Beginners and Beyond

It's Friday Penguins - Time To Hit The Ground Running! (Read 30 times)

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here.

Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails!What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."

It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

Gustav1

Fear is a Liar

Good Morning Penguins!

There's a 10 acre park that used to be a farm field just on the outskirts of the township. It' just a big old field of grass. A couple weeks ago it was packed with all these little pink flags. On the man road there was a big sign mentioning cancer awareness. I tell you what - it sure made me aware. Big numbers out there.

When I went out for yesterday's run it was the first time the "feels like" temp was colder due to the wind. I ran 6.5 miles without the hills because I have to shift my schedule a day and will be doing a 6 mile tempo tonight.

I'm so vegetarian I don't even eat animal crackers!

hog4life

Gustav, enjoy the tempo run tonight.

Today will be rest and eat, and try to figure out what to wear for tomorrow's half. It's calling for 29 degrees, brrr.

Bin Running

Gustav, I think we need a pic of that..

Mitch, goo luck with the half.. you have came a long way after the injury..

RD for me.. Last night some of my Amazon purchases arrived.. In it is an Ironman mask and DS loved it.. Had a hard time convincing him to let me remove it.. keeping it for his birthday party.. It's Ironman theme this time..

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Mitch - Definitely layers.

It looks like my debut marathon WILL be in cold rain.  Fun.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Sorry to racers with rough weather this weekend Sad you will still rock your races though !

I definitely overslept this morning. I don't even remember hearing my alarm. Grrr. So no run. I have jury duty today. I'm hoping I get  dismissed on time to get home and get a run in before dark.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Good morning!

Jack and Cherie - I'm doing the Monster Dash 10-mile race in St. Paul tomorrow morning (eek!), dressed as Batgirl.

Today is a rest day. I'm having a Chipotle burrito for lunch and calling it fuel for the race. Big grin It may be purely coincidental, but the last time I had a Chipotle burrito for lunch the day before a long run, I felt like I could run forever.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Rest day for me today, 5K tomorrow morning. Yesterday after work I went to Walker Ranch Park,  the park where the race is going to be held and ran the trails there.  Didn't even know this park existed.   What a nice park!  Both paved and off-road trails.  Plus, I saw one of the trailhead signs that said "To Hardberger Park" - a popular local park.  What?  This park connects to Hardberger Park, a park I run in a lot?  My curiosity was up, so I followed that trail to see where it connected to Hardberger.  Of course, then I had to come back to the other park where my car was.   So ended up with 4.1 miles total, met some doggies that I got to treat along the way and ran on some really nice very shaded trails.  With this park that I explored connecting to Hardberger Park, you can go a LONG ways cuz once you get to Hardberger Park, there are about 7 miles of trails there.  So if you did a round trip from Walker Ranch Park to Hardberger or vice-versa, you could easily get in a run of 10 miles if you wanted to. And all the paved trails go UNDERNEATH the local roads, so no traffic at all to deal with.  So one more local-area running route to add to my list, bringing me up to 105 routes so far that I have found locally available for me to run.

Baconista/Traci:  sorry about your moms and aunts.  Next time I do my local breast cancer 5K here I will dedicate my race to you and yours.   And thanks for the reminder...I gave Gail a breast exam last night and she seems fine... Joking

Good luck with your tempo run, Gustav.

Good luck with your half, Mitch.  29 degrees, BRRR!   I read somewhere to dress like it's 10 degrees warmer when you race because after you get started, that's how you'll feel.   For me, when it gets below 40,  I usually wear a base layer shirt (like thermax, duomax, etc, those 'wick-away' winter underlayers that keep you dry and comfy) along with a long-sleeved shirt over that and my Sporthill running pants, and I am usually just fine after I get started.   Love those Sporthill pants!  They are kind of expensive, but I bought my pair about 10 years ago and they are still going strong, so you definitely get your money's worth!

Enjoy your new stuff, Bin!  And  happy b-day to your little Ironman.

good luck with your marthon, Awood, and the cold rain.

Glad your knee is feeling a bit better, Kristin.   Good luck with jury duty!

