Beginners and Beyond

Sharing misery on the disabled list (Read 333 times)

Hip Redux

I feel you. I'm currently sitting at sports med in the waiting room thinking about how I spend way too much time here. My phone automatically connected to their wifi and I know all the receptionists. And my time here will only increase. Is all this over yet?

How did it go?

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

For the knee: Do you have clipless pedals?  Check your cleats.  If you don't it could still be your pedals and foot position.  Toe clips suck.  Get clipless and someone who is very good at lining you up right and help you install your cleats.  Also check the fore and aft position of your saddle.  Too far back and your knee gets hyper extended.

For the hips: check your saddle height.  Even if it's a hair too high, it'll cause your hips to rock back and forth (laterally) over the sides of the saddle.

/end bike setup lesson.

On the knee, I think it's just the state of my knee for the time being.  It's funny cuz yesterday it felt horribly like the week after I originally hurt it back in October.  Today, it feels about 80% healed. 

As for pedals, I'm still on the stock Cannondale platforms.  (Actually love 'em)  But do plan to get into the new Shimano Click'rs coming up soon.    They have a double-sided version now (PD T420) that look cool & that whole system just sounds right up my alley.  (SPD but w/ 60% less entry/exit force....NICE!!!)

Then, I actually think I was a little low on the saddle last night.  (I rode crash-bike on that 30 miler Saturday just in case something horrible happened)  and definitely noticed I wasn't quite locked out w/ my heel on the pedal, fully extended.  But, shouldn't have been enough to cause such havoc.  (I'm just getting old?) 

Fore/aft I think I'm ok.  Because the Cannondale has a shorter top tube & higher stem rise, I keep the saddle back juuust a tick.  Maybe I'll dead-center it though just to be safe.  I know the geometry is in being appropriate to the bottom bracket.

Randy

MtnBikerChk

running is bad for you

Fore/aft I think I'm ok.  Because the Cannondale has a shorter top tube & higher stem rise, I keep the saddle back juuust a tick.  Maybe I'll dead-center it though just to be safe.  I know the geometry is in being appropriate to the bottom bracket.

The fore aft is a a combo of distance to the stem and bottom bracket for you - regardless of the frame geometry.

Have someone who knows how to set it up look at you while pedaling on a trainer.

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

The fore aft is a a combo of distance to the stem and bottom bracket for you - regardless of the frame geometry.

Have someone who knows how to set it up look at you while pedaling on a trainer.

Ya, I meant just the geometry between hips & BB.  The stem is a funny variable because there are some pretty broad spectrums of head tubes, top tubes, necks, stems and rises among the similarly broad spectrum of bikes out there.  When the shop mech set up my first bike, I had to get off the bike & step away to look at it to realize he had the stem flipped (not uncommon around here as many folks have told me they flip stems based on their mood) and when you've got something like a 12-degree stem rise that puts the body in an entirely different position depending on where it's at.  Do that to something like a Specialized Sirrus w/ its 20-degree rise & you could darn near send somebody over the handlebars.

I've still got a follow up tune up coming & plan to get my white out pen down there while they're doing the tune to get some ideal saddle settings marked well. 

Randy

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Ok, so for probably no more than stupidity's sake (and the fact that I didn't fall to my knees in blood-curdling pain?) I decided to put a few miles in on the treadmill tonight.  The hip & knee were feeling ok this morning & progressively feeling better as the day went on.  So what the heck, right? (shrug)

Well, not only did it go well, I actually scooted along at a pretty good click!!  (shakes head)

So, I dunno.  I guess if this keeps up, I'll be posting from a padded room soon, eh??  Cracked yesterday.  Great tonight.  Leg falls off whilst walking to the water cooler tomorrow???

Randy

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

How did it go?

