Beginners and Beyond

Lazy Thursdailies (Read 40 times)

onemile

Sure, once you have put yourself through a hellish workout like that, you want everyone else to share the misery.

Onemile is trying to convince me do 6 of these.  Last weekend I talked her down to 8 x 1k, and maybe this weekend I will work up to 5 x 1 mile.

The plan I'm working off of tops out at 4x 1, but it's a 5/10K specific plan.  Although, looking at my 1/2 plan, it also tops out at 4.  But you and OM are cray. 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

According to that marathonfinder website, the Space Coast weather will probably cost me about five minutes compared to my Hartford time last year.  If that is all it costs me, I can live with that.  Space Coast is a faster course, but the heat makes it a slower race.

That's crazy!  Chicago v Space Coast is only 4:45 for me, but I think the Chicago temps included there are not the current ones.

Damaris

DavePNW

The plan I'm working off of tops out at 4x 1, but it's a 5/10K specific plan.  Although, looking at my 1/2 plan, it also tops out at 4.  But you and OM are cray. 

Yeah I've never seen a plan with this shit. My last marathon plan had 6 x 1 mile, but at tempo. (And a previous marathon plan had 7 continuous miles at tempo. ) I get these workouts from onemile, who gets it from her sadistic coach. Unless she's just making them up to have a good laugh.

And yes to the last part.

Dave

onemile

Yeah I've never seen a plan with this shit. My last marathon plan had 6 x 1 mile, but at tempo. (And a previous marathon plan had 7 continuous miles at tempo. ) I get these workouts from onemile, who gets it from her sadistic coach. Unless she's just making them up to have a good laugh.

And yes to the last part.

oh give me a break!

https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/the-best-10k-workout/

Half Crazy K 2.0

The McMillan half plans (level 3 and 4) have 5 x 1 mile at 5k pace plus 3 x 200. I tried it once, the miles were at 10k to HM pace. I did not do it when it showed in my calendar again. Once was enough. And no way hell can I even do 1 mile at 5k pace if it's not a race.

onemile

The McMillan half plans (level 3 and 4) have 5 x 1 mile at 5k pace plus 3 x 200. I tried it once, the miles were at 10k to HM pace. I did not do it when it showed in my calendar again. Once was enough. And no way hell can I even do 1 mile at 5k pace if it's not a race.

DavePNW

oh give me a break!

https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/the-best-10k-workout/

Well as you know I have no earthly idea what's in any plan other than a marathon plan.

MTA: Hey! He gives longer recoveries than you do.

Dave

zzyzx

Damn fire alarm. Was it really because of a fire? Or was it a drill? Do buildings have drills? You can tell I'm a parent--we have drills all the time.

I think it was just a glitch.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Well as you know I have no earthly idea what's in any plan other than a marathon plan.

I didn't even know there was such a thing as a plan OTHER than a marathon plan!

Damaris

DavePNW

I didn't even know there was such a thing as a plan OTHER than just running one marathon after another!

fyp

Dave

Runshortii

SRD for me.

i always find the first rep the hardest until I get into a rhythm. Thinking maybe I’ll register for Chicago tonight

Quickadder

I take the weekend off running, but walk a lot at work and do a lot of lifting. It seems to help any nagging injuries to heal up-taking two off in a row every week, and I'm just too pooped to run after walking all day- at least now, me being 57 and all.

OFR, just wait until you join the 60+ Masters, then you'll really be an OFR.

All this talk of training plans and sadistic coaches amuses me, probably because I've never had a plan or a coach. My aims are to enjoy running, not get injured and stay reasonably fit. I do occasionally wonder what a coach would make of some of my training runs though. For instance this morning, which will be my last run ahead of a 10K race on Saturday, I probably should have run 4 easy but ended up running 8 miles in 1:10:30 starting at 9:12 pace and trending down to last mile at 8:18 pace. Temperature was 20+ degrees cooler than last Saturday's race (6 miles at 9:00 pace), which may partly explain why it felt so much easier today. As a workout, I suppose this could have been described as 2 miles at MP, followed by 4 miles at HMP and then 2 miles at 10K pace, with no w/u, recoveries or c/d   .... and I would never have attempted that, let alone enjoyed it.

