Beginners and Beyond

Whatabouts Wednesday Penguins (Read 21 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Whatabouts: Things with which one is preoccupied.

So what are you preoccupied with today?

82 degrees after work yesterday and a very blue, cloudless sky.  Started my run/walk from one of the local YMCAs, went down to the San Antonio Riverwalk, then wound back to a local park and enjoyed being on some natural trails under beautiful shade trees, then out of the park and along a road that runs by the river and back to the YMCA.  Very nice outing on a beautiful day, one big loop that got me 4.2 miles done.   The weather was so pleasant, of course, that Mother Nature just had to screw with us again and so today we have 30 mph gusting winds, a temp in the upper 40s right now, and our high today will only be in the low 60s...and tomorrow morning we will have temps in the 30s again...a 50-degree drop in temp for us from the temp yesterday sheesh!  That Mother Nature is one Crazy Old Lady!

As for whatabouts:  today I'm preoccupied with work as we have a 'breakfast tacos' meeting later this morning with our new department Vice President.  She seems very nice from an initial 'meet-and-greet' introduction we had last week and has a lot of past experience in my area of expertise, which is good.  So I doubt things will change very much around here.  And, luckily, my work team still has our own 'old reliable' supervisor to "run interference" between us and the VP.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Hope the new VP is a runner, Scotty.  No leg pic?

URD #2 for me.  Knee is improving, but very stiff.  Dr. appointment tomorrow.

Off to work in the snow.  Have a great day !!!

Awood_Runner

Smaller By The Day

Hi guys!  So glad that I got outside to run yesterday.  This morning may be one of the worst travel mornings yet.  This is insane.

Improvements

Weight 100 pounds lost

5K 31:02 Sept. 2012 / 23:36 Sept. 2013 (Same Course)

10K 48:59 April 2013

HM 2:03:56 Nov. 2012 / 1:46:50 March 2013

MARATHON 3:57:33 Nov. 2013

From the Internet.

Morning pens! 2.55 recovery miles this morning. First was really slow (I can remember seeing maybe 1 other mile in the 11's in recent memory, during a group run where we walked a bit to let someone catch up), second had a big hill. Glad I got my legs moving and was happy to be outside - was 42 F at 5:15, so I went out with no gloves and only one shirt on!

We're supposed to get snow again tomorrow. If it's more than an inch I'm hibernating until spring. Ridiculous.

Bin Running

RD for me today. Haze is threatening again. 71 now. Over 100 is consider unhealthy for outdoor activities. High of 400 last year. Plane is still missing.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Most of my whatabouts are work, of which I have too much, and singing, since competition is about a month away.  Time to solidify interp, choreo, how we stand, costumes, makeup, and all the extraneous things like have we made arrangements to board the pets?  It's that crazy time of year!!  Hoping for a walk again today, maybe this morning again.  It's supposed to thunderstorm this afternoon, which is not great walking weather!

Scotty -- yeah, it seems like the higher up the admin is, the less it directly affects us peons.  Woo-hoo!!

Jerryb -- glad you're improving, at least!!

awood -- hope you can keep your cool with the travel!!

Lauren -- hope you either get less than an inch, or your bed is really comfy!!  Hibernating would be my choice, definitely!!

Bin -- glad you're ok, and have a good RD!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens...

I am preoccupied with getting things done around the house. Yesterday I fixed the front door, today the a bathroom faucet needs repair (I am hoping DW does it), new fence, bathroom re-model, etc...

Other than that, I think I will do a walk/slow jog on the track today while younger DD is in the pool. I am happy with my soreness, as strange as that sounds. I am still sore in certain areas, but not nearly like I thought I would be.

Scotty: breakfast tacos? Do you have any job openings at UTSA? Wink

Jerry: Good luck with the Dr.

Awood: Man, is that winter EVER going to end you guys? Crazy stuff.

Lauren: Good work on getting the miles in early. I prefer that as well.

Bin: Nice pics on FB. You are quite the artist!

HsM: Thunderstorm? Where are you again?

Hi to the other Pens to come.

Singer who runs a smidge

I'm in central VA.  Thunderstorms and 70 today, high of 38 tomorrow. 

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Dad on the run.

Hello Penguins! After being annoyed and upset with myself I decided lastnight to mix things up and try an interval workout. I didn't have high hopes considering I was feeling really down on myself but I thought maybe throwing some speed into things would help shake me out of the funk I was in. My calves were still a little tight but honestly they seemed to loosen up the longer I was out there, so all went well.

I did 5x .25 miles with my goal being between 7:45 and 7:59m/m and then I thought I would try and follow that with a mile between 8:15 and 8:30. Needless to say the 5x intervals really wore me out and there was no way I was holding a whole mile at the pace I wanted so I ran it as fast as my body would allow and followed with 2 miles to cooldown.

Here is what my workout looked like.

1 10:14.8 1.00 10:15
                      2 1:54.9 0.25 7:40
                      3 2:48.0 0.25 11:13
                      4 1:56.1 0.25 7:45
                      5 2:54.2 0.25 11:37
                      6 1:56.0 0.25 7:44
                      7 2:51.9 0.25 11:28
                      8 1:52.2 0.25 7:29
                      9 3:04.1 0.25 12:17
                      10 1:55.6 0.25 7:43
                      11 3:11.6 0.25 12:47
                      12 9:29.4 1.00 9:29
                      13 21:57.0 2.00 10:58

Total of 6.5 miles

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Bin Running

Jack, credit to my wife as she came up with it. I am just assigned to putting it together. Hee

Jimmy, as what Scotty said yday. Comparing yourself to others will probably make everyone miserable. Read his words if you haven't.

2015 Races

2XU HM - 29 Mar

Dad on the run.

Bin - I read them yesterday and I know they hold much truth, but sometimes its just hard to not compare.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

Singer who runs a smidge

If you figure out the secret to not comparing, let me know!!

hog4life

Jimmy, that is an impressive repeat interval workout, glad the calf felt okay.

Jack, sounds like you are quite the handyman, lol.

I'll be resting today, Thurs, and Fri, my work schedule is busy for the next few days, but mostly I want to be well rested for Sat 5k. Looking forward to seeing Jimmy again.

Dad on the run.

If you figure out the secret to not comparing, let me know!!

Be a hermit.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.