Beginners and Beyond

Hot ThursDailies (Read 43 times)

DavePNW

That would seem hypocritical since Boston is a net downhill course (450 ft drop) and is not record eligible. BQ criteria only require a certified distance, not that it be on a record eligible course. Keep in mind the historical origins of the BQ as well. It was to weed out people who were not adequately trained to run a marathon. If you can run a net downhill, or for that matter one with an assisting tailwind, you fit the demographic they were targeting. If we are discussing aided courses, then any point to point course that has an assisting tailwind the year one runs a BQ, would also be thrown into the mix.

All fine points but I still disagree with the conclusion. Courses that are a steady downhill like we are talking about are of course not the same as just anything "net downhill". And these courses are specifically designed to improve times - not the same as a point to point course where you might happen to get a tailwind that day. Or one where you happen to get nice cool weather, which is probably a bigger impact than anything. If they wanted to define a rule to exclude steady downhill courses, I'm sure they could come up with something. Although I'm not sure there's much incentive for them to do so.

Dave

DavePNW

On the Boston frenzy subject, a guy I know just ran his 10th Boston, his 9th in a row. He is 58 yo and is a 3:05-3:15 marathoner, depending on a few factors. He ran this years' Boston in 5+ hours. The guy is pretty injured, hasn't been running for months, but there was no way he was going to miss his 9th in a row and break his streak. Running (and walking) Boston probably didn't help his recovery.

Right now, he's still not running, and he was telling me the other day that he needs to heal up before September so he can qualify. He's probably going to give it a shot even if he's not healed and hope his body holds together.

That Boston thing is crazy.

I don't see me doing this (even if I could). So far I'm using qualifying as an opportunity to run races I would not run when I was trying to qualify, because I know they'd be too slow (e.g. Seattle). Potentially ones that I'd want to travel to, but don't want to worry about wearing myself out walking around a city the day before.

Dave

Docket...That was quite the elevation chart yesterday. I think we have cracks in our sidewalk here that give more gain!

While marathon books are being discussed, I have to throw out Run Faster from the 5k to the Marathon by Hudson as the book that did the absolute most for me. To a large extent, I credit those innocuous little 10 second hill sprints as really being game changing in my experience..

Haha, I do too.  They precipitated a two year battle with my ATs that I'm still not 100% sure I have won.  That said, I'm a huge fan of his theories in general, and most of my better training cycles have been based on that book.

I went to spin class last night.  It was ugly AF.  Showered at the studio to get cleaned up for my next thing, and got a calf cramp trying to put my pants on.    It would seem my bike fitness is approximately zero, which makes sense, I haven't been on a bike since August 4, 2017.  Use it or lose it I guess.  Husband was snoring in my fucking ear all night, so I did not sleep, and was too tired and pissed off to run this morning.  Maybe tonight.  Probably not, but I can hope.

LRB

Haha, I do too.  They precipitated a two year battle with my ATs that I'm still not 100% sure I have won.  That said, I'm a huge fan of his theories in general, and most of my better training cycles have been based on that book.

I went to spin class last night.  It was ugly AF.  Showered at the studio to get cleaned up for my next thing, and got a calf cramp trying to put my pants on.    It would seem my bike fitness is approximately zero, which makes sense, I haven't been on a bike since August 4, 2017.  Use it or lose it I guess.  Husband was snoring in my fucking ear all night, so I did not sleep, and was too tired and pissed off to run this morning.  Maybe tonight.  Probably not, but I can hope.

Hopefully Seder is in a forgiving mood...

Baboon

delicate flower

Nailed my workout this evening.  I was dreading it a little after my failrun last night, and I was tempted to just pedal my bike easy today since my legs till felt a little heavy.  I went ahead and attempted the workout though and nailed it, and was actually a little heavy on the power.   Followed the bike ride up with a 20 minute brick run (2.7 miles at 7:16 pace).  Almost 2.5 hours of training today. Good times.  Sorry to derail.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Went to OTF and ran 3 there. It was ALL OUT ALL OUT ALL OUT every 30 seconds, sheesh.  Then ran 3 more when I got home.

