Beginners and Beyond

Running Shoe Eyelets (Read 145 times)

LRB

Many of you already know how to tie your running shoes using the top two eyelets:

I did not until recently, this video shows how it is done (link).

While she uses a Grandma knot to ties her shoes, I use a reef knot, but otherwise you use the same steps.  It actually is pretty simple

I have been running with mine tied in this manner for a few days and it's pretty cool.

The funny thing is I always wondered what the hell those eyelets were there for, now I know.  And if you didn't, now you know too.

Peace!

What is the benefit? Do you need extra-long laces?

Dave

Hip Redux

What is the benefit? Do you need extra-long laces?

Shouldn't need different laces.  The shop showed me how to do this because I have narrow ankles/heels and it helps the shoe fit a little better.

Zelanie

Here I am, almost 40, and I'm finally learning how to tie my shoes.  And it's stuff I didn't know before! Smile

bluerun

Super B****

I feel very smart now because I did know this!

Though with some shoes, I wonder who would need those eyelets -- I don't exactly have fat ankles and there is no way I'd be able to use them without cutting off my circulation.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Mmmmm...beer

Heading out for a run, giving this a shot, we'll see how it goes.  Barely had enough lace left for my double knot tho, but I like that there not enough laces left to flop around.

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Buelligan

I only use the outer extra eyelets so the laces are secured at an angle against the front of my ankle.  This seems to work better ergonomically than having the laces straight across the tendon that raises the front of my foot.

I use that reef knot too.  I never told my father he taught me how to tie my shoes incorrectly.

B-Plus

Heading out for a run, giving this a shot, we'll see how it goes.  Barely had enough lace left for my double knot tho, but I like that there not enough laces left to flop around.

You shouldn't need to double knot if you use the reef that lrb posted. Give it a try without the double.

Mmmmm...beer

You shouldn't need to double knot if you use the reef that lrb posted. Give it a try without the double.

I tried the reef knot before, and it came untied, maybe I did it wrong.  But I hate having my shoes come untied while I'm running, so after one attempt, I went back to double knotting.  Maybe I'll give it another shot.  Who knew tying your shoes could be so complicated? Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Wow.  I have always double tied and never knew there were other shoe tie methods that will make my brain explode.

Damaris

This is kind of hard to describe, but i'll try anyway, because I've had the best luck with tying my shoes this way:

After you've made your loop with the string in your right hand, and wrapped the left string around it, before you cinch it down, take the loop (that was the left string) and wrap it through the opening. Then cinch down. It creates a tight double knot that you can untie like a single knot. It works on every type of string.

They'll tell you that failure is not an option.  That's ridiculous.  Failure is always an option.  It is the easiest and most readily available option.  It's your choice though.

Dad on the run.

If you don't want your shoes to come untied use the Ian knot. I've been using it for months and never had to stop to re-tie a shoe.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Buelligan

I hate double knotting my laces.  I like just enough length for one knot.   My last few pair of shoes had the right length.

flarunner

Lace Locks. Shoelaces never come untied. Never.

I lace up my shoes, put on the Lace Locks, cut the shoelace off a couple of inches above the Lace Locks, burn the end so it doesn't unravel and I'm done. Never have to ties my shoes. And the shoes never come untied.

I've used both regular shoelaces and elastic shoelaces.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

I did know about this, one of the owners of a LRS showed me it a few years back when I had a shoe that was a bit 'loose' on my heel.  This really helps the shoe 'snug up' if it needs it.

Most of my shoes, however, are quite fine without using the top eyelets, so I'll just continue ignoring those top eyelets for those shoes.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt