Big Fat Greek Wedding (I would include a picture, but, since I'm challenged in that area I'll leave it up to you guys Big grin  ).

I've got 6 today. The good people of our city went through with plows and finally salted the roads, so that I may run on them.

Cyberic

Heel raisers? I've never heard of that.  What brand and name if you remember?  I might try that with my Altras when my achilles begs for mercy.

Again, my English being what it is, maybe heel "raisers" was not the correct terminology. This is what I bought. https://www.drscholls.com/products/comfort-and-energy/heel-cups/

Put them underneath my normal insoles. They are gel, so rubbery, and they don't slip. They just stay there.

Stinky clothes: Yesterday I tried rubbing alcohol. It worked for some of my clothes, but not all of them. I'll try vinegar next. But I'm also interested in the "why", and not just the "how". Although if I get the "how" and can't figure out the "why", I'll still be happy 

MTA: Found this on stinky clothes yesterday. I thought it was nice as it is not a company trying to push their product. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/30/smarter-living/how-to-clean-your-gross-workout-gear.html

LRB

I'm also experimenting on how to revive stinky tech clothes that start stinking after one minute of wearing them. For that I need to understand why the stink is stuck in the fabric, and then how to remove it. 

I think it has something to do with what's in your sweat on a given day, as I only have this issue once or twice a season and even then with only one or two garments. But I could be out in leftfield on that too, so....

In any event, there's a product called Odo-Ban that'll knock that shit right out. You only need a capful in a load of clothes. I was using it for other things for years before I started running, it's awesome.

sdWhiskers

If they haven't yet, they should. Hey, maybe Whiskers knows something about this--I believe she is a scientist!

Vinegar and baking soda (or rather acetic acid and sodium bicarbonate to a chemist) are sitting next to me right now in the lab. Very useful in making compounds that could cure cancer!

I often wish I could use lab solvents to clean things at home (especially dishes). Some of the other best chemicals at home are nail polish remover, rubbing alcohol and drinking alcohol. I wouldn't recommend any of those for clothes though.

DavePNW

Stinky clothes: Yesterday I tried rubbing alcohol. It worked for some of my clothes, but not all of them. I'll try vinegar next. But I'm also interested in the "why", and not just the "how". Although if I get the "how" and can't figure out the "why", I'll still be happy 

Well it's generally vinegar & baking soda together, due to the acid-base reaction.

Dave

LRB

Morning!  I overslept by 20 minutes (thanks to one cat that sat on the alarm clock and blocked the noise - I think they are getting too smart), left the house 10 minutes later than normal, but got to the office on time.  

I grew up with cats so I know they are highly intelligent but that's some otherworldly shit right there. 

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Wakey wakey eggs & bakey.

My tech clothes don’t seem to stink after I wash them. Or I just don’t notice. But I’d think my wife would have said something.

8 miles with 12 strides.

I have found that if I hang up my clothes to dry before putting them in the laundry hamper, it does a lot to do away with the stink.  That being said, I think LRB is on the right track too with regard to daily variations, and also some people may just have smellier sweat than others.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                                10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Greta's Run 5k, 5/19; Scotch Plains 5k, 6/12