Beginners and Beyond

3.14 Friday Penguins Agree pie r round, cornbread r square. (Read 25 times)

Dad on the run.

Busy Penguins today! Hope everyone is having a great Friday... my cornbread is round as well and we cut it just like you slice a pie. Anyways,

race tomorrow!!!!! WHAT!!!!! I'm so pumped! That's a lot of exclamations, hmm, sorry about that. I'm as ready for it as I'm going to be, I don't think I will be able to hold the pace that I hope to but I'm going to give it my best.

Goal A - Sub 25

Goal B - Sub 25:45

Goal C - F*ck goal C, if I can't hit either of my first two goals then I have failed.

I got to my group run early yesterday and had planned to do 3 miles before then run and 3 miles with the group, I miscalculated and ended up running 3.5 before and almost didn't make it back in time to run with the group! It would have been ok though as I would have ran into them on my way back anyways. 6.5 miles after it was all said and done and it felt fantastic. Yesterday was the perfect running weather, 50s, a light breeze, and no humidity.

Plan to run a couple of miles tonight with my cousin and hit a few strides just to loosen up for tomorrow's race. He is planning to run a sub 20 and as long as his heart don't act up on him I think he can do it. (he has cardio arythmia? His heart will start beating very fast for no reason, like 220+ bpm) So far the doctor is ok with him running and doesn't feel like its a threat to his health.

Anyways enough rambling from me!

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

GinnyinPA

Cherie - we're in a weather roller coaster.  Nice this weekend, but possibly 1-3 inches of snow on Sunday/Monday.  Mixed 30's and 40's all next week with lows in the 20's.  Then up to the 60's mixed with occasional 40s.  Crazy stuff.  I hope your legs behaved for your run.

Jimmy - good luck tomorrow.  And no matter what, you won't fail.  As long as you're out there moving, it's a success compared to sitting on a couch and eating bon bons.

StoneFence - good job getting your miles in this morning.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

What a BEAUTIFUL run/walk at Lackland Air Force Base yesterday after work!  68 degrees, low humidity, bright blue cloudless skies.  There are two parts to Lackland Air Force Base, the 'training side" where all the basic trainees, Basic Training Instructors, etc., live and work, and the other side which has the Military Exchange, Theater, hospital, commissary, one of the gyms, other military offices, etc.  The two sides of the base are separated by a highway and there are various pedestrian overpass bridges to get from one side to the other if you are on foot. I started out at the gym on the Training Side and then ran  from side to side, working my way down the base by going and back and forth across the pedestrian bridges, starting at the first one, crossed over the next one, crossed back on the next one and so forth.  So a bit of "hillwork" on this beautiful day and everything went great, I felt great, and I ended up with 4 miles.  And talk about 'small world"..as I was passing the base aircraft display - there is a big field with all kinds of different planes, jets helicopters, etc, on display - there was a family there taking photos of each other in front of one of the jets (SR-71, for those familiar with aircraft).  I stopped and asked if they would like a photo of them all together, I'd be glad to take it for them.  So I took the photo for them and then had a nice talk with the oldest guy there - about my age, and the grandfather of one of the young men there who was graduating from Basic Training (Friday is Graduation Day for the basic trainees who have completed training, with a big parade, etc.) - and it turns out we knew each other, lol.  We were both stationed together at RAF Mildenhall in England - which is why he was getting a photo with the SR-71 jet, that's the type of aircraft we had at RAF Mildenhall.   Small world indeed!  We had a 'memory-fest' chat for about 10 minutes before his wife, kids, and grandkids finally had enough of  "old man war stories", lol, and dragged him off to get some dinner.  So a nice little interlude during my run/walk, and then I was off again to finish up the last 2 miles.

Today is a rest day and at lunch I went and picked up my packets, one for my Saturday 5K and one for my Sunday 5K.  Gail and I are going out tonite to Alamo Draft House Cinema to see "Monuments Men". It's a nice theater where you can sit at a table, order dinner, and then enjoy the movie while you dine.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

From the Internet.

My cornbread r round too, I make it in my cast-iron skillet! Smile

No running today, just weights, but I felt stiff and awful without a quick shakeout on the treadmill to get the blood moving. Next time I'll hop on even if it's just for a few minutes. Long run day tomorrow, supposed to be 40F (hooray!) with showers (meh) when we start at 8:00.

I'm super seriously thinking about a 15K on the 29th. Crazy. I'll see how tomorrow goes and get my coach's input before I make a final call on whether to attempt it or not - if he thinks it's a bad idea for me I'll forget about it. Poking around online, it sounds like a couple of the early miles are on unpaved roads, which might be kinder to my legs than my usual long run routes (all pavement all the time at this time of year), and there is a monster hill about halfway through that I will plan to walk.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Wow, PAD, 45 miles on the elliptical, that is SOME energy you have there!

