Beginners and Beyond

Thus does 2:59:59 disappear from my fall agenda (Read 189 times)

Pinktastic

Sending you positive, healing vibes, LtH!   Don't give up on yourself yet!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

catwhoorg

Labrat

I'll echo what Jay says above.  I too have struggled with back pain at times, due to an unfortunate lift I made 25 years ago.  For me anti-inflamatories and some rest let the condition subside.  Also irregular limb length is rather common.  Studies have shown nearly 32% of military recruits have a differnce of between 1/5 to 3/5 of an inch in leg length.  Be careful of what your Chiro says.

You often will counsel us in harse terms, time to get it back.  Get a 2nd opinion, 9mm is only 1/3 of an inch, another doctor could measure you with less of a difference.  Why is this now a problem after 5 years of running and over 10,000 miles.  I am suspicious of his leg length issue (problems = monies to him).

I'll be slightly harsh.

The average chiropractor is a quack, its a crying shame that insurance covers them as there is no scientific justification for most of what they do.

Go see a real orthopedic doctor and if necessary go see a PT or OT.

Oh and if my family doctor ever recommended going to see one, I'd be looking for a new doctor and telling them why.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

I wouldn't write off the race just yet. Three weeks is a lot of time and you'd be tapering anyway. You fitness isn't the question, but whether you can run pain free and not do any damage. Take it day by day as the healing progresses.

I agree. See how the next few days go..you never know.

It does suck though. Good luck.

LRB

The average chiropractor is a quack, its a crying shame that insurance covers them as there is no scientific justification for most of what they do.

A quack?  lmao!

catwhoorg

Labrat

A quack?  lmao!

Sorry. Thats rather harsh on quacks.

Trick or treatment

A review of its high points

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

StepbyStep-SH

Sorry to hear about this. That sucks.

I'll leave the advice to wiser, more experienced (or just more outspoken) forumites, and simply send my wishes for speedy healing.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

GC100k

Well that sucks.

I've never been to a chiropractor, but from my friends' experiences, according to chiropractors everybody has one leg shorter than the other and needs adjustments every week for the rest of their lives.  But if it works for your back, more power to you.

Ditto for PTs and massage therapists and anything else therapists.  I'm from the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" camp, have never been to any of those things, and go to a doctor about twice a decade.  But if it is broke, then fix it.

happylily

Well that sucks.

I've never been to a chiropractor, but from my friends' experiences, according to chiropractors everybody has one leg shorter than the other and needs adjustments every week for the rest of their lives.  But if it works for your back, more power to you.

Ditto for PTs and massage therapists and anything else therapists.  I'm from the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" camp, have never been to any of those things, and go to a doctor about twice a decade.  But if it is broke, then fix it.

I agree with this. When I had my heel pain, due most probably to PF, my physical therapist was trying to get me to see him twice a week, until the pain disappeared. But at $70 a visit, just to have my foot stretched and iced, no thank you... After 4 visits with him, I knew exactly what to do: stretch at home, ice and learn to be patient. There is no magic to it and we can take care of ourselves better than anyone else...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

I'll be slightly harsh.

Go see a real orthopedic doctor and if necessary go see a PT or OT.

Oh and if my family doctor ever recommended going to see one, I'd be looking for a new doctor and telling them why.

Well I won't defend chiropactors too much, but some people feel they really help, so more power to them.

I will say that as long as we are being harsh, my opinion is that when it comes to back issues, the "real doctors" and OT's/PT's are equally quackish. I had chronic problems for a long time, and essentially alternated between orthopedics & chiropractors, because I was always so frustrated with the last guy.

Dave

meaghansketch

So sorry to hear this, Brad.  I've seen that singular goal in your sig line every time you've posted for a long time.  How hard it is to work so hard towards one goal, giving up chances at other PRs and other goals, only to have it the achievement of it delayed.  Still, I (tentatively) agree with George and several of the other posters.  It's possible a 2:59 might be in the cards if you can get to the start line healthy and pain-free.  An extreme taper is not necessarily a goal-ender if it's at the end of an otherwise successful season of training like you've had.  Still, you know your body and your fitness better than anyone, and you are a smart runner and racer.  I have no doubt that you will make good decisions at the start line and during the race that will get you to the best possible result given the circumstances, and if you don't get there this fall, then Myrtle Beach seems like a very good plan B.

TakeAHike

That's a real kick in the gut.  I am sorry that this happened to you.  I have to admit that I am also suffering a bit of spectator pain. Like when the ump blows a call in the bottom of the 9th and your favorite team takes an undeserved loss.  I have been looking forward to hearing about you sub 3:00 attempt, but it looks like that will need to wait.  I wish you a quick recovery.  Hopefully, you heal quickly and can get more out of this race than you expect.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

LRB

Incredibly, I have a chiro, a physical therapist, a massage therapist and a sports doc.  I probably would have never been able to say that had I not started running!  I do think they all have a place in a runners arsenal depending on what is going on with you.

Of the four, my chiro completely dropped the ball with my current issue, and was more interested in adjusting me than listening to me.  But that is not a knock on chiropractors, that is a knock on that one.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I'll trust my experience, and the Journal of American Medicine.  Chiropractic care works.

Trick or treatment

A review of its high points

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

lewjeffrey

Hope you heal quickly and have a good microbrew or import to drown your sorrows

Gator eye

Chiropractor saying one leg is longer than the other and the Dentist saying you have extra minerals in your spit so you have to pay for the deep cleaning are just money makers to keep you coming back more often than your insurance will pay.