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

4.3 miles of something that was supposed to resemble running. It was 90+ and I'm still feeling a little beat up.

Another vote for Hudson. I skip the hill sprints. I did them the first time I followed his plan & didn't see any benefit. I also strength train, so I figure that gives me similar benefits.And yea, I find it helpful to read through the books cause I have to adapt stuff. I think most are geared towards much faster younger runners.

On the downhill subject, if someone does a north to south half on the NCR trail, I'm all over that. Although it is a 1% grade, so nothing like the the full with 5000 feet. There is a 20 miler that goes that direction, but, 20 miles. Nope.

Hip Redux

So on the topic of cheater BQ courses, I was just giving mad props to a FB friend who ran 3:00 at the Mt Charleston Marathon.  A HUGE PR for him, and his first BQ after a couple of epic blowups.  I didn't know anything about the course, so I just googled.  This is the elevation profile.  5000' net downhill.  Now his 3:00 just feels cheap to me.  I don't know...it just does.  He's a super nice guy,and someone I consider one of my direct local competitors, but now I see his 3:00 and I think, "Yeah, buuuuuut....."  Hmph.

I'll remember this when you PR the swim at Little Debbie.  

You guys sometimes spend pages debating the "best" marathons to run for temperature, training season, hills, all to optimize your potential time, no?  Why is how you pick a marathon any different than someone picking a net downhill for their best time?   If you run a perfectly flat course with a tailwind, minimal turns, and perfect temperatures, are we supposed to say "Tsk tsk that's not a real PR?"   As it is, we know one course time doesn't translate to another one anyway because of all those factors.   Really, it'd be silly to pick a course that is notoriously slow and difficult if you wanted to BQ.

Not to mention, if you want to, all those marathons are open to anyone who wants to run them.

onemile

I'll remember this when you PR the swim at Little Debbie.  

You guys sometimes spend pages debating the "best" marathons to run for temperature, training season, hills, all to optimize your potential time, no?  Why is how you pick a marathon any different than someone picking a net downhill for their best time?   If you run a perfectly flat course with a tailwind, minimal turns, and perfect temperatures, are we supposed to say "Tsk tsk that's not a real PR?"   As it is, we know one course time doesn't translate to another one anyway because of all those factors.   Really, it'd be silly to pick a course that is notoriously slow and difficult if you wanted to BQ.

Not to mention, if you want to, all those marathons are open to anyone who wants to run them.

There's a difference between picking a course that doesn't have factors that slow you down vs. picking an assisted course. Of course that's my opinion.

DavePNW

There's a difference between picking a course that doesn't have factors that slow you down vs. picking an assisted course. Of course that's my opinion.

And the correct one.

Dave

onemile

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

So we can all agree flat courses are the best and fair, right?  RIGHT?  So, all of you must come down and run here...I mean, when it's one of the 40F days once in a blue moon.

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

So we can all agree flat courses are the best and fair, right?  RIGHT?  So, all of you must come down and run here...I mean, when it's one of the 40F days once in a blue moon.

Aside from when there is a freaking gale warning or heat, flat FTW.  I have somehow managed to have 1 nice day for the flat races I've done. 

bluerun

Super B****

I guess I’m the lone dissenter here... I really don’t love pancake marathons.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Aside from when there is a freaking gale warning or heat, flat FTW.  I have somehow managed to have 1 nice day for the flat races I've done. 

It is ironic that both my HM PR and my marathon PR are from down here (Miami and Orlando) in Miami flat courses and both were in cold weather (Marathon was 42F and windy, the HM was in the 50s).  And I just ran a HM and almost PRd and it was 45F the whole race and it was in Miami.  Again, 10ft of elevation or something like that.  So, miracles do happen here!

Damaris