Beginners and Beyond

Back to business TUESdailies (Read 57 times)

Hip Redux

Wow, 200 for a 5K at 6:30am!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Nice job.

Posted this in the penguin thread, guess it should've been here. Did a 5k race today at work. It started at 0630. around 200 runners showed up to run it. The race was free and was in support of combating sexual harrassment in the workplace. It was chilly, about 30 degrees at the start. Great race. I had planned on sub 9 minute miles for this one, held an 8:40 avrerage, so nice comfortable pace. It turned out to be 3.44 miles, tad longer that 5k. At the end we all lined up for a photo shoot in the shape of a large ribbon. Local EMS provided the ladder truck so that the shot could be taken from over head. Should be a great photo..

Damaris

Luke79

What up dailies.

3 mile tempo run, with 1 mile @ 7:19.  Felt great.  I'll be off for a few days after tomorrow and I'm really ready for some longer slower running.

LRB

So, instead, I'll just say happy tuesday all!  lol

You crack me up!

Nice job on the 5k Bill, I would think that a lot of people would show up to race a cause such as that provided it was advertised enough.  Runners like to run and Americans like to help.

Scott T, the weather surprisingly wasn't that bad at all.  I did wear my jacket so that is probably why.

Lilac, pics or it didn't happen!

Good luck with the ignorant band Kristin.

What's up to the rest of you peeps!

Ball of Fury

What's up Dailies? I had another rough night last night, just coughing and coughing...still couldn't sleep after 2 doses of Nyquil (spaced about 3-4 hours apart) and some wine for good measure!  But, I was determined to do a run of some sort today.  I was supposed to have 3 x 2miles @ 7:50/mile, but for once, I used a bit of common sense and just ran easy.  I ended up doing 10 miles @ 9:29/mile, and the run just felt great the entire time...like I could have run forever!  I really wish I hadn't been sick, because I think I could have rocked my strength run.  Oh well, as it is, it was an enjoyable run with pretty good weather.  Of course, now, my lungs are on fire from running in the cold and I am coughing like crazy....ugh!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Hip Redux

You crack me up!

Big grin  Ok, ok, the abbreviated version -

flarunner - PLEASE send up the warmth, but you can keep the muggy, k, thanks.  :P

Sparker - good luck on the run, hope the knee cooperates!

Bruce - I expected to hear about 18 mile runs in the driving snow from you.  TM and sun shining does not compute.

April - ok, what's up with that meme having a sponsor? lol   It is seriously windy here today too.

LRB - I take it you did your intervals on the street not track?  When I do something like that, I just run back and forth on a street with no lights/intersections for that reason - drivers are clueless.

Kristin - didn't you just come off an IT band issue?  It really sucks - I get pangs of pain every once and a while and I'm all "Ain't no one got time for this!"

Lilac -  Nice work on the yoga!  And extra credit points for you for the use of the umlaut..  :P   Highlight appointment for me is Thursday - spring is officially here! lol

Ami - getting a cold or just getting off a cold?  Great run, either way!

BruceD555

Bruce - I expected to hear about 18 mile runs in the driving snow from you.  TM and sun shining does not compute.

LOL, I hope to be done with driving snow for quite a while. Nope, the weather this morning was gusty winds & 18 degrees outside so I opted to just do my 4 AM morning 4 miles on the TM ... since it was cold, dark & windy outside.

The rest of the day is still windy but at least it's sunny and in the 30's  ... so my 6 miles tonight will be outdoors or else.

LRB- I've got 5x1200s on the schedule for tomorrow as well (part of 11 miles) and I've been debating on whether I should just hit the track as usual or run them outside. After hearing of your driving annoyances, I think I'll resort to the track again to give myself a fighting chance to hit my pace.

Train smart ... race smarter.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Posted this in the penguin thread, guess it should've been here. Did a 5k race today at work. It started at 0630. around 200 runners showed up to run it. The race was free and was in support of combating sexual harrassment in the workplace. It was chilly, about 30 degrees at the start. Great race. I had planned on sub 9 minute miles for this one, held an 8:40 avrerage, so nice comfortable pace. It turned out to be 3.44 miles, tad longer that 5k. At the end we all lined up for a photo shoot in the shape of a large ribbon. Local EMS provided the ladder truck so that the shot could be taken from over head. Should be a great photo..

Nice race, Bill, congrats on your Early Bird 5K!  Did your wife run too?

