Beginners and Beyond

It's Monday, Monday,Monday penguins! (Read 37 times)

Dad on the run.

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Dad on the run.

Sitting here at the hospital. Mom is having surgery today for her diverticulitis. She should be carried back round 7:30. Praying everything goes perfectly.

6 scheduled for tonight.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Take good care of your mom, Jimmy.  Hope everyone had a nice weekend.  Mine was and even got the LR done. Short run this afternoon.

Philliefan33

Good morning all.

Jimmy, I hope all goes well with your mother's surgery.

Jerry -- good morning

I'm firming up my race schedule for the rest of the year.  It looks like I will be doing marathon relay (four runners, 6-7 miles each) in my hometown in October.  My running teammates will be women who were HS teammates on the soccer, volleyball, and basketball teams.  We all graduated in 1982  It should be fun -- this will be the first race for one of our runners, and a few of our HS friends who don't care to run will be there to cheer and join us for a post-race beverage.

I'm also decided on my next HM -- the Delaware Canal HM on November 16th.

I missed my LR on Saturday because DH and I took a nice mountain bike ride instead.  For penance, I made myself run my hilly route in the mountains yesterday.  Some sort of run planned tonight.

Bin Running

Hello from Bali. HM went well. It's a little short but I'm running it for fun.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Hey Penguins!

JBlack - I'll keep your Mom in my prayers.  Moms come before miles.  If you don't get your run in, don't worry about it too much.  The road will be right where you left it.

I slept wrong last night, and woke up with an intense pain in my upper back.  I have to work today, but I'm taking time between calls and reports to try to work it out.  I wanted to get a few miles in this morning, but will have to see how the back feels after work.  I haven't been to the chiropractor in years.  So, I'd probably need to get x-rays done before he could do anything, but it would probably be worth it right now.  Ugh!

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  DH and I are back from Minnesota, woo-hoo!  We had a good time, some good science, some really great food, a little rain, and mostly we're glad to be home!  It was nice gathering the pets back in from their various boarding places -- Kaycee wasn't too fussed about being at the vet, but Dusty was SO GLAD to get home!!  Chewbacca missed us like crazy, and he's been telling us off for three straight days now.  Crazy wookie cat.  We flew back on Friday, which was nice because then we had Saturday and Sunday to do laundry, sleep, get back in the swing before I headed back to work this morning.  And I'm not too buried today -- my tech took good care of things while I was gone.  And even better, DH and I restarted c25k this morning, so W1D1 is done, baby!!  Of course, my knees are reminding me to do my exercises this afternoon ...

jblack -- hope all goes well for your mom!!

Jerryb -- glad you had a good weekend!!

Phillie -- sounds like a fun relay race!!

Bin -- glad your HM went well!!

Awood -- back problems suck!!  Hope yours works itself out!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

jblack Hope your mom's surgery goes/went well!

bin can't wait to hear more about the HM, enjoy Bali!

another SRD, but will get back to regular training tomorrow!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

JBJ: I hope things are ok with your mom.

Jerry: enjoy the run. Glad you had a nice weekend.

PF: that relay sounds like a lot of fun. Running penance, I like it!

Bin: have fun in Bali!

Awood: it's time for a Sleep Number bed!

HsM: when is the 5k?

I ran six miles this morning while DD was swimming. Her  workouts are just crazy and she is ripped! I am jealous of her six pack!  Smile. Here is what the kids got me for Father's Day.  Fun stuff!!

SheCan

Morning friends Smile

Jimmy-- I hope they take good care of your mother and she's alright after her surgery.

Jerry-- glad you had a nice weekend and got that LR in.

Margo-- That Marathon relay with your HS friends sounds super fun!  That'll be such a neat way to get everyone reacquainted.  From looking at your pics I'd always thought you were younger than me.  Who'oulda thunk that you graduated 2 years before me!?!  I had to giggle when I read that you gave yourself penance for missing your long run. Good for you for doing that hilly run.  Boy though, a mountain bike ride must have been a nice reprieve from running.

Bin-- hope you're having a blast and wish we were all there with you!  Thanks for checking in, and letting us know how the HM went.  When you have time, you'll have to fill us in on some details.

