Beginners and Beyond

Runner's World Half RR - PR! Long, but a few pics (Read 105 times)

Jess runs for bacon

(tl;dr, scroll to bottom for results)

I've been looking forward to this race for months. It was my very first half last year, and I finished in 2:46:00 then. The start is less than two miles from my house, and I had such a great time this year I couldn't wait to do it again.

Friday:

They had a shakeout run at 2:45 with Bart Yasso and Summer Sanders at the Bethlehem Towpath. I saw a friend there so we ran together. Mark Remy ran with us for a mile or so, which was super cool because he can run a ton faster than that. He's a very cool guy and his blog cracks me up. I ran this much faster than I wanted to, about 15 seconds faster than goal half pace. But when in Rome I guess. Here's the pic RW snapped of the group. I'm on the bottom right (you can kind of see I have my Blerch shirt on, a bunch of people recognized it).

After this I went over to the expo, where I went a little crazy. I got two new Running Skirts (and they actually recognized me from last year, they did a post race interview with me then), a new shirt to match my skirt, a bunch of RW Half merchandise, and a pair of Altras, which I am looking forward to trying out. I met up with AprilRunner, who talked me into doing Bart's moonlight run with the Amish guys (he seriously loves them, and has succesfully talked me into running Bird in Hand next year.

But first I wanted to watch the airing of Spirit of the Marathon II. Clifford Scott, who is in the movie and was probably my favorite, spoke before and after. I felt bad but I had to leave halfway through to do the moonlight run. I got to talk to the founder of Altra, who is a pretty crazy guy. When we started the run he just vaulted over the barriers in the road. At the next set, the Amish guys joined them. I only made it a 1/4 mile when my ankle decided to hurt, and I didn't want to push it so I turned around. The good part was I got to watch the rest of the movie.

Saturday I did a few shakeout miles, no ankle pain but I was having some stitches. I wanted to go back to the expo but I was wiped and just stayed home. I got my outfit laid out though:

Runbow Bright?

Sunday: I woke up at 6:00, tossed on my clothes and ran out the door. I remembered last year being cold at the start so this year I picked up a Snuggie at the thrift store. BEST IDEA EVER. Kept the wind out and the heat it. I got some looks, but those people were shivering, so they can suck it. Met up with my friends who were running, and did a picture with the Half Fanatics. I lined up with the 2:30 pace group, which would give me an 8 minute PR. I wasn't sure if I could make it, but 1) in April I ran with a 2:30 and made it 8 or so miles before tanking and my training was better now and 2) McMillan says I am capable of a sub 2:30. So, why not?

Then we were off! Right away I saw my friend Angela on the side lines. There's a decent number of spectators at this race, and I usually see a few people I know. The pacer though was already kind of all over the place, too slow or too fast. They went ahead of me and I just relaxed and said I'll just run my own race.

One thing I will say now before I forget is that I have been running the first 7-8 miles of this course on my treadmill once a week for the past month and a half. This was a huuuuge help, those miles are the hardest of the course and my legs just knew what to do for the hills (and since my TM only declines to -3, it's actually harder than the real course).

Mile 1- 11:28

Mile 2- 11:14 This mile has the first hill, but also a really nice downhill. I picked the 2:30 pacer up here again.

Mile 3- 11:09 I actually passed the pacer even though here we ran over the Fahy Bridge and up City Hall hill, which is kind of nasty

Mile 4: 11:01 Where did that come from?

Mile 5: 11:23 also a nasty hill

Interval 6: .88@ 9:51. I guess my lap button was on and I hit it. So intervals from now on...

Interval 7: 11:34 This is the worst hill out of the whole race (Illick's Mill). You think you are done, then you turn and it still keeps going. BUT that's when the signs for the Running Skirts aid station starts. Signs like "You're NOT almost there" and "Twerk for a skirt" distracted me.

AprilRunner and a bunch of my other friends were at this aid station, cheering everyone like crazy. It was so awesome knowing they would be there. Here I ditched my arm warmers and got some hugs. I also knew the hardest part of the race was over. Here's a pic from there:

I can really see the weight that I've put on in this picture, but that's my own fault.   I can't stop smiling though! I smiled the entire race, and just kept thinking that there was no place I'd rather be.