Good luck with your 10-mile race, Mickey!  Or should I say Batgirl?  You will be posting photos, right? Big grin

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

obiebyke

Swooping in from my URWeek due to a bad cold to say hey Mickey, enjoy the Monster Dash! I want to do that one next year if I don't get into the Twin Cities 10 mile.

Back to coughing and dreaming of lacing up my running shoes... Happy Friday everyone!

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Philliefan33

Good luck to the racers this weekend -- we're headed up to the mountains so I won't be able to check in until Sunday night.

PADRunner

Morning all. 5 easy done.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Happy October 25th!    On this day in history, the Erie Canal opened in 1825; postcards were first used in 1870 in the US; Viking Jim Marshall runs 66 yards in wrong direction for a safety in 1964; The Rolling Stones release "Get Off Of My Cloud" in 1965; Minnesota Twins win their 1st World Series in 1987; Hurricane Sandy makes landfall in Cuba and Haiti killing 65 people and causing over $80 million in damage in 2012.

Today's Holidays

OK, folks, go out and get your 'junk-food' feed bag on cuz today is National Greasy Foods Day!   It is also World Pasta Day for those of you healthier inclined.  Of course, you could go to the Cheesecake Factory and combine the two days, as that restaurant serves a Macaroni and Cheese Burger.....oh yummy!

Frankenstein Friday - Observed on the last Friday in October

International Artists Day - Celebrate the art and artists you like.

Punk For A Day - Ever had the desire to be a punk or a punk rocker?  Today is your day to give it a try.  Webster defines 'punk' as:  a usually a petty gangster, hoodlum, or ruffian; a punk rock musician and/or one who affects punk styles;

fatty food cartoons, fatty food cartoon, funny, fatty food picture, fatty food pictures, fatty food image, fatty food images, fatty food illustration, fatty food illustrations

fatty food cartoons, fatty food cartoon, funny, fatty food picture, fatty food pictures, fatty food image, fatty food images, fatty food illustration, fatty food illustrations

five guys, eat, godzilla, monster, five, men, bite,

KEYWORD1  2012-11-14  fortune  fortunes  fortuneteller  fortunetellers  fortunetelling  predict  pre

pasta cartoons, pasta cartoon, funny, pasta picture, pasta pictures, pasta image, pasta images, pasta illustration, pasta illustrations

pasta cartoons, pasta cartoon, funny, pasta picture, pasta pictures, pasta image, pasta images, pasta illustration, pasta illustrations

frankenstein cartoons, frankenstein cartoon, funny, frankenstein picture, frankenstein pictures, frankenstein image, frankenstein images, frankenstein illustration, frankenstein illustrations

KEYWORD1  2011-10-20  rack  racking  racks  shelf  shelves  store  stores  storing

KEYWORD1  2011-10-01  frankenstein  monster  monsters  science fiction  sci fi  workout  workouts  w

KEYWORD1  2009-10-25  bobble  bobbles  bobbling  bobble head  bobble heads  bobbleheads  bobbleheads

KEYWORD1  2009-10-19  cat  cats  feline  felines  animal  animals  mammal  mammals

The Thinker, statue, sculpture, rodin,

KEYWORD1  2012-08-28  dog  dogs  canine  canines  pet  pets  animal  animals

artist cartoons, artist cartoon, funny, artist picture, artist pictures, artist image, artist images, artist illustration, artist illustrations

artist cartoons, artist cartoon, funny, artist picture, artist pictures, artist image, artist images, artist illustration, artist illustrations

punk cartoons, punk cartoon, funny, punk picture, punk pictures, punk image, punk images, punk illustration, punk illustrations

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good Morning Pengs.  Thanks for start, Gus.  I will take another RD today and let my sinuses run for me.  DDs will pay us a visit sometime this weekend Smile

Have a great weekend !!!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I forgot the ironic part of oversleeping my run this morning....I was dreaming I was running a half marathon! 

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

Dad on the run.

Hey everyone, took another RD lastnight, I did some stretching / massaging. I am going to go out tonight and just start off with some light running and see how it goes.

Have a chiro appt on Wed. We will see how that goes.

Mitch - Enjoy that HM! That's some cold weather. Its only getting down to like 33 here, unless that has changed since I last looked.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.