Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES! (Read 52 times)

LRB

He can ride faster than me.  Like 20mph or so.  A little slower for super long rides like the Ironman bike.   I can ride faster when I ride with him because he makes a good wind block.  But I run faster! 

Like a mofo!

Cyberic

Good (late, almost lunch time) morning!  I walked 2/ran 3 this morning, sorta fast-ish.  I forgot my drugs, so my reflux kicked up a little and made breathing a little difficult.  Good thing that's optional!

Just to amuse myself, I tried the breathing technique that Cy refered to yesterday, the even/odd pattern.  Heh.  That's a bit like patting my head and rubbing my tummy.  I had to think about every breath, or I reverted back to my normal pattern.  I decided, if I need to switch feet, it's easer to just do a stutter step every once in a while and switch.  Although I do like listening to my breathing, just so I'll know if it stops.

It took me a little while to get used to it. But I stuck to it, because I thought the article made sense. Now it is natural, but I have no idea if it is helping or not.

bluerun

Super B****

Blue, did you at least have a nice vacation? I think you were lucky to be able to get away somewhere warm.

I will try to fit in 12-13 miles tonight if I don't finish work too late.

What vacation?  Oh, you  mean the one I didn't even want to go on anymore since I get that way when I'm depressed, not interested in doing anything?  That one I nearly DID throw in the towel on when the taxi that was supposed to take me to the airport "forgot all about it"?  The one where my planned dives were canceled since the other divers missed their flight?  THAT vacation?

It was about as good as can be expected, I guess.  And I still suck at applying sunscreen, so now I have a darker patch of skin on my chest in the shape of the Wu-Tang Clan logo.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

bluerun

Super B****

Yeah I've had my share of issues (ITB, achilles, SI joint, sciatica pain to name a few) and in no instance (or very few) can I recall doing absolutely nothing while waiting to heal and coming back without a problem. You are either working on loosening a tight muscle, strengthening a weak one or correcting an imbalance of some sort. Otherwise, once you return to the level you were at the problem may return.

Have you worked with someone who deals specifically with runners (not necessarily a doctor.), or someone who can ID muscle imbalances?  I've had the good fortune of working with two people who were really good at that.

Yeah, I DID that.  Evidently to little effect.

But I'm going to shell out a few hundred bucks to do it again, because I'm insane.  (The osteo doctor recommended I do it with someone in particular, and, well... I can't say it doesn't work if I don't try it.  Even though I can probably just throw the money in the trash, for all the good it will do me.  Apparently "your body is just a completely useless piece of shit" is not a real medical diagnosis.)

chasing the impossible

bluerun

Super B****

He can ride faster than me.  Like 20mph or so.  A little slower for super long rides like the Ironman bike.   I can ride faster when I ride with him because he makes a good wind block.  But I run faster! 

I can do it faster now!  Well, on the trainer.  Which might not even be calibrated to the correct wheel size, so for all I know, it's really 15 MPH.  But the point is that I'm comparing it to itself, so it's faster than what it was.

But on the road?  Yeah, I'd be creeping along.  (I assume.  I haven't actually ridden a bike outside in over three years.)

chasing the impossible

LRB

(I haven't actually ridden a bike since the Fonz proposed to Pinky Tuscadero.)

bluerun

Super B****

I had to Google that.  Because I wasn't born yet.

chasing the impossible

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Back from court, finally.  I see that you've been well entertained in conversation.

Damaris

DavePNW

That episode was awesome. I mean, yeah, I wasn't born yet either.

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

That episode was awesome. I mean, yeah, I wasn't born yet either.

See, "episode" means you have to watch something.  I can't sit still long enough to do that.

chasing the impossible

Baboon

delicate flower

LOLOL LRB is old.

<3

happylily

What vacation?  Oh, you  mean the one I didn't even want to go on anymore since I get that way when I'm depressed, not interested in doing anything?  That one I nearly DID throw in the towel on when the taxi that was supposed to take me to the airport "forgot all about it"?  The one where my planned dives were canceled since the other divers missed their flight?  THAT vacation?

It was about as good as can be expected, I guess.  And I still suck at applying sunscreen, so now I have a darker patch of skin on my chest in the shape of the Wu-Tang Clan logo.

I'm truly sorry that you could not find enjoyment in your trip. Usually, going away does the trick for me when I feel down (believe it or not, I am not always "happy" lily...)

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

DavePNW

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

I'm truly sorry that you could not find enjoyment in your trip. Usually, going away does the trick for me when I feel down (believe it or not, I am not always "happy" lily...)

Oh, it's usually that way for me too.  Except that when the one thing you've devoted your entire existence to preventing happens, that's not going to cut it.  (Besides, what fun is a vacation if you can't do anything but sit on your ass?  I know some people go away solely to sit on a beach and do nothing, but I'm not one of those people.  It's not fun to me.)

chasing the impossible

onemile

I can do it faster now!  Well, on the trainer.  Which might not even be calibrated to the correct wheel size, so for all I know, it's really 15 MPH.  But the point is that I'm comparing it to itself, so it's faster than what it was.

But on the road?  Yeah, I'd be creeping along.  (I assume.  I haven't actually ridden a bike outside in over three years.)

I am actually slower on the trainer. You would think you could go faster without having to stop at intersections and such.  But no. Mine feels harder.