FISH Fry, Jerry?  Oh, the smell, the smell!    However, maybe the Irish whiskey offsets the smell of the fish...

Good luck with your race tomorrow, Zelanie!  Please avoid any bridges while doing it.

Awood...19th century treadmill....you must have had one heckuva workout!

Happy Biking, Damaris?  What..no bike shorts photo of you?

Hope you get that rain in, Bin, so you can get your air cleaned and smoke clean the plants! 

Jack, I guess this means I have to now send you my shirt that says "Mustache Rides.. 5 Cents.." 

Well, HsM, glad it was only his mirror that got knocked off, it could've been worse!  So why does HIS  mirror being knocked off prevent you from driving your car on big roads?

Yay for warmer weather for you, Ginny!  Enjoy the outside run!

So what did you finally end up doing, Cherie?  Hope your legs feel better now.

Congrats on the 3 miles, StoneFence. Petfoods acquired?  That's your snow emergency meal if you get snowed in?  Or are you fattening the dog up, just in case?

There you go, Jimmy, nice running for you!   Wow...good luck to your cousin!

Yeah, Lauren..unless those unpaved roads are a mix of gravel, etc, or the paths are very rocky....that kind of surface can be pretty unstable and not so kind to your legs!  You might want to check to see exactly what kind of off-road terrain it is.   Good luck, whatever you decide to do!   And good luck with the long run tomorrow!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Singer who runs a smidge

Well, HsM, glad it was only his mirror that got knocked off, it could've been worse!  So why does HIS  mirror being knocked off prevent you from driving your car on big roads?

It doesn't, it prevents me from driving HIS car on big roads while he gets mine serviced! 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Zelanie

My marathon isn't until October.

There are two bridges in my race tomorrow. Well, the same bridge twice- mile 1 and mile 10. Yikes!

GinnyinPA

Lauren - if you do an 8 or 9 miler this weekend, you'll have a good idea of the distance, especially if you can find a somewhat hilly route to run.

Scotty - small world indeed.  Sounds like you've got a busy weekend planned.  Have fun on your races.  I love the photo of the dog on the TM.

Cold wind in my face on most of the run.  I had to keep the bill of my hat so low, to keep it on my head, I could barely see.  Good thing I was running in a quiet neighborhood or I would have pulled a Scotty and run into something large, like the school bus that passed me twice.  It was a good run.

SheCan

SF--- yuck @ all the weather you're still dealing with!

Jimmy-- don't over do it tonight.  I'm so glad to hear you're pumped for tomorrow.  Hope that energy translates into Jimmy speed!

Ginny-- I swear the whole rest of the countries weather has gone nuts this year.  Maybe you and DH didn't take long enough of a vacation!

Scotty-- what a weirdly nice meeting yesterday!  Strange things do happen.  Glad you had some fun reminiscing. Enjoy your movie at the fancy pants theater tonight.  And good luck & good weather this weekend with your races.

My run went great, and I ended up with 6 miles.  Yesterday I got in 4.  So I'm feeling pretty good.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

You could swim around it :-)

My marathon isn't until October.

There are two bridges in my race tomorrow. Well, the same bridge twice- mile 1 and mile 10. Yikes!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

The roads are pretty flooded.  I think I'll run inside today,and evaluate the roads again tomorrow.  At least I have 3 outdoor runs in the past week.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

1 mile on the TM and 4.65 bike miles.  Light day but I was tired all day.  After all, court twice this week and 4 days of running for the first time in 3 weeks can tire even this bad ass.

Damaris

SheCan

1 mile on the TM and 4.65 bike miles.  Light day but I was tired all day.  After all, court twice this week and 4 days of running for the first time in 3 weeks can tire even this bad ass.

LOL  Even the mighty Docket is allowed to get tired.  Though i did read where Zelanie said she had a race this weekend, and at first I thought it was you!  I was like "What the heck!"

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

LOL  Even the mighty Docket is allowed to get tired.  Though i did read where Zelanie said she had a race this weekend, and at first I thought it was you!  I was like "What the heck!"

There is a 5K in my backyard....

But I don't think 5Ks are fun and if not able to race it why bother?  I understand those who do, but it's too SHORT! 

Damaris

SheCan

LMAO, I hear you.  That's probably why I never run 5k "races".  I'm too slow to race them properly anyway, so why bother.  Well it'll be no time before you are racing again.  Do you have your eye on something yet?

Cherie