Beginners and Beyond

Wednesdailies - the 9th (Read 42 times)

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Good morning!

I pedaled for 33 miles on another beautiful morning. Mid 50s-60 plus plenty of stars is a fine way for humpday to begin.

Have a great day!

Runner with a riding problem.

RunningOnSand

Good morning, PR, and all to follow! Got up early, deciding to kick this stupid virus to the curb w/extra coffee, 400s, and motrin today. Tadow! So if I'm going to do it, now's the time. Pray for my soul. Or my legs. Or my lungs. Or all of the above Big grin

Pleasant- Nice ride. It’s a beautiful morning out there

ROS- Hope your feeling better today. I feel like I’ve read somewhere about NSAIDs and exercise being really risky...like stroke risk?

Easy 5mi for me. 9:06 avg. I may try and get in another run this evening...we’ll see how the day goes.

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

Cyberic

Morning,

Did not run commute today. The woman has started biking to work so I lost my sherpa (she works in the same building i do). All winter she'd bring my lunch in the morning, and I was just carrying my work clothes/shower stuff because I get to work before her. In the evening, I leave her the whole thing and commute back free. The extra load in the morning (lunch) and evening (the whole thing) will require some time for my legs to adapt to.

I might run at lunch, or take a complete day off. Dunno yet.

SIAR, my company doesn't really back the race I organize, but they are not against it either. I do it on my own time, and the race is short, 1 lap around the park (1.77 miles), during lunch break. People with meetings late in the morning or early in the afternoon often can't race... Out of 275 employees, yesterday 19 people raced it.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

4.5 this morning on a run that was mostly hills.

I finished reading Advanced Marathoning (other than the detailed training plans).  There's a table in the book showing the pace you should train at for various workouts depending on your goal time.  The table stops before it gets to my goal time.  I can do the math to extrapolate, but I feel a bit like I'm not really the target audience for the book.  Doesn't mean I can't learn from it.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
            10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have 5 miles and OTF tonight.

Damaris

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Hello all!

Pleasant...do you do bike races, or just like getting out to ride?

ROS...hope the virus takes the hint and gets out of town! I've still had lingering symptoms from my cold that was over a month ago Sad

Jay...Can't beat a good double - hope you're able to squeeze it in.

Cyberic...Oh no, she can't do that! You might have to give my cooler approach a go. And I understand your race a little more clearly now. I work as a race timer on weekends sometimes, and we've done races where far fewer have showed up, so your 19 doesn't sound that bad. I love the idea though, especially on that length of course. The company should get behind it.

Fred..nice job on the speed work in disguise. That's frustrating about the paces in the book, and I can see how the assumption would then be that maybe it is only meant for runners of a certain pace. But, like you said, I'm sure there's lots of great stuff you can incorporate. The only thing I'm ever wary of is adding volume and pace at the same time, which I think is really easy to do when jumping in with a plan. The amount of base capacity needed to actually stay healthy through a hard training cycle is something that's so easy to overlook.

Docket...Enjoy the evening!

As for me, I'm not totally sure what I'm running tonight. It's group run night, so that's a little over 6 miles, but I'm not sure my legs are ready for the group run route yet! I may go down to the running store and then just head out for a flat 5 to baby these legs a little bit longer.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

KCRuns

Morning,

Did not run commute today. The woman has started biking to work so I lost my sherpa (she works in the same building i do). All winter she'd bring my lunch in the morning, and I was just carrying my work clothes/shower stuff because I get to work before her. In the evening, I leave her the whole thing and commute back free. The extra load in the morning (lunch) and evening (the whole thing) will require some time for my legs to adapt to.

I might run at lunch, or take a complete day off. Dunno yet.

SIAR, my company doesn't really back the race I organize, but they are not against it either. I do it on my own time, and the race is short, 1 lap around the park (1.77 miles), during lunch break. People with meetings late in the morning or early in the afternoon often can't race... Out of 275 employees, yesterday 19 people raced it.

Why are you carrying shower stuff both ways every day?  Just leave a set of getting ready stuff in a desk drawer and take it home to replenish once a week or as needed.  You can also leave a couple days of clothes in the drawer as well.  Does your office have a refrigerator?  If not, buy a small dorm room fridge to have under your desk for your own stuff.  Take in a week's worth of lunches at a time and be done with it.  Then all you have to carry every day is lightweight most of the time.

delicate flower

'Morning.  Swim done, run later.  Sitting in an all day meeting.  Again.

<3

Cyberic

Why are you carrying shower stuff both ways every day?  Just leave a set of getting ready stuff in a desk drawer and take it home to replenish once a week or as needed.  You can also leave a couple days of clothes in the drawer as well.  Does your office have a refrigerator?  If not, buy a small dorm room fridge to have under your desk for your own stuff.  Take in a week's worth of lunches at a time and be done with it.  Then all you have to carry every day is lightweight most of the time.

All valid points that I have considered, and will have to reconsider.

Shower: The shower is not in the building I work in. It's in a sports center about 7 minutes walk away. And I work on the 3rd floor. I don't feel like going to work, going up on the 3rd floor to get my stuff, then go take a shower, and come back... I don't think it's worth run commuting if it's too much of a hassle.

