Beginners and Beyond

WEDNESDAILIES Are Still on the Wagon (Read 49 times)

happylily

I live in an "outer borough" (because Manhattan is obviously the center of the universe).  And I thought I was being smart by going to another orthopedist instead of the one at HSS (never mind that the sports medicine doctor at HSS makes me want to shoot myself), because HSS is located so far east that it's a long trek from the nearest subway.  Joke's on me since this orthopedist uses East River Medical Imaging... which is right next door to HSS.

I CAN'T HANDLE ALL THIS WALKING!!  The more I limp around, the more I screw up things that weren't screwed up already.

Blue, out of curiosity, how much of your regular training is regular running (road and TM) and how much is on the AlterG? You have great lung and heart strength, obviously, but could it be that your skeletal system cannot support what your lungs and heart can do because you spend too much time on the AlterG? Maybe that could explain your many injuries... I admit I have no idea what I'm talking about, so don't take offense. I know the AlterG is great, I'm only wondering the effect it can have on us when used long term.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

cjones1

I live in an "outer borough" (because Manhattan is obviously the center of the universe).  And I thought I was being smart by going to another orthopedist instead of the one at HSS (never mind that the sports medicine doctor at HSS makes me want to shoot myself), because HSS is located so far east that it's a long trek from the nearest subway.  Joke's on me since this orthopedist uses East River Medical Imaging... which is right next door to HSS.

I CAN'T HANDLE ALL THIS WALKING!!  The more I limp around, the more I screw up things that weren't screwed up already.

Actually the marketing slogan the town I work in (a town of maybe 30k residents) is "The Hub of the Universe."  It's all relative.  Anyway, I hope everything works out.

PRs:

5k - 20:51 - 9/5/15

10k - 47:00 - 5/25/15

15k - 1:10:19 - 11/21/15

13.1 - 1:42:25- 4/25/15

26.2 - TBD (someday)

LRB

A built-in heart rate monitor is not something I would need in a watch since I do not really use that feature. Sure, I suppose it would be nice if it was there but not having it is not a deal breaker for me.

I would have to wait and see exactly how the text/e-mail notifications work, and at what cost the new device comes with before making a decision.

I am not one who needs to be connected to my phone while running so it's not something I am dying to have. I would have to see how it works and whether or not that feature can be turned off and on at will but it sounds interesting.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

The 630 would have to have the wrist HRM for me to consider buying it.

Damaris

bluerun

Super B****

Blue, out of curiosity, how much of your regular training is regular running (road and TM) and how much is on the AlterG? You have great lung and heart strength, obviously, but could it be that your skeletal system cannot support what your lungs and heart can do because you spend too much time on the AlterG? Maybe that could explain your many injuries... I admit I have no idea what I'm talking about, so don't take offense. I know the AlterG is great, I'm only wondering the effect it can have on us when used long term.

It used to be 75/25 in favor of the AlterG -- I've been trying to slowly transition to the opposite of that, so I was hovering around 50/50 for a while, occasionally 60/40 in favor of the road.

The thing about the AlterG is that I don't really know how much it really contributes in a cardio sense... unless I'm running ridiculously fast (like, faster than I'd run on the road even during speed sessions) I can barely get my HR up into the triple digits, which is bizarre since it shoots up pretty fast outside, no matter how easy it is.  Since I like to keep my quality runs on the road, the AlterG is just for easy/recovery stuff.  It seems like it's more helpful mentally than physically, but what do I know...

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

bluerun

Super B****

A built-in heart rate monitor is not something I would need in a watch since I do not really use that feature. Sure, I suppose it would be nice if it was there but not having it is not a deal breaker for me.

I would have to wait and see exactly how the text/e-mail notifications work, and at what cost the new device comes with before making a decision.

I am not one who needs to be connected to my phone while running so it's not something I am dying to have. I would have to see how it works and whether or not that feature can be turned off and on at will but it sounds interesting.

399.99-449.99 USD

chasing the impossible

onemile

I don't use that feature either because I don't want to wear the strap. But if it was on the wrist, I would not mind having that data. Now of course it's not a deal breaker and I don't train based on HR. But I would find that wayy more interesting than checking emails or texts.

Cyberic

because Manhattan is obviously the center of the universe

It is? I thought it was Beverly Hills

Cyberic

I don't use that feature either because I don't want to wear the strap. But if it was on the wrist, I would not mind having that data. Now of course it's not a deal breaker and I don't train based on HR. But I would find that wayy more interesting than checking emails or texts.

Even more so, I don't even bring my phone on my runs, so those features would be absolutely useless for me.

Baboon

delicate flower

The text and e-mail notifications work pretty well on the 920XT.  It also sends facebook notifications.  This function is more convenient to have during every day life rather than while running/biking.  I don't run with my phone and since the notifications work via Bluetooth, no phone = no notifications.  For example, as I was typing this post, I got a notification that DW sent me an e-mail.

<3

happylily

It used to be 75/25 in favor of the AlterG -- I've been trying to slowly transition to the opposite of that, so I was hovering around 50/50 for a while, occasionally 60/40 in favor of the road.

The thing about the AlterG is that I don't really know how much it really contributes in a cardio sense... unless I'm running ridiculously fast (like, faster than I'd run on the road even during speed sessions) I can barely get my HR up into the triple digits, which is bizarre since it shoots up pretty fast outside, no matter how easy it is.  Since I like to keep my quality runs on the road, the AlterG is just for easy/recovery stuff.  It seems like it's more helpful mentally than physically, but what do I know...

Ok, so you're saying your good cardio comes from the road workouts, but the "junk" miles that we must all do to get our skeletal system to adapt for long races are not really there for you. That's my take on it and it would explain in part why you suffer so much.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

onemile

The text and e-mail notifications work pretty well on the 920XT.  It also sends facebook notifications.  This function is more convenient to have during every day life rather than while running/biking.  I don't run with my phone and since the notifications work via Bluetooth, no phone = no notifications.  For example, as I was typing this post, I got a notification that DW sent me an e-mail.

Oh, the fact that it is a bluetooth only feature makes it even more useless to me. I don't run with my phone and I have no desire to wear my garmin watch in everyday life (that is when I actually have my phone with me... ).

bluerun

Super B****

Ok, so you're saying your good cardio comes from the road workouts, but the "junk" miles that we must all do to get our skeletal system to adapt for long races are not really there for you. That's my take on it and it would explain in part why you suffer so much.

That would make sense ... except I use the AlterG to avoid breaking my bones.  Which it has done admirably, since I haven't had a fracture since I've started using it.  (Unless this is a fracture, of course.)

I was actually waiting for the results of my DXA to see whether I'd be able to withstand moving one of the "junk" days outside; it would mean a cut in mileage, since I won't go as long outside, but I don't mind that.  Except.  Yeah.

chasing the impossible

Zelanie

Sure, now that I just bought my watch, they come out with the new ones?  Still, I like the 225 a lot, and I knew the 630 wasn't going to have HRM before I bought the 225.  As for the 235, I'm sure it is cooler (and looks sleeker), but I wouldn't really use the notifications when I run since I don't run with my phone.

Welcome back, Basya!  Glad you're healing up!

onemile

That would make sense ... except I use the AlterG to avoid breaking my bones.  Which it has done admirably, since I haven't had a fracture since I've started using it.  (Unless this is a fracture, of course.)

I was actually waiting for the results of my DXA to see whether I'd be able to withstand moving one of the "junk" days outside; it would mean a cut in mileage, since I won't go as long outside, but I don't mind that.  Except.  Yeah.

Racing so frequently could also be a factor.  Races are pretty stressful to the body - more so than any workouts.