Awood-- that stinks about your back.  Have you been trying to stretch it out any on your own today?

Hopesmom-- glad to have you back!  It seems like you were gone for a long time.  Congratulations on restarting the c25k program.  You'll be back to running in no time now.  Just be super careful with those knees!

kristin-- hi, hi!

Jack-- awesome socks!  Glad you had a good pop's day.  LOL@ you being jealous of your DD's 6 pack.  Heck from the pics I've seen, you and your wife both are ripped too.

Well today was supposed to be my LR, but I gave up just after 10 miles.  I'm really getting the summer time blues with my running.  But at least I'm still out there and haven't totally given up yet.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

Singer who runs a smidge

Wow, where on earth is everybody?  I leave the igloo for a week and everybody skedaddles?  Scottydog?  Damaris?

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

From the Internet.

Hi pens!

Jimmy - hope your mom's surgery went well!

Nice job Bin! Can't wait to hear more about the HM, Bali sounds amazing.

Ugh hope your back feels better soon Awood - back pain is the worst, so hard to ignore.

Woo congrats on restarting C25K HopesMom!

Nice socks Jack!

Cherie - hey, 10 miles is a lot more than most people can do. Summer is just not ideal running weather. I've been trying to get my tired butt out of bed by 6 to run before the heat of the day - today I got out at 6:30, was still a little too warm for my liking by the time I was done.

30 minutes on the track this morning - 3 minutes walk/7 jog x2, then tried 2 minutes walk/8 jog and felt pretty good. Ended with a few relatively slow/easy strides on the grass to stretch my legs out. Bumping back up to 40 minutes on Thursday.

N-Bug

Will run for beer.

jblackjr - home you mom's surgery has went well.

Jerry - enjoy the short run

PF33 - Very cool getting together with HS friends like that for a run.

Bin - Some might argue a bit short on the HM is ok.  LOL

Awood - bummer on the back pain.  I REFUSED to go to a chiropractor until recently.  It does make a positive difference.

HM - sounds likes it was a blast.

kristin - enjoy the SRD

JK - those are some seriously loud socks!

Cherie - 10 is better than none.  It can be tough (obviously).  Hang in there.

AFM - been awhile since I checked in.  Was feeling a bit burned out but I'm back.  I ran my most recent HM this past Saturday.  FUN race.  HUGE hill at mile 7 that was a half mile up and and a half mile down.  I finished in 2:19:14 - very pleased with that.  Also very proud of my DW whom ran her first 5k.  She did great.  Today and yesterday SRD's.  I'm feeling GREAT except for what I think is some sciatic pain. Icing it when I get home.  Once I'm up and moving it loosens up.  I need to get started on my full marathon training and soon.  That one is the first week of October.

CATCHA!

Sloooow.

It's eerily quite in the Penguins lately!

Jimmy- Hope your mums surgery went well!

Jerry- Have fun on your short run.

Phillie- A relay sounds like a bunch of fun! Silly question given the name, but the half goes along canals? That would be pretty cool.

Bin- Congrats! Where is the RR?

Awood- Can you get a chiro appointment soon? Seems pretty miserable right now Sad

HopesMom- Yay for first day of C25K!

Kristin- Enjoy your rest day Smile

Jack- Glad you had a nice Fathers Day! I bet you're so proud of seeing everything your DD is achieving.

Cherie- 10 miles is still great! I think you can double the mileage just for hot temperature effort, lol. (2 hot miles = 4 cool miles Wink)

Lauren- Very nice run/walk. I need to get up early to run before it gets too hot, but the low here is still 78.

Today is turning into a URD, I can accept that though. I think my sleep debt is at about 10 hours, lol. My eyes are burning I'm so tired. This morning we were up at 7 to head to my DD#1's 3 hour gym class. We hung around a little while during, and the owner invited DD#2 into one of their 45 minute classes, while was nice! Not so nice for me though, as it was a mother/child class and I'm painfully shy and awkward. She had fun though. It's her birthday on Thursday, and they gave her a balloon and little pig toy.

My running aim for the week is 6, 4, 5, 4 for a total of 19.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Welcome back Vance.  Congrats on the HM and huge congrats to DW on her first 5k.