Beginners and Beyond

returning to normal after blood donation (Read 44 times)

music_girl117

I won't actually be donating, but rather I'm in a research study that wants a total of ~300 mL of blood taken over two consecutive days (that's a total of approximately 2/3 of a pint).  This was originally scheduled for Sept. 14-15, but now they want to change it to Sept. 24-25.  That's only 9-10 days before a 5k that I was hoping to race all-out after some strong speedwork since my last 5k (in May).  Ugh.  Will I still be feeling the effects 9-10 days later?  I don't think I've ever given blood in any capacity since I've been a runner (I do give platelets a few times a year, but that is a different animal).

I don't see myself dropping out of the research study or skipping the race; I'm just wondering if I might need to adjust my expectations for the 5k.

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

Zelanie

I donated blood last month, and tried to do a track workout 5 days later, and really couldn't do it. I did one 12 days after donation, and was fine.  So, maybe?

StepbyStep-SH

When I've donated blood in the past, I could still feel the effects for 5-10 days. My advice, if it isn't counter to what you are supposed to do for the study, would be to try to boost your iron starting now, and then be very good about continuing to get plenty of iron and fluids on the days of and the weeks following the blood draws.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

I used to donate frequently.  Then I started running *a lot*  and it really took my workouts down - crappy runs - crappy performance  just crappy for a couple for nearly 2 weeks.

Then I started platelets and that went well - except I have very large but very soft veins.   The combination means that 99% of the techs fk it up and either collapse the vein or cause a blowout  *or the rate is so slow it takes over 2 hours!*.     After 3 horribly bruised arms (didn't hurt at all...)   I decided I didn't feel comfortable with the procedure.

LRB

We are bombarded with charity requests at my work on a year 'round basis. If I gave just a little something to each of them be it cash, time or what have you, there would be nothing left for myself.

Therefore, I pick and choose who and where I give and since becoming a runner, I have not donated blood and would not dream of doing so.

The organ donor box is checked on my drivers license and I give monetary donations from time to time and that will have to do.

This does not hep your current situation unfortunately, and for that the only thing I can say is to eat beets.

Hip Redux

I've never had it affect me for more than a day or so, but then again I've never tried to *race* soon after a donation.  The last time I gave a little "extra" too when they screwed up and I was basically free bleeding onto the floor for a few minutes until they could figure out how to make it stop.  

Making sure you are hydrated and are up on your iron will be helpful.

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

The good news is that it is a very quick way to lose a pound.  The bad news is that if you try to capitalize on that weight loss you will likely pass out with-in the mile.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

The last time I donated blood I tried an 11 miler the morning after.  I felt so tired I almost fell asleep at the streetlight.

Damaris

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

The last time I donated blood I tried an 11 miler the morning after.  I felt so tired I almost fell asleep at the streetlight.

I bet!

You Rang?

Once I declare my international travels, (Laos, Thailand. India, Burma or whatever it is called today)  the folks in the blood mobile are no longer interested in my blood.

Rick 

PR: 5k 25:01 (10/15) 10k: 57:44 (7/14) HM: 1:57 (5/15) FM: 4:55 (1/15)

Slymoon Runs

race obsessed

Once I declare my international travels, (Laos, Thailand. India, Burma or whatever it is called today)  the folks in the blood mobile are no longer interested in my blood.

Yup...

It has been a number of years for me, but when I do state it I used to get wary stares.  Of course most of the workers have never even heard of such places...  sad.

music_girl117

Thanks for the responses.  Yeah, I don't mind giving platelets since it doesn't seem to affect my running at all (and it seems my blood type is more valuable for platelets anyway), but this losing blood thing is new to me.  Stepbystep, thanks for the advice; I wasn't given any instructions about my diet so I will make sure I am getting enough iron and fluids for sure!

Normally I would do a last hard set of intervals the Monday or Tuesday before a Sunday race, as much for mental preparation as anything.  I think I'll move that up to the day before the first blood draw and just plan on short, easy runs between then and the race, and perhaps an abbreviated race pace workout a couple of days before the race.  Worst case, if the race sucks because of the blood draw, the $140 I'm getting for being in the study can fund another 5k later on.

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

LRB

Worst case, if the race sucks because of the blood draw, the $140 I'm getting for being in the study can fund another 5k later on.

Or two or three. Smile