Beginners and Beyond

Pearl Izumi Ads (Read 123 times)

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

On behalf of the forum, we apologize for discussing something that you're not interested in.  Let's go back to talking about your swimming.  Why didn't you go to the Olympic Team Trials?

I guess some people missed this part Roll eyes

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Birdwell

On behalf of the forum, we apologize for discussing something that you're not interested in.  Let's go back to talking about your swimming.  Why didn't you go to the Olympic Team Trials?

I accept your apology.

In all reality, the dog ad, while in horribly poor taste, is getting lots of publicity. I chuckle each time I see it, but I'm a horrible person (I clap each and every time Leonardo DiCaprio drowns in "Titanic")

Q2: can't really do it justice in a few words. Life's worked out pretty well since I didn't pursue that route.

The wife and kids like me spending time with them

B-Plus

I've never seen these ads. I like them. I guess they won't be sponsoring 26.2 stickers anytime soon.

Daves_Not_Here

Wow...That "dog" ad brings back some recent memories about my last run with Hazel, our Pit Bull/Lab mix. I wanted to get her ready for running the Running With The Bears HM last month so I started to take her out on some runs with me. The last run I took her on was "supposed" to be seven miles (3 laps around Lake Tabeaud). It was around 90 degrees and she didn't even make it two miles. I couldn't even get the girl to jump up into the back of the Excursion for the trip home. Needless to say, I opted not to take Hazel on the HM

Poor taste for a commercial to be sure, but it does happen...even if you're a slow runner like myself. Heh.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I think awood's sarcasm was lost on Birdwell

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Birdwell

I think awood's sarcasm was lost on Birdwell

No, I got it. I simply chose to ignore it.

Birdwell

I see it for what it is.  It's a marketing strategy.  It has nothing to do with what they actually care about.

I used to promote powerlifting meets, and sell supplies, etc.  Every sport, including running, needs the casual participant, weekend warrior and back of the pack crowd.  If only the elites showed up, they wouldn't be able to afford the expo, road closure, security, advertising, awards, etc.  I don't think the true competitors really mind the people who aren't in a corral with them.  I think many appreciated them, and respect them.

Pearl Izumi simply sees their niche as marketing to a small portion of the running community, which is the more elitist type of runner.  They play into their ego, and know that they'll pay more to not be lumped in with what they consider, "joggers".  Meanwhile, Pearl Izumi can spend less on marketing because they're targeting a small crowd.  They can manufacture in a smaller facility, with less overhead and focus on margin over market share.

Their shoes don't make you a real runner.  They aren't taking up a social cause.  The point is to get the money from your account, and into their account.  That's all.  It's nothing to get excited about, or upset about.

Btw, did you participate in the powerlifting meets? Any chance of getting good weightlifting advice that pertains to runners?

I'm trying to find good excersises for knees and hips, other than squats and lunges (looking for variety)

Kittyface

Tragic hip

reply below the quote. reply below the quote.  reply below the quote. *rocksbackandforth* reply below the quote.

Daves_Not_Here

Btw, did you participate in the powerlifting meets? Any chance of getting good weightlifting advice that pertains to runners?

I'm trying to find good excersises for knees and hips, other than squats and lunges (looking for variety)

Deadlifts.

Birdwell

reply below the quote. reply below the quote.  reply below the quote. *rocksbackandforth* reply below the quote.

Like this?

Love the Half

I see it for what it is.  It's a marketing strategy.  It has nothing to do with what they actually care about.

I used to promote powerlifting meets, and sell supplies, etc.  Every sport, including running, needs the casual participant, weekend warrior and back of the pack crowd.  If only the elites showed up, they wouldn't be able to afford the expo, road closure, security, advertising, awards, etc.  I don't think the true competitors really mind the people who aren't in a corral with them.  I think many appreciated them, and respect them.

Pearl Izumi simply sees their niche as marketing to a small portion of the running community, which is the more elitist type of runner.  They play into their ego, and know that they'll pay more to not be lumped in with what they consider, "joggers".  Meanwhile, Pearl Izumi can spend less on marketing because they're targeting a small crowd.  They can manufacture in a smaller facility, with less overhead and focus on margin over market share.

Their shoes don't make you a real runner.  They aren't taking up a social cause.  The point is to get the money from your account, and into their account.  That's all.  It's nothing to get excited about, or upset about.

Agreed.  And given that people repost it and talk about it, they get free advertising.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

happylily

The thing that turns me off about the first ads is the long text. I only glance at ads, so if they expect me to read the whole thing, they wasted money buying a whole page for their long sermons/ads. As for the content, they just sound like they're saying that their shoes are for those people who consider their training "serious business". Sounds very pretentious and exclusive to me, but no reason to make a big deal about it.

Now, you're all going to hate me for what I'm going to say here, but apparently the ad was meant for a Canadian market, so I guess that we Canadians are a bit twisted in general... The dog ad is dark humor and, to me, it's funny, even though I've had pets all my life and I love animals. I understand that it is humor. I don't feel that looking at this ad would incite anyone to go out and kill a dog. That is where I would draw the line and ask for a ban. Also, I work with children, and honestly, sometimes I have visions of me hanging them by their shirts on a coat rack and leaving them there kicking their feet. If I saw an ad with something like that, shown in a humorous way, I'd laugh. But of course, I never want to see a child hurt in real life, nor do I wish to see a hurt or dying animal.

We could all just pretend that the dog only needs hydration and that after his master offers him some of his Gatorade, Fido will get up and continue his trail run. But then it would become a Gatorade ad, I guess...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Baboon

delicate flower

Do you what the penalty for animal cruelty is in this state?  Well...it's probably pretty stiff.

<3

Dad on the run.

I have to agree with happy lilly, the dog ad made me chuckle. People need to get over themselves and see the ad for what it is. I have 2 dogs myself that I love very much and this ad doesn't offend me.

Perhaps the reason I find it funny though is because I know how many people are offended by it and the over sensitivity of today's society is just pathetic.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

happylily

Do you what the penalty for animal cruelty is in this state?  Well...it's probably pretty stiff.

Well, the dog ad has something good about it in that it makes us realize that dogs can indeed suffer during a long run. We always think that because they have four legs, and they love to run, that they will love running in our company. After seeing this ad, if I had a dog, I would think twice about the necessity to bring my dog with me on my long runs. They cannot express their discomfort the way we can. So thank you to PI for reminding us to take extra care of our 4 legged friends. Smile

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010