Started running at age 60.

AG 60-64 PR - 5K 25:45, 10K 53:28, HM 1:57:39, Marathon 4:32:09

AG 65-69 PR - 5K 26:11, HM 2:02:39, Marathon 5:04:47

Upcoming race: Four on the 4th 7/4/24 maybe.

oldfartrunner

IMO, workouts like this and 6x1mile @ 10K, are for experienced competitive runners-think college blasters and beyond for the most part. But once any runner has been doing hard workouts for several  years and plateaus off, pretty well the only way to get off the plateau is a greater training stimulus. It's either more volume in intensity-or faster running than they have done, of more total volume of miles than they were doing before, or a combo.

A different training focus can also bring about new PRs. A marathoner may drop mileage some, but up the Q of V02 max and lactate focusing on 5K type training. A 5Ker may benefit from a cycle of marathon type training. Sometimes we get in a rut and need something different to pull us out. Smile

In my experience and from observation, starting out the lack of endurance is the big issue. Once you got a nice base and develop your aerobic system some, speed becomes a glaring issue. Speed comes from working on it. Doh!  Most runners lack true natural speed (myself included), and we need to do hard intervals to develop our speed/lactate threshold/running economy/running muscles, as much as possible. This means doing fast running @ 1-2mile pace work pretty well every week. This is like lifting heavy weights to get stronger for the distance runner. This has the downside of being very hard on you, so you have to limit volume in order to not break down.

1-2 mile work is for speed what the traditional 2-2:30 hr. LR is for endurance- or building our aerobic system. It's like heads and tails on a coin. You need both or you are one sided. 1-2 mile speed is useable speed for the distance runner-we are not talking all out sprint  speed here. The best marathoners are/were fast in the 1 mile-5K too, because they have worked very hard around these type paces for a long time before turning to the marathon, developing their already good speed. The speed edge is what most recreational competitive runners neglect and don't work at, and wonder why they cannot run faster. 

Those that are naturally fast (think former 400-800 meter runners), that turn to distance running have a big advantage as a recreational competitive runner. They really don't need to push the speed edge-because they have plenty, but only do more easy aerobic runs and Tempo runs, with occasional V02 max work. Smile

After thinking on this, I guess I believe there is a negative gain when you do too much volume in one session. Better to break it up IMO. Something like this for the experienced competitor that has plateaued, similar to what I did in the past. The key thought is working faster than 5K pace to improve speed more.

Mon-12-16x200/200 JR(1-1:30) @ Rep.  Thu: 4x1mile @ 10k 400JR(2-2:30)   Sat 14-16 LR(2-2:30)

Mon-10-12X400/200JR (1-1:30) @ Interval   Thu: 6x1mile@ Threshold (1min JR)  Sat 14-16 LR (progression back through gears)

Rinse and repeat adjusting paces as you go. Good for 5K-1/2, but could probably up the LR and throw in a MP progression every three weeks and it would be a marathon schedule too. Smile

Of course if you are already doing three Q a week and more volume in each session-this probably won't help much.

oldfartrunner

OFR, just wait until you join the 60+ Masters, then you'll really be an OFR.

All this talk of training plans and sadistic coaches amuses me, probably because I've never had a plan or a coach. My aims are to enjoy running, not get injured and stay reasonably fit. I do occasionally wonder what a coach would make of some of my training runs though. For instance this morning, which will be my last run ahead of a 10K race on Saturday, I probably should have run 4 easy but ended up running 8 miles in 1:10:30 starting at 9:12 pace and trending down to last mile at 8:18 pace. Temperature was 20+ degrees cooler than last Saturday's race (6 miles at 9:00 pace), which may partly explain why it felt so much easier today. As a workout, I suppose this could have been described as 2 miles at MP, followed by 4 miles at HMP and then 2 miles at 10K pace, with no w/u, recoveries or c/d   .... and I would never have attempted that, let alone enjoyed it.

I'm catching up to you Quick!   58 in April!  I'll make a note to change it to- reallyoldfartrunner then.