Nice turn out for an early a.m. race on a weekday.  Obviously, these people did not want to go to work right away..  Wink

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

RunTomRun

Wickedly Average

Bill, did the race have designated "Harassers" chasing the runners to speed them up?

j/k, of course....

4 miles today, somewhat negative splits, with the last mile at 8:37 pace. Had to double back a couple of times to avoid the parade of huge dump trucks encroaching on my quiet running route. They're taking in some fill dirt from a highway project about 10 miles from here.

Tom (formerly known as PhotogTom)

5K - 25:16, 10K - 55:31,  15K - 1:20:55,   HM - 1:54:54

StepbyStep-SH

Ended up with 7.0 miles in 1:05:45, about 9:25 pace overall. I included one 2:00 surge each at GMP (8:30), HMP (8:00), 10k pace (7:40), 5k pace (7:20), and 3k pace (7:00), with 3:00 recoveries. Ankle is still a bit sore and continued to be so through the strength class.

But I might be able to get some free advice on strengthening/protecting it tonight. A local physical therapy department is having an open house/runners' workshop to talk about gait analysis, common injuries, etc., and I am planning to go with some friends.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Kristin - didn't you just come off an IT band issue?  It really sucks - I get pangs of pain every once and a while and I'm all "Ain't no one got time for this!"

Yup....I know you deal with it too it SUCKS! I missed almost the entire month of January and have been building up miles very slowly since....had a month of PT, I do strengthening, foam rolling, stretches, run with a strap....overall it is pretty good but every now and then it acts up a bit. Nothing like it was doing when I ended up throwing in the towel and taking 3 full weeks off running completely, but enough to make me shuffle around runs to take rest days when it bothers me. I haven't had to cut a planned run short because of it in awhile, right now if it hurts usually it hurts after the run.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Hip Redux

Yup....I know you deal with it too it SUCKS! I missed almost the entire month of January and have been building up miles very slowly since....had a month of PT, I do strengthening, foam rolling, stretches, run with a strap....overall it is pretty good but every now and then it acts up a bit. Nothing like it was doing when I ended up throwing in the towel and taking 3 full weeks off running completely, but enough to make me shuffle around runs to take rest days when it bothers me. I haven't had to cut a planned run short because of it in awhile, right now if it hurts usually it hurts after the run.

Oh, I hear ya.   Have you tried self-Graston?   It gives me a little more control in managing flare ups and seems to kept things at bay.  Basically, put some thick lotion on your IT and take a spoon and drag it up and down - you'll feel bumps or ridges where the adhesions have formed and you'll want to work those out.   It only works if you have a high pain tolerance though because MAN it kills.

Ball of Fury

Oh, I hear ya.   Have you tried self-Graston?   It gives me a little more control in managing flare ups and seems to kept things at bay.  Basically, put some thick lotion on your IT and take a spoon and drag it up and down - you'll feel bumps or ridges where the adhesions have formed and you'll want to work those out.   It only works if you have a high pain tolerance though because MAN it kills.

I might have to try that Oski!  Graston has been working for me, but it's hard for me to find time to go to PT once or twice a week.  Never thought of trying to do it myself.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Hip Redux

I might have to try that Oski!  Graston has been working for me, but it's hard for me to find time to go to PT once or twice a week.  Never thought of trying to do it myself.

Once you have it done to you, you can pretty much replicate it at home.  Problem really is the pain threshold.  lol

You can also use acupuncture cups to break up the adhesions - this is a little bit more involved and requires access to cups (you can get a cheap set on line) - but basically, you lotion the ITB, apply suction, and then "drag" the cup up and down the IT band.   You'll feel resistance on the places that need more attention.

As you can see, I have taken ITB stuff to a new level of torture.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Once you have it done to you, you can pretty much replicate it at home.  Problem really is the pain threshold.  lol

You can also use acupuncture cups to break up the adhesions - this is a little bit more involved and requires access to cups (you can get a cheap set on line) - but basically, you lotion the ITB, apply suction, and then "drag" the cup up and down the IT band.   You'll feel resistance on the places that need more attention.

As you can see, I have taken ITB stuff to a new level of torture.

OMG I would be so scared to do all of that kind of stuff myself.... so far just sticking to foam roller and The Stick. Had one deep pressure medical massage in which I had the massage therapist focus on the area.....my PT did a lot of work on it. He did not do Graston and is not a fan of it. I would consider finding someone to do it if it continues to be a problem for me.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to