Beginners and Beyond

ThursDailies - Still Humid (Read 35 times)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Day one of marathon training for me.  6 easy.  Cooler (72), but still humid (100%).  The forecast says the heat will break in time for the weekend.  Yay.  122 days to go.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Good morning!

I rode 39 muggy miles.  It was a good ride, and I'm glad I got up and did it.

On a personal note, it was 10 years ago today that I smoked my last cigarette.  Yay me!

Have a great day!

Runner with a riding problem.

Yesterdays heat kicked my ass...was pretty much out in it all day between my am run, DWs race, parade, pool...etc.  I'm so tired this am. Had a interval day on the schedule but with the heat/humidity out there, plus some various body parts nagging me I figured Id replace it with an easy day. A tough workout would do me no good at this point. I ran those Tue reps too fast and can feel it now. Ran an easy 6mi 8:32 avg.

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have Pilates and 6 with 5 min hill intervals tonight.

Damaris

LRB

I had a suck factor of 158 for this morning's run (83 F + 75 DP). And to make matters worse, it rained for about 10 minutes just after I started running, with the sun shining! I wanted to take off my skin when I got home. lol

delicate flower

'Morning!  I swam 2600 yards before work.  Still trying to get my swim speed back post-vacation, but it's only been three days.  I have a one hour tempo run to do after work, and with a 102 heat index in the forecast, I think my four month streak of no treadmill will come to end today.

My Strava feed is like the walking dead this week.  This heat wave is hammering people.

On a personal note, it was 10 years ago today that I smoked my last cigarette.  Yay me!

Congratulations, PR!  That could not have been easy.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Good morning!

I rode 39 muggy miles.  It was a good ride, and I'm glad I got up and did it.

Have a great day!

That is an amazing anniversary.

Damaris

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Good morning all.

Looking at trying to run out to the trail race tonight, and then run the trail race (this one is a paired event, so fastest cumulative time runner and slowest cumulative time runner from the series are teammates). It should be about 11 miles or so in total.

Fred...good luck with the marathon training! There's something comforting about being on the plan and just committing to doing whatever it says.

Pleasant...congrats on the positive lifestyle change and for sticking with it! Good work on the ride too.

Jay...You sound beat - good call on the easy day.

Docket...Enjoy the workouts. 5 min hill repeats are no joke!

LRB...We've been getting rain while sunny too...what in the actual heck is that??

Baboon...So true about the Strava feed! You can definitely see who it impacts and who doesn't really mind the heat as much.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

KCRuns

Good Morning!

Congrats, PR, that's a major milestone!

I didn't have a chance to get online yesterday, but I ran 5 easy and it was wonderful.  It was hot, but very low humidity and breezy Smile

The humidity was back today in full force (98%), UGH.  I got 6.5 sucky miles running to work.

Question for the group: how much does your summer easy pace vary from your normal easy pace?  I have been about 45 seconds to a minute per mile slower on the high humidity days and don't know if that's in the normal range or if I'm being a wimp and should push the pace a little more.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Fred...good luck with the marathon training! There's something comforting about being on the plan and just committing to doing whatever it says.

SIAR - Thanks.  I know some folks are able to ad-lib it, but I do so much better with a schedule.  Good luck with your race tonight.

PR - congrats on your 10 years, that's really something.  It took my father four attempts before he was able to permanently quit smoking.

delicate flower

Question for the group: how much does your summer easy pace vary from your normal easy pace?  I have been about 45 seconds to a minute per mile slower on the high humidity days and don't know if that's in the normal range or if I'm being a wimp and should push the pace a little more.

Sounds about right.

<3

Half Crazy K 2.0

KC, I'm a good minute slower in the heat.

PR, congrats on the 10 years!

We had the rain with sun on my commute this morning.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

KC - I'm also slower in the hot weather.  For me, I don't think it's a full 45 seconds per mile, but I'm rather slow to begin with.  :-)  I also tend to run early (pre-sunrise) on hot days so I'm not getting as much extra heat.

I guess that's a long-winded way to say I don't think you're wimping out.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Catching up a little from yesterday:

Bluerun... Quoting you from yesterday "Did a 4 mile race and decided not to go for a PR given the 75+ DP... placed first in my AG and beat my revised goal by a nice margin, so yay." Can I just say that when you say something positive, it really just makes my day?! Nice job on the race. Also, with those Brooks shoes you posted yesterday - I really want two of the left shoe, with the red stripe!

SdWhiskers...Well done at your race! How's Mr. Whiskers take the losing? That'd actually be fun if you guys were close enough in pace that he wins a few and you win a few.

Fred..Just saw your post from yesterday at the race...sometimes you just have to be smart. That's scary stuff with kid that you saw. I'm not sure that I shared here, but a 71 year old passed during that 40 mile trail race I did a while back. It's not enough to give me pause about doing it, but it is a good remind to respect the signs your body is giving you (not that this man had any such warning).

Onemile...Why are those redwing blackbirds so mean!! I got attacked on a run last summer and now am totally paranoid.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Good Morning!

Congrats, PR, that's a major milestone!

I didn't have a chance to get online yesterday, but I ran 5 easy and it was wonderful.  It was hot, but very low humidity and breezy Smile

The humidity was back today in full force (98%), UGH.  I got 6.5 sucky miles running to work.

It depends on the heat index, according to my coaches.  Since heat index includes humidity, feels like temp is better to be used.  My old coach had a table for paces according to heat index and it was something around 5 seconds slower per mile per 5F above 60F.  So for example, if you were running at 90F heat index, your easy pace should be around 30 seconds per mile slower, in theory.  At the beginning, since you're not acclimated to the heat, it will be slower.  1mm is not that far off when it's super humid (73 dewpoint or above).  Especially if it's sunny to boot which the tables or heat index do not contemplate.  Hope this helps.

I would get scolded if I tried to run at pace when it was feels like 90F or above.

Damaris