Beginners and Beyond

Who am I joking? (Read 191 times)

outoftheblue

The only races I have been able to run "just for fun" were my first HM and FM.  Just completing them and enjoying the day were all I cared about.   In all other races, I've  given it my all, and have tried to see how well I could do given my current training, the course, the weather etc.  I have goals coming in that i try to meet.   Striving for goals is part of what makes running  enjoyable for me.  It motivates and shapes my training.  I like the feeling of knowing that I ran a race well.

The trick is to still enjoy the process and experience even if your goals are not met or you had a bad day.  Some races I do a better job of that than others.    I'm learning that you have to have some bad races to really appreciate the good ones.

Life is good.

YAYpril - B-Plus

I can run races for fun, and I have a couple times. I do have goals like everyone else, but if training hasn't gone well or if I'm just not feeling up to pushing myself, I will relax and enjoy myself. Let's be honest here, I'm a long way from winning anything in a race (even AG awards) so I'm not going to kill myself every time. Only a couple times a year. Smile

LRB

I think there are just two types of runners, the ones who can run for fun and the ones who can't.  Some people are able to float between the two groups, but there are just runners who will always care - and that's OK, I think.

Great observation there!  And yes, it is okay.

It is not like we go to work slamming doors and hanging the phone up on people after a "bad" race, but you just want to do well (as it applies to you) when you are competing.

I paced a race once and had a blast.  There was not one solitary ounce of me that wanted to do nothing more than ensure others reached their goal that morning.

So I am able run for fun, just not race for fun.  If that makes sense?

outoftheblue

Great observation there!  And yes, it is okay.

It is not like we go to work slamming doors and hanging the phone up on people after a "bad" race, but you just want to do well (as it applies to you) when you are competing.

I paced a race once and had a blast.  There was not one solitary ounce of me that wanted to do nothing more than ensure others reached their goal that morning.

So I am able run for fun, just not race for fun.  If that makes sense?

Totally.

Life is good.

Just B.S.

That is me.

I have met all the  time and running goals I ever set for myself  (up to now). And I reached all of those PR's on

my first attempt at them. So maybe I'm a little blase about them because they came easily to me.

Sometimes I race. Some are for fun. Some are for a travel/vacation purpose. Some are to help out a friend.

Some are just to show up and support a charity.

I am a different runner with a different purpose (or lack of purpose!LOL) every single time I cross the start line

and the goals change each and every time.  I am a glass half full because at age 51  after 10 years of racing

and 14 years of running  I am still have fun, don't get injured and still getting faster. It's all good. Life is good.

Running is just running.

Hilary are you there?LOL

I think there are just two types of runners, the ones who can run for fun and the ones who can't.  Some people are able to float between the two groups, but there are just runners who will always care - and that's OK, I think.

i am still so knew to this running stuff that if it isnt fun then I would be able to quit pretty easy. Whats the point of getting up at 4:45 in the am if it isnt fun. I think that the only race I have done that didnt have a smile on my face might have been my first race. I was so poorly prepared for that 4.5 miler, but I still had a good time.

My advice is to rethink why you run. (fun, times, exercise, friends, etc)

Take off the watch for a couple of races and see what happens. could be good could be bad, but at the end of the day it wont make much of a difference in who you really are.

just my $0.02

”Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

“Whether you think you can, or you think you can't--you're right.”

Tomas

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

We are so much alike it is scary...except you have gorgeous eyes and a super nice house, haha.

That is me.

I have met all the time and running goals I ever set for myself  (up to now). And I reached all of those

PR's on my first attempt at them. So maybe I'm a little blase about them because they came easily to me.

Sometimes I race. Some are for fun. Some are for a travel/vacation purpose. Some are to help out a

friend. Some are just to show up and support a charity.

I am a different runner with a different purpose every single time I cross the start line and the goals

change each and every time.  I am a glass half full because at age 51  after 10 years of racing and

14 years of running I am still have fun, don't get injured and still getting faster. It's all good.

Damaris

LRB

We are so much alike it is scary...except you have gorgeous eyes and a super nice house, haha.

And she lives in an igloo and you live in a hut.  Talk about polar opposites (see what I did there)!

Just B.S.

And she lives in an igloo and you live in a hut.  Talk about polar opposites (see what I did there)!

And the part about me being 51 with that "don't never get no sun" ghostly white skin!

Other than that we are identical!Big grin

BruceD555

Every race that I didn't pin on a number (or tie on a chip) I've run for fun. So that would be zero. I'm a stealth competitive person (normally I keep it well suppressed) but when I get to compete against myself I tend to hit it pretty hard.

Train smart ... race smarter.

RSX

If my 10 mile race yesterday didn't get canceled I would have treated it as 1 last long run before my half next week, and was actually hoping to run it with a friend. Most races I try for my fastest time that day. I hate fun runs and won't do them as I want to be clocked for every race I do for better or worse. There are some 5ks I love doing, but if I'm injured will run them at a long run pace.

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

I'm still in the mode where I have to PR every race, unless I'm fun running with friends who haven't raced before.

I think that will change with time.  The way I look at it is that I'm so far from my potential that I SHOULD PR every race.  It's like driving to somebody's house that is 2,000 miles away.  In the beginning, just look at the compass and drive in that general direction.  By default, you get closer by the minute.  Eventually, it gets more complicated.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

Love the Half

Ok. So I'm a bit bipolar with my running as mentioned in my previous thread, I've got a race coming up in a few weeks and I'm already putting pressure on myself to run a certain pace. I need to relax and stop being so competitive.  Why do I do this to myself. Tongue How do you run races for fun and not get upset if you don't run a certain time? I need to chill out. Lol.

I don't.  I race to see how fast I can move my body from Point A to Point B and if I have a bad race, I am seriously pissed.

Short term goal: 17:59 5K

Mid term goal:  2:54:59 marathon

Long term goal: To say I've been a runner half my life.  (I started running at age 45).

jamezilla

flashlight and sidewalk

Maybe try a trail race...then you won't know what time you should finish.

**Ask me about streaking**

Chairman

At some point I became too lazy to be so neurotic about my running. I also don't run races when I am not fit. And if I am fit and don't run well for whatever reason, it doesn't bother me a whole lot because over the years I have become accepting of my physical limitations and the possibility that sometimes things just won't go well. The main thing for me is to be happy with my effort an execution. That matters more to me than the end result.

Coalition for a Free and Independent New Jersey