Beginners and Beyond

Hot ThursDailies (Read 43 times)

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I will say that I'm a little sad that I didn't get the whole "first time" experience because the friend I was with had already run it before and didn't want to be bothered.

Sorry to hear that.  I hope you get in again.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

DavePNW

Sweet!  Did you order the jacket yet?  What color is it?  Because I haven't seen it yet.  I've been checking the weather but it's a toss up at this point.

I know you have a countdown clock for the race, you should have one for the jacket as well.

Dave

DavePNW

Meanwhile I'm just here, like... I don't even know if I'll make the cutoff so I can just stay in a hole in the wall.

I will say that I'm a little sad that I didn't get the whole "first time" experience because the friend I was with had already run it before and didn't want to be bothered.

Some friend!

If you would go if you get in, no reason not to book a hotel.

Dave

DavePNW

I was going to advise this because it's kind of a once in a lifetime thing and it's cool to be where all the excitement is.

That was basically it. I may end up a one & done.

Dave

Baboon

delicate flower

I know you have a countdown clock for the race, you should have one for the jacket as well.

Boston next year is gonna be a good day in the B&B for race tracking.  We're going to miss that.

<3

bluerun

Super B****

Some friend!

If you would go if you get in, no reason not to book a hotel.

I am not the type to splurge on an expensive hotel like that.  I seriously don't care if I'm not in the middle of the action because I could think of so many things I'd rather do with that kind of money.  I could go on a two-week vacation for the price some people paid for their rooms in Boston.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

DavePNW

I am not the type to splurge on an expensive hotel like that.  I seriously don't care if I'm not in the middle of the action because I could think of so many things I'd rather do with that kind of money.  I could go on a two-week vacation for the price some people paid for their rooms in Boston.

I am not suggesting you do so, just that if you think there is any chance of going, to get something booked. But you do you.

Dave

Baboon

delicate flower

I don't know about Dave, but with me it only matters that the wife ok's it.  If the wife says yes, price doesn't matter.

<3

bluerun

Super B****

I am not suggesting you do so, just that if you think there is any chance of going, to get something booked. But you do you.

Eh, I'll worry about that at some point.  I mean, I could be dead by then!

chasing the impossible

DavePNW

I don't know about Dave, but with me it only matters that the wife ok's it.  If the wife says yes, price doesn't matter.

Wait, was I supposed to tell my wife?   This is going to be one of those "easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" things.

Seriously, I don't do a ton of splurging on this kind of stuff, and DW understands this is a big deal, so we'll be OK.

Dave

DavePNW

Eh, I'll worry about that at some point.  

One Boston and already jaded.

Dave

DavePNW

I mean, I could be dead by then!

Oh, and this part is definitely you being you.

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

One Boston and already jaded.

Nah, it's just that I didn't know where I was staying this year until like a week before, so I don't see why I'd start stressing out about next year NOW.  Things will work out.  Or they won't.  Worrying won't help.  (This is so NOT me.)

chasing the impossible

Cyberic

That would seem hypocritical since Boston is a net downhill course (450 ft drop) and is not record eligible. BQ criteria only require a certified distance, not that it be on a record eligible course. Keep in mind the historical origins of the BQ as well. It was to weed out people who were not adequately trained to run a marathon. If you can run a net downhill, or for that matter one with an assisting tailwind, you fit the demographic they were targeting. If we are discussing aided courses, then any point to point course that has an assisting tailwind the year one runs a BQ, would also be thrown into the mix.

There you go.

Cyberic

On the Boston frenzy subject, a guy I know just ran his 10th Boston, his 9th in a row. He is 58 yo and is a 3:05-3:15 marathoner, depending on a few factors. He ran this years' Boston in 5+ hours. The guy is pretty injured, hasn't been running for months, but there was no way he was going to miss his 9th in a row and break his streak. Running (and walking) Boston probably didn't help his recovery.

Right now, he's still not running, and he was telling me the other day that he needs to heal up before September so he can qualify. He's probably going to give it a shot even if he's not healed and hope his body holds together.

That Boston thing is crazy.