Beginners and Beyond

Vapid WednesDAILIES (Read 44 times)

LRB

Good morning.

Remember the elliptical workout and Myrtle exercises I blew off yesterday? Yeah, me neither.

Anyway, I will be adding walking lunges as well, an exercise I was never really good at (read, horrible) but now have embraced as I try to overcome the instability of my lower left side once and for all.

What's up?

Mornin'.

Rick, thank you for starting today's thread. Tell Myrtle that I say hi.

I'll do fourteen quarter-mile repeats after work. Good times, I say.

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Good morning!

I ran 10.1 slow miles.  It was a nice morning for a run.

I hope everyone has a great day!

Runner with a riding problem.

StepbyStep-SH

Nothing yesterday other than shoveling snow.

Today, 6.7 miles on some clear pavement, some packed snow, some almost glare ice. Stayed upright the entire time, which was the key objective.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

bluerun

Super B****

8.5 on the AlterG for my last run of the year.

Total miles in 2014: 1587.45

Total miles in 2015: 1588.3

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Pilates and a massage for me.

Damaris

delicate flower

Good morning, friends!  Today is a swim and bike day, the prior of which I did before sunrise this morning.  2500 tired yards (1.4 miles, took 64 minutes).  I finished the year with 60.4 miles of swimming, which isn't a lot but the majority of it was in the last three months.  Six more months of that and I should be in decent shape.  60 minutes of spin bike on the evening schedule.  I am happy to not be running today because yesterday was tiring.

OK THEN!

<3

BerthaSlayer

MM#5991

Any mileage I run today will not include hills. My calfs aren't happy.

Lori

*it's Bertha or me. My money is on me.*

**"There is no growth in the comfort zone and no comfort in the growth zone".---- Sandy**

Cyberic

Ran 10, the day after a snow storm. Easy pace was like 60-90 seconds slower, but it was fun, surprisingly. Since they don't use sand or salt in the botanical garden, there is a layer of ice under the snow, so I wore the YakTrax. The traction was there, but I realized why they are so tiring: The shoe industry is spending big bucks for the running shoes to be lighter, and I add a clunky layer of thick rubber with metal coils and spikes underneath. I'm not used to running with that much weight.

But I wore them only in the garden, for 4 miles. The 6 other miles, I was carrying them in my hands.

Since they don't use sand or salt in the botanical garden, there is a layer of ice under the snow, so I wore the YakTrax. The traction was there, but I realized why they are so tiring: The shoe industry is spending big bucks for the running shoes to be lighter, and I add a clunky layer of thick rubber with metal coils and spikes underneath. I'm not used to running with that much weight.

I did a 5k last Feb that was basically in a blizzard, with pretty questionable footing. A bunch of people were wearing YakTrax; could not imagine running 5k pace with those one. But maybe preventing your feet from sliding back with every step counteracts the extra weight and clunkiness. Either way, no one was running a true 5k pace on that day.

SRD.

Dave

Cyberic

I did a 5k last Feb that was basically in a blizzard, with pretty questionable footing. A bunch of people were wearing YakTrax; could not imagine running 5k pace with those one. But maybe preventing your feet from sliding back with every step counteracts the extra weight and clunkiness. Either way, no one was running a true 5k pace on that day.

SRD.

IMO they're not worth it in snow: they don't really stop the sliding back thing from loose snow. But on a layer of ice, they are very worth the extra weight and clunkiness.

No more marathons

IMO they're not worth it in snow: they don't really stop the sliding back thing from loose snow. But on a layer of ice, they are very worth the extra weight and clunkiness.

Have you tried machine screws in the bottoms of an old(ish) pair of running shoes?

DS did that and found them effective on packed snow and ice.

Boston 2014 - a 33 year journey

Lordy,  I hope there are tapes. 

He's a leaker!

LRB

8.5 on the AlterG for my last run of the year.

Total miles in 2014: 1587.45

Total miles in 2015: 1588.3

That's not bad all things considered. Meanwhile, I will end up a few miles short of what I ran in '14...

Like about 600 - WAAAAH.

Cyberic

Have you tried machine screws in the bottoms of an old(ish) pair of running shoes?

DS did that and found them effective on packed snow and ice.

I did that last year, before the YakTrax.

First time I tried them, I ran out the door and a huge smile appeared on my face: the sidewalks were pure ice and I was running like there was nothing to it. By the end of my run, though, a few of the screws had fell off, and I was pretty far from home, and had to come back. Pretty dangerous.

Next days, I Gorilla-glued the screws in, and put many more. They lasted longer but some were still coming loose. Not as many, though, so I could get through my run safely. But when I hit harder asphalt spots, they were very slippery (metal on cold asphalt) and I could feel the screw ends under my foot.

After a few days of trial and error, DW bought me YakTrax, and I love the fact that I can put them on and off in no time.

Zelanie

Morning!  I get to do a weight watchers meeting in the state capitol today, covering for somebody who is out of town.  Hopefully I will be dressed up enough for that crowd.

I think there's a track workout tonight, so I'll probably go.