Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES: The Final Tally (Read 36 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

You can always count on Damaris to be running a marathon soon:

05/01 Docket_Rocket - Flying Pig Marathon

I actually have a 50K this Saturday but 87F and 90% chance of rain with 20 miles of sand dunes made me do the fuck no, DNS for me.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Actually, 88F and 40% chance of rain. Still, fuck that.

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

I have a HM in four days and it's not getting enough attention with all this Boston shit flying around.  

DavePNW

I actually have a 50K this Saturday but 87F and 90% chance of rain with 20 miles of sand dunes made me do the fuck no, DNS for me.

You were planning to do this AND Flying Pig the next weekend? 

Dave

Cyberic

I have a HM in four days and it's not getting enough attention with all this Boston shit flying around.  

ETA:  Unless something changes, it's probably my last run-only race until September.  I has a sad.

You know what to do if you want attention

onemile

You know what to do if you want attention

lol

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

You were planning to do this AND Flying Pig the next weekend? 

Yes, I have done many like this before.  And two in one weekend.  Hello?

Damaris

DavePNW

Yes, I have done many like this before.  And two in one weekend.  Hello?

I know you've done plenty like this with road marathons, but did not recall you including sand-dune 50k's in the mix.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

My first and only 50K.

Damaris

Cyberic

Because nobody want to talk about baboon's half coming up, I'll talk some more about the Boston marathon.

How about this guy? James O'Brien on the baa.org site, wrote a post that starts like this:

Near perfect conditions greeted the 27,491 runners who lined up in Hopkinton for the 120th running of the Boston Marathon: temperatures in the low '60s; no humidity; a gentle, cooling breeze...

http://216.235.243.43/races/boston-marathon/results-commentary/2016-boston-marathon.aspx

So we're all complaining for nothing, since these were near perfect conditions.

LRB

Because nobody want to talk about baboon's half coming up, I'll talk some more about the Boston marathon.

How about this guy? James O'Brien on the baa.org site, wrote a post that starts like this:

Near perfect conditions greeted the 27,491 runners who lined up in Hopkinton for the 120th running of the Boston Marathon: temperatures in the low '60s; no humidity; a gentle, cooling breeze...

http://216.235.243.43/races/boston-marathon/results-commentary/2016-boston-marathon.aspx

So we're all complaining for nothing, since these were near perfect conditions.

I could boot his ass to the fucking moon.

And there had to be way more runners than that.

Baboon

delicate flower

He is not a runner obv.  The blog doesn't allow comments.  Those would have been fun to read.

<3

LRB

I could boot his ass to the fucking moon.

And there had to be way more runners than that.

There were 26,639 finishers according to baa.org, so maybe the 27,491 was the number of people who actually showed up to race, not the number who qualified.

LRB

So it doesn't look like I can defer my Newport registration, and I don't think I can train properly between now and June 4.  I could actually make almost as much money as I spent on registration by working that morning (have the chance to cover a shift), but it's the principle of the thing, you know.

So then I start thinking about how can I still manage to get out there and enjoy the day, even if I'm not running competitively.  I consider walking, but that just sounds like a long time to be out there and a good way to kill toenails.

Then I realize that if I do a 2:00/0:30 walk/run, my estimated finishing time is about what my marathon "run" times are (since I'm not a very good marathoner, just a determined one).

I have a stubborn pride that I want to be a marathon runner, not a run/walker.  I have nothing against those who do, it's just not what I want for myself.

But dammit, I could maybe finish the race like that?  This time, since I don't have a lot of other good options?  I like that better than dropping if I'm healthy on race day.  Might as well get out there and enjoy.

*Just saw this*

The problem problem here is you may be healthy on race day, but will you be the next day. That is the question I asked myself while deciding whether to run Boston or not. My whole thing was I didn't want to jeopardize my health by running it, and I only did it because my training the final four weeks leading to it indicated that I had a good shot of recovering from it.

And I am not sure I could use run/walk, 26.2 miles, and enjoy in the same conversation. It sounds like a suckfest to me and that's coming from someone who walked a half mile the other day during a marathon, it was awful! Run walkers actually train to do that. I'm not sure anyone can just show up and do it successfully, although I don't really know. Have you consulted with someone who knows?

LRB

I just saw this footage of a runner coming from last place to win a 4 x 400 relay. You might have to watch it twice to appreciate it.