Pretty uneventful.  I received an ice machine thingy, and I already have crutches, otherwise I would have gotten those too.  They gave me a packet of what to expect and some paperwork to sign.  Had my blood pressure taken, heart/chest listened to.  (She remarked that if I was healthy enough to run a 100K, then I was surely healthy enough to have surgery.)  I talked with my surgeon's PA for a while and was trying to get her to tell me about people who she knew had this surgery and got back to their sport of choice, but she said that the majority of people were just regular people trying to get normal life back.  She expressed that I should be able to get back to running, but she doesn't know about running ultras.  I'm taking that with a grain of salt, because if I can run 3 miles, then I can run 4 miles.  And if  I can run 4 miles, then I can run 5 miles (and so on and so forth.)  If I can run 20 miles, then I can run 50 miles...

At least that's my line of thought.  Shit is starting to feel more real.  Yikes.

Running is dumb.

onemile

Pretty uneventful.  I received an ice machine thingy, and I already have crutches, otherwise I would have gotten those too.  They gave me a packet of what to expect and some paperwork to sign.  Had my blood pressure taken, heart/chest listened to.  (She remarked that if I was healthy enough to run a 100K, then I was surely healthy enough to have surgery.)  I talked with my surgeon's PA for a while and was trying to get her to tell me about people who she knew had this surgery and got back to their sport of choice, but she said that the majority of people were just regular people trying to get normal life back.  She expressed that I should be able to get back to running, but she doesn't know about running ultras.  I'm taking that with a grain of salt, because if I can run 3 miles, then I can run 4 miles.  And if  I can run 4 miles, then I can run 5 miles (and so on and so forth.)  If I can run 20 miles, then I can run 50 miles...

At least that's my line of thought.  Shit is starting to feel more real.  Yikes.

Make sure they operate on the correct leg.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Make sure they operate on the correct leg.

You are so wise, onemile.

Running is dumb.

Nevrgivup

Mandy that is funny that you say that about the miles. I'm no ultra runner, but I have thought if I can only run a 5k, that has turned to 10ks, that has turned to 10 miles, and half-marathons.

I've been thinking of you!

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Well, I'm always of the mindset, "What's one more mile?"  And it all starts to blur together eventually, anyway, at least when running ultras.  So if they fix me and my hip isn't impinging at mile 5, or mile 10, why would it at mile 30?

Running is dumb.

onemile

Well, I'm always of the mindset, "What's one more mile?"  And it all starts to blur together eventually, anyway, at least when running ultras.  So if they fix me and my hip isn't impinging at mile 5, or mile 10, why would it at mile 30?

I hope you're also of the mindset that it will take a careful and slow build up to running ultras again.

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

I hope you're also of the mindset that it will take a careful and slow build up to running ultras again.

I figure if surgery is on Monday, I should be good to go by like May, right?     

Nah, I'm gonna ride my bike all summer again.  I have no desire to rush back into things.

Running is dumb.

Singer who runs a smidge

This is a weird mindset.  I can poke myself in the arm and it won't do much, but I suspect if I poke myself in the arm over and over again for an hour, I'll get a bruise.

Granted I know diddlysquat about your injury.  But I could easily see fatigue over time changing your biomechanics and causing problems.  I could also see something occurring in your body that might not cause problems on the 100th stride, but causing lots of problems by the 10000th stride.

And, curiously, the spellchecker knows the word diddlysquat, but not biomechanics. 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

onemile

I figure if surgery is on Monday, I should be good to go by like May, right?     

Nah, I'm gonna ride my bike all summer again.  I have no desire to rush back into things.

I approve of this.  

If you're ready for a little running by fall, I'll do another Du with ya 

MadisonMandy

Refurbished Hip

Hopesmom, it's an issue with my bone that's impinging in my hip socket and thus tore my labrum.  If they fix the bone correctly, it shouldn't impinge anymore.  They're basically fixing my faulty defect.  No more defect should mean that there's no more issues...

Although I do see your point.  If muscles fatigue, your form can go to crap, etc.  But it's a bone thing. *Theoretically* it should be fixed.  It'll just be getting all my muscles to cooperate later on after I'm healed.

Running is dumb.