Beginners and Beyond

Races this Weekend (Read 62 times)

TakeAHike

I have a small charity 5K tomorrow.  I hope the course is accurate and that I am able to line up close to the front.  This is not a goal race, but I haven't run a 5K since April and I expect to set a new PR.

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

LRB

The Motor City Kitties ain't got nuttin'! /smacktalk.

Well at some point, the tide has to change right?  : : life long Lions fan unable to engage in smack talk because his team usually falls flat on their face so he resorts to reasoning : :

Antipodean

I've got a 10 mile race that I'm planning on using as a long run. It's one week after my half and I'm focusing instead on a one mile race next Saturday. It's my first time to go in a race adn not 'race it'. Hope I've got the discipline!

Julie

"It's not the mountain we conquer, but ourselves."

~ Sir Edmund Hillary

Well at some point, the tide has to change right?  : : life long Lions fan unable to engage in smack talk because his team usually falls flat on their face so he resorts to reasoning : :

I'm still scarred from going to the GB games at the Silverdome (ticket holder) and you had a bunch of cheeseheads yelling in your ear from behind, to the side and in front of you. The most obnoxious fans EVAH! At least it's not as bad at Ford Field.

LRB

I'm focusing instead on a one mile race next Saturday.

There is a whole lotta awesome right there girlfriend!  I wanna hear all about it!  Drop in the dailies if you do not do a race report.

LRB

I'm still scarred from going to the GB games at the Silverdome (ticket holder) and you had a bunch of cheeseheads yelling in your ear from behind, to the side and in front of you. The most obnoxious fans EVAH! At least it's not as bad at Ford Field.

I will never forget the immediate emptiness, the absolute finality of it all after Sterling Sharp's touchdown grab in the one playoff game at the dome, talk about a what the fuck just happened moment!

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

This one on Saturday...

Put on by the gym of the university where I work.    Since I am university staff, I got a nice discount entry fee of $15, with a goodie bag that included race shirt, discount coupons, a small bag of various candies (cuz it's Halloween month), a running headband, and some different colored highlighters (I guess that's the "education" theme thing, lol, teacher-oriented).    Course is on the campus and this one usually gets a nice turn-out, including the college cheerleaders for our sports teams...so I get to chase cheerleader Great Legs, oh yeah!  I won't catch those speedy young ladies at my pace, of course, lol, but even so... Big grin

Sunday, I will be doing the San Antonio RoadRunners Members Appreciation 5K Run, celebrating the 30th anniversary of the running club I belong to.  Nice entry fee for members too:  FREE!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Good luck to everyone! Sending out positive vibes to everyone racing this weekend!

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

You Rang?

I'm unning the Chapman University/Toyota of Orange 5k tomorrow morning.  It's the only 5k I'll run this year.  I attended Chapman Law School a long long time ago.  I've been recruited onto the law school's team.  It has four students, two professors and one other alumnus.  I hope not to drag the team's time down too much.

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

Rondog65

I Completed the Harwich Cranberry Harvest Half Marathon in less than a spectacular result, but I finished.  2:06:02.

A similar story we all have heard, I went out to fast and wasn't able to keep the pace.

The big picture is that I completed all 3 of the Cape Cod Half Marathon Trilogy races for 2013 and earned my jacket!!  Prior to this year I have never run a Half Marathon and now I have done 3 with 1 being a sub 2:00.  I will collect my jacket in February 2014 with a proud sense of accomplishment.

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

happylily

I Completed the Harwich Cranberry Harvest Half Marathon in less than a spectacular result, but I finished.  2:06:02.

A similar story we all have heard, I went out to fast and wasn't able to keep the pace.

The big picture is that I completed all 3 of the Cape Cod Half Marathon Trilogy races for 2013 and earned my jacket!!  Prior to this year I have never run a Half Marathon and now I have done 3 with 1 being a sub 2:00.  I will collect my jacket in February 2014 with a proud sense of accomplishment.

Congratulations! For a first year of running HMs, I think you did great!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

RSX

Very cool. Congrats!! As far as your disappointment did you run in rain today? It has been raining an hour north of you most of the day.

That's definitely an accomplishment! Congrats and good job on the hard work. Smile

As for me, I completed my first 5k this morning with a time of 33:21. Really proud of my time, considering I was thinking it was going to be difficult to break the 35:00 mark.

5K: 33:21 (2013)

Rondog65

Deneb19, that is awesome that beat your 35:00 goal at 33:21.  Congrats!!

RSX weather wasn't a negative factor for the race.  It was actually nice running weather overcast and cool, however it was surprisingly humid.  Did get some light rain around the 10 mile mark for a short time, but that didn't affect the running.  I got the training in and got my runs in, however the quality wasn't the same as the winter/spring training session (lost my mojo).  I will keep at it and ride it out.

Thanks Lily, it was a great running year, I am proud of what I accomplished.  I enjoyed reading and the encouragement from the RunningAhead family.  I spent more time lurking than chiming in, it was motivational never the less.

Ron's PRs 5K 24:14 (12/07/2013); Half Marathon 1:53:33 (5/26/2013)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Great job, Rundog!

Damaris