Lunch: Up until now, since the woman was acting sherpa for my lunch, there was no need for anything complicated. About the fridge... I could leave heavy stuff in the fridge (there are fridges at work already) but I carry last evening's leftovers from supper most of the times. Most people try to cut down their weight (yesterday's thread). I'm 6'6", I run ~70 mpw, and I'm working hard not to lose weight. You can imagine how much I eat.

But I have to find a way. I think you can rent an ultra small locker at the sports center. Fits a towel, flip-flops, socks, underwear, shampoo... I might ask how much it costs to rent those, if any are available.

KCRuns

All valid points that I have considered, and will have to reconsider.

Shower: The shower is not in the building I work in. It's in a sports center about 7 minutes walk away. And I work on the 3rd floor. I don't feel like going to work, going up on the 3rd floor to get my stuff, then go take a shower, and come back... I don't think it's worth run commuting if it's too much of a hassle.

Lunch: Up until now, since the woman was acting sherpa for my lunch, there was no need for anything complicated. About the fridge... I could leave heavy stuff in the fridge (there are fridges at work already) but I carry last evening's leftovers from supper most of the times. Most people try to cut down their weight (yesterday's thread). I'm 6'6", I run ~70 mpw, and I'm working hard not to lose weight. You can imagine how much I eat.

But I have to find a way. I think you can rent an ultra small locker at the sports center. Fits a towel, flip-flops, socks, underwear, shampoo... I might ask how much it costs to rent those, if any are available.

Ah, I didn't realize the shower was not in the same building.  If you can rent a locker and keep the heavy shower stuff there, then clothes really aren't that heavy to carry in the summer.  You could also keep work clothes at work, and just carry shorts/t-shirt in your backpack for the 7 minute walk to the office and change when you get there.  When I committed to run commuting a few days a week, I invested in extra shower/makeup/hair stuff to leave at work and bought extra work clothes that I could leave in a drawer "just in case".  And my work shoes stay under my desk all the time, so I'm not carrying heavy shoes. If you don't have a physical job where you sweat or get dirty, at the end of the day when you change to run home, just leave your pants at work, so all you have to carry the next day is a shirt/underwear/socks, all light weight stuff.   I don't know, just trying to figure out a way to make it easier for you.

sdWhiskers

Workout Wednesday! 8.2 miles total with 2 x 1600, 2 x 800, ad 2 x 400 (with 90s recovery job between each). Hit all prescribed paces and even had to back off a little for some. That rarely happens for me so I was loving it! Feeling fitter for sure.

My company just announced that we are starting the process to acquire another similarly sized company (both are >20,000 people). Commence chaos at work...

I'm reading this run commute convo and keep nodding my head thinking, "Ah, grasshopper, the student has become the master!"  KC, you have this thing dialed in.  And Cy, 1) I'm tres jealous of your metabolistic abilities, being a shortie has some drawbacks and low BMR is one of them; and 2) I think it's hilarious that you refer to your lady as a sherpa, and I'm pretty sure that she would laugh if she heard it.  She sounds cool.

I had such a good time climbing that hill on Monday that I did it again.  It's actually a fantastic route, the first 1.5 miles are on a "trail," but our trail is paved, the adjacent "nature" is watered, and there are drinking fountains--including dog fountains, trash cans, and dog poop bag stations.  This will probably have to be a summer thing, there's no lighting, but that's not a problem right now.  My pooch is not a fan of loud cars or motorcycles, so being off the road is nice for him.  7 miles with 473 feet of gain.

Question for the masses: has anyone ever run the Rock & Roll in Las Vegas?  I don't want to run this, but my husband wants to do it with a charity group.  I kind of had my sights set on the Ventura Marathon (still love that idea, thanks again for the tip!), and this is the same weekend.  Anyway, wondering how much of a clusterfuck this race is if you do the full.  I feel like Vegas is a never ending mob of people in my way wherever I want to be, so I am having a hard time imagining a marathon there being any different.  If anyone has any experience, I'm very curious.  If nothing else, the weather will probably be pretty good in November.  And I would not doing this as part of the charity group, I'll donate to someone else, but it's not my thing.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I'm 6'6", I run ~70 mpw, and I'm working hard not to lose weight. You can imagine how much I eat.

I'm so envious.  My metabolism seems to slow down a notch every 10 years no matter what I do.  Nowadays I have to live vicariously by watching my teenager eat.  When the mood hits him, he can destroy a stack of 5 pancakes and be getting seconds before I'm even halfway through a stack of 3.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                              10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

RunningWithMyDog

Good afternoon.

Thanks to some silly conflict of interest guidelines, I need to take a temp assignment for a couple of months. I got the call yesterday: the earliest they will have my new office set up is Monday! Booo-yeah! See ya Monday, suckers!

Did a 4k walk/jog/stop to poop or smell stuff with the dog, followed by 17 km solo. The weather was glorious for running.

I'm now toying with the idea of hitting a patio that has $5.50 burgers and $5.50 beers on Wednesdays. C'mon, I've earned it.

Funny aside: this morning my 6 month old Lab ran by a pack of rice cakes on the ground - and she completely ignored them. How tasteless a snack does it have to be for a Labrador puppy to not want to eat it?