Beginners and Beyond

You know that I know that you know it's Monday (Read 49 times)

FreeSoul87, I hope that resting does the trick and that it isn't anything serious.

cjones1, excellent eight. While on the TM, I usually watch the news or listen to podcasts.

I'm done with weights.

LRB

Rick, thank you for starting today's thread. What do you have planned for today?

Today was a rest day for me, I will look to get back at it tomorrow.

How is it running in VFF's?

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

On more than one occasion, I say "You want me to do WHAT?" in pilates. lol

Yes.  I have said that and given her a look on more than one occasion.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I am about to lose my mind, for the past almost 2 weeks my hamstrings have been seriously annoying me. Not so much when running or walking, but mainly during long periods of sitting and and just throughout the day  I don't know what the fuck is going on but I am promising my legs a good two weeks off after next weekend's trail half marathon. And then I plan to hopefully take it very easy throughout June until my marathon training starts... if this isn't serious.

Maybe you overstretch them prior to that? Hope it's nothing major.

Damaris

Baboon

delicate flower

7 mile run complete.  Wow, I did not expect my legs to feel that dead.    But I suppose when you run 6.4 miles at your 10K PR pace, broken up by a hard 16 mile bike ride, that might tire one's legs out a bit.

<3

LRB

I am about to lose my mind, for the past almost 2 weeks my hamstrings have been seriously annoying me. Not so much when running or walking, but mainly during long periods of sitting and and just throughout the day  I don't know what the fuck is going on but I am promising my legs a good two weeks off after next weekend's trail half marathon. And then I plan to hopefully take it very easy throughout June until my marathon training starts... if this isn't serious.

Running shortens the hamstrings, as does sitting all day with your legs at a 90 degree angle (knees bent). Try keeping your legs extended (straight) while sitting as much as possible and stand versus sitting whenever feasible.

I would also refrain from doing any static stretching and only do light dynamic stretching for the foreseeable future.

These things may or may not fix the problem, but certainly will not exacerbate it.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Maybe you overstretch them prior to that? Hope it's nothing major.

Not sure, I had no issues after the Back2Back's but then the following Thursday I did a few sets of Romanian Deadlifts with K-bells and they felt a little aggravated the day after. Then Saturday (a week and 2 days ago) I ran 6 miles a bit faster then I should have and on a hilly route, still didn't seem to bad but by next morning the hamstrings were pretty tight and sore so I ran 3 miles that morning and then another 7 miles later in the evening. Since then the hamstrings have been acting like c*nts but not during runs, only during long periods of sitting or driving Sad

I am contemplating on maybe a couple easy runs this week, but seriously debating on the Owensboro Memorial Day Half Marathon this Saturday... I really want to run it, even if very easily but I am wondering if it would do more damage. Maybe I should just take it extremely easy this week and see how I feel Friday?

Seriously people, my bull-headed, stubborn nature is demanding that I go the race this Saturday......  I need someone else's opinion.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

DavePNW

I love Pilates, so, so much.  Yoga is hit and miss for me, but this poor lady should not have been teaching the class.  She appeared severely, dangerously underweight, could barely move and talk (seriously, it was unreal), and we spend the whole class sitting and stretching.  Anyway.  I also don't enjoy "relaxing the inner corners of my eyelids," heh! 

With yoga it's pretty critical to choose the style that meets your interests, and get the right instructor. It can be the most brutal workout you will ever have. Or you can do things like "inhale love, exhale peace", "visualize the color green", or listen to "the sound of the universe breathing". All of this of course "if it's available to you".

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Not sure, I had no issues after the Back2Back's but then the following Thursday I did a few sets of Romanian Deadlifts with K-bells and they felt a little aggravated the day after. Then Saturday (a week and 2 days ago) I ran 6 miles a bit faster then I should have and on a hilly route, still didn't seem to bad but by next morning the hamstrings were pretty tight and sore so I ran 3 miles that morning and then another 7 miles later in the evening. Since then the hamstrings have been acting like c*nts but not during runs, only during long periods of sitting or driving Sad

I am contemplating on maybe a couple easy runs this week, but seriously debating on the Owensboro Memorial Day Half Marathon this Saturday... I really want to run it, even if very easily but I am wondering if it would do more damage. Maybe I should just take it extremely easy this week and see how I feel Friday?

Seriously people, my bull-headed, stubborn nature is demanding that I go the race this Saturday......  I need someone else's opinion.

Yes, Romanian Deadlifts will stretch the hamstrings.  Sounds like you overstretch them (per your comments, it does not bug you while running (which shortens the hamstring)).  I would stop any stretching of the hamstrings (like weights, squats, deadlifts, etc.)

Damaris

LRB

Yes, Romanian Deadlifts will stretch the hamstrings.  Sounds like you overstretch them (per your comments, it does not bug you while running (which shortens the hamstring)).  I would stop any stretching of the hamstrings (like weights, squats, deadlifts, etc.)

If you are a runner, deadlifts will eventually tear you apart.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I will happily take that advice lol, can I still do my other stretches? The calves, hips, IT band, quads?

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

If you are a runner, deadlifts will eventually tear you apart.

I was just trying to give my hamstrings some definition , which I have none compared to my quads lol. I've been doing them for a few weeks but I think I should've seriously waiting a bit longer before going back to them after the back2backs.......  sometimes I need a serious kick in the ass.

PRs

LRB

.....sometimes I need a serious kick in the ass.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I do not feel the ass kicking dang it.

PRs

Half Crazy K 2.0

Wound up doing both an upper and lower body weights DVD. I was debating running, but the thunderstorm made that decision easy.

CJones, I reminded myself constantly that the treadmill was temporary. I never listen to music outside, so music inside was something new & different. I would play with the speed on the treadmill, like a little faster for one song, than slower for one, then faster for 2, slower 1, faster 3, slower 1, etc.

FreeSoul, are Romanian deadlifts one-legged deadlifts where you lift a leg behind you? If so, those can really tweak your hamstrings, especially if your form is not 100% perfect. I find even doing those with no weight is tricky. For the yogis, I think this is warrior 3???