Beginners and Beyond

Race Report/Photos: Culinaria Wine and Beer 5K (Read 54 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

On Saturday, March 23, 2013, I did my 19th race of 2013:  Culinaria 5K Wine and Beer Run.  If you can't see the photos posted below, you can see my report and photos at this link:  http://community.runnersworld.com/displayForumTopic/content/6220027437540758

INTRO

I am Scott aka Scottydog, runner since 1983, cancer survivor, retired Air Force, friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run, hence my nickname “Scottydog.” Here is yet another of my Race Reports With Photos, and my thanks to all the people I interacted with for their graciousness and good humor in letting me take photos of them.

SHORT VERSION REPORT

Race #19 for me for 2013.  La Culinaria Wine & Beer 5K -http://culinariasa.org/wine-festival/main/5k.php - was held at The Shops at La Cantera on March 23, 2013.  The race sold out and had 2,200 runners and 300 walkers.  About 62 degrees at start time, with a dark gray sky and quite humid, but the rain held off for the event.  I stopped a few times along the route to take photos and ended up finishing with a chip time of 32:06, which I felt was pretty speedy for an old arthritic dog like me.  The guy in my age group (55 - 59) who placed first did a very speedy 24:05, and 2nd and 3rd tied at 25:17.  Some fast old guys in my age group, lol.

LONG VERSION WITH PHOTOS

Before The Start

8 a.m. start time.  I got to the start/finish site about 50 minutes before start time, and a bit before sunrise.  Wandered around and took some pre-start photos.  The Shops of La Cantera is an "open-air" mall, where you walk through some pretty nice grounds (artwork, fountains, etc) as you go to each store.

Still pretty dark when I got to the area and was greeted by the Cheese Factory lights.

race 002

Some of the things being prepared for the post-race festivities..fruits, veggies, and drinks from H-E-B, a huge grocery chain in Texas; pancakes; and wine.

race 016

race 003

race 004

The empty start/finish area before all the participants were lined up for the start

race 015

The Shops at La Cantera had some interesting fountain artwork

race 027

race 024

race 025

"Buddy" the mascot of H-E-B

race 007

Me and Buddy

race 008

Participants/Supporters Pre-Start

Our Pancake Chefs

race 010

Others

race 032

race 001

race 005

race 006

race 009

race 011

race 012

race 013

race 014

race 017

race 018

race 019

race 021

race 022

race 023

race 026

race 028

race 031

About 15 minutes before the start there was a little 'dancercize' warmup and then everyone lined up at behind the start mat.

ON THE COURSE

The course was an out-and-back around the parking area of The Shops at La Cantera, finishing from where we had started.  Not much scenery except for the runners themselves, so that's what I got photos of, of course. From one point on the course, we did have a view of the top of the roller coaster at Six Flags Fiesta Texas, which is next door to The Shops.

race 033

race 034

race 036

race 038

race 039

race 040

race 041

race 042

race 043

AFTER THE RACE

Enjoying a cold brew after I finished

race 061

The chefs were very busy fixing pancakes for 2,500 finishers...

race 066

And, besides the pancakes,  all these "Happy Finishers" and supporters enjoyed a cornucopia of other goodies too.  There was various brands of wine, beer, soda, and water; cheeses, and fruits, and some type of pudding dessert-thingy I saw several people enjoying, I saw a few people with big pretzels, and lots of other stuff...one heck of an after party!  All accompanied by music being played by a DJ.  And a fun time was had by all!    The folks wearing the nicely designed shirt that has the red/black silhouette of a runner on the front are wearing the very comfortable tech-tee shirt that was the race shirt in all the goodie bags.  I'm wearing mine as I type this report.

race 059

race 044

race 045

race 046

race 047

race 048

race 049

race 050

race 051

race 053

race 055

race 056

race 057

race 058

race 073

race 062

race 063

race 064

race 065

race 068

race 069

race 070

race 071

race 072

EPILOG

A very fun event, with a nice goodie bag and shirt, good organization, lots of friendly participants, and really nice post-race festivities.  This was the 3rd year this event has been held - I'm on a 'streak', I've done all 3 - and this year the only negative thing was the out-and-back course, which got quite crowded as the runners and walkers passed each other coming and going.  Since I don't really care about my time and was doing run/walk and taking photos, it didn't bother me all that much - though I admit at some points it did get a bit aggravating being crowded in, and we  mid-and-back-of the pack folks really didn't get to 'stretch it out" until well after the halfway point. At one point on the course, I heard one guy behind me commenting to his friend "You know, I know I'm not going to win any medals or anything at my pace, but it would be nice to at least be able to run my normal pace."  lol.

