Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES: Toasty & Roasty (Read 40 times)

DavePNW

You are right, it isn't anything special. It comes down to tastes and preferences. I like full, thick, bold coffee. Some coffees are thin, light or lack body. When traveling abroad, Starbucks takes the guesswork out of finding what I prefer. That's the simplest way to explain it.

Yep. People complain that it tastes too strong or bitter or burnt. But I like it. I do like to patronize smaller local shops when available, but when traveling, you know it’s reliable. And as a corporate behemoth, they’re not too evil.

Dave

KCRuns

I go to Sbux maybe once a year.. I have a gift card from last Christmas that I haven't used yet.  There are two within 2 miles of my house and one right across the street from my work. But I don't find it to be anything special ?

+1.  I have one in my building at work and rarely go there unless I have a gift card.  I do have some clients that give me Starbucks gift cards for Christmas or my birthday and I'll use those up; otherwise, I usually only go if I'm taking coffee to one of my buyers or getting a treat for my assistant.  It's just not my favorite coffee, though I do like their holiday mochas.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I just try to run naturally, what my body feels comfortable.

Speaking of glutes, as soon as I get home I've got to roll them.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Runshortii

I have 6 to do with 8x200m later.

There is nothing within 2 miles of my house, except a tractor supply store, a library, a school and a gas station. The closest Starbucks is 7 miles. The closest grocery store is 7 miles as well. Unless you count the small one in town that has good meats but is super expensive

GinnyinPA

I'm another who thinks that Starbucks isn't that great. There are a couple about 4 miles away, but I never go there. If I want a good coffee I go to another local café that roasts their own and is half the price.

I ran 7.3 hilly miles.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I have 6 to do with 8x200m later.

There is nothing within 2 miles of my house, except a tractor supply store, a library, a school and a gas station. The closest Starbucks is 7 miles. The closest grocery store is 7 miles as well. Unless you count the small one in town that has good meats but is super expensive

Other than 3 gas stations, a Dollar General, Subway, Liquor Store and post office, a small market store... the actual grocery store is 6 miles from me in Newburgh, IN along with restaurants and pharmacies, Walmart is probably 7 miles away... then Evansville is like 6 miles down the highway.

Having stayed in KY and TN, I know how 3-6 miles can seem like 30-60 miles on winding mountain like roads lol

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Cyberic

To go a step further, I actively avoid them! I've never had a good experience there, and only go when the g/f is desperately in need of one (she does not share my distaste for the place).

As for the glutes, I'm LRB's camp. If you run enough, I really think your body will find its most efficient running form. That being said, drills like "A Skips" and "B Skips" are great exercises, if you're motivated enough and coordinated enough to go through them and really looking to improve your form.

I always felt like I got more mileage from thinking about the tilt of my pelvis as a form trigger than I did from actively trying to engage my glutes. Running consciously and being aware of your form can be great as an exercise, but it can also make running a tiresome chore if you're always focused on mechanics.

Tilt of your pelvis, how does that work?

I did manage to feel my glutes while running after a bit of corkscrew in the butt and apple  between the knees thing. Then, when you feel them, you can actually run in a way that they are more involved. But like SIAR said, it sucks to always think about form, and if I don't think about it, I run in a way that I don't feel the glutes working.

LRB

Other than 3 gas stations, a Dollar General, Subway, Liquor Store and post office, a small market store... the actual grocery store is 6 miles from me in Newburgh, IN along with restaurants and pharmacies, Walmart is probably 7 miles away... then Evansville is like 6 miles down the highway.

Having stayed in KY and TN, I know how 3-6 miles can seem like 30-60 miles on winding mountain like roads lol

Yes, the phrase, a country mile is rooted in that reality perception! I vividly recall my first race through "the sticks" and my gosh those 3 miles took FOREVER.

LRB

Tilt of your pelvis, how does that work?

I'm not SIAR but the way it was explained to me is you picture your hip region as a bowl filled with water, and you want to tilt your pelvis inward and run so as not to "spill" that water. You then want to squeeze your glutes which pushes the entire hip region forward, while keeping the bowl level. At this point you are running with your glutes as the prime mover but in practice it feels like you're at a bachelor party and the subject of a hilarious gag.

Cyberic

I'm not SIAR but the way it was explained to me is you picture your hip region as a bowl filled with water, and you want to tilt your pelvis inward and run so as not to "spill" that water. You then want to squeeze your glutes which pushes the entire hip region forward, while keeping the bowl level. At this point you are running with your glutes as the prime mover but in practice it feels like you're at a bachelor party and the subject of a hilarious gag.

I dunno if I picture it correctly, but I stood up in my living room and tried to do it, and... is it like trying to put your sex forward? Geezus, I ain't running like that!

Half Crazy K 2.0

I dunno if I picture it correctly, but I stood up in my living room and tried to do it, and... is it like trying to put your sex forward? Geezus, I ain't running like that!

Someone described it on here once as leading with your junk, so, yea.

LRB

That's exactly right!

LRB

Someone described it on here once as leading with your junk, so, yea.

I remember that post well. That's exactly right!

onemile

I ran 10 with URP

LRB

There was an article once that went deep into the reasons why it makes sense (I'll try to dig that up later).

It was a print version but I think this is it. ("make no mistake where you are, your back's to the corner...")