On the way back we passed this aid station again, and I stopped for a pee. Lost thirty seconds (counted) and when I got out the 2:30 pacer was right behind me. I kicked it up a notch. Where that is in this mess of intervals, I have no idea.

Interval 8: 11:22

Interval 9: 10:56 (huh??)

Interval 10: 11:12

Interval 11: 11:21

Interval 12: 11:35 Right around here I got what I guess is a side stitch, I've been getting them often and it's my intercostal muscles. I can usually walk them out but didn't want to, so I would try to stretch them out by raising my arm up and super deep inhales. Still had to walk about three times. When I would start back up I made sure to force myself back to race pace, usually I slow down way too much after I walk.

Interval 13 .56@6:13. Guess I hit the lap button again. Once I hit Mile 12 and I saw 2:18 or something like it on the clock I started freaking out, realizing that I would get my sub 2:30 for sure.

Interval 14 .79 @8:41. I knew I ran well when I tried to speed up but couldn't that much. So I just smiled and ran. Lots of cheers from the spectators and a few I knew. Stopped my garmin at 2:29:06.

Official time: 2:29:12. That's over a 9 minute PR. And that was from only 4 weeks ago.

I know this is a hilly course but I think that's where I do best. The miles just clicked by for me and I had a total blast. Got a hug from Bart, and Mark Remy too. Two of my friends actually placed first and third in the Hat Trick (they are super duper fast), so we hung around to watch them get their awards. Bought some half off race swag and met some friends for drinks.

I had no idea I had this in me already. I was looking to break 2:30 in December. Oops. So I guess now I'm going to enjoy the next few weeks (the 9th-10th I have two half marathons and then one more a week later), and then I'd like to focus on trying to break 30 minutes in the 5k. And if any of you get the chance, I totally recommend this race. There is so much going on: movies, races, famous peoples, seminars, it's such a blast.

Thanks for reading Smile

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Nice job and congrats on the PR! I was doing my long run that morning and was so tempted to run down that way to watch but the devil on my shoulder said "yeah go down there and bandit it" . So to avoid a possible running sin in my hometown, I kept heading north.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Jess runs for bacon

Nice job and congrats on the PR! I was doing my long run that morning and was so tempted to run down that way to watch but the devil on my shoulder said "yeah go down there and bandit it" . So to avoid a possible running sin in my hometown, I kept heading north.

Dang it would have been cool to see you!

Philliefan33

Great job, Jess.  Woo-hoo for the sub-2:30!

Are you doing the Delaware Canal HM?

obiebyke

So cool! Congratulations!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Jess runs for bacon

Great job, Jess.  Woo-hoo for the sub-2:30!

Are you doing the Delaware Canal HM?

Yes, although I haven't registered yet. It would be nice to see you again!

Pinktastic

I said it on FB, but I'll say it again.   Way to go, Jess!!   That's a HUGE new PR!!   Love your outfit and all the pics!  Thanks for sharing!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

Just B.S.

Great job Jess!! Sweet PR and cute outfit! I have been thinking about buying

that skirt!

hog4life

Nice RR and pics, thanks for sharing. Congrats on the PR!

B-Plus

Great race and congrats on the PR! What exactly is a snuggie? I'll have to look into that for my next race.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

OMG you went to the start line in a Snuggie!!!  That's phenomenal.  You would have been my favorite runner.  Sounds like that was a tough course out there, but training with it on your TM was an awesome idea.  I love that you were smiling the whole way through your race...that's a great feeling.  Way to keep going at the end when it got tough, and congrats on your huge PR!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

TakeAHike

Nicely done.  That sounds like a lot of fun.  That is cool that Mark Remy ran with your guys a bit and was at the finish.  I'm sorry for commenting on your pee break, but I just have to say, that is pretty fast.  Congrats on the PR

2013 goals: 800m: 2:20 | mile: 4:59 | 5k: 18:59 | 10k: 39:59 | HM: 1:32 | Marathon: 3:20

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Congrats!

I love the Runbow design.  Very PR looking.

Damaris

Congratulations on the PR !  Really enjoyed the RR.

I'm beginning to believe that all of this training actually does pay off in races, who knew?

(love the skirt too)

tracilynn

nice RR.  you look so cute and happy in your pics!  great job on the new PR.  I loved your running outfit & the skirt is super cute.

is the lady in the last pic wearing underwear over her shorts?  or a leotard?  ha

~~~~~~~

Traci