To be fair to the race organizers, though, it really was not their fault. The plan was to use last year's course - a really nice loop course with plenty of room for everyone, but one of the race guys I chatted with post-race told me that about 2 weeks before Race Day, the La Cantera Police told the race folks they had to use the out-and-back course, take it or leave it. I don't know why they insisted on the change, maybe road repair or whatever, who knows.  Well, of course with the time frame it was way too late to change the venue, so they had to bite the bullet and just do it. Another race guy I talked to said if La Cantera insisted on that course next year, then they were seriously going to think about moving the race to another location.  Personally, if La Cantera does insist on the same course next year that was done this year, I think they are going to lose out, because if the race folks are forced to change the venue, La Cantera is going to lose some bucks from the folks who stick around the Shops for a while post-race, and the race may lose out too, cuz some runners probably won't register to run on this poor course. Hopefully, it can all be worked out.

Oh well, in spite of that little glitch, the majority of folks I saw seemed to be enjoying themselves quite a bit, and the Culinaria folks sure do put on a good post-race show.  Also, the race shirt this year was a great improvement over the shirt from the last 2 years, I heard a lot of really favorable comments on that.  Athlete Guild did the timing this year - love that company!  And not just because my good friend, Scott Wood, operates it. Athlete Guild always does a great job with the race course setup, timing, etc.  Hope Culinaria continues to use them.  This is a very popular local event, and continues to be on my race calendar each year.  If you're a runner who is ever in San Antonio when this one is being done, definitely do it.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Scotty - awesome photos.  Pancakes and adult beverages for finishers, I may just have to run a 5K in Texas!  Big grin

“Only those who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go.” - T.S. Eliot

Baboon

delicate flower

Good stuff, Scotty.  Kind of weird that they'd change up the course so close to race day.  Pancakes and pretzels?  Sign me up!

<3

Wow, look at all that wine. I had better not mention this one to the DW. Great pics Scotty.

First Race

Hot Chocolate 5K Chicago November 4, 2012 30:17

Second Race

Penguin in the Park 5K Decatur Illinois March 23,2013 27:08

Scott

LRB

Good stuff!

I don't know how you did it, but you managed to take a pic of all 2,500 participants lol!

I used to drink Miller Lite.  Not too long ago actually...and may yet again.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Love the toilet seat fountain.  Congrats #19, Scott.  Big grin

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Beer? Wine? Pancakes? Running? Really adorable shirtless guys???? This is the race for me!!!! Great RR scotty

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Zelanie

Sounds like it was worth it for the food, if not for the course!  Hope that they get the course issues worked out for next year.

@runjerseygirl

You have the best RR's scotty.  Love the pics!

Do you even run?

Great report and pics like always, Scotty.

Beer, pancakes, running, and a bunch of pretty ladies... is Texas actually heaven? Tongue

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Great report.  You had me at wine.

Damaris

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Looks like a very fun area to run in and a great even.  That's a shame that they forced the organizers to do an out and back, but I guess stuff like that happens.  Keep up the great running!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Dr. Cornsitter

Great RR! Other than the out-and-back, sounds like you had a great time!

Quote from BeachRunner3234 on 6/25/2013 at 8:20 PM:

So I'm currently sitting with a bag of frozen corn in my ass.

SheCan

Great report as always, Scotty.  Though I must say that I'm a little weirded out by that red buff guy on the tee-shirts, but as long as you like it that's what's important.  Sorry that the location wasn't the best.  The pics you got of the race still are very cool, and that post race spread looks fan-freakin-tastic!   Glad you had fun, and looking